The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

XP rewards

CyberOnEso
CyberOnEso
✭✭✭✭✭
Something I am seeing quite often with regards to the new CP system is why should you get to have the max stats possible when you "haven't put the work in".

What this point misses is the fact that certain types of content give massively different XP rewards, for example, Trials give hardly any XP. This is because trials are intended to be end game content so why do they need XP rewards. With this new system, you will need vastly more champion points than you currently need to reach your character's maximum possible potential.
I am aware that they said 1200 is the end of vertical progress, however, sadly it isn't. Just go look on the PTS for yourself, you can still vertically progress WAY after 1200 due to the abundance of gold stars.

Firstly I think that as a player who has played for 6 years and has 12k+ hrs in the game, (But only has ~1500 CP, because 90% of my time is spent either preparing for or in a trial). I would personally believe that I have shown the game enough commitment to be able to reach the maximum possible potential out of my characters.
If I was a new player who wanted to join and play the game somewhat competitively I would be completely turned away by the fact that you will need to play for that long to be able to achieve your maximum possible potential.

Another testimonial that I would appreciate you reading
A friend of mine has every achievement in the game, every single one. But they are nowhere near close to the max CP (1722), they have played nearly every day for 6 (nearly 7) years (over 20,000 hours), but they are not even halfway to the maximum champion points. I would argue that if XP rewards were more balanced that they should be very close to whoever has the highest CP points in the game.

So, whilst I really hope you will reconsider the number of gold stars that are in the blue tree, to reduce the CP needed to stop vertically progressing. I really feel that you need to look at the system and see that you can still vertically progress after 1200 and that it shouldn't be too hard for a new player who wants to play competitively whether that be CP PvP or score pushing in trials to reach that goal if they are good enough. Playtime should not be too big of a barrier of entry for any competitive content.

I would humbly ask that you consider reevaluating the XP rewards in certain end game content. I feel like in order for the game to not become a skyreach grind then it is important to pay close attention to the XP rewards for all end game content, and ensure that all players are on a close XP/hr rate for doing whichever content they prefer to. Whether that is crafting, PvP, PvE dungeons, or PvE raiding.

Many thanks for your time, and I would appreciate any thoughts.
Edited by CyberOnEso on January 30, 2021 1:10AM
@CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got 1400cp atm and I will spend next 6 months in Skyreach only. I have tons of xp scrolls in bank but once they are used I'm gonna spend all my millions of gold to buy xp pots, once gold is gone then I'll buy scrolls from crown store. Let the grind begin.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You overlook the fact that, when they introduced a CP cap, they added a 50% XP penalty for people who were above the cap, so the people who played the most actually had a harder time getting CP than the people that played less and were below the cap.

I'm not sure yet how ZOS is going to handle the XP curve, but they said they will make it easier to obtain.

So we should all be having an easier time getting more CP, regardless of what we do.
    The Moot Councillor
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    I'm not sure yet how ZOS is going to handle the XP curve, but they said they will make it easier to obtain.

So we should all be having an easier time getting more CP, regardless of what we do.

I am well aware that ZOS is adjusting the XP curve, however, ZOS has said the following in the U29 Combat preview
    After 1200 CP or so, the CP gain rate will feel about the same as it did in CP 1.0 once you reached higher ranks.

So, whilst it will be easier to get to 1200, it will not feel easier after that, and you are still vertically progressing after 1200 CP.

At the moment, I am around 1500 CP, and am currently getting ~1 CP per day- playing for around 5 hours a day doing content I enjoy (dungeons and trials), I think that should be looked at- that is unfeasible for players to reach their maximum possible potential.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on January 30, 2021 2:22AM
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean they are using the same formula, but the "cap" is now 1200?

I think we're going to need ZOS to give us some numbers here.
    The Moot Councillor
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean they are using the same formula, but the "cap" is now 1200?

I think we're going to need ZOS to give us some numbers here.

I am looking forward to seeing the numbers, however, if the quote from ZOS is true I do not expect the XP required to gain 1 CP, above 1200 changing in U29.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    Firstly I think that as a player who has played for 6 years and has 12k+ hrs in the game, (But only has ~1500 CP, because 90% of my time is spent either preparing for or in a trial). I would personally believe that I have shown the game enough commitment to be able to reach the maximum possible potential out of my characters.
    If I was a new player who wanted to join and play the game somewhat competitively I would be completely turned away by the fact that you will need to play for that long to be able to achieve your maximum possible potential.

This is entirely false.
    1. They already stated the experience curve will be adjusted, yet it has not been adjusted on the PTS, so we need to wait for that to come out to actually get a feel for how well they scaled that.
    2. Just like every other time the CP cap leveled by 30, the exp curve was adjusted so earlier levels on that curve were easier to level, but beyond CP cap you had to earn exponentially more exp than players much lower than you.
      • For example, it may take 50k exp to level from CP 50 to 51, but it takes me 930k exp to level from 1150cp to 1151cp. After the update, the millions and millions of exp I earned from just 1100-1150 will probably be reduced to 200k/300k per level. Who cares.

So no, this doesn't hurt new players, it actually hurts vet players, the new player experience should be 4x as easier to level if the scaling from 810 is updated to 3600, but we don't know what that looks like yet so there is no point getting upset about it.

"Hurt" being over the top in that I and many other "over cap" players don't care at all because the last time we actually cared to grind for experience was 2+ years ago. Anyone who was at cap by 2016 has been above cap every single update, we didn't work for anything, we just gained levels for simply playing the game.

So no thanks, I applaud the fact that all players will get a way to play catch up the exact same way it was handled in patches prior, we're all mostly starting on an even playing field with of course some people like myself having a small head start on that scale. I could care less if someone is currently at 500 right now, but can get to my current 1150 cp within a few days, more power to the playerbase. It really doesn't mean anything.

And this, I didn't even know we earned 50% less:
    You overlook the fact that, when they introduced a CP cap, they added a 50% XP penalty for people who were above the cap, so the people who played the most actually had a harder time getting CP than the people that played less and were below the cap.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 30, 2021 2:45AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is entirely false.
    1. They already stated the experience curve will be adjusted, yet it has not been adjusted on the PTS, so we need to wait for that to come out to actually get a feel for how well they scaled that.
    2. Just like every other time the CP cap leveled by 30, the exp curve was adjusted so earlier levels on that curve were easier to level, but beyond CP cap you had to earn exponentially more exp than players much lower than you.
      • For example, it may take 50k exp to level from CP 50 to 51, but it takes me 930k exp to level from 1150cp to 1151cp. After the update, the millions and millions of exp I earned from just 1100-1150 will probably be reduced to 200k/300k per level. Who cares.

So no, this doesn't hurt new players, it actually hurts vet players, the new player experience should be 4x as easier to level if the scaling from 810 is updated to 3600, but we don't know what that looks like yet so there is no point getting upset about it.

"Hurt" being over the top in that I and many other "over cap" players don't care at all because the last time we actually cared to grind for experience was 2+ years ago. Anyone who was at cap by 2016 has been above cap every single update, we didn't work for anything, we just gained levels for simply playing the game.

So no thanks, I applaud the fact that all players will get a way to play catch up the exact same way it was handled in patches prior, we're all mostly starting on an even playing field with of course some people like myself having a small head start on that scale. I could care less if someone is currently at 500 right now, but can get to my current 1150 cp within a few days, more power to the playerbase. It really doesn't mean anything.

You miss my point, and I did not say anything that was false. I do not want it to be hard for new players to reach my CP, at all. I completely agree with the fact that they are making it easier to reach 1200 CP.

What I was asking for is they make it easier for all players to reach the maximum possible potential for their character in the new CP system.
    Which is nowhere near 1200, if you actually look on the PTS you will see that vertical progression goes on far beyond 1200 CP.

I want it to not be a grind fest for any player to reach their maximum possible potential of their character in order to be able to get as many players as wish to into competing in CP PvP and trial score pushing. You should not need to grind for the amount of time that will be required to reach ~1700-2000 CP that you need to actually reach the end of the new CP vertical progression.

My main point is that XP should be rewarded more fairly across the board and should distributed evenly regardless of what content you choose to do in the game, at the moment for example, trials gives FAR less XP per hour than some other types of content.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on January 30, 2021 2:59AM
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    I got 1400cp atm and I will spend next 6 months in Skyreach only. I have tons of xp scrolls in bank but once they are used I'm gonna spend all my millions of gold to buy xp pots, once gold is gone then I'll buy scrolls from crown store. Let the grind begin.

I took a year off from the game during greymore. Coming back to this update is not very encouraging. Having to spend so much time in craglorn to farm points to try and catch up is not sounding like a good time. Is group xp still nerfed like it was? Meaning only a group of 2 or 3 get the benefit, but more people you lose xp? If that is the case zos needs to implement large group xp again, because everyone is going to be farming like crazy.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »

I took a year off from the game during greymore. Coming back to this update is not very encouraging. Having to spend so much time in craglorn to farm points to try and catch up is not sounding like a good time. Is group xp still nerfed like it was? Meaning only a group of 2 or 3 get the benefit, but more people you lose xp? If that is the case zos needs to implement large group xp again, because everyone is going to be farming like crazy.

Ya Skyreach is still best to do with 2.
    Also they nerfed it. Not the dungeon itself but the fighters guild passive that gave 9 ultimate per undead killed. And also now you need to have fighters guild ability slotted. So we cant spam destro ults like we used to. Xp is still the same but the run may take about longer.
    So you may wanna start grinding now instead waiting.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is entirely false.

yes from start they made it this way if over cap so not only did they cap us they withheld xp too