Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who was Captain Margaux

Ashnarug
Ashnarug
✭✭✭
"The famous Breton merchant-explorer Captain Margaux hasn't been seen since her ship the »Golden Spriggan« sailed off over the horizon into the Sea of Pearls."

Do we know anything more of the unfortunate Captain. Just created a character named Nelrie Margaux, her orphaned niece, who inherited the house in Daggerfall.
During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they are as famous as advertised; not even famous enough to have a drink named after them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I don't think they are as famous as advertised; not even famous enough to have a drink named after them.

FYI, her full name is/was Rita Margaux. She definitely had a drink named after her.

(I will see myself out.)
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Homestead 2017 Interview -
    "Eis Vur asks: "As I read this catalogue of available houses and apartments, I have noticed that quite a few are being sold specifically because their former owners – a Captain Margaux, another Captain by the name of Izad, the jester-mage Z'za, and my dear friend Phrastus of Elinhir – are either dead, traveling, or have strangely disappeared, making their properties and furnishings freely useable by the Architects Guild. Wouldn't selling their property give your organization a bad name, especially if they returned from their whereabouts or if extended family wished to claim them?"

Broker Canthion says: "Title to a house must be free and clear of all encumbrances before a brokerage will consent to sell it, so you can be sure that every house in the catalogue is available for legitimate and permanent purchase. As for why some properties are tagged with famous names, that's just good marketing: houses formerly owned or occupied by celebrities generate more interest and therefore sell for higher prices!""

Ah, this is how the property is grabbed by fake relatives ;).. So, how much did you overpay the Architects Guild to buy that house and how many people believed in the story of an orphaned niece ;)? I guess the guild would badly resist laughter listening to your reasons of why they should sell you that house were that thing implemented in the game.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Good news from Wrothgar—but before that, some much-needed chiding. First, you could have told me that the X was silent, which surely you'd known the whole time I had been interviewing you for this case, and saved me from the laughter and knee-slaps of the good Captain Margaux's crew. They even tried to buy me one of their ... ails, they call them. "Frothy swill" would be a compliment—to either the drink or to you.

Moving on, I truly wish I'd been told more about where proprietor Margaux might have run off to than just "out to sea with a bumbling manservant". I'd only come to the Wrothgarian foothills on a faint lead, which turned out to be dead wrong, when I returned to Morkul Stronghold for supplies. It was there the good Captain caught my eye at a tented tavern, flexing an arm for her crew, balancing a stein on top.

Once I realized who she was, I tried to conduct the formal interview, but lost my official report form to the aftermath of a very loud drinking game called "Drink If You Can Hear Me". This letter will have to suffice, but I will make you wait to hear her answer as to whether she relinquishes ownership of the house.

I asked Margaux why she had left Daggerfall, and she said "Dagger? I hardly know her!" or something of the sort—I have a lot to learn of Bretonese idioms. So I asked again, this time after accepting the aforementioned ail, and the good Captain shared with me a song she wrote about the night sky from the Northern shore. I admit there was a humble beauty to her singing, but I did not see the "dance of the Divines" as sufficient cause for abandonment on the official form. Clearly getting nowhere at this point, I skipped the next 30 questions to the last—whether she will return for custody of the house. After she finished chugging her drink, she ignored the question and asked me to help her talk some Orc scholars out of a few maps. I decided to indulge her, mostly for the chance to prod true Orc scholars about the locale—and, of course, for the sake of the Guild. Margaux kept close watch of me on our walk to the scholar's camp, and asked if she could answer my question about her house in the morning, over breakfast. Lost in thought over the stars and my soggy report, I agreed, not quite realizing what I had agreed to. Or, maybe I had. The night sky is truly lovely out here.

So, yes, I found our answer: the good Captain is abandoning the property. Give the niece a chance to claim it, or sell it off to some adventurer with a dream. But you'll have to sort out an absentia report in triplicate without me. I've decided to extend my stay in Wrothgar for a few weeks to work on a good lead, and take notes on the coastal aurora.

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due
    Architects Guild of Daggerfall
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Good news from Wrothgar—but before that, some much-needed chiding. First, you could have told me that the X was silent, which surely you'd known the whole time I had been interviewing you for this case, and saved me from the laughter and knee-slaps of the good Captain Margaux's crew. They even tried to buy me one of their ... ails, they call them. "Frothy swill" would be a compliment—to either the drink or to you.

Moving on, I truly wish I'd been told more about where proprietor Margaux might have run off to than just "out to sea with a bumbling manservant". I'd only come to the Wrothgarian foothills on a faint lead, which turned out to be dead wrong, when I returned to Morkul Stronghold for supplies. It was there the good Captain caught my eye at a tented tavern, flexing an arm for her crew, balancing a stein on top.

Once I realized who she was, I tried to conduct the formal interview, but lost my official report form to the aftermath of a very loud drinking game called "Drink If You Can Hear Me". This letter will have to suffice, but I will make you wait to hear her answer as to whether she relinquishes ownership of the house.

I asked Margaux why she had left Daggerfall, and she said "Dagger? I hardly know her!" or something of the sort—I have a lot to learn of Bretonese idioms. So I asked again, this time after accepting the aforementioned ail, and the good Captain shared with me a song she wrote about the night sky from the Northern shore. I admit there was a humble beauty to her singing, but I did not see the "dance of the Divines" as sufficient cause for abandonment on the official form. Clearly getting nowhere at this point, I skipped the next 30 questions to the last—whether she will return for custody of the house. After she finished chugging her drink, she ignored the question and asked me to help her talk some Orc scholars out of a few maps. I decided to indulge her, mostly for the chance to prod true Orc scholars about the locale—and, of course, for the sake of the Guild. Margaux kept close watch of me on our walk to the scholar's camp, and asked if she could answer my question about her house in the morning, over breakfast. Lost in thought over the stars and my soggy report, I agreed, not quite realizing what I had agreed to. Or, maybe I had. The night sky is truly lovely out here.

So, yes, I found our answer: the good Captain is abandoning the property. Give the niece a chance to claim it, or sell it off to some adventurer with a dream. But you'll have to sort out an absentia report in triplicate without me. I've decided to extend my stay in Wrothgar for a few weeks to work on a good lead, and take notes on the coastal aurora.

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due

Hmm.. I don't remember this letter.. And that part about her niece.. I have just checked it and found no result - this letter does not exist. It's a fake, isn't it? Sorry, if I'm wrong on that, you just gave no sources to that text.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due

Hmm.. I don't remember this letter.. And that part about her niece.. I have just checked it and found no result - this letter does not exist. It's a fake, isn't it? Sorry, if I'm wrong on that, you just gave no sources to that text.

Yeah it's fic. That's why I didn't post a source

Edit: But it's definitely 100% true, unless we get a better story
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on January 21, 2021 11:39PM
    PC-NA
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due

Yeah it's fic. That's why I didn't post a source

Edit: But it's definitely 100% true, unless we get a better story

Yeah-yeah, I'd say it's 1000% true, hah :D. Ah, that was funny ;).
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭

The part about her niece Nelrie is mine - see original message (#1). Now that she knows her aunt is alive ...

thank you tsaescishoeshiner

Edited by Ashnarug on January 22, 2021 12:39PM
    During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashnarug wrote: »

The part about her niece Nelrie is mine - see original message (#1). Now that she knows her aunt is alive ...

Yeah, I've seen it, and it's actually the reason I was surprised I couldn't find that letter. The letter was written really well, and it could be a good part of the game. It was written credibly, and I almost believed it ;). The author (I guess it was you, Tsaescishoeshiner ;)) is a good writer, indeed.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've seen it, and it's actually the reason I was surprised I couldn't find that letter. The letter was written really well, and it could be a good part of the game. It was written credibly, and I almost believed it ;). The author (I guess it was you, Tsaescishoeshiner ;)) is a good writer, indeed.
    Ashnarug wrote: »

Glad you liked it! I'm just touched anyone read it to the end lol. Best wishes to your character

I hadn't ever thought much about this plain little Daggerfall house, and it was surprisingly fun to imagine a backstory for it. Wonder where Margaux and Aegilwyn will head to next ...
    PC-NA
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder where Margaux and Aegilwyn will head to next ...

I have heard rumors of the unlikely but apparently very happy couple taking a small boat and sailing off into the aurora-enhanced sunset to seek adventure. Not sure how much credit to put to those rumors, though. My sources in Wrothgar will sometimes sell me outright lies when actual news is too scarce for them to earn their pay.
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    There is another report that came out to my attention that she was spotted in Gideon. I hope it is not another goose chase as I spent almost a month in Wrothgar looking for her. Signed Nelrie.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due

Phenomenal writing skill right here, a true wordsmith ⚘⚘⚘
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Custodian Rakheesh,

Yours most truly,

Aegilwyn
    Field Agent
    Office of Diligences Due

I honestly thought it was from a letter in the game!