The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New guy around here. Any tips?

EmeraldFox
EmeraldFox
Soul Shriven
Hey guys. Im prettuy much new to the whole ESO game and was wondering an anyone give any tips to a starting player? This isnt the first time ive played an mmo just one with a ps4 controller as I play on the ps4
  • goldCoaster
    goldCoaster
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off all those numbers, stats, and worthless mumbo-jumbo things on the screen.

It's in the options.

Honestly, all that garbage should be turned off by default.

• Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't read negative forum threads unless you are looking for info on a specific problem. Seriously, those will make you think that it's the worst game in the history of humankind.
    Start leveling your riding skill asap. Also, if you are going to do crafting, start researching traits. Those take quite a bit of time.
    Take a look at the order of the stories, like here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/549674/someone-made-a-really-nice-flowchart-showing-the-recommended-order-to-play-this-game-sorry-if-dupe
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wherever the game starts you, I'd do that tutorial, then figure out how to get directly into the original Coldharbour tutorial which feeds you directly into your alliance's questline. More info on that here (thanks to @VaranisArano) - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide#latest

Don't fret your character creation choices - everything except your class can be tweaked/respec'd. And for class, that is what additional character slots are for.

So much to do all at once on that first character! Start horse training. Begin researching crafting items. Join the Fighters and Mages guild. Once you hit level 10, join the Undaunted. Level up all those guilds. Excellent resource on how all that works is here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

Stay abreast of what is going on via the forum here but overlook a fair amount of the complaining. Some folks are just whiners while others love this game and push passionately for changes/improvements they think are appropriate.

The game has so much to do and supports plenty of interests fairly well - ranging from solo to group dungeon/trial raids to PvP to housing and more.

Take your time and enjoy the beauty that is Tamriel in ESO.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Join the Fighters and Mages guild. Once you hit level 10, join the Undaunted. Level up all those guilds.
    Undaunted are from level 45, Cyrodiil from level 10, no?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    Join the Fighters and Mages guild. Once you hit level 10, join the Undaunted. Level up all those guilds.

I'm pretty sure that Cyrodiil is L10. I'm pretty sure that I join the Undaunted at L10 also and begin doing daily delves right away (once L10). The group dungeons are opened gradually as you continue to level up. The reason I remember about the delves is that most of my characters get most of their Undaunted leveling done by starting early and going slowly - like horse training. Lol. By the time I start thinking about group dungeons, I'm usually nearly done with Undaunted training so I've never paid too much attention to leveling the skill line via group dungeons. Good point though about Cyrodill. At L10, it is very helpful to do the tutorial for the easy skill points, then grab a couple easy to get skyshards while there. :)

I wanted to add another consideration for OP that people told me early on but I found it hard to believe as a newbie - but it is true. There are more than enough skill points to develop a character as a full combatant and full crafter. And focusing healing onto one character pays dividends when doing furnishings and simplifies learning motifs/recipes as well. It just takes a long time to get to the point where you have excess skyshards. My established characters now all have between 20-90 unused skill points.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on January 10, 2021 7:46PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that Cyrodiil is L10. I'm pretty sure that I join the Undaunted at L10 also and begin doing daily delves right away (once L10). The group dungeons are opened gradually as you continue to level up.
    Right, forgot about Bolgrul dailies.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two things to do every day that you won't regret:

1. Feed your horse

2. Do crafting research at each crafting station (just on one character, really). The research takes way longer than actually getting the crafting skill to 50. I could go a bit more in-depth about this, but this really pays off later on for almost any player
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join a friendly guild or two, you can join 5 total.
    Guilds are very nice for all sort of stuff and you meed nice people.
    Note trading guilds are mostly for trading stuff and you don't need this much yet.

Else I agree with others here, feed you horse and do research as this takes a long time.
    Take your time and enjoy yourself
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eat food

Put all points into Magic or stamina unless going to be a tank
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You get the letter for pledges at 45, but you can join undaunted way earlier then that. Just go to alliance city inn. I do believe I joined at lvl 8 or something.
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on January 11, 2021 9:18AM
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you don't like crafting you need to research the different traits in order to transmute, if you start this at the beginning it can save you weeks and months of research time. Transmute Station is a place where you can change the traits on your weapons and armour.
    I would focus Sharpened and infused on weapons, divine and impen on armour. Training is good to have as well to shorten leveling time on future characters.

I wouldn't stress on looking up guides unless you're wondering about a specific topic. But if you want to know a lot of things you can check out dottz beginners guide, it basically go through every topic in the game. Otherwise just enjoy the game.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on January 11, 2021 10:24AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting Primer (it is easier than you think, if you follow this)

Here is the thing about Crafting, you don't need it until End Game (post CP160) but you can level it in preparation with few to no skill points invested. Crafting can eat up 140 Skill Points to fully invest, so this will gimp your combat while leveling. Best to invest as few points as possible while leveling your character and crafting.

Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

While it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know learn all of these traits on everything before you craft anything. In fact, there are nice sets that you only need to know 2 or 3 or 4 traits to make. So, learn 2 traits first, then 3 etc. This way you can be making set items in just a few days. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good too, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on Head and Shoulder pieces for Transmuting later, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Axes, Bow

Tanks
    All Heavy Armors, Sword and Shield and maybe Staves (Ice is your tanking stick). Can add in Axes or Maces for the weapons if you want.
    For Armors, Sturdy, then Divines, Infused, Reinforced. Same with Shields but Nirn can be nice on a Shield.
    For Weapons, Infused, Sharpened, Defending. Charged for the Staff.

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Sharpened, Precise, Infused and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 traits on each piece of gear you will use. Eventually you will learn all 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?

Doing this you will be ready to invest skill points into Crafting when it matters and not have to spend months getting ready. Did I mention Trait Research and how much a time sink it is? The last two traits will take you a month each to learn, on each item you learn them on. Get started now, yesterday would have been better.
    Based on testing I did several months ago (so things could have changed a bit):

Mob Loot gives the most Exp
    Other Player Made and Alt Made give about 90% of the Inspiration of Mob Loot.
    Deconning stuff made on the same character gives about 10%, but you get a better chance of getting a Temper, Style and Trait back, important for deconning things with Nirn or rare Style Mats

Alt made is better than other player made as you don't have to deal with the friction of being able to send only 6 items at a time. You can just deposit a batch in the bank and decon them out of the bank. However:

I still think farming a public dungeon or overland grind spot is better as you gain character experience/champ points, skills, gold, set items on occasion, and have a net gain in Mats. Making and deconning items will burn up 70% of your mats on average. OK I guess if you have a ton of mats but I would rather use my Ruby stuff for making gear for my characters. I farm the mobs, sell the white items to pay for repairs, then decon what is left. This is how I leveled all my characters to 50 in Eq Crafting.

The only exception is with Glyphs, since most looted Glyphs are White and Improved Glyphs give so much more Inspiration, it is better to make Improved Glyphs on one character and decon on an Alt. Use Green up to about L10, Blue up to about L35, then Purple up to 46 or so. Then, learn all the runes you don't know, and that should get you close to L50. No need to make the CP160's unless you have a bunch of Potencies, CP150 or even CP90/140 Glyphs are fine for this process if you have more of those potencies.

Simple really. Make Glyphs on one character, and decon them on another. You level both Alts in Enchanting in about an hour, assuming you can buy or have the Aspects.

The game already provides the ability to make Intricate Glyphs, something you can't do with gear in fact. Use better aspects to make your Glyphs.

Green up to L15, Blue up to L30/35 and Purple up to about L45/48. At that point learn all the unknown Runes, and then finish off any leveling you need with some more purples. Enchanting is done.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to remember, a lot of guides are written with idea to maximize production to the Nth Degree, which can make sense when your leveling your 8th character. But it can really suck the fun out of the game on your first character worrying about it.

Here is a better approach:

The beauty of the game now is each zone drops a Magic Set, a Stamina Set and a Health (Tanky) Set. You can do the content in the zone and get the gear you need with some nice bonuses to help your characters. It drops in at least Green and Blue is common once you get around the 30;s. A lot of times it drops in the Training trait, but you really don't need to have every single item in Training. Just prefer it as a trait, but wear what you get. When you are done in that zone move on to the next and start replacing the gear with the stuff from that zone. You can usually go about 10 levels over the gear before it starts to get noticeable as needing to be replaced. If you get something that is higher level than your wearing, just swap it out as you go along. Again, don't worry about the traits while leveling. The game is buffing you anyway.

As for leveling crafting, you should do that, but don't be in a hurry to invest all the skill points you need for it. You need those points for combat and defense. Just decon all the loot you have left over after selling to cover any repairs you do. Research Traits on items you think you are going to use. Then do the other traits later on.

1. Collect all the Skyshards in the zone. Avoid any and all quests other than those that show up in the delves that have skyshards. These quests do not give set items for rewards so no loss there.
    2. Farm the dolmens a few times to get set jewelry that help your character
    3. Do the Public Dungeons including all the bosses and the Group Event
    4. Move to the next zone.

In doing this, I could fully gear up my character with level appropriate stuff, and it was helpful gear. May not have been the best, but you don't need the best while leveling. Any gear I farmed from Dolmens or PD's is repeatable, so I can get it at CP160 by just repeating. Then, I had all the content quests left for me once I reached CP160 as those can give you sweet Set Drops in good traits you want. And, Quest Experience is huge for gaining CPs once your past CP160. Kind of a waste before that.

In about 8 zones, I would be fully leveled in Mages, Fighters, Class, 3 Armors and Weapon Skills. Note to get the farthest in the least number of zones for Mages, concentrate on one Alliance for the first 5 zones. Then you only need a few more zones. Now you have only Undaunted to level, although I would get to almost 3 in that from Delve Achievements.

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • SeekerAssassin
    Turn off all those numbers, stats, and worthless mumbo-jumbo things on the screen.

It's in the options.

if you do this make sure you pay attention to the fights. There are a lot of mechanics that I see ppl not comprehend, my guess because they don't see damage numbers popping up. Example fights where you cant damage boss until X is done, Spindelclutch 2 comes to mind where you have to kill 3sets of adds before you can even damage the boss. Seen plenty of ppl go straight for the boss and dps him leaving the adds to someone else.
  • SimpleTea
    SimpleTea
    Nestor wrote: There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces

However, for Hunding's Rage, two of the set bonuses are weapons critical. I think weapons critical primarily benefits PVP players - correct?? I primarily am a PVE player, currently playing a stamina templar. So far I am only using a Spriggan set - currently the only set I have. If weapons critical bonuses are primarily beneficial for PVP players, can you suggest sets with bonuses beneficial for stamina templar PVE players (e.g., stamina, weapons damage, etc)?

Thanks.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's in the options.

This! Turn off all that junk that clutters your view during combat.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EmeraldFox wrote: »
    Hey guys. Im prettuy much new to the whole ESO game and was wondering an anyone give any tips to a starting player? This isnt the first time ive played an mmo just one with a ps4 controller as I play on the ps4

1) Don't worry about "messing up " your character with skills and stats. Everything is reverseable with a very reasonable gold fee.
    2) Food is important in ESO for the buffs. You will want to start ASAP.
    3) You can level up anywhere with anyone.
    4) Get you some lockpicks. They are found in containers, can be bought off guild traders or bought off general merchant vendors. I listed in order of least expensive to most expensive. Learn the lockpick minigame used on treasure chests. A quick tutorial vid on it wouldnt be a bad idea so you dont waste lockpicks. You need this for #5
    5) Go to a starter Isle such Bleakrock Isle, Stros M'kai or Knenarthi's Roost( the best one as many of the chest are near the shoreline and the island is flat). Find treasure chests and collect the loot. They provide you with some gold and green or sometimes blue gear. This gear has the training trait which is constant XP buff. Note: Loot in ESO is always level appropriate for you.
    6) You can be in all NPC guilds at the same time, you can be in 5 player ran guilds but player guilds are account wide( NPC guilds are not)
    7) There are over 450 skill points in the game( if you have access to all content). Don't feel like you need to really picky with them.
    8) Starting out id recommend doing a either a 50/50 split between health and magicka OR stamina, or doing a 1:2 split between health and magicka OR stamina, depending on if you wan to be magicka based or stamina based. Your max resource pool size affects the damage of abilities that use that resource. Its generally better to pick either magicka or stamina. If you are dying a lot then you should put more into health.
    9) You level out of gear in this game. When you are at the same level as the gear that is the most effective that gear is going to be. As you level, the gear stats become worse. Generally you want try to replace your gear every 10 normal levels and once during the champion levels before you hit champion 160.
    10) Loot is not shared in ESO. Everyone gets their own loot from everything. You also don't share XP. There are really no downsides in getting help in fights or helping in fights.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SimpleTea wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces

However, for Hunding's Rage, two of the set bonuses are weapons critical. I think weapons critical primarily benefits PVP players - correct?? I primarily am a PVE player, currently playing a stamina templar. So far I am only using a Spriggan set - currently the only set I have. If weapons critical bonuses are primarily beneficial for PVP players, can you suggest sets with bonuses beneficial for stamina templar PVE players (e.g., stamina, weapons damage, etc)?

Thanks.

Critical vs Base Damage vs Penetration is always a balance point. I like to have about 50 to 60% Critical Chance on most of my builds, and I am strictly PVE. I have a Dual Wield Spriggans and Hundings character that sneezes and takes out the PvE mobs. You can certainly do a build with Spriggans and something else besides Hundings. That is the joy of the game.

Once you are in the game and you get into end game Trials, your build will get more focused and may even change from trial to trial depending on how you approach them. But, for general purpose, you can't go wrong with Hundings as one of the sets. Although there are some new sets in the DLCs that may be a replacement.

PvP is entirely different, and the Critical Chance meta ebbs and flows. Right now, with the Heavy Armor meta, Crits are not as much of a thing.

• SimpleTea
    SimpleTea
    Thanks for the reply Nestor. There are certainly lots of stats in this game to learn and understand!