Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Decorating Is Very Expensive.

GrimTheReaper45
GrimTheReaper45
✭✭✭✭✭
Even decorating a house an average amount without doing anything to spectacular costs quite a lot of gold. Your probably looking at 300-400k to recreate the average rooms built for in game by zos if you add up the value of the times placed. I easily got 150k just adding up the items in a portion of the hallway outside the vault of miow...something in arteuem.

Would really like to see zos work on lowering the cost a bit. Increasing furniture mat drops (especially for mundane runes, heartwood, decorative wax) and lowering the amount of mats used in each item (Especially non furniture materials like upgrade mats, provisioning items, style materials, certain runestones). Not a huge amount but slightly to make the overall cost a bit more reasonable.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 26, 2022 1:24AM
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if it were cheap then no one would buy the items from the crown housing editor. :)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    600k is less than a week of writs on 18 characters. Doesn't sound like a lot of gold anymore doesn't it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are in control of the supply side since we can farm the materials. No one has to pay another player for in-game materials unless they choose to.

In fact, a higher price encourages more players to farm materials as it becomes more worth their time to farm and sell the materials. At that, the best source for upgrade matts OP specifically mentions is from refining raw wood, fibers, and ore.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    600k is less than a week of writs on 18 characters. Doesn't sound like a lot of gold anymore doesn't it.

The average player isnt doing writs on 18 characters thought. They probably doing 1-3. Also 600k isnt close to a full house, thats like 2 rooms.

Average low end furniture items sell for between 5-15k, we will say the average is 10k. There are definitely average items that sell for way above that though, like 30k.

so 10k times all 700 slot is 7m to decorate a house fully with just lower end crafted items. Thats a bit much for an average player.

Not saying to make it super cheap or easy to do but lets lower that a bit, like 4-5m for lower end decorating.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    We are in control of the supply side since we can farm the materials. No one has to pay another player for in-game materials unless they choose to.

In fact, a higher price encourages more players to farm materials as it becomes more worth their time to farm and sell the materials. At that, the best source for upgrade matts OP specifically mentions is from refining raw wood, fibers, and ore.

Sort of but there is an rng element too
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the market controls material prices, and as long as there are people who are too impatient to hold out for lower prices or farm the mats themselves, mat sellers will keep those prices up.
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to have every crafted set in your house you’re looking at spending a little shy of 50 million.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    I HATE decorating in RL and will never understand why anyone would want to do this in game. Each to their own but I'll never understand it. You say it cost money/gold as well.... really?
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grkkll wrote: »
    I HATE decorating in RL and will never understand why anyone would want to do this in game. Each to their own but I'll never understand it. You say it cost money/gold as well.... really?

Of course it costs gold, did you think chairs made themselves :D

Even if you're not really into housing like some of us, I think a lot of people want to at least have a home of their own and experience each different part of the game. The cost of housing turns a lot of players away, I think.

Some people are very creative and turn their homes into more than just rooms. You can create anything, and I mean anything inside your house. If you don't believe me, go into the forum search and type in "Giant mechanical chick with a fly swatter" haha. It's not just about two chairs a bed and a table (although I admit, most of my homes do fall into the two chairs-bed-table cliche, but I just prefer for my houses to feel lived in).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With mass farming that RNG element is averaged out. A 5% drop rate is significant with only 5 dice rolls since it is very possible one will not will the roll. With a thousand dice rolls it does work out to being pretty close to 5%.

I used 5% because we know that refining raw matts has a 5% chance to return a gold upgrade matt. If there is any question about the accuracy of my statement here @tmbrinks can verify this as he has accumulated information about this specific chance for years.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With mass farming that RNG element is averaged out. A 5% drop rate is significant with only 5 dice rolls since it is very possible one will not will the roll. With a thousand dice rolls it does work out to being pretty close to 5%.

I used 5% because we know that refining raw matts has a 5% chance to return a gold upgrade matt. If there is any question about the accuracy of my statement here @tmbrinks can verify this as he has accumulated information about this specific chance for years.

But it's not just RNG for mats, it's RNG for recipes too. I have all the mats I need to craft 100 Khajiit Brazier, Enchanted but do I have recipe? No. Do I have 20 million gold to buy recipe? Also no. You see the issue? :D
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »

But it's not just RNG for mats, it's RNG for recipes too. I have all the mats I need to craft 100 Khajiit Brazier, Enchanted but do I have recipe? No. Do I have 20 million gold to buy recipe? Also no. You see the issue? :D

While I doubt anyone has sold a recipe for furniture for 20M some things are intended to be rare. Listing an item for 20M is not the same as selling the item for that price. Very rare items will sell for a decent price. It is a matter of it being worth your time to farm it or obtaining the gold or just moving on. So yes, I see it and there is really no issue.

Also, OP is really talking about crafting matts.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I doubt anyone has sold a recipe for furniture for 20M some things are intended to be rare. Listing an item for 20M is not the same as selling the item for that price. Very rare items will sell for a decent price. It is a matter of it being worth your time to farm it or obtaining the gold or just moving on. So yes, I see it and there is really no issue.

It sounds like you just do not know about some of these rare recipes and what they do get bought, sold, and traded for.

And farming for them you may get lucky or you may not. And OP also talked about the cost of specific items, he said he added up the cost of items in a room. What I'm saying is the cost of mats is only half the cost of the game of housing. You have to be able to make it, or otherwise find someone to make it as well if you want to avoid exorbitant prices on traders.

So you can be like me and do 9 cormount dailies every day and hope today will be enchanted khajiit brazier day :D but that takes time that not every player has. That limits it availability.

Even some simple patterns, you are really are going to find if you trade writ vouchers for them or buy from other players. The chances of coming across them in urns along with other rare things are low, and if you want something specific, lower.

The cost to do writs can be a lot, or you can do cheap writs but also you will spend more time. Again there is even more rng because you cannot choose what random race pattern you will get from the box. And that's for simple, blue or purple recipes. Not even legendary ones that take longer.

The cost of housing is high.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you just do not know about some of these rare recipes and what they do get bought, sold, and traded for.

And farming for them you may get lucky or you may not. And OP also talked about the cost of specific items, he said he added up the cost of items in a room. What I'm saying is the cost of mats is only half the cost of the game of housing. You have to be able to make it, or otherwise find someone to make it as well if you want to avoid exorbitant prices on traders.

So you can be like me and do 9 cormount dailies every day and hope today will be enchanted khajiit brazier day :D but that takes time that not every player has. That limits it availability.

Even some simple patterns, you are really are going to find if you trade writ vouchers for them or buy from other players. The chances of coming across them in urns along with other rare things are low, and if you want something specific, lower.

The cost to do writs can be a lot, or you can do cheap writs but also you will spend more time. Again there is even more rng because you cannot choose what random race pattern you will get from the box. And that's for simple, blue or purple recipes. Not even legendary ones that take longer.

Again, some things are intended to be rare. Keep doing the time farming or farm the gold one way or another.

I also have no idea why you keep talking about writs. I never said anything about writs and do not care who does or does not do them. It is certainly not the only way to make gold. While I do writs and they do bring in much more gold than they cost, most of the millions I bring in a month is not from writs.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, some things are intended to be rare. Keep doing the time farming or farm the gold one way or another.

I also have no idea why you keep talking about writs. I never said anything about writs and do not care who does or does not do them. It is certainly not the only way to make gold. While I do writs and they do bring in much more gold than they cost, most of the millions I bring in a month is not from writs.

You don't do the writs to make gold, you do the writs to acquire the recipes which are needed to use the mats that you farmed to create furnishings for housing xD which is what we are talking about. But nevermind, it seems like you are determined to miss the point.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree that the cost of housing has to be high as it all depends upon the player. It boils down to how the player decides to furnish their house and how quickly. I generally take a laissez faire attitude on decorating my houses with them being decorated and completed in an organic fashion. I tend to farm everything I need and if I don't have a plan find an alternative furnishing or just leave that area incomplete until I can make the item myself. Also since many items I might only use once I've found buying the premade furnishing from a guild store is often an inexpensive way to obtain what I'm looking for. That being said I won't deny that I occasionally overspend at the Luxury Vendor but that is my problem not that of the game or anyone else.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually wanted to get into this in this game. Wanted to buy a house that hasn't been up for a looong time and decorate it like crazy so contacted support, but it seems like a brand new policy prevents them from accommodating customers and told to wait, (despite some items not coming back for years. You better buy when the company tells you to) so I'll probably go back to Conan exiles for house building/decorating but for those that really get into it here, how does it compare to other games like Conan exiles?
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    I actually wanted to get into this in this game. Wanted to buy a house that hasn't been up for a looong time and decorate it like crazy so contacted support, but it seems like a brand new policy prevents them from accommodating customers and told to wait, (despite some items not coming back for years. You better buy when the company tells you to) so I'll probably go back to Conan exiles for house building/decorating but for those that really get into it here, how does it compare to other games like Conan exiles?

I'm sorry that you had that experience :/

I had to do the same process to get my long house, but from what players have been saying, this policy is only a few weeks old. Before there was a chance that you could get your house depending on the agent who answered your ticket. Now it seems they are saying no across the board, which does not make a lot of sense.
    I disagree that the cost of housing has to be high as it all depends upon the player. It boils down to how the player decides to furnish their house and how quickly. I generally take a laissez faire attitude on decorating my houses with them being decorated and completed in an organic fashion. I tend to farm everything I need and if I don't have a plan find an alternative furnishing or just leave that area incomplete until I can make the item myself. Also since many items I might only use once I've found buying the premade furnishing from a guild store is often an inexpensive way to obtain what I'm looking for. That being said I won't deny that I occasionally overspend at the Luxury Vendor but that is my problem not that of the game or anyone else.

But, you do understand that while yes - organically requiring items and patterns is fine, that if you wait to pick up a recipe from an urn it can takes years, if you ever find it that way at all? That is where the RNG comes in.

If housing if what you do for fun, then you'll want different avenues for acquiring different things. Which there are, but they are all costly in some manner, be it in gold, crowns, or time.
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I can empathize... despite costs, There is pride in ownership and a job well done. I just grinded and fully furnished two maxed eso homes this weekend. A fortress at Mournoth and my little Golden Griffen in summerset. That is always a great accomplishment to feel you have everything just the way you want it... Then comes the ongoing mini game of carefully scrutining what can go and what stays when new or better furnishings become available.

Now I'm broke and still have about 50 slots to go in the antiquity home.
    I think that makes 8 homes.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »

I'm sorry that you had that experience :/

I had to do the same process to get my long house, but from what players have been saying, this policy is only a few weeks old. Before there was a chance that you could get your house depending on the agent who answered your ticket. Now it seems they are saying no across the board, which does not make a lot of sense.

But, you do understand that while yes - organically requiring items and patterns is fine, that if you wait to pick up a recipe from an urn it can takes years, if you ever find it that way at all? That is where the RNG comes in.

If housing if what you do for fun, then you'll want different avenues for acquiring different things. Which there are, but they are all costly in some manner, be it in gold, crowns, or time.

Housing is a large part of my end game. I'm not going to deny that RNG can be stingy to the extreme but if I have to fret over getting a plan or particular furnishing then for me the fun goes out of it. By not worrying about or being obsessed with a particular furnishing costs are minimal be it gold or Crowns. I never have considered my time spent on any game activity an issue since filling my free time and relaxing is why I play.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grkkll wrote: »

What is amusing is that I agree with RL. It seems frivolous to me to collect more and more stuff and place it just so, to collect dust...

BUT in game I regularly break my bank. Housing decoration goes in fits and starts, room by room. I loot a nice plan and get a bee in my bonnet about one of my houses' empty rooms. Next thing I'm broke but have a nice bedroom/kitchen/library/garden or pub in an otherwise empty house. Then I've had enough of housing until the next time I have gold :)
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't cost me that much. with all the superfluous items I find along the way, making a home feel warm and comfy costs very little.

Of course, I am not looking to make the place spectacular, or something to show off (mostly because there is no easy way to show off your house since passersby can't look in ). I decorate for the immersion of a character 'owning' the place, making it more 'homey' than decorative.

And I get the cheap stuff when i need to buy something like a table or chairs or meals and drinks.

:#
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't do the writs to make gold, you do the writs to acquire the recipes which are needed to use the mats that you farmed to create furnishings for housing xD which is what we are talking about. But nevermind, it seems like you are determined to miss the point.

Pardon the confusion. It was based on your first post in this thread was complaining about players would not buy crown store furnishings if it was cheap in-game. Then you talked about the cost of doing writs as though they are costly, when they are actually a source of great profit.

Please do not throw shade merely because you disagree with someone. I grasped what you had to say. I just disagree.

Have a great day.

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Pardon the confusion. It was based on your first post in this thread was complaining about players would not buy crown store furnishings if it was cheap in-game. Then you talked about the cost of doing writs as though they are costly, when they are actually a source of great profit.

Please do not throw shade merely because you disagree with someone. I grasped what you had to say. I just disagree.
    It wasn't about disagreeing, you just probably misunderstood (it happens, that's fine). You probably assume they are talking about daily writs. From their comment however, it seems they are talking about master writs. Not the same thing.

Master writs are one of the ways in which you can target recipes to acquire (you can trade vouchers for blue and purple recipe envelopes from specific zones, hoping to get a specific rare recipe to drop. Master writs cost money to make, rather than generating money as normal writs do, and if someone wants to farm a lot of writ vouchers to play the recipe lottery or to purchase furnishing plans directly from the Master Writ Mediator, they need to buy master writs from other players (and the good cost/voucher ratio ones are expensive, while the cheap trash isn't even worth crafting - looking at you, JC :lol:).

Writ voucher furnishings are the 2nd most expensive type of furnishing, after the 1st extreme-RNG ones (like Daedric Fence, Section, or Dwarven Table, Assembly, or Ayleid Bookshelf, Cluttered). Since voucher furnishing recipes are expensive to get, and the furnishings are expensive to craft (they are all gold quality), they tend to have high prices if you need to buy them from players who craft them for profit. And only extremely few people have those super rare recipes, so even if you can find furnishings listed at traders (often there is none), they will have a huge markup. So that's why decorating your house reliably can be greatly rng-based and a huge expense.

Is it statistically possible? Yeah. Is it a disproportionately exorbitant and random time-and-gold sink? Also yeah. So saying that 'it's supposed to be rare' doesn't address people's points that 'it shouldn't be this rare'. One is simply about how things are, the other is trying to discuss how things could be better, potentially. Currently, even super cheap furnishing styles cost much more, because the price of Heartwood was driven up by Charity writs, and you rarely get it from nodes - so you see items listed for 3 or 4 times as much as they usually are. I, at least, have sympathy for people trying to decorate their houses, especially new players.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

It wasn't about disagreeing, you just probably misunderstood (it happens, that's fine). You probably assume they are talking about daily writs. From their comment however, it seems they are talking about master writs. Not the same thing.

Master writs are one of the ways in which you can target recipes to acquire (you can trade vouchers for blue and purple recipe envelopes from specific zones, hoping to get a specific rare recipe to drop. Master writs cost money to make, rather than generating money as normal writs do, and if someone wants to farm a lot of writ vouchers to play the recipe lottery or to purchase furnishing plans directly from the Master Writ Mediator, they need to buy master writs from other players (and the good cost/voucher ratio ones are expensive, while the cheap trash isn't even worth crafting - looking at you, JC :lol:).

Writ voucher furnishings are the 2nd most expensive type of furnishing, after the 1st extreme-RNG ones (like Daedric Fence, Section, or Dwarven Table, Assembly, or Ayleid Bookshelf, Cluttered). Since voucher furnishing recipes are expensive to get, and the furnishings are expensive to craft (they are all gold quality), they tend to have high prices if you need to buy them from players who craft them for profit. And only extremely few people have those super rare recipes, so even if you can find furnishings listed at traders (often there is none), they will have a huge markup. So that's why decorating your house reliably can be greatly rng-based and a huge expense.

Is it statistically possible? Yeah. Is it a disproportionately exorbitant and random time-and-gold sink? Also yeah. So saying that 'it's supposed to be rare' doesn't address people's points that 'it shouldn't be this rare'. One is simply about how things are, the other is trying to discuss how things could be better, potentially. Currently, even super cheap furnishing styles cost much more, because the price of Heartwood was driven up by Charity writs, and you rarely get it from nodes - so you see items listed for 3 or 4 times as much as they usually are. I, at least, have sympathy for people trying to decorate their houses, especially new players.

Thank you - this is exactly what I was trying to get across (and I was perfectly clear about it, as I specified writ vouchers but people here like to stop reading once they've already dismissed what you're saying 🙄).

You need more than just mats to follow through on your housing ideas, and yes they cost money. That can be seriously daunting to a lot of people.
    Edited by Faiza on January 1, 2021 11:08PM
  • pokaone
    pokaone
    furnishing is actually a good patrimonial thing in eso, as everything which is not crown store bought is resellable after use, so its an investment, and if your aware and buy at a low price, you'll can get your money back any time.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    decorating is more like an endgame non combat content. You buy some today, you buy some next day etc. You don't need to decorate your house in 4 hours.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zKBtpnR.png
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was so thrilled to get the FREE psijic house (way back when)! But then I spent some 2 to 3 million gold buying the achievement furnishings for my FREE house! That's with no other decorating (no furniture or rugs or crafting stations and such). p.s., I love my free house.
    Edited by HumbleThaumaturge on July 25, 2022 9:32AM
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was so thrilled to get the FREE psijic house (way back when)! But then I spent some 2 to 3 million gold buying the achievement furnishings for my FREE house! That's with no other decorating (no furniture or rugs or crafting stations and such).

Well not like they said it would have everything, you did get a free house just not a ton of other free stuff.
    Edited by RedTalon on July 25, 2022 9:16AM
This discussion has been closed.