The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Give the hammer some chaos

DTStormfox
DTStormfox
✭✭✭✭✭
As some of you know, at least those who play PvP in Cyrodiil, every now and then Volendrung spawns.
Volendrung is a very powerful item that causes great mayhem in Cyrodiil, and everybody wants to grasp it. I am pretty sure that Daedric Prince Malacath is very happy with this.

As soon as Volendrung spawns, a massive zerg forms around this hammer. People all are attracted to its location and everybody wants it. This type of effect reminds me of the chaos ball in the similarly named Battlegrounds game mode. The chaos ball, however, has a negative area of effect for the team that carries the ball. This disincentivizes players to stick too close to the ball when it is carried by a friendly player, and also makes it harder to carry the weapon for a longer period of time.

This made me think about Volendrung. Why does Volendrung not have such a mechanic? Why does Volendrung only provide positive effects to surrounding friendly players? For example, Pariah's Resolve (A Volendrung ability) gives Major Brutality, Major Endurance, and Major Expedition to the carrier and nearby group members.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't want to nerf Volendrung. I want ZOS to disincentivize players to form a massive zerg around an already powerful item.
I don't think that Volendrung should deal damage to players within a certain radius of the carrier. I think that would take too many calculations for the server to handle. Instead, I rather see that, for example, using one of its abilities, applies a negative status effect to players within a certain radius, such as major (or minor) vulnerability or defile. This may not be an ideal solution but it may disincentivize players from balling around the hammer because it also gives a negative effect to the group balling around it.

I know, this may be a stupid idea. But I am just kind of 'thinking out loud' here to see what other people think about this idea and how Volendrung adds to (or removes from) the fun in Cyrodiil.
Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
Veteran PvP player

• prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it did have a mechanic like that? Something about needing to keep your kill-count up or something bad happens.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't it kill you?
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then the hammer group is smaller, and the other faction will just take it if you have a smaller group.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it did have a mechanic like that? Something about needing to keep your kill-count up or something bad happens.

Yes, when you don't kill enough players, the weapon will kill you eventually.
    I am not sure if this has an effect on the people around the carrier, and that is kind of what I was aiming at because Volendrung causes a lot of people to accumulate on one spot on the map.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lately been seeing more and more players just dump the hammer in the lake...

more often than not, the hammer just ends up in the hands of the already dominate faction...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like it when people zerg with the hammer, more often then not it makes all factions zerg towards the location of the hammer, either to join the offensive or to defend against it. I've seen many times where the campaigns had nothing going on, everyone was spread out and nothing of note was happening, and all of a sudden someone got the hammer, now we have big faction vs faction fights and a clear direction of movement and a lot of great fun battles. I have always been a strong defender of the zerg nature of Cyrodiil cause I believe in the idea of factions vs factions, more so than small scale battles, they are necessary sure, but not the intended sole way to play Cyrodiil.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've held the hammer for too long and it killed me without warning as it ate my soul. It has an insta kill mechanic for the user while the chaos ball hurts the welder and those around them on their side over time. Honestly, I prefer the hammer as it is now as you can't corner camp with it and heal through it as it'll kill you instantly. It forces you to use it.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I want to know is why there's loads of spawn points around the map yet it only ever spawns at the 3 same faction locations
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I want to know is why there's loads of spawn points around the map yet it only ever spawns at the 3 same faction locations

Because they plan to add other weapons in the future which will use the other spawn points.