Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

The future of Alliances

Bountyultrasoft
Bountyultrasoft
Soul Shriven
So let me start this off by saying that I am a returning player ,but I am new to the forums. I am not sure if this is a discussion that happens here often, but I did some browsing and I didn't find anything. What I'm talking about is factions and no I'm not asking which faction is most popular or which is the best for pvp, what I'm talking about is the whole idea of them. I remember before the games launch factions were a central selling point of the game, tamriel was divided between factions and you as a player chose to side with one of them. Now at first when the game launched this was true.... sort of. It seemed like right before launch they had a change of heart and decided to allow any race in any faction with the upgrade. For a while regions were faction locked and you could only interact with people in your faction. Now this might be restrictive, but in a way it gave you a sense of faction pride, the other alliances were the enemy after all. As time has passed it seems like ZOS has completely abandoned the idea of faction identity, the only other time I can remember they did something to make you feel a sense of faction pride was in the Imperial City dlc. After the One Tamriel update it feels like the idea of 3 factions was abandoned completely and now it only serves a purpose in Cyrodill. I was questing in Stonefalls the other day and I'm not going to lie that it felt a little strange having the whole zones story be about fighting the DC when I myself am a DC member. Don't get me wrong, I loved the One Tamriel update, having the ability to do whatever you want with whoever you want is awesome, all I'd like to see is just a little more love for the factions outside Cyrodill. How? You might ask, well something that I can think of is how about in New Chapters or new DLC we have slightly different stories based on our faction. Maybe the interests of the DC are different than those of the AD therefore your story is different. How about having us interact more with our faction leaders, I can't remember the last time I saw High King Emeric. Honestly just anything to remind of us of the choice we made when we created our character and have our faction mean more than just the color over our heads like it currently is. I'd love to hear what you guys think about this or if you are fine with how things are right now and I'm just in a small group of people who like to see stuff like this.
Edited by Bountyultrasoft on December 22, 2020 7:12PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was questing in Stonefalls the other day and I'm not going to lie that it felt a little strange having the whole zones story be about fighting the DC when I myself am a DC member.

Before you embark on the Cadwell's Silver quest, @Bountyultrasoft, Cadwell himself literally tells you that there might be some strange plot happenings when in the shoes of an Ebonheart Pact player ... so that shouldn't be a surprise to you:

"Cadwell has approached me and offered me a chance to see how events might have played out if I'd washed up on the shores of a different alliance after escaping Coldharbour."

I think your ideas are good.

However, I wouldn't be too keen on seeing these types of enhancements any time soon ... since it requires the developers to spend time on the base game (rather than new content).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 22, 2020 9:39PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember before the games launch factions were a central selling point of the game, tamriel was divided between factions and you as a player chose to side with one of them.

Technically, we as players have never been forced to side with one faction over the other. It has only been characters that have been bound to an alliance.

PvP is still faction based and in reality that is the only place, it really makes sense. In PvE, it is a personal RP mindset. Considering we have always been able to see the questing in all three alliances in one character it is the RP perspective one chooses to hold onto that makes the difference.
    Options
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think it sucks that caring about your faction has diminished over the years.

I like the Idea that factions affect questing interaction. Could be a nice way to make them feel more relevant outside of pvp.
    Options
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    ahh when I started playing this I was not much looking at all dialogs because of how much there was of it...
    but long time later when I started to care much more about enviorment surrounding me....I started to feel so bad when I was going trough lets say this stonefalls as DC player and literally every aggressive mob including my alliance was attacking me

if ZOS is so lazy with oing different story for basic zones of alliance purposes...it would be nice to atleast your faction npc on any map wont attack you, will be just neutral like mudcrabs so you wont be forced to fight with your alliance soldiers on enemy territory when you dont ant need, when you dont need to do
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fighting your own faction in the other questlines always felt wrong to me, but it was always see it from a different point of view so I could shrug it off. I also only ran into other Covenant members so I never had a feeling of betrayal... Until of course One Tamriel happened. While I'm happy for all the improvements to ESO over time (ignoring performance of course) I'd love for your alliance choice to mean something outside PVP again.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Hoping in the future we get a pve version of cryodiil, as Abnur Tharn before he went boom did explain during quests he wants to find an end of the all banners war. And in a magical world being dead might not mean the end.....

......going the way he did he might of been able to pull somehting off that pulled the alliance war out of the way, locking in its own time maybe......meaning we can fully explore cyrodiil (maybe even help the empire on tract to reforming) and people can still have the pvp map to play in. :) might even lock the whole plane meld story behind that story arch....
    Edited by Chaos2088 on December 23, 2020 1:34AM
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed something myself. When playing through Pact zones as a Pact character, none of the friendly Pact soldier NPCs were Necromancers. Not a one. But then over in Auridon theres an area that has a Pact landing site. Literally every other hostile Pact NPC was a Necromancer.

Only the bad Alliance guys are Necros it seems.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I noticed something myself. When playing through Pact zones as a Pact character, none of the friendly Pact soldier NPCs were Necromancers. Not a one. But then over in Auridon theres an area that has a Pact landing site. Literally every other hostile Pact NPC was a Necromancer.

Only the bad Alliance guys are Necros it seems.

As a DC character, I noticed the same thing about the DC villains in the EP zones-- not necessarily that they're necromancers, but that they're evil sorcerers or alchemists who want to turn poor, innocent EP citizens into zombies or "living dead" plague victims. It's like each of the three alliances sent their worst undesirables into enemy territory to wage war. You can imagine the "good" nobles back home discussing what to do about their troublesome fellow nobles. "Ah, let's promote them and send them off deep into enemy territory to fight in the war! If we're lucky, they'll turn everyone in enemy territory into zombies and help us win this war. And if we're really lucky, they'll get killed doing it, so we won't have to worry about them coming home after the war and turning our own citizens into zombies."
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know, back when the game started, the factions were locked. Locked to the point where, if you didn't get the Imperial edition with "any faction/any race", you had to pick your character according to which faction the race belonged to. You wanted to be a khajiit? You were going to be Aldmeri Dominion. You wanted to be a magical Breton? Daggerfall Covenant. You wanted to be a tanky two handed weapon using Nord? You were in Ebonheart. Period. They did offer, eventually, the Explorer's package, which was just a different name for "any faction/any race" because people were complaining they couldn't make an Argonian healer who followed Ayrenn; or a Breton who was fed up with a king who let vampires and undead run riot through his lands and wanted to follow Jorunn.

The faction stories were locked, too. You had to run the story through your faction's zones, and weren't allowed to go anywhere other than your faction. The zones were leveled, so if your "still wearing coldharbor jammies" level 2 was bored with Stonefalls and wanted to go to The Rift, they'd die about three steps in, when a level 50 sabercat got the munchies. And people complained; they'd level up as fast as possible, get the best gear possible, and one shot enemies in the starting zones. They'd move on to the next zone for a challenge, and end up over leveled for the next one.

People complained they didn't want to make alts. They wanted to do everything everywhere with one character. The didn't want to do achievements on alts. They didn't want to have to use an alt to see the stories for the other two factions. So ZOS listened, and Caldwell's Silver and Gold happened. You could start the other factions from the beginning, as though your character had chosen those factions from the start.

People still complained that the factions were too rigid and linear; they wanted to be able to do quests even if they weren't doing that faction yet. So One Tamriel happened. And now anyone can do any quest in any faction in any order. Great for long time players maybe, sucks for new players who have the opportunity to be totally confused about where to go and what to do next. But, it is what a lot of players wanted, and what they ranted about.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Fighting your own faction in the other questlines always felt wrong to me, but it was always see it from a different point of view so I could shrug it off. I also only ran into other Covenant members so I never had a feeling of betrayal... Until of course One Tamriel happened. While I'm happy for all the improvements to ESO over time (ignoring performance of course) I'd love for your alliance choice to mean something outside PVP again.
    Back then you had to do Cadvel silver and gold in order it made much more sense as it was obvious it was an alternate world line who was obviously shoehorned in so you could do all quests on one character.

After one Tamriel you can do quests in any order who makes this less an alternate timeline.
    Now as AD its not many places you fight AD in silver or gold, yes its once in Shadowfern and a few optional quests.
    You don't need to do all the quests to get the achievements.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love it if they released a chapter which would resolve the conflict between the factions which is obviously something that happened in the lore anyway, maybe this would be the final chapter though to fully close out ESO.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    I would love it if they released a chapter which would resolve the conflict between the factions which is obviously something that happened in the lore anyway, maybe this would be the final chapter though to fully close out ESO.

I do just want the war to be over. Create a new PvP area to replace it and turn over Cyrodiil into a refurbished PvE zone
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah i prefer the freedom.
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will defend the Pact against any invader... but I have always been less happy about the alliance as a whole.

My characters have always been into the well-being of their own race (the Dunmer) and the civilians living in Dunmeri areas (e.g Vvardenfell) but far less interested in following Jorunn. There are very few Nords who don’t actively get on my nerves. This doesn’t help.

I’d love to see a return to factional stories though. Resolving a lot of the ongoing issues in the base game zones would be awesome. A way to rebuild your faction and your faction allegiance.
    Edited by Iluvrien on December 24, 2020 1:55AM
    Options
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    I will defend the Pact against any invader... but I have always been less happy about the alliance as a whole.

My characters have always been into the well-being of their own race (the Dunmer) and the civilians living in Dunmeri areas (e.g Vvardenfell) but far less interested in following Jorunn. There are very few Nords who don’t actively get on my nerves. This doesn’t help.

I’d love to see a return to factional stories though. Resolving a lot of the ongoing issues in the base game zones would be awesome. A way to rebuild your faction and your faction allegiance.

I have a question that is bugging me since the start of this war. At this point the dunmer have literally 3 living gods siding with them. How the hell are they not winning the war?
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silaf wrote: »

I have a question that is bugging me since the start of this war. At this point the dunmer have literally 3 living gods siding with them. How the hell are they not winning the war?

Oh, GOOD question!

[Disclaimer: I have Pact characters. I still wonder why....]

@Cygemai_Hlervu - I know you must have some insight here.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 24, 2020 2:47AM
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, having the living gods under attack from daedric princes kinda means they're a little tiny bit busy not dying. Holding their own, barely, yes. To end the immediate threats, including another end of the world crisis, they're depending on your character. They aren't going to be worrying about the war in Cyrodiil at this point; then with the Sixth House and Dagoth Ur rising, the Blight and the Ghost Fence around Red Mountain, their powers are going to be split for the foreseeable future. At least until Azura's chosen returns.
    Options
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironically this is exactly how I feel about my alliance, except it's AD. I'll defend the khajiit with everything I have, but don't care about the war in any way. If khajiit were in a different alliance then I would follow.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
    Options
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really know what their reasoning was as I left for awhile after launch and when came back after One Tamriel but if it got anything like WoW on the US server then it was because of severe population imbalance. Horde became so dominant on my battlegroup all the Alliance cities were deserted and the auction house didn't even work.
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So let me start this off by saying that I am a returning player ,but I am new to the forums. I am not sure if this is a discussion that happens here often, but I did some browsing and I didn't find anything. What I'm talking about is factions and no I'm not asking which faction is most popular or which is the best for pvp, what I'm talking about is the whole idea of them.

I remember before the games launch factions were a central selling point of the game, tamriel was divided between factions and you as a player chose to side with one of them. Now at first when the game launched this was true.... sort of. It seemed like right before launch they had a change of heart and decided to allow any race in any faction with the upgrade. For a while regions were faction locked and you could only interact with people in your faction.

Now this might be restrictive, but in a way it gave you a sense of faction pride, the other alliances were the enemy after all. As time has passed it seems like ZOS has completely abandoned the idea of faction identity, the only other time I can remember they did something to make you feel a sense of faction pride was in the Imperial City dlc.

After the One Tamriel update it feels like the idea of 3 factions was abandoned completely and now it only serves a purpose in Cyrodill. I was questing in Stonefalls the other day and I'm not going to lie that it felt a little strange having the whole zones story be about fighting the DC when I myself am a DC member. Don't get me wrong, I loved the One Tamriel update, having the ability to do whatever you want with whoever you want is awesome, all I'd like to see is just a little more love for the factions outside Cyrodill.

How? You might ask, well something that I can think of is how about in New Chapters or new DLC we have slightly different stories based on our faction. Maybe the interests of the DC are different than those of the AD therefore your story is different. How about having us interact more with our faction leaders, I can't remember the last time I saw High King Emeric.

Honestly just anything to remind of us of the choice we made when we created our character and have our faction mean more than just the color over our heads like it currently is. I'd love to hear what you guys think about this or if you are fine with how things are right now and I'm just in a small group of people who like to see stuff like this.

Fixed by making paragraphs.

But overall I do agree - I would like to see more faction & Alliance storylines. I only see it come up in dialogue but I'd like it to be of more importance in the story as well as some in PvE gameplay.
    Options
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Oh, GOOD question!

[Disclaimer: I have Pact characters. I still wonder why....]

@Cygemai_Hlervu - I know you must have some insight here.

Hello, dear @Sylvermynx! I'm so glad to see you're online! Haven't spoken with you for ages :).. So much things need to be done at the end of the year.. Happy holidays to you! So, we have two questions here: 1. Why the Tribunal gods are not helping to win the War personally by using their powers and 2. Why the Pact is not winning the War. Here is what I think about it.

The questions are indeed very interesting, though I think that my explanation would be not that much of it. Let's start with the Tribunal. First I have to begin with the definition of god given by the Tribunal Temple itself, because I suppose different players can presume different phenomena under that word. As we know it, there are two branches of the Dunmeri religion and they have many differences and the definition of god is not an exception there (I wrote about the major differences in my Guide to Religions of Tamriel. Tribunal Temple Section). So, the definitions:
    Canonic Temple: a god is one of the three formerly mortal guardians of Morrowind who walked the earth, defeated the Dunmer's greatest enemies, the Nords and the Dwemer, and achieved divine substance through superhuman discipline and virtue and supernatural wisdom and insight thus forming ALMSIVI - the Tribunal of the Three Divine entities (Fellowship of the Temple, Articles of Faith section, by Archcanon Tholer Saryoni).
    Apostolic Temple: a god is one of the three formerly mortal guardians of Morrowind who walked the earth, defeated the Dunmer's greatest enemies, the Nords and the Dwemer, and achieved divine substance through superhuman discipline and virtue and supernatural wisdom and insight thus forming ALMSIVI - one entity, not the fractured creation. It only appears fractured in the forms of the three gods, but rather than separate deities they are all one portion of a welded whole regulated in their irregularities. Lady Almalexia and Lord Vivec, who are only consistent in their inconsistency, still create the order of the truths. They are the tock within the Lord Seht's tick, the wheel that forever goes forward but only to circle itself (Worshiping the Illogical by Proctor Nevyn, Apostle of Sotha Sil).

The Dunmeri gods has never been said to be the almighty, all seeing, omniscient and all merciful gods. Yes, they are strong, but not that strong, unstoppable or horrific as, say, Dagoth Ur. Their divinity did not stop the Second Empire from declaring war upon Morrowind (and from losing it), it did not make them a super weapon during the recent Akaviri Invasion when Vivec was said to "administer baptism" to the last of the Akaviri forces in the waters of the Sea of Ghosts, it did not make Vivec see the recent plots of Barbas and did not save the High Fane of Mournhold from it's recent desecration. They bear more features of those whom we call the demi-gods, say, in the Ancient Greek mythology rather than gods in it's traditional modern meaning.

Why did they not interfere? First, I suppose it's because Vivec is considered to be weak because of the Barbas's activity in Vvardenfell, Almalexia is busy with Maulborn and her High Fane, while Sotha Sil conducts his study as usual and helps us to fight off the Daedric threat - something he considers a much greater danger than another war between mortals. All this events happen the same year of 2E 582 and the lore does not mention it strictly what part of the year those events are happening in, and if they are happening simultaneously or in a specific order - this is something defined by the Elder Scrolls and these events will become unchangeable to it's readers after each of them "read" it the way they do in their preffered order. Moreover, Morrowind is threatened by the Daggerfall Covenant in two provinces only governed by Houses Dres and Indoril - I doubt that they are acting without the Temple's blessing there.

We can also remember the words of the Servant of Almalexia - "My Lady has many responsibilities to her children. Is Iliath more important than the Covenant invasion? Than Molag Bal's schemes? Than a mother struggling to give birth in Mournhold, or a father praying for his sick child's life in Seyda Neen? Even if they do attack, everyone here will still die some day. Even you, child. One night, you will close your eyes and never return to Tamriel. The Tribunal does not offer immortality, nor does it shield the reverent from the trials of life"
    Indeed, one day we all will log off and never return to Tamriel ;)). Anyway, I think it shows clearly they way the Tribunal acts - they are not everywhere, in most cases they use champions and messengers, i.e. the providers of their will, Ordinators, champions like Buoyant Armigers or Her Hands, outsiders, Morag Tong, and they act personally on a battlefield very rarely. You have also to remember is that it is not kings or gods serving their people - it's all vice versa and this is why you'll never see the really powerful entities in dangerous places like battlefields. They go out fighting personally only when they risk to lose everything, and nothing else at their disposal can stop an enemy threatening them.

Now regarding the "not winning the war" question. The Pact is winning it actually :)). There are no lore references pointing that the Dominion will be successful in conquering the Imperial City and other lands at any point of time between 2E 582 - 2E 896. Likewise the Covenant will not be successful in reinstating the Second Empire (it's very different from the Third one and I showed it in the Empire section of my Guide to Socio-Economic Formations of Tamriel). The next thing I have to point our attention to is the Tiber Wars and the lands conquered by Tiber Septim: he started out from the Falkreath Hold and conquered the Western Reach, then it were the Northern Cyrodiil, Colovia, the Imperial City, the rest of Cyrodiil, Wayrest and High Rock, then invaded Elsweyr sacking Senchal, the he had battles with the regular forces of the Dominion (like the Battle of Black Rocks) anc invaded Hammerfell marching through Sentinel and up to Stros M'Kai, finally he did invade Mournhold indeed, but as the order of the events show it, he did it to wipe out it's royal dynasty only, not to conquer the entire country as he did everywhere else. And finally with the help of Vivec he crushed Alinor.

As you see it, Tiber Septim carefully avoided invading the modern Pact states while ruthlessly marching through and suppressing all the resistance in the lands of the Covenant and the Dominion. Nords love him so much that will venerate him as a god. Argonia was incorporated into the Third Empire without conquest (according to the only existing source on that matter - a single line in the A Short History of Morrowind) as well as Morrowind managed to keep much of it's autonomy.

Finally, two extra things.
    First. The Tamriel Pact, the very goal of the Ebonheart Pact policy described in the works of the Pact propagandist Alla Laleth (The Time of the Ebonheart Pact and Breaking the Cycle of Tyranny) is exactly the model of the Third Empire that Tiber Septim will build in about three hundred years - the Pact where the Covenant kings will be indeed deposed and their successors will be brought into a new Tamriel Pact, where wiser heads shall prevail, where the Aedra, Daedra, and Hist are all revered and the Tamriel Pact, which will enforce peace across the continent and strictly regulate all involvement in dangerous magical pursuits.
    Second. We have already witnessed the beginning of the process - Western Skyrim made friends with the Eastern holds (and thus the Pact I presume), the Reach allowed them both to enter it's lands and friendship between the nations and among the Nord people (at least their political leaders) is something that has been flying in the air thanks to the recent DLCs. Falkreath is also not that far from joining their northern brothers and they all are one step before unification. This all is a huge political success of the Pact nations. Now look at those Dominion and Covenant kingdoms, look at the Orc people who have just overthrown their leader, a devoted Covenant supporter, look at the Altmeri-Khajiiti actual relations and all their activities, look at the recent Covenant and Aldmeri military "successes" in Morrowind and in Argonia respectively.

Of course, the lore of 2E 582 - 2E 896 is not written ultimately yet, so everything can be changed, but the things I observe today tell me that the Pact, or at least it's policy, will prevail. This is what I think regarding this issues.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on December 24, 2020 8:31PM
    Options
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally, two extra things.
    First. The Tamriel Pact, the very goal of the Ebonheart Pact policy described in the works of the Pact propagandist Alla Laleth (The Time of the Ebonheart Pact and Breaking the Cycle of Tyranny) is exactly the model of the Third Empire that Tiber Septim will build in about three hundred years - the Pact where the Covenant kings will be indeed deposed and their successors will be brought into a new Tamriel Pact, where wiser heads shall prevail, where the Aedra, Daedra, and Hist are all revered and the Tamriel Pact, which will enforce peace across the continent and strictly regulate all involvement in dangerous magical pursuits.
    Second. We have already witnessed the beginning of the process - Western Skyrim made friends with the Eastern holds (and thus the Pact I presume), the Reach allowed them both to enter it's lands and friendship between the nations and among the Nord people (at least their political leaders) is something that has been flying in the air thanks to the recent DLCs. Falkreath is also not that far from joining their northern brothers and they all are one step before unification. This all is a huge political success of the Pact nations. Now look at those Dominion and Covenant kingdoms, look at the Orc people who have just overthrown their leader, a devoted Covenant supporter, look at the Altmeri-Khajiiti actual relations and all their activities, look at the recent Covenant and Aldmeri military "successes" in Morrowind and in Argonia respectively.

Of course, the lore of 2E 582 - 2E 896 is not written ultimately yet, so everything can be changed, but the things I observe today tell me that the Pact, or at least it's policy, will prevail. This is what I think regarding this issues.

The Third Empire that was brought by Tiber Septim is arguably not in the vein of the goals of the Pact (and neither the Covenant nor the Dominion for that matter), but rather purely in the vein and vision of Hjalti Early-Bear/Tiber Septim.

The goals of the Pact are largely in order to establish a non-empire, a Tamriel where there is no central authority, rather each province is left to its own devices. Sure, there would be (if they were successful) a council of sorts of representatives who could work out the issues between the provinces. The key, though, is that there would be no emperor, no empire, and no central governing entity. The laws in one province would have no say over the others.

If the goals of any of the alliances are closest in idea to the bureaucratic structure of the Empire, it is the goals of the Covenant, though even that is not perfect. The Covenant seeks to rebuild the peace and prosperity (trade) of the 2nd Empire, and would do so by recreating the Empire as it originally was, with an Empire advised by a Council that comprised of representatives from every kingdom (not province), so that each was fairly represented. Now, the 3rd Empire was structured around an Emperor with an Elder Council, but the makeup of the Council was of the notable families in Cyrodiil and the Empire. The nature of the Imperial structure was one of wealth and power, that capitalized on central authority; contrary to the goals of the Pact.

As far as the other goal of the Pact, about the reverence of Aedra, Daedra, or Hist, it is pretty clear that that is not the case in the 3rd Empire. Across the Empire, it is pretty clear that the worship of the Aedra is preferred, and even actively spread and encouraged. Whereas consorting, revering, worshiping, or doing whatever with Daedra is very much discouraged and not tolerated. The very nature of the 3rd Empire was to enforce and spread Imperial Law and Imperial Religion. So strong was Imperial influence in Skyrim during these years (no doubt due to their reverence for Talos/Hjalti Early-Bear/Tiber Septim) that Imperial names replaced in many cases the Nordic ones, and the Nordic Pantheon subsequently became more Imperial.

Now, regarding the rising peace between the kingdoms in Skyrim, we know that by the time of Tiber Septim's rise, all progress has since crumbed. At the time of Emperor Cuhlecain's birth, Falkreath was not a part of Skyrim, but one of the Colovian Estates. (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Cuhlecain). Also of note, during this time the Nords and the Reachmen were at war, as Cuhlecain needed to focus on his Norther Borders before he could set out to unite the Colovian Estates. Furthermore, at the time a Breton-Nord alliance famously fought against Hjalti at the battle of Sancre Tor, and was one of the primary obstacles in Cuhlecain's path to the Imperial throne. Clearly, at some point years prior, all relations between any nation in the Pact or Covenant had broken down to the point where both alliances had ended. Even the 1st Aldmeri Domion had ended, only to be replaced with the 2nd Aldmeri Domion by the time Tiber Septim went a-conquering with the Numidium.

My point being, that saying that the 3rd Empire equals the success of any of the alliances is very iffy, as elements of several of them, and elements of none of them, exist in the empire forged by the politically-eager, conquest-minded Breto-Nord from Alcaire.

What is clear, is that at some point, each of the alliances fail. Presumably for similar reasons they were founded. The DC is the product of personal relations Emeric forged between leaders. When those leaders die, will those relations continue with their successors? The AD is the product of Ayrenn's idealistic vision. Can the dream survive without Ayrenn? The EP was founded as a reaction to invasion. But what happens when the war is no longer, and the alliance failed to unite even the entirety of its provinces. Each of the alliances is doomed to fail, and none will be able to succeed. When victory is declared, it will be by Cyrodiil, not the alliances, with the ambitious head of a new empire silently clutching his throat, emerging crowned from the fires as the unrest of the Interregnum closes.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cygemai_Hlervu - good to "see" you too! I hope you will have very happy holidays, whichever of them you keep.

Thank you for that detailed exposition. I skimmed it just now, as I'm having to go get dinner on the table, but I will read it thoroughly later!

@ealdwin - your post is also very interesting; thank you for taking the time to make it, and explain from another angle.
    Options
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faction in ESO is nothing more than a color and name...sadly it means very little.

Options
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ealdwin - your post is also very interesting; thank you for taking the time to make it, and explain from another angle.

No problem! One of the great (or rather interesting) parts of TES lore is that a lot is up to interpretation, as not everything is cut and dry. Are the Tsaesci men, snakes, vampires, something else... who knows? Everything is written from a certain point of view, which leaves a lot up in the air. I enjoy a good lore discussion every now and then. Especially concerning the parts we have to just guess at, because we’ve only been given point A, point C, and half the parts of the IKEA table and one brake from a 1992 Chrysler, and what that all means is “who knows”. It’s a fun puzzle, that we may never know what the picture is.

Also...
    Happy Holidays to all!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ayup. The happiest of holidays to everyone no matter which of them you keep - in this mostly gloomy year. Please, goddesses, give us a break next year. Please.....

I've played TES since Arena released. Yeah. Long time.... so I do forget some of the lore bits over time. Here is where I really want one of the original "devs" (those who invented the beginning of the game - which I believe was a tabletop game to begin with) to GIVE ME THAT LORE. In books. IN ORDER. So I can read it and absorb it.

Seriously.... I have played TES from day one. So I really want a huge mega-tome that sets out the lore from that day one.

Oh.... yes, I would pay for that book. A LOT.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 25, 2020 5:27AM
    Options
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alliances are the past, ESO story has moved away from the war years ago. Newest chapters are supposed to take place a few years later anyway, though this isn't explicit for continuity purposes.

I used to be a fan of the AD until I came to dislike the elves for being so racist. Now I'm an Imperial uninterested in the alliance war since my home country has been devastated anyway.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ayup. The happiest of holidays to everyone no matter which of them you keep - in this mostly gloomy year. Please, goddesses, give us a break next year. Please.....

I've played TES since Arena released. Yeah. Long time.... so I do forget some of the lore bits over time. Here is where I really want one of the original "devs" (those who invented the beginning of the game - which I believe was a tabletop game to begin with) to GIVE ME THAT LORE. In books. IN ORDER. So I can read it and absorb it.

Seriously.... I have played TES from day one. So I really want a huge mega-tome that sets out the lore from that day one.

Oh.... yes, I would pay for that book. A LOT.

Have you ever visited the website, Imperial Library?
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JKorr - no, I don't believe so. I will have to check it out.
    Options