The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we protect guild members from players false reporting them?

Tynos22
Tynos22
Soul Shriven
We are worried that a player in our guild may falsely report us and our guild members to get us suspended or banned from the game if we question their negative aggressive behavior. They have hinted although not saying directly that they have done false reports against players before. Is there anything we can do to protect us and our members from being falsely reported so that we can properly address the conflicts we are having with this player without worry of them taking that action successfully?

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason why the player is still in your guild?

I wouldn't want to hang out with someone hinting threats against my account.

If there are false reports, your players can appeal. And as it happens, knowingly making false reports to abuse the discipline system is against the TOs/CoC.

My recommendation for CYA would be that if you must continue to work with this player, you have all discussion of their behavior in the in-game chat, so that ZOS can pull the chat logs if need be.

But honestly, I'd boot the player. No one needs that negativity. Plus, "Hey, ZOS, I'm pretty sure I got falsely reported by "So-and-So because he's mad we booted him from guild for X behaviors" is a pretty good defense in an appeal, and makes it more likely that ZOS will see the false report(s) as a clear act of retaliation.
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tynos22 wrote: »

If there are false reports, your players can appeal. And as it happens, knowingly making false reports to abuse the discipline system is against the TOs/CoC.

My recommendation for CYA would be that if you must continue to work with this player, you have all discussion of their behavior in the in-game chat, so that ZOS can pull the chat logs if need be.

But honestly, I'd boot the player. No one needs that negativity. Plus, "Hey, ZOS, I'm pretty sure I got falsely reported by "So-and-So because he's mad we booted him from guild for X behaviors" is a pretty good defense in an appeal, and makes it more likely that ZOS will see the false report(s) as a clear act of retaliation.

Thank you! The only reason we've kept them around is for the reason of the possible false reports. This makes things a lot simpler. If it does come up, is the falsely reported player notified of how to appeal or is there a place to find it or file it?

ZOS is very protective of player privacy when it comes to discipline. ZOS won't ever tell people the results of their reports. So that player won't know if the report bore fruit unless someone tells them.

If someone does get banned or suspended, they should get an email from ZOS informing them. That will have the details about how to appeal.

And honestly, its up to you and your guild what you are comfortable putting up with. For myself, there's a piece of advice I think is good: if someone threatens legal action, treat them as your adversary from that point forward. Since making a false report to ZOS is pretty much the ESO equivalent of legal action against my account, that's why I'm suggesting taking a firm approach. But if you aren't comfortable with that, that's okay! You've got to do what works for you guys.

Good luck!
    Answer ✓
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a false report, I hope ZOS would look for a shred of evidence before acting on it. Anything else would be absolutely unethical.
  • Tynos22
    Tynos22
    Soul Shriven

Thank you! The only reason we've kept them around is for the reason of the possible false reports. This makes things a lot simpler. If it does come up, is the falsely reported player notified of how to appeal or is there a place to find it or file it?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Drama is the killer of guilds and groups. If they are being stupid by even just hinting at such things kick them in a heartbeat. They are not worth the trouble of keeping them around.
  • Tynos22
    Tynos22
    Soul Shriven
    Tynos22 wrote: »

ZOS is very protective of player privacy when it comes to discipline. ZOS won't ever tell people the results of their reports. So that player won't know if the report bore fruit unless someone tells them.

If someone does get banned or suspended, they should get an email from ZOS informing them. That will have the details about how to appeal.

And honestly, its up to you and your guild what you are comfortable putting up with. For myself, there's a piece of advice I think is good: if someone threatens legal action, treat them as your adversary from that point forward. Since making a false report to ZOS is pretty much the ESO equivalent of legal action against my account, that's why I'm suggesting taking a firm approach. But if you aren't comfortable with that, that's okay! You've got to do what works for you guys.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! That's what I needed.