Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Destruction Comes to Tamriel During ESO’s 2021 Global Reveal Event!"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
sufigynqolgz.png

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "Destruction Comes to Tamriel During ESO’s 2021 Global Reveal Event!"

Uncover Tamriel’s doom during the upcoming Global Reveal Event, live via Twitch.tv/Bethesda on Thursday, January 21!
Edited by ZOS_SarahHecker on January 13, 2021 3:07PM
Staff Post
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "new worlds" - I like the sound of that.
    PC EU
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good and if it comes with performance improvements then it looks fantastic!
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a suprise.... Oblivion.. wow
    really?
    nothing new under the sun? no ideas, no creativity,
    if you don´t have any thing new, and I mean really new to bring up, we get represises all the way now??

I hope at least we will get a monk-class now, as we had it in the days way back....
    I go and make me tea,
    the world gets darker.
    And nothing good is announced
    bah
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oooo do I see teasers of more Murkmire content in that video?
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good and if it comes with performance improvements then it looks fantastic!

The last year of "performance improvement" does not leave me as optimistic
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Was kinda hoping to see the big reveal before the year ends but oh well.
    That being said I'm a bit disappointed that, from the looks of it, we are getting a rehash of TESIV's plot.
    If it was shivering isles I'd have been happy, but oblivion gates?
    Then again I guess those will be the new dark Anchors.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is just the state of Outside World but this one was hoping for perhaps a little less destruction in Tamriel.

Well perhaps there might still be an undiscovered island or out of the way farm that is a liite cheerier and not so much on fire.

Khajiit will save the world when called on but hero fatigue is a real thing you know and sometimes we maybe need a little lighter and brighter moment or two along the journey.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please make it so closing Oblivion gates drops transmute stones.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭
    🍺
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So next expansion will be City of Ash III?

And is that Eveli?
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sigh... Looks like a rehash of TESIV.

I suppose there is sizeable bunch of people ripe for some nostalgia exploiting based on Oblivion, but as for someone like me, who still plays and putters away at modding said game, I just aint feeling the excitement.

Another thing that is really starting to wear thin, is the constant stream of world shaking calamities infesting ESO Tamriel on basically daily basis. Back before these yearly stories were a thing, when Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild were the hot new stuff, and most of us were still busy with Wrothgar, we had stories with more sensible scope. Local issues, things not having godlike beings trying to destroy or conquer the world. Now ESO is turning into a version of Marvel New York. If it aint an alien invasion, or some sort of demonic cataclysm happening, then it has to be mythological gods trashing the city on a weekly basis. If a month passes in that town without at least one world ending event taking place, then there is something seriously wrong with reality itself. And ESO is starting to paint a similar picture about Tamriel.

And remember, since in ESO canon time has not moved onward, all this nonsense is taking place during the same year. Yes, I know that Orsinium did kinda take place a year after the main game, since back then progressing the timeline was still in the cards. However, they've since taken that back and stated that all of ESO takes place during the same year. Which is just inherently silly. But then again, not like ESO has seasons or anything either. Or even weekdays. It's just one endless Groundhog day loop repeating ad infinitum. Where the same monsters keep re-spawning, and the same quest givers keep giving you the same set of dailies. Where you run thought the same old dungeons slaying the same old monsters in the same old order. It's a world where nothing really ever changes, and every country and county has the same old set of sights and delves and "fun" activities. Just slightly reskinned to match the local style and color.

Last couple of years have really driven home how formulaic the ESO experience has become. We get a yearly iteration of reskinned dark anchors, the standard number of new delves and public dungeons (with multipart collectibles to grind) and the same set of busybody dailies dropping new motifs (which we have like almost a hundred already.) If the other rumor turns out true, and the next Chapter is located around Skingrad, and deals with Oblivion gates and yet another bid by Mehrunes Dagon to conquer Tamriel, then I get a distinct feeling I will skip that whole nonsense and go for an indefinite leave from ESO.

The thing is, that there are plenty of other huge time sink games out there, including a recent fairly good one featuring a near future dystopian setting, and there is also the chance of Starfield dropping next year. And as I said, I still play Oblivion and have plenty of mod based content to slog through for Skyrim. Finding time to play ESO becomes harder with each passing day, and even harder to justify all the mind numbing grind the devs build into it.

With new content becoming increasingly formulaic with ESO, and more and more stuff I'd like to fiddle with going crowns (or even worse, crates only - like those recent dwemer beam emitter furnishings. I've been waiting years for something like those things, but I will not pay the insane amount of money required to get them.) I feel I just no no longer am in anyway part of the customer base ESO caters for. I just do not see this thing as a game anymore. It is a lifestyle hobby. The kind you play on daily basis as your primary hobby, where you are willing to drop 200 bucks or so a month into it for the full experience, and are more interested in just hanging out with your friends than experiencing genuinely new content..

When I consider what ESO has on offer, and what it asks both in time and money, I just do not see there to be much reason to continue with this anymore. I mean, I hope the next chapter is not formulaic, and that it does provide some genuinely new game play and interesting stories that do not follow the standard quest templates used by 98% of the games content. Maybe they will introduce systems that make housing to be less reliant on massive real life money purchases, and maybe the story line wont be the same old same old of saving Tamriel from yet another daedric plot to conquer and enslave the land and it's people, but... Yeah, I doubt things will go that way.

Still, I'm sure there are more than enough people who are perfectly happy to keep doing the same stuff and who are ready for some Oblivion nostalgia to keep this thing running for few more years, but I do get the distinct feeling that the best of ESO is behind. The future is just gonna be formulaic content being pumped out on steady basis as long as people spend money on the Crown Store. And you know what, that's fine. If ESO manages to provide a platform for people to come together and have fun then that's fine. But for me, it is starting to feel increasingly evident that ESO has little truly new stuff to present for people like me, and maybe it is time to finally move onward.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez that people are never be satisfied...

I for myself am excited and looking forward to close down a few Oblivion gates as in the old days! :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any reason to believe that hte "destruction" coming to Tamriel will include permanent changes to the current landscape?

The analogy here would be Guild Wars 2, although I stopped playing that game before they started doing this sort of thing.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any reason to believe that hte "destruction" coming to Tamriel will include permanent changes to the current landscape?

The analogy here would be Guild Wars 2, although I stopped playing that game before they started doing this sort of thing.

Or, more prominently, WoW's Cataclysm.
    But I don't see how ZOS could pull something like that off.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Josira
    Josira
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give us artificer class cowards
    or me. since im probably the only one asking.

but in all seriousness. the 'new systems' better involve new skill lines that arnt just grindy passive stuff. have to be skill lines..not a singular skill line.
    One hand and Rune skill line,Unarmed/Gauntlet/Monk Skill line,Quarterstaff skill line,Polearm/One handed and Javlin skill line/Racial Active Skills and Ults,
    maybewerewolfbehemothandanactualvampirelordformorbloodknightinsteadofthatrushedmonstrosityknownasBloodScion
    if its spellcrafting we all know its going to be either buggy or grindy. likely both. with an emphisis on grindy. to the point barely anybody bothers like jewellery crafting. which would of been useful had it not been so abominably grindy.
    We're paying,expecting fun and engaging content. not work. and Greymore and Summerset where work.
    "BlooD FReNZy TicKS aLL thE BoXes of WhaT iT mEanS tO bE a VaMpiRe"
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still believe we will get Leyawiin/Gideon/Blackwood in Chapter and Skingard as zone DLC. Colovia is a bit small for and only has Skingrad and Sutch (not sure if this one its canon) as main cities.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    I still believe we will get Leyawiin/Gideon/Blackwood in Chapter and Skingard as zone DLC. Colovia is a bit small for and only has Skingrad and Sutch (not sure if this one its canon) as main cities.

How is the whole west of Cyrodii between the Gold Coast and the PvP zone small? :/
    Seems perfectly chapter-sized to me.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by RemanCyrodiil_I on April 20, 2022 3:55PM
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete the Templar class and give us a free class change it’s a trash class for almost everything except heals.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »
    Delete the Templar class and give us a free class change it’s a trash class for almost everything except heals.

Don’t play it if you don’t like it. It’s one of my favorite classes. :unamused:
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    sigh... Looks like a rehash of TESIV.

I suppose there is sizeable bunch of people ripe for some nostalgia exploiting based on Oblivion, but as for someone like me, who still plays and putters away at modding said game, I just aint feeling the excitement.

Another thing that is really starting to wear thin, is the constant stream of world shaking calamities infesting ESO Tamriel on basically daily basis. Back before these yearly stories were a thing, when Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild were the hot new stuff, and most of us were still busy with Wrothgar, we had stories with more sensible scope. Local issues, things not having godlike beings trying to destroy or conquer the world. Now ESO is turning into a version of Marvel New York. If it aint an alien invasion, or some sort of demonic cataclysm happening, then it has to be mythological gods trashing the city on a weekly basis. If a month passes in that town without at least one world ending event taking place, then there is something seriously wrong with reality itself. And ESO is starting to paint a similar picture about Tamriel.

And remember, since in ESO canon time has not moved onward, all this nonsense is taking place during the same year. Yes, I know that Orsinium did kinda take place a year after the main game, since back then progressing the timeline was still in the cards. However, they've since taken that back and stated that all of ESO takes place during the same year. Which is just inherently silly. But then again, not like ESO has seasons or anything either. Or even weekdays. It's just one endless Groundhog day loop repeating ad infinitum. Where the same monsters keep re-spawning, and the same quest givers keep giving you the same set of dailies. Where you run thought the same old dungeons slaying the same old monsters in the same old order. It's a world where nothing really ever changes, and every country and county has the same old set of sights and delves and "fun" activities. Just slightly reskinned to match the local style and color.

Last couple of years have really driven home how formulaic the ESO experience has become. We get a yearly iteration of reskinned dark anchors, the standard number of new delves and public dungeons (with multipart collectibles to grind) and the same set of busybody dailies dropping new motifs (which we have like almost a hundred already.) If the other rumor turns out true, and the next Chapter is located around Skingrad, and deals with Oblivion gates and yet another bid by Mehrunes Dagon to conquer Tamriel, then I get a distinct feeling I will skip that whole nonsense and go for an indefinite leave from ESO.

The thing is, that there are plenty of other huge time sink games out there, including a recent fairly good one featuring a near future dystopian setting, and there is also the chance of Starfield dropping next year. And as I said, I still play Oblivion and have plenty of mod based content to slog through for Skyrim. Finding time to play ESO becomes harder with each passing day, and even harder to justify all the mind numbing grind the devs build into it.

With new content becoming increasingly formulaic with ESO, and more and more stuff I'd like to fiddle with going crowns (or even worse, crates only - like those recent dwemer beam emitter furnishings. I've been waiting years for something like those things, but I will not pay the insane amount of money required to get them.) I feel I just no no longer am in anyway part of the customer base ESO caters for. I just do not see this thing as a game anymore. It is a lifestyle hobby. The kind you play on daily basis as your primary hobby, where you are willing to drop 200 bucks or so a month into it for the full experience, and are more interested in just hanging out with your friends than experiencing genuinely new content..

When I consider what ESO has on offer, and what it asks both in time and money, I just do not see there to be much reason to continue with this anymore. I mean, I hope the next chapter is not formulaic, and that it does provide some genuinely new game play and interesting stories that do not follow the standard quest templates used by 98% of the games content. Maybe they will introduce systems that make housing to be less reliant on massive real life money purchases, and maybe the story line wont be the same old same old of saving Tamriel from yet another daedric plot to conquer and enslave the land and it's people, but... Yeah, I doubt things will go that way.

Still, I'm sure there are more than enough people who are perfectly happy to keep doing the same stuff and who are ready for some Oblivion nostalgia to keep this thing running for few more years, but I do get the distinct feeling that the best of ESO is behind. The future is just gonna be formulaic content being pumped out on steady basis as long as people spend money on the Crown Store. And you know what, that's fine. If ESO manages to provide a platform for people to come together and have fun then that's fine. But for me, it is starting to feel increasingly evident that ESO has little truly new stuff to present for people like me, and maybe it is time to finally move onward.

I hear that. I enjoyed the Wrothgar questline and often the stories that I enjoy most are local quest stories and delves, not to say that I don’t also enjoy dungeons and exciting fights — balance and variety are key.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 17, 2020 5:03AM
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping we get some zones where we can actually see our quest progress, like in Coldharbour. Where we slowly re-populate the city. Other ideas for this type of play are:

1: Start a zone with just one wagon, and follow the road to claim more and more of the zone. All the while your wagon grows into a caravan, then into a tentcamp, then into a town, and eventually into a stronghold.

2: Start at a destroyed castle somewhere in a zone. Where we slowly rebuild the castle the more and more quests we complete.

3: Start a zone alone, and every quest we do we gain allies. To build an army for some final assault.

There are probably some more like these, but you get the idea. It is really satisfying to see the results of our efforts.
  • kindnuguz
    kindnuguz
    ✭✭
    "Destruction comes to Tamriel"

Getting WoW vibes from that.
    World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ?

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kindnuguz wrote: »
    "Destruction comes to Tamriel"

Getting WoW vibes from that.
    World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ?

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

I don't think it's anything to do with Wow because Dagon is known for destruction.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to Inauguration Day in the United States falling on Jan. 20, we are moving our Global Reveal Event for Gates of Oblivion from Thursday, Jan. 21 to Tuesday, Jan. 26 at 5PM EST/10PM GMT.
    Staff Post
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance that the postponement in the "Official Global Reveal" result in a delay in the start of Update 29 PTS which I expect to begin right after?
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuinely curious, why does an inauguration in the U.S. delay a video game company releasing information the next day? Is the information/reveal not finished and you need more time? Will everyone be in D.C. at that time? Will the inauguration overshadow the reveal? I'm not upset, it's only a week, just honestly curious as to what one has to do with the other.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Genuinely curious, why does an inauguration in the U.S. delay a video game company releasing information the next day? Is the information/reveal not finished and you need more time? Will everyone be in D.C. at that time? Will the inauguration overshadow the reveal? I'm not upset, it's only a week, just honestly curious as to what one has to do with the other.

Their head office is not far from the US capital, so presumably even though they are working from home, most employees also live in the area. Probably postponed out of an abundance of concern for their employees.
  • FaceDancer
    FaceDancer
    ✭✭

I'm not from the US not even from an English country, but even I are aware of the chaotic that politic state are in the US, then isn't a surprise that zos has taken this choose.
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I live fairly close to D.C. and Hunt Valley (ZOS area) and have spent a good bit of time in both. They're really not very far apart, mostly separated by Baltimore. Additionally, ZOS is right off a busy interstate that's going to see extra-heavy traffic due to the inauguration. Traffic is going to be an absolute mess before, during, and after the inauguration, which might impact ZOS employees if the event isn't a "ZOS At Home" livestream. (ZOS isn't located in much of a residential area; I'd imagine not many people who work there live within walking distance, if any.)

And not to get into current events TOO much on this forum, but uhhhhhhh...anyone who's been watching US news the past week wouldn't be branded paranoid if they're expecting some awful people to react very badly to the inauguration. I wouldn't be surprised if safety is a factor being taken into consideration given how close ZOS is to DC--again, especially if the livestream requires ZOS employees to leave the house. But even if it doesn't, there's a lot that could go wrong.
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions suck and should go touch grass together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.