The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The text chat box needs to be on by default on ALL SYSTEMS.

hexentb16_ESO
hexentb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I play on Xbox and run a guild that teaches new players about the game and how to "git gud". You know what the most important yet simple thing I end up teaching almost all of my members is? That the game's HUD has a text chat box! Some members even end up making it all the way to 50 without realizing this.

The text chat box really needs to be on by default on all systems. Here's why.

1. Area chat in ESO sucks. Between the voice chat spam and background noise from garbage microphones many players avoid area chat altogether. Even when area chat isn't god awful you still can't hear it properly if your headset isn't plugged in and you have you tv volume low. Area chat also has a short range and quite a few new players don't realize this. I can't count the times new players have walked away from me while still talking to me then wondering why I wasn't replying.

Basically area chat is not suitable for proper communication and since the HUD text chat box is off by default on console there's no way for us to even tell them how to join other channels that do work. And no, Xbox voice chat is not an option either, not when it comes to communication in an MMO with passers by or when you want to say just one thing.

2. Text chat is far better than voice chat. A temporary record is kept of it that we can check again if needed. Its much easier to understand (provided the person typing doesn't have terrible grammar). And allows us to link important game items.

If the text chat was on by default it would be easier to read and reply than frantically looking around for your headset. Some players don't even have headsets but everyone has a controller to type with. Btw, most long time players of console ESO use a keyword.

Please set the hud text chat box to be on by default ZOS.

To the nay sayers...

"Won't someone think of the children!?"
Did you know you can't censor someone's microphone? You can mute them but before you do that nothing can keep your child from being bombarded by all sorts of obscenities via voice chat since area voice chat is on by default.

Text chat however has its censor on by default and its super strict. You can't even see the word "Homosexuality" with it on! There's other words censored too that have no negative meanings whatsoever.

"If they want it on they can turn it on themselves."
Nope. Not when they don't know that it even exists.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like the text chat is on by default on PS4. I don't ever recall having to turn it on, just to turn down the font size and turn off the profanity filter whenever I make a new toon. It is set to disappear when inactive by default, though, that's about it.
  • hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    I feel like the text chat is on by default on PS4. I don't ever recall having to turn it on, just to turn down the font size and turn off the profanity filter whenever I make a new toon. It is set to disappear when inactive by default, though, that's about it.

I don't remember turning it on either but I've been playing for ages. I think it turns on automatically when you press enter on a connected keyboard while not in a menu but I'm not sure.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's on by default on PC, but you only see it when there is active text chat happening, and then it fades back out after a period of inactivity.
    It's a pain in my ass because I have to go into it on every new character and turn off zone chat.
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on December 1, 2020 3:24AM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • renne
      renne
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Honestly, I wish you could turn zone chat off permanently and just have guild/group chats. I know PC has something like that (tabs?), but on console you're stuck with all or nothing.