The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS & NPC - Interaction Suggestion

Khallarion
Khallarion
✭✭
Greetings,

Recently I was playing some old games, and while playing Quake Arena, I was able to recall the times I used to chat with the chatbot in order to improve my English. It was funny to interact with the machine, and I could learn a lot, specially vocabulary, since the machine usually replied mein a more fluid, with expressions and words I didn't know at that time. So I had a blast when I was younger, chatting and playing against bots. Today, playing and chatting with the bot, we easily notice how the chatbot was programmed, with key words and simple association between words, building up phrases, or using premade phrases already built in order to reply somehow properly. It's funny how there was premade phrases if the bot couldn't find an appropriate answer using its database, saying its mind goes blank.

Anyways, today, with the chatbot improvement and new AI, I imagine if those couldn't be used in a preexisting game, or a new ESO game, where you not only interact with the NPCs the way we are used to in ESO, but also, chatting with it directly, getting pre made answers based on the quest we are doing, or within the game lore. That would be absolutely awesome, to have a chat with a NPC, asking about things directly, having answers directly, giving a sense of a true conversation within the explorable world and quest. Imagine if we had that in new games as well, such as Cyberpunk, for example. If we put machine learning alongside the chatbots, using players dialogues as database, we would have an huge interaction potential, and of course, lots of issues, specially moral issues, lol.

Well, that's a suggestion I would like to give, and expressing that here we might get some insightful views. We usually see chatbots without a context, or better saying, with the only purpose of chatting using a limited database. If we use that within a lore, a world, and so on, again, we would have a rich artificial intelligent world. Imagine if the NPCs could talk to each other, always offering different dialogues, the same way it happens when the environment is created accordingly to certain directives, such as they said we will have in the new Elder Scrolls games, or in No Man Skies, for example.

Anyways, that's something really new and interesting to apply in a game, in the way expressed above.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can creat an add-on like that. Good luck. (Nice idea though, but game has different issues to fix before they turn it into a social game)
  • Khallarion
    Khallarion
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    You can creat an add-on like that. Good luck. (Nice idea though, but game has different issues to fix before they turn it into a social game)

Unfortunately I agree with you, adding that to an already existing game is to ask for more issues. They could do that in the next expansion or chapters, but still, it's easier to implement that in the new Elder Scrolls games than in ESO.

To actually build an add-on like that wouldn't require much, just an effort to actually programming the phrases in order to fit key words, you can even do that somehow automatically, but you would have to understand the context, thus knowing the game lore, different quests and so on.

So yeah, you would need to have not only the entire dialogue database, but also programming that accordingly to key words that could be used in a chat format. You might apply that to text, but dialogues, you would need some type of emulation, like we see in google or amazon devices, if I'm not mistaken, and that's something only a company would be able to do, since would require different types of software also a team, to work in a game the size and richness of ESO.

PS.: As reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc&t=4s
    Edited by Khallarion on November 30, 2020 2:24PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That is a good idea. I think its cool how you use technology to improve your vocabulary.
  • Khallarion
    Khallarion
    ✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    That is a good idea. I think its cool how you use technology to improve your vocabulary.

The majority of games we see nowadays are based on repetitive mechanics, grind and mindless competition. People compete in order to be the best within a system made for you to achieve what is supposed to be achieved, giving just the illusion you're special, or that someone else actually care for your achievements, when you already had countless people doing what you're doing.

Also, it's all based on socializing, based on human interaction, on different groups of people and their value within the community, specially nowadays with Youtube and Social Media, where people want to call attention to themselves, promoting companies and games just in order to receive gifts firsthand or to show off how special they are.

Summarizing, it's all about people and their emotional needs, their egos and so on. There're other ways to use that in order to sell games, you just need to be creative. Also, a game isn't just for fun, you can use that in order to improve different abilities, such as different languages you're learning, or different skills, suck as multitask and so on, everything is based, again, on people's and specially, developer's creativity.

If we keep consuming mindless grindy games, innovation will be harder to be achieved, or a reason for that will be almost non-existent. There is no problem for a grind here and there, but when you focus an end-game on pure grind, then it really shows how poor is the content, such as for example, the Alliance Ranks, and the ranks after General.

Of course in the case of PvP, Alliance Ranks aren't everything, but still, it's a great deal, because you want to rank up, get Achievements, furnishing, dyes and so on, but for that, you must to grind several months of AP in order to get that, or boosting AP, like the majority of people do in order to get Emperor, or fast Alliance points to profit in different areas of the game, making the general PvP experience really poor, because people want to show off something they aren't deluding themselves they might command properly just due the simple fact they have the Grand Overlord title.

Innovation is key, and for example the Antiquities, I didn't even paid attention when it was first released, but after buying the new chapter and playing it I liked. It's simple, very childish, but it's a way to farm money, explore the map and collect materials while you just walk across the map. It's relaxing, you make a decent amount of money, you have your achievements, furnishing, and you don't need to waste lots of months with that feeling you're a no-life grinding eternally for an achievement that has value just within a single game.

But we have different types of people, different perceptions, goals, tastes and so on, so it's good to have a variety for those different people, but never stop improving a game, innovating and so on, that if you want to earn the market, make a name, and truly achieving something in your career and so on, and maybe, even improving the way people play and learn.

Unfortunately, different places have different values. There're countries in this world where they value other stuff, and such ideas might be wasted if not expressed and shared. Also, in countries such mine, where culture isn't that strong, neither National Identity, people just seek to satisfy their basic needs, without being eager to improve their immediate reality and environment, leading to a dull population, easily manipulated by other nations and potencies.

I like ESO because of the hidden social messages we have, also the spirituality behind the lore. It's a game used to make people think, if they actually stop and read the quests and investigate the world created. It's very inspiring, but you achieve that just when you achieved some decent social level, where priorities change from physical to psychological/spiritual needs.