The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Apple Silicon

• Wolfster
    Wolfster
    ✭✭✭
    It's also worth observing that the M1 chip is available only in Apple's lowest cost, lowest power models. The new mac mini is actually a new model below the previous generation, the Air is a like-for-like replacement in specs, and the 13" Pro is the single lowest cost option. The other 13" Pros still ship with Intel.

There'll almost certainly be a variant of the M1 (M1X seems likely given their A series naming conventions) that is less efficient and more powerful. So getting 'good enough' performance on the MacBook Air likely indicates a higher end 13", a 16" or an iMac would get significantly better performance.

Rumours suggest this variant will be a 12 core chip with 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores. Who knows how many GPU cores. Rumours are not reality of course but you can easily see how a beefier variant with more cores supporting more memory would perform significantly better.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfster wrote: »
    It's also worth observing that the M1 chip is available only in Apple's lowest cost, lowest power models. The new mac mini is actually a new model below the previous generation, the Air is a like-for-like replacement in specs, and the 13" Pro is the single lowest cost option. The other 13" Pros still ship with Intel.

There'll almost certainly be a variant of the M1 (M1X seems likely given their A series naming conventions) that is less efficient and more powerful. So getting 'good enough' performance on the MacBook Air likely indicates a higher end 13", a 16" or an iMac would get significantly better performance.

Rumours suggest this variant will be a 12 core chip with 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores. Who knows how many GPU cores. Rumours are not reality of course but you can easily see how a beefier variant with more cores supporting more memory would perform significantly better.

That is what we were discussing in some other threads.

This is just the low level processor. And it already runs ESO well via Rosetta 2.

I'm pretty sure the M1X/M2 mid and high level specs coming next year will just blow everyone away.

I think, if you can put up with using the Mac client for ESO, and don't expect gaming-PC settings, it will still be viable to play ESO on Macs for the next few years.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by linuxlady on November 26, 2020 9:46PM
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts from a linux pro on the effects of m1 on the market in general...

https://youtu.be/-5yuh-nl4Fg
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should write a new installer for windows arm as boot camp will likely be a thing soon. How about that? People with 1 tb models could give up a third of that to install windows and eso the run windows arm eso natively?
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    The new ARM architecture opens a new ways to play streamed games, so I will not wonder if there will be a new stream platform available soon, as we already have ESO on stadia ;)
    Edited by xPoisin on November 28, 2020 8:10AM
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    xPoisin wrote: »
    The new ARM architecture opens a new ways to play streamed games, so I will not wonder if there will be a new stream platform available soon, as we already have ESO on stadia ;)

streaming services dont offer the same experience as a desktop they are more in line of a gaming console......
    Edited by linuxlady on November 28, 2020 11:36AM
  • soulferin
    soulferin
    ✭✭✭
    I tried run eso via GeForce Now, I failed because it forced me to buy eso on steam...

I don’t like google, no one likes stadia.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    soulferin wrote: »
    I tried run eso via GeForce Now, I failed because it forced me to buy eso on steam...

I don’t like google, no one likes stadia.

even if you had succeeded their would be things you couldnt do in game because the nvidia overlay used two buttons and so you couldnt res people or pull up the world map i think it was... it's been a while... I bought an nvidia shield rather that upgrade my pc and it just didn't work...

also my current bluetooth controllers dont seem to work with stadia as far as i can tell.

Eventually i just built a pc from parts off of amazon...
    Edited by linuxlady on November 28, 2020 7:28PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linus Tech Tips finally did a long form video on the mini.

https://youtu.be/4MkrEMjPk24

It’s fast.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

They will be crazy fast.

Honestly, I won't be surprised if the MacBook Pros (not the entry level we already saw, the mid/high level) will run ESO via Rosetta 2 better than a lot of mid-range gaming PCs.

The desktop ones will likely blow away even mid-range gaming PCs.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am def looking forward to it.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

They will be crazy fast.

Honestly, I won't be surprised if the MacBook Pros (not the entry level we already saw, the mid/high level) will run ESO via Rosetta 2 better than a lot of mid-range gaming PCs.

The desktop ones will likely blow away even mid-range gaming PCs.
    linuxlady wrote: »
    I am def looking forward to it.

Yup! I am waiting on the iMacs.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/RiJv1lL3XNk

They had some track pad issues, I think it’s an easy permissions fix, but ESO is running super smooth on the M1.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a trackball mouse and a Bluetooth gamepad I bet it would work well with either of them
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    did you see the scaling options on the lappys? air and pro both come with 2560x1600 res that scale to 1680x1050, 1440x900, and 1024x640. there is no 1080p resolution the laptop will scale to on the 13 inch monitor. the case may be different on an attached monitor though as the mac mini can def scale to 1080p, 4k, and 6k... isnt it interesting that they deliberately chose not to support 1080p on the laptops native monitor..
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They had some track pad issues, I think it’s an easy permissions fix, but ESO is running super smooth on the M1.

I'm pretty sure this is just that common Accessibility issue with ESO and Macs that causes the mouse to spin.

I had that issue before when I ran the Mac client. I don't think it is related to Apple Silicon.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you see the scaling options on the lappys? air and pro both come with 2560x1600 res that scale to 1680x1050, 1440x900, and 1024x640. there is no 1080p resolution the laptop will scale to on the 13 inch monitor. the case may be different on an attached monitor though as the mac mini can def scale to 1080p, 4k, and 6k... isnt it interesting that they deliberately chose not to support 1080p on the laptops native monitor..

Usually those are the "default" scaling. Using some apps or holding Option while clicking the configuration, you can sometimes see more scaling options (I use EasyRes on my Mac, for example, to set a custom scaling when using just the monitor).
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure this is just that common Accessibility issue with ESO and Macs that causes the mouse to spin.

I had that issue before when I ran the Mac client. I don't think it is related to Apple Silicon.

on the youtube page there are posts for a work around of the spinning mouse issue.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭

Usually those are the "default" scaling. Using some apps or holding Option while clicking the configuration, you can sometimes see more scaling options (I use EasyRes on my Mac, for example, to set a custom scaling when using just the monitor).

Display
    Retina display

13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
    Supported scaled resolutions:
    1680 by 1050
    1440 by 900
    1024 by 640
    500 nits brightness
    Wide color (P3)
    True Tone technology

from the spec page for the macbook
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Display
    Retina display

13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
    Supported scaled resolutions:
    1680 by 1050
    1440 by 900
    1024 by 640
    500 nits brightness
    Wide color (P3)
    True Tone technology

from the spec page for the macbook

I'm not sure if those are the only ones. If I have time, I can check my own Macbook to see.

What I know is that I use a resolution that is "in between" the default ones that comes with my Mac.

My mac is from 2014, though, so it might be the case that the new M1 Macbooks really are limited (though I doubt it - it has always been possible to set other resolutions for Retina Mac displays).
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s interesting. However, it’s still on the prototype stage.

But if the chip set does come to the pc side, it may force ZOS to update their engine for that architecture. And also Microsoft may finally open up the liscence for the chip as well (meaning we might get Bootcamp on the new chips).

Still, it’s a while away and it does mean acceptance on the pc side. But that article could be a sign of a major change in the pc industry.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But if the chip set does come to the pc side, it may force ZOS to update their engine for that architecture. And also Microsoft may finally open up the liscence for the chip as well (meaning we might get Bootcamp on the new chips).

Still, it’s a while away and it does mean acceptance on the pc side. But that article could be a sign of a major change in the pc industry.

That is what I think will happen.

Those new Macs are so good, that there are news already of AMD investing in desktop/laptop ARM and I'm sure Microsoft is taking lessons from Rosetta 2 to take to ARM Windows, since their emulation solution in the past was really bad.

I do not expect ESO to ever release an ARM binary, but if the current M1s are any indication, ESO will run just fine in Rosetta 2 in newer Macs.

Maybe then ZOS will have some incentive to fix the issues with the Mac client.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to hear but then ofc let's keep in mind that AMD has history of own ARM processors longer than Apple btw with rumors of AMD planning to enter home computers market with ARM cpus going on for at least 10 years now (ever since they have announced officially work on ARM Opterons)

I'd be cautious about it as the is still just a rumor and on top of that no info which core would be used - keep in mind that such Neoverse is not 100% compatible with Cortex-A. And then there is still Cortex-R and Cortex-M. While general purpose apps (server apps, office apps - anything that by default should not rely on hardware specific features) those more demanding software requiring all those performance impacting details provided by hardware may not always be that easy to port.

That is what I think will happen.

Those new Macs are so good, that there are news already of AMD investing in desktop/laptop ARM and I'm sure Microsoft is taking lessons from Rosetta 2 to take to ARM Windows, since their emulation solution in the past was really bad.

I do not expect ESO to ever release an ARM binary, but if the current M1s are any indication, ESO will run just fine in Rosetta 2 in newer Macs.

Maybe then ZOS will have some incentive to fix the issues with the Mac client.
    And then there is still a flip side of this coin. TESO on current M1's works just fine as long as there is no UHD, QHD, Full HD resolutions in use. That's about current client. Now next year we have Oblivion which will more than likely mean changing those minimum requirements and this older hardware being dropped, sorry. If Apple doesn't present anything better than M1 this basically will mean dropping TESO from the picture for many. But then ofc when they were switching to x64 from PPC they have refreshed their hardware up to 3 times per year each time giving it nice performance boost so who know what may happen really.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then there is still a flip side of this coin. TESO on current M1's works just fine as long as there is no UHD, QHD, Full HD resolutions in use. That's about current client. Now next year we have Oblivion which will more than likely mean changing those minimum requirements and this older hardware being dropped, sorry. If Apple doesn't present anything better than M1 this basically will mean dropping TESO from the picture for many. But then ofc when they were switching to x64 from PPC they have refreshed their hardware up to 3 times per year each time giving it nice performance boost so who know what may happen really.

I don't think ESO has ever increased requirements from one patch to the other.

They still have to support the original Xbox One and PS4, and those already struggle tremendously to run the game. They have huge player bases, though.

ZOS wouldn't be crazy to drop older hardware, so I think M1 will keep running ESO just like it does now.