Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game upgrades vs new accounts in what you get

Aralan_B
Aralan_B
✭✭
My adult son, who has been playing ESO off and on since Beta, wants to know in regards to the current Greymoor sale (11/25/2020), why a new player buying the "Greymoor digital standard edition" gets all the expansions -- Summerset, Elsweyr, and Morrowind -- whereas he as an existing user does not get those if he buys the Greymoor upgrade. (He has already previously bought Summerset and Morrowind upgrades.) He needs these for both him and his wife (2 accounts.) It doesn't seem fair, especially if you want existing / previous players to return.
  • Aralan_B
    Aralan_B
    ✭✭
    It is not possible at this time to buy other missing chapters since that are not currently in the store.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chapters get transformed to DLC content after they've been out a year, @Aralan_B ... and are available for purchase in the crown store (or are free with ESO+ subscription).

After Greymoor released in early June, the prior year chapter (Elsweyr) became a DLC that same time.

You can still buy the full Greymoor Standard Edition (or Greymoor Collector's Edition) and still have the missing chapters applied to an account ... even though it comes with the base game which your son already has.

The marketing strategy is pretty simple though. New players get the full gambit from the start. Once you're in as a player, though, it's a little harder to catch up if you take long breaks off.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 26, 2020 9:48AM
  • Aralan_B
    Aralan_B
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I noticed that the previous chapters become DLCs. Elsweyr (and the others) are 3500 crowns, and my son only has 1500 crowns left from when he had ESO plus. He does not want to buy more crowns (and 3500 crowns would be around $25 to $35 more dollars, way more than the sale price of standard edition, plus double that to include his wife.) He had already bought the Greymoor upgrade on sale yesterday, rather than the Standard edition, so just wants the missing chapter now.

He also does not want to buy yet another subscription (ESO Plus) for a game he will not be constantly playing since he already has subscription to at least 2 other MMOs that he plays more often. Yes, maybe a little cheap but he's trying to save money, and bought the upgrade before thinking about the standard edition since he already had the other chapters.

I've also noticed that I cannot buy items (chapters, DLCs, player packs, etc.) as a gift if I already have the item. It seems that ZOS / Bethesda / whomever is missing out on more sales.
  • WolvedOut
    WolvedOut
    ✭✭
    I think Crowns should have gone on sale as well, I understand from a market strategy it makes little sense, but in cases like this, I think it would work well.
    Discord: SoldieredOut
    Always Ready, Always There!