Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Favourite Battlegrounds Modes

Recapitated
Recapitated
✭✭✭✭
With the queue for specific modes gone, some people are finding now that they have only a 20% or 40% chance of queuing into the mode they care about. I'm curious to see what people want to play. My guess is some people don't care, some people want deathmatch, and some people want anything but. But i could be wrong.

My opinion btw is after queuing into a lobby you should be able to vote on the mode. Or vote when you queue and once the teams are formed use that information to choose the mode.
Edited by Recapitated on November 4, 2020 3:23AM

Favourite Battlegrounds Modes 75 votes

I want to play Deathmatch
45%
sabresandiego_ESOSolarikenMurderMostFoulblistb16_ESOHastemBashevWaffennachthanslandaTimeDazzlerGrigorijMalahevichmeekmikoJierdanitKurtAngle2Orange_fire_dragontt_rs3Mariusghost84ThePedgeUrvothOlumoGarbagFangOfTheTwoMoons 34 votes
I want to play Flag Games (Chaosball and CTR)
4%
rumple9Nord_RaseriVinterskald 3 votes
I want to play Land Grab (Domination and Crazy King)
6%
Aektannmaster_vanargandtonyblackMuzakalePantsKaGaOri 5 votes
I want to play anything but Deathmatch
8%
CoatmagicSOLDIER_1stClassrenneMKintrAraneae6537Faiza 6 votes
I want to play anything but Flag Games
2%
PeterUnlustigFaded 2 votes
I want to play anything but Land Grab
1%
Aznox 1 vote
I'll play anything
24%
wheem_ESOChardeeMacDBeastnaslolo_01b16_ESODTStormfoxactoshmmtaniacMojomonkeymanWeesacshexnoticrusselmmendozaSshadowSscaleZekkaUrzigurumashJoinovikovaKatechonnXiomaroLightYagami 18 votes
I like some odd combination among the games (e.g. Chaosball but never CTR)
8%
SaubonKartalinElo106FirstmepGrimlok_Sthe1andonlyskwex 6 votes
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    Anything but CTR. CTF mode might be good with two sides, but in eso it is just endles crosshold without anyone being able to cap.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll play anything
    Full random made more balanced matches you have less chance to met tanks with 50k hp on games.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »
    Full random made more balanced matches you have less chance to met tanks with 50k hp on games.

I don't think I understand, why would that matter? I assume the MMR's been reset but that's all?
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem also is because we all get put in the same queue you get teams that queued because they want DM just going around slaughtering in other modes, and solo or duo who queue for the non solo queue get put into all the games that people AFK out of because they don't want.

I'm getting 90% land grab queues which is my LEAST favorite mode I would never play it if I had a choice, it's not even properly random so far I have gotten more than 10 to 1 ratio of modes I don't want to play vs the ones I do. I went from being able to do deathmatches and use my build and toon for it's intended purpose most of the day to, getting less than ten games of deathmatch in entire day of queues. This is the end of battlegrounds for a lot of people, it's enforcement of casual play policy in action but like always zenimax failed to understand what would actually take place which is they ruined the other modes in the process too, and made the queue unbearable to play for any extended period of time.
  • Scott_Sterlling
    It was obvious if you looked at the leaderboards, Dm always had people ovr 300k and land grab and Flag games usually under 200k, was no secret what people like.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was obvious if you looked at the leaderboards, Dm always had people ovr 300k and land grab and Flag games usually under 200k, was no secret what people like.

I think what counts as a high medal score in each mode is different though, so that messes with the comparison.
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    I'll play anything

I think what counts as a high medal score in each mode is different though, so that messes with the comparison.

Yeah, getting 5k points or more per match in DM is pretty common. In other modes you're lucky to get 2k per match.

On topic: I like all the game modes. The other game I play is Overwatch so I'm quite used to playing objectives. I also used to play a Thief in sPvP in Guild Wars 2 - I play Stamsorc here and it plays very similarly on objective matches. I don't mind deathmatch but it gets really sweaty at high MMR. It's fairly common for the game to end because of time instead of kills. The other modes feel a lot more chilled out by comparison. That being said, I've probably played more deathmatch than anything else.

The thing I like about non-deathmatch is that it forces fights to happen at certain locations. Deathmatch tends to be a matter of "let the other 2 teams clash then we clean up". So it feels like a Mexican stand off sometimes.
    PC EU No CP PVP
    Xiomaro: Nord Stamsorc
    Xio'maro: Breton Magsorc
    Falura Avelni: Dunmer Vampblade
    Ulric Longboi: Nord Stamden
    Sha'boom-boom: Orc Werewolf Tank
    Morga The Roarer Nord Stamcro
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play anything
    Xiomaro wrote: »
    Yeah, getting 5k points or more per match in DM is pretty common. In other modes you're lucky to get 2k per match.

Perfect 50 tick games of Chaosball gets you around 2k, a 5 run Relic games gets you 2.5k, a few kills/assists on top you can get about 3k, but for those 2 modes that's about the limit these days, in a competitive match. Land Grab games can drag on a little longer, but getting over 4k against experienced opponents is still unlikely.

Still, one reason why DM Leaderboard scores are higher than Objectives is simply that more matches are being played, because more people are in the DM Queue versus the Objective Queues. If you sat in DM Queue all day you would play many more matches than if you sat in the Objective Queues - in my experience.

I guess my ideal ratio would be something like an Objective game every 3 rounds.

Edited by Urzigurumash on November 5, 2020 12:41PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xiomaro wrote: »

On topic: I like all the game modes. The other game I play is Overwatch so I'm quite used to playing objectives. I also used to play a Thief in sPvP in Guild Wars 2 - I play Stamsorc here and it plays very similarly on objective matches.

I just started playing GW2 a week ago!
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this option. No CTR or Domination for me, hate that not fighting is a bigger guarantee of success in these games.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike spending a large chunk of timing running cover to cover healing myself cuz I got the ball and everyone else gets to play DM

I dislike running from flag to flag seeing literally no one ansld tripling the next highest score because its DM for everyone else.

Might as well just make em all death match.

I think we can stand to lose the 6 people that like the other modes more
    Edited by Waffennacht on November 5, 2020 6:17PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we can stand to lose the 6 people that like the other modes more

I think the reality is you're going to lose people. Some people aren't going to bother waiting in line for a 20% chance to enjoy themselves.

If the mode split had been kept, you'd see very few people queuing for some modes and reasonably healthy queues for others.

As is, about 50% of the population is going to be dissatisfied most of the time. They'll probably queue a lot less if at all. So people who enjoy unpopular modes will have a slightly better population to play from at the cost of turning away 50% of players.

A better solution than the one I named in OP is once an instance is populated, decide the mode randomly, but give modes that got more votes more chance of being selected. That way it'll be proportional instead of deathmatch taking the cake every time.
    Edited by Recapitated on November 5, 2020 7:33PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

This is telling. Your players will be happier if BG matchmaking was weighted to make deathmatch games more often. I can't imagine it would be too hard to code into matchmaking a 50% deathmatch/50% other objective mode preference.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on November 6, 2020 3:47AM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order of preference:

1) Chaosball
    2) Domination
    3) Crazy King
    4) Deathmatch
    5) Capture the Relic
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should have an option to Favour one Gamemode (or 2) And if other people have their marks set on that Gamemode they are more likely to be matched with us.

The biggest argument they bring up, is that the population would be too thin for a splitt que but with a voting system like OP suggested or a Favour system where you have a bigger chance for your favourite game mode that would be alot better.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should have an option to Favour one Gamemode (or 2) And if other people have their marks set on that Gamemode they are more likely to be matched with us.

The biggest argument they bring up, is that the population would be too thin for a splitt que but with a voting system like OP suggested or a Favour system where you have a bigger chance for your favourite game mode that would be alot better.

That's a great potential solution, and I have 0 faith that it could be implemented appropriately.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play anything
    I queue random all the time.
    Same results all the time.
    I die over a dozen time.
    All of the time.
  • Dakkx
    Dakkx
    ✭✭✭
    I know not very many people participated in the poll but I’d say this is as good an indicator to zos as any about what needs to change with this random only queue.
    Edited by Dakkx on November 19, 2020 5:51AM
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dakkx wrote: »
    I know not very many people participated in the poll but I’d say this is as good an indicator to zos as any about what needs to change with this random only queue.

I have to wonder what's going on under the hood. It takes like an hour at most mulling this over to know that it's going to create more population problems than it solves and to think of weighing the RNG around the modes that people select. Makes me wonder if maybe the group finder is not equipped to implement that easily.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised to see Team #NoDeathmatch in the minority lol.

I have fun in any mode with an objective. Deathmatch really sucks for the moderate player - especially since everyone and their mother is playing a Werewolf that cannot be killed :#
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, no offense OP, but there are only 60 votes on this poll lol. That is nowhere near indicative of the feelings of the playerbase as a whole.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »
    Also, no offense OP, but there are only 60 votes on this poll lol. That is nowhere near indicative of the feelings of the playerbase as a whole.

To be fair 60 is about the right number for the amount bg players on some platforms xD.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be a specific queue for deathmatch, this game went from being one of the most fun and addictive mmos to a game that gets boring in just over an hour.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »

This wouldn't be a problem if you bumped my threads more <3