The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Fantastic Customer Service

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an example of their "fantastic" customer service.

The character creator / editor is bugged. What you choose in creation isn't always what you get.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/550686/character-creation-is-bugged-your-appearance-might-not-be-what-you-selected

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/550686/character-creation-is-bugged-your-appearance-might-not-be-what-you-selected

Contacted CS asking for an appearance change token, just so I can fix what they broke.
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is Marihelen and I will be discussing this matter with you today.

I understand you are contacting us regarding a bug with the character creation screen.

Thank you for providing us this information. As it is, we are unable to provide compensation for the experience you have described.

I do apologize as I know this is not the answer you were hoping for., Should you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out as we'd be happy to answer any you may have.

Thank you,
    Marihelen
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

Thieves!

No flipping way am I going to pay for a token.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    True that smart companies treat their upset customers very well but that is not what I spoke about. It has nothing to do with demanding customers at all. I was speaking of jerks. Those that bully CS around. So yea, smart companies do go that extra mile for customers that are not idiots and do not treat their CS and other employees like trash.

Even Jerks have to be dealt with in a kind manner. Customer service 101 (your brother should know this) is to understand that when a customer is upset, they are not upset at YOU, but the situation. Customer Service agents who get offended, or take it personally, and therefore retaliate, should not be in that position of employment.

But regardless. This is what you said.

IDK wrote - "Also, be polite as I expect your wife will be. Zos CS makes notes of poor attitudes and abusive responses as many companies do. Companies tend to put less effort into helping people who are jerks."

If ZOS is doing this, as you assert (I am not sure how you would actually know this information...seems dubious at best), then that can only mean they intend to retaliate by not taking care of that ticket appropriately.
    BTW, I get this information from advice my brother-in-law from when he started off in CS for a Fortune 500. He of course got it from his training. He is not a senior VP of marketing of the Fortune 500. I think I am going to take his word for it as that advice, and his training, have served both him and myself very well.
    My blood brother is head of a department for one of the largest telecoms in the world. He takes care of customers and clients across the globe. He often speaks at conferences in London, Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore, and countless others. He would take issue with a couple of posts here, including yours.
    For anyone who works in a place that allows customers to bully you around and speak bad about you, I feel for you. After the economy gets going again I suggest you find an employer that treats their people with respect and stands behind them vs allowing them to get steamrolled.
    1. I own my own business.
    2. I have never had to deal with an irate customer or had one treat me badly, because I adhere to the 10 points I posted above.

Even if a client is rude, bullying etc, a calm, understanding and sympathetic demeanor will do wonders for a CS agent in trying to calm an irate customer.
    Edit: BTW, nothing in the 10 points of CS that I hid in the spoiler says CS is to put up with customers acting like idiots and bullying the company employees. Not one point says CS should put up with any and all behavior. Common sense would suggest there are lines that if crossed that the helpful situation changes. Just thought I would point that out.

Actually point 5 and 6 touch on this. People don't need to 'keep their cool' with mildly upset customers now do they.

Glad you have not had to deal with idiots that treat you and your employees extremely poorly.

I think it’s clear to anyone who reads our conversation that it’s clear I am speaking of people active extreemly poorly toward CS employees.

It is great your and your employees are willing to subject themselves to any and all abuses a customer might send their way. I prefer to work for a smart company that will not permit their employees to be treated like dog meat. To each their own I suppose.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually point 5 and 6 touch on this. People don't need to 'keep their cool' with mildly upset customers now do they.

I believe you have clearly missed the point. It's not about how the customers act, its how the business reacts to the customer.

Glad you have not had to deal with idiots that treat you and your employees extremely poorly.
    I don't label upset customers as "idiots", nor do I approach them this way. Perhaps this is your issue.

I think it’s clear to anyone who reads our conversation that it’s clear I am speaking of people active extreemly poorly toward CS employees.
    No, its not clear at all. In fact your posts simply come across as back peddling.

It is great your and your employees are willing to subject themselves to any and all abuses a customer might send their way. I prefer to work for a smart company that will not permit their employees to be treated like dog meat. To each their own I suppose.
    1. I already pointed out that a CS agent should not take a customers anger personally. Only personal threats should be taken as a personal attack. Most of the time the customers anger simply comes out of frustration.
    2. We have a choice as people to accept mean disrespectful stuff said to us, or we can choose to ignore it. If someone is mean or "ignorant" as you like to put it, I simply ignore their words.
    3. "Smart" companies value their customers and do not treat them like trash at the first sign of a problem.

This is really simple, and I am sad for the customers of the company you work for. Customers have a legal right to complain about the product. It's not a privilege, its a right. There are a ton of laws made to protect consumers. Customers who have issues (I already stated this) should not be seen as a problem, but as an opportunity. Most people who have issues with a company/product, especially when dealing with money, are not going to be butt kiss friendly. If that is what you expect from your customers, then you are doing it wrong. These are not my words. How to deal with an irate customer has been documented over and over by billion dollar companies and even Trillion dollar companies.

When a company/CS agent goes defensive instead of maintaining composure, they lose control of the conversation. The LAST thing a CS agent should do (I already pointed this out) is to fuel the fire.

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you have clearly missed the point. It's not about how the customers act, its how the business reacts to the customer.

I don't label upset customers as "idiots", nor do I approach them this way. Perhaps this is your issue.

No, its not clear at all. In fact your posts simply come across as back peddling.

1. I already pointed out that a CS agent should not take a customers anger personally. Only personal threats should be taken as a personal attack. Most of the time the customers anger simply comes out of frustration.
    2. We have a choice as people to accept mean disrespectful stuff said to us, or we can choose to ignore it. If someone is mean or "ignorant" as you like to put it, I simply ignore their words.
    3. "Smart" companies value their customers and do not treat them like trash at the first sign of a problem.

This is really simple, and I am sad for the customers of the company you work for. Customers have a legal right to complain about the product. It's not a privilege, its a right. There are a ton of laws made to protect consumers. Customers who have issues (I already stated this) should not be seen as a problem, but as an opportunity. Most people who have issues with a company/product, especially when dealing with money, are not going to be butt kiss friendly. If that is what you expect from your customers, then you are doing it wrong. These are not my words. How to deal with an irate customer has been documented over and over by billion dollar companies and even Trillion dollar companies.

When a company/CS agent goes defensive instead of maintaining composure, they lose control of the conversation. The LAST thing a CS agent should do (I already pointed this out) is to fuel the fire.

Customers also have a responsibility to complain in a polite and constructive way, or they run the risk of forfeiting whatever rights they may consider they have. It's perfectly reasonable for a company to decline to hear/process a complaint from a customer who tosses out invective and other general abuse at a CS member of staff. Although not in CS, I processed a number of complaints from clients during my career, and not once did I proceed with a conversation with someone who was abusing me or my company. Informing them that I would not tolerate such an approach didn't cost me a single client we would have wanted to keep, and invariably earned an apology and a fresh approach from the client. It isn't a case of treating such clients "like trash at the first sign of a problem", it's a case of expecting them to behave reasonably in the way they present their problem in order that you can help them in an equally reasonable way.

I certainly don't condone fuelling the fire, rather informing the customer/client that if they persist in swearing and general abuse towards the person they're speaking to then the call will be terminated. Of course, I'm speaking from a UK perspective and such things may be approached differently in the US and elsewhere.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Customers also have a responsibility to complain in a polite and constructive way, or they run the risk of forfeiting whatever rights they may consider they have. It's perfectly reasonable for a company to decline to hear/process a complaint from a customer who tosses out invective and other general abuse at a CS member of staff. Although not in CS, I processed a number of complaints from clients during my career, and not once did I proceed with a conversation with someone who was abusing me or my company. Informing them that I would not tolerate such an approach didn't cost me a single client we would have wanted to keep, and invariably earned an apology and a fresh approach from the client. It isn't a case of treating such clients "like trash at the first sign of a problem", it's a case of expecting them to behave reasonably in the way they present their problem in order that you can help them in an equally reasonable way.

I certainly don't condone fuelling the fire, rather informing the customer/client that if they persist in swearing and general abuse towards the person they're speaking to then the call will be terminated. Of course, I'm speaking from a UK perspective and such things may be approached differently in the US and elsewhere.

Thank you for adding your thoughts. Certainly worded better than me. I would hope that every company treasures its employees well enough to not permit them to deal with abusive customers acting like idiots and treating them poorly.

I very much understand those 10 points are about how the business/employee reacts to the customer when they are abusive. Interesting how I used that actual term in my first post in this thread that you found objectionable.
    Also, be polite as I expect your wife will be. Zos CS makes notes of poor attitudes and abusive responses as many companies do. Companies tend to put less effort into helping people who are jerks.

Just making it clear I have not changed my tone. I would find it sad that any employer would expect their employees to deal with any level of abuse that comes their way. I personally have kicked an employee out and banned them from life because they threatened an employee of mine. I will stand by that decision because that type of customer is not one I want to do business with.

Edit: I think we have detracted from this thread enough. I will be on my way.

I do hope the OP's wife gets the situation resolved quickly and as they hope. Zos helped me before as I had mentioned earlier.
    Edited by idk on November 2, 2020 6:56PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The problem with your method is multiple fold.
    1. Legally you can not disregard a customers complaint just because they are being mean. This can get you into a lawsuit.
    2. Who sets the standard for what is "general abuse"? If a customer service agent gets offended because the customer uses a slang word not as an insult but just in conversation, and then the CS agent retaliates and escalates the issue, you risk losing a good customer who simply used a "curse word" in conversation. Without a standard set, you risk losing a cliental because a sensitive CS agent took things the wrong way. This is why its important for CS agents to not take things personally (as I have stated multiple times now).
    3. If you did not process requests because a customer was angry, you lost that customer 100%. Just because a customer is angry does not mean they are a bad customer or a customer you do not want. You claim that you "never lost one" can not possibly be true because there is no way for you to know if someone is still using the product/service and or if they quit, why.

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I very much understand those 10 points are about how the business/employee reacts to the customer when they are abusive. Interesting how I used that actual term in my first post in this thread that you found objectionable.
    Based on your comments I would have to disagree.
    Just making it clear I have not changed my tone. I would find it sad that any employer would expect their employees to deal with any level of abuse that comes their way. I personally have kicked an employee out and banned them from life because they threatened an employee of mine. I will stand by that decision because that type of customer is not one I want to do business with.
    As I said, threats are not tolerated. But this entire discussion is not about threats, its about how to treat an angry customer. A customer can be angry and NOT threating. This can happen simultaneously.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your comments I would have to disagree.

I agree to disagree as I do not tolerate abuse towards me or anyone that works for me. Abuse is a word I used to characterize what I am speaking of in the first post I made in this thread.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with your method is multiple fold.
    1. Legally you can not disregard a customers complaint just because they are being mean. This can get you into a lawsuit.
    2. Who sets the standard for what is "general abuse"? If a customer service agent gets offended because the customer uses a slang word not as an insult but just in conversation, and then the CS agent retaliates and escalates the issue, you risk losing a good customer who simply used a "curse word" in conversation. Without a standard set, you risk losing a cliental because a sensitive CS agent took things the wrong way. This is why its important for CS agents to not take things personally (as I have stated multiple times now).
    3. If you did not process requests because a customer was angry, you lost that customer 100%. Just because a customer is angry does not mean they are a bad customer or a customer you do not want. You claim that you "never lost one" can not possibly be true because there is no way for you to know if someone is still using the product/service and or if they quit, why.

1. Not the case in respect of the area of professional services in the UK I was concerned with.

2. I am not suggesting one slang or swear word is grounds for terminating a complaint call, or even anger on the part of a disappointed or frustrated customer/client. That can always be defused and the complaint resolved - but only if the customer/client calms down, otherwise such behavior may be considered ok in a call centre handling product or service complaints but it isn't remotely acceptable in a professional services environment. In fact I doubt there are many companies in the UK that would accept personal abuse in any CS situation, pretty well every company and organisation here operates a zero tolerance policy where abuse of staff is concerned.

3. I know I didn't lose any existing clients because where necessary I resolved their issues by getting them to apologise for the manner of their abuse and then working through the issues with them. In one case I dealt with a client's complaint in court, won the case, and he even came back to me with another job later on so I know I didn't lose him! I did lose one prospective client because his manner was unacceptable and I told him to look for advice elsewhere as I wouldn't be acting for him.

EDIT: I agree with @idk that we've run the course with this particular thread hijacking, it's clear that we have operated our businesses with a very different approach to the one you're concerned with where the tolerance of abusive customers/clients is concerned.That's fine, there aren't any debating points to be won or lost when discussing such a difference of approach, we just treat these situations differently and speak to our own experiences. Let's leave the OP to celebrate the speed with which ZOS responded to his wife's problem!
    Edited by Tandor on November 2, 2020 11:55PM
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After review, we have decided to close this thread as it would seem as it has gone off topic.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.