The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Necro is becoming a tank class

Ganondroid
Ganondroid
✭✭
So I was looking over the changes for the colossus next patch, and I think necro tank will be able to keep colossus uptime around 90% without having another necro in group.

3 ulti/sec from light attacks/blocking
1.5 ulti/sec from minor heroism
0.5 ulti/sec from nord passive
6 ulti/sec from necrotic potency
0.625 ulti/sec from corpse consumption passive
2.6 ulti/sec from bloodspawn

If you can keep everything up, that's
14.225 ulti/sec total

Colossus costs 225 ultimate.
With expunge it costs 218.25.
The debuff will last 15 seconds according to PTS.

218.25 ult / 14.225 ult/sec = 15.3 seconds to get colossus.

So in an ideal world that's 98% uptime on colossus from one necro in group. That won't actually happen in content, but and 85-90% uptime seems very doable.

Another thing to think about is alkosh leaving the meta though. That leaves a free set for tank to run, so if the necro tanks replaces alkosh with an ulti set, they could definitely achieve 100% uptime on colossus.

Example 1: arkasis
44 ulti /45 sec cooldown on potion = 0.97 ulti/sec

Add this to our regular ultigen with bloodspawn 14.225 + 0.97 = 15.2 ulti/sec

218.25 ult / 15.2 ult/sec = 14.4 seconds

So with arkasis in ideal conditions, a necro tank can keep colossus 100% uptime. By adding in potion cooldown jewelry this can be made more reliable as well.

Example 2: akaviri dragonguard

15% ult cost reduction means colossus costs 218.25*0.85 = 186 ult

186 ult / 14.225 ult/sec = 13 sec to colossus.

Dragonguard makes it a cake walk to keep 100% uptime on colossus with only 1 necro. The downside is that it's more selfish than arkasis which gives 3 group member ultimate as well.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potency being 6/s is fake news.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thought they already were
  • Ganondroid
    Ganondroid
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Potency being 6/s is fake news.

Definitely going to be fight dependant on that one, but the ulti gen is still there to run one necro. You'd just have to run potion cooldown jewelry with arkasis to get there if you can't get enough bodies for potency.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just run stam then having necros isn't a bad thing?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Just run stam then having necros isn't a bad thing?

A lot of groups/players would prefer to not run a stam comp group.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now it already costs like 6-7 players to kill one necro tank in PvP. Don't forget that their damage output is high while being able to tank.

Stamcros will be in god-mode in PvP.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necrotic Potency definitely is nowhere near 6 Ultimate/second in a single-target fight.

On a DPS using Blastbones every third GCD, it's only going to be 2.X Ultimate/second (fraction accounts for Skeletal Pet and Armor otherwise it would just be 2.0). Somehow, I don't think that a tank is going to be using Blastbones every third GCD.

Further, Minor Heroism is 1 Ultimate every 1.5 seconds or 0.67 Ultimate/second not 1.5.

And you will definitely not realize maximum efficiency on the Nord passive, Bloodspawn or corpse consumption passive, which will chop those numbers down a bit as well. OTOH, you forgot about the Ultimate gained from using Synergies but that will vary depending upon your group composition.

In other words, your Ultimate generation values are greatly overestimated.
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    Ganondroid wrote: »
    0.5 ulti/sec from nord passive
    6 ulti/sec from necrotic potency
    2.6 ulti/sec from bloodspawn

Nord passive and bloodspawn procs aren't very reliable, but you can go with imperial and make colossus even cheaper and it works even while offtanking.
    6 ulti/sec from necro potency- come on man... if you'll count your most common corpse generators and execute them perfectly it is 12 ulti/8sec - 1,5 ulti/sec (guardian) + 12/10 - 1,2 ulti/sec (armor) = 2,7 ulti/sec not counting when your skill overlaps or you have to actually use tanking skills. Lets say 6 ulti/sec is achievable only with many adds
    Ganondroid wrote: »
    Example 1: arkasis
    44 ulti /45 sec cooldown on potion = 0.97 ulti/sec

You can use jewelry with 3x potion glyph (or 2 infused jewelry) and make it 44/30 sec 1,47 ulti/sec, this might not be desirable for nord tanks, but potion speed jewelry is quite good for argonians
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, necro was always an ulti based class. Second, only 2 of the many ulti sources you listed actually come from necro. Third, the necro class is so jank that nobody would use it (except the people that are into the whole undead rp thing to begin with) if the ulti wasn't so broken, giving what was once the strongest debuffs ever introduces in the game. I jump on mine once in a while because nostalgia sets in and I immediately realize why I stopped. The blastbones rotation is unreliable, the animations feel longer than other classes, it's slow, every move is a criminal act which is more annoying than flavorful, the ghost just like radiating regen can be an unreliable self heals because of the 2 second bursts and it's tendency to target others. Those are a few of the problems among many others. Ulti regen is all it has going for it.
  • dcmgti
    dcmgti
    ✭✭✭
    I run bloodspawn, Arkasis and Leeching on my dungeon necro tank. Was running Dragonguard and I haven't actually decided which one I like more. The colossus uptimes are close in content but the extra mag recovery from Dragonguard is nice. I like my necro for dungeon runs, especially quick farming runs with high dps guild members and have done a little trial content on it. I still prefer tanking on my DK though, the necro just isn't as smooth and the healing isn't quite on par with DK which is one reason I run Leeching on the necro.

I've tried necro as dps and tank and I definitely prefer the tank version. I do actually think necro is one of the best universal classes though. They do well in all roles whereas most other classes seem to lack in at least one of the three roles. But for me its a different tanking style than Warden and DK. And I just personally didn't care for the mag dps rotation.
    Edited by dcmgti on November 2, 2020 2:41PM