The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

ESO should have a new Server on Playstation 5

• LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nononono.
    Let's not split the playerbase even more than it already is. That has "bad idea" written all over it.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides everyone knows the servers are Commodore 64s!.

I wish I still had my Commodore 64. I also had the tape drive. Lol
    Options
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reguvin wrote: »
    In 2015 Zenimax give the ESO players on the PC server option to transfer from PC to Playstation 4.

I was one of the players that accepted this transfer and continued on Playstation 4 afterwards.

In my opinion it would be so much better to have seperate server on Playstation 5 so that people can make a fresh start.

Players on Playstation 4 and PC should be allowed to transfer one character from their server to the Playstation 5 servers just like in 2015.

I don't see any benefits of having Playstation 4 and Playstation 5 servers submerged. Players should have a choice to stick on one platform not two platforms.

I hope that Zenimax reads this. I have been playing since the BETA of ESO and don't want them to keep different platforms mixed.

NO

1) You’re asking to split the player base. Already problematic as the game has been built around the increasing population of the game. PS5/XBOX Series X populations would be incredibly sparse and the completion of group content/Cyrodiil would be frustrating.

2) You’re asking for ZOS to pay for, maintain, and update another megaserver, 2 perhaps. That’s incredibly costly and an strain on the developer/service teams. Financially it’s not worth it.

3) I don’t think you understand what a “character transfer” would full entail. A transfer would also involve an account and all the data within. Bound items, accrued achievements, progressions within the game world, housing and item placements (there is no storage space to take everything out of all homes and store it), reconstruction set progressions, etc. It’s far more information than what was around the game initially and all characters would be involved. That much data being transferred to another server (which ZOS says they would have to develop a costly tool to
    do) just isn’t impractical it’s incredibly risky and prone to corruption.

4) There is no difference between PS4/PS5 in terms of content, simply graphics and performance. Those are entirely dependent on the owner’s system and not the servers. ZOS would not develop content for any platform that another could not enjoy. The game parameters WILL be bound by base PS4/XBOX1 specs until support for those systems are dropped. Don’t expect that when populations are huge for those platforms and incredibly low for the new systems.

It’s a bad idea. Period.
    Options
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a fresh start... Make a new account.

He's already got multiple. Again, there's a specific reason he wants this, as already mentioned by someone else...
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS should split PC servers for RTX 30X0 cards and older cards, allowing transfers on the new servers. ;)

This topic shows a misunderstanding of what is going on here. There is no difference whatsoever between PS4 and PS5, or a GTX 1070 and a GTX 3090 (or an AMD card). There are PC servers. There are PS servers. There are XBox servers. They are all separate from other networks.

All that PS5 will likely get is an updated client. The client is just the program that runs locally on your device. There will be no server change. Initially, people can probably just run the PS4 client on PS5. I assume there is compatibility, but I haven't been paying attention.

They are not going to add new, separate servers. New streaming services will just connect to PC servers, just like Steam and Stadia. Consoles will connect to the servers for their respective networks. When MS starts allowing people to play games on their xbox using xcloud, I suppose xbox players could start playing eso using PC servers if they wanted to, but that account would be separate from xbox eso accounts.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    how about new, better servers that actually work for all platforms?!

I cringe every time I hear someone mention 'better servers.' It is far more likely a software issue, not a hardware issue.

So if you mean re-write the backend, sure, that would be nice. Not a quick change.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way to have a fresh start is not to transfer a character to a different server, it's either to play on a different server or to open a second account. I've done both, and highly recommend them - especially the different server as then nothing carries across, such as CPs or mailed gold/gear etc, so it truly is a fresh start.

Besides which, there are currently two platforms on console. That will remain the case when new console models come out, just as there isn't a new PC platform every time I upgrade my PC.
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The way to have a fresh start is not to transfer a character to a different server, it's either to play on a different server or to open a second account.

I suppose if you're a pariah on your current server, a server transfer might allow you to get a (social) "fresh start" without losing (gameplay) "progress". I'm not sure people in that situation are the ones ZOS should be catering to though.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The way to have a fresh start is not to transfer a character to a different server, it's either to play on a different server or to open a second account.

I suppose if you're a pariah on your current server, a server transfer might allow you to get a (social) "fresh start" without losing (gameplay) "progress". I'm not sure people in that situation are the ones ZOS should be catering to though.

I think you could just change character and user names, couldn't you?
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to define fresh start.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Did you ever take the tape drive out and play it in a cassette player to hear what the programming sounds like to the human ear?

Options
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about this since we were bought by Microsoft. I think its likely we will be getting new servers if possible. It would make since from a cost perspective. As of right now im pretty sure our servers are 3rd party, so we are paying for there maintenance cost plus enough for the 3rd part company to make a profit. However Microsoft has there own server so if we switched to those it would save money only paying for the cost of running them.
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about this since we were bought by Microsoft. I think its likely we will be getting new servers if possible. It would make since from a cost perspective. As of right now im pretty sure our servers are 3rd party, so we are paying for there maintenance cost plus enough for the 3rd part company to make a profit. However Microsoft has there own server so if we switched to those it would save money only paying for the cost of running them.

I'm guessing Microsoft made the purchase looking at future and in development projects and will for the most part leave existing products alone.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

I'm guessing Microsoft made the purchase looking at future and in development projects and will for the most part leave existing products alone.

I mean ya but if they can save money
    Edited by GrimTheReaper45 on November 1, 2020 3:58AM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    linuxlady wrote: »

Did you ever take the tape drive out and play it in a cassette player to hear what the programming sounds like to the human ear?

I cannot say I did. I mostly used it for trying out writing different programs. Do not ask me what I might have created all those years ago because I cannot even begin to recall.
    Options
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    linuxlady wrote: »

I used to record programs and games off the radio (the equivalent of "torrenting"). That was a thing.

Edited by mairwen85 on November 1, 2020 7:23PM
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No purchase has happened yet, there's just an agreement to purchase which will be followed through next year.

In any event, even if your facts are right about the server arrangements, the chances are that ZOS would have to pay a similar amount internally to whichever Microsoft division runs their servers. Even if Microsoft pursue economies of scale by merging things like servers and customer support etc throughout their company it doesn't automatically follow that this would lead to improvements, it's quite often the opposite when that sort of thing happens!
    Options
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reguvin wrote: »

In my opinion it would be so much better to have seperate server on Playstation 5 so that people can make a fresh start.

You already have the power to do so. It is also cheaper. Just make a new account.

Poof, starting fresh. I don't know about how PS works, but if anything like Xbox, then it's free, so no money even needed.

So I don't understand. Why does Zenimax have to do something while you still have the power to do so.
    Edited by Davor on November 1, 2020 2:55PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Options