Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

ESO should have a new Server on Playstation 5

reguvin
reguvin
✭✭✭✭
In 2015 Zenimax give the ESO players on the PC server option to transfer from PC to Playstation 4.

I was one of the players that accepted this transfer and continued on Playstation 4 afterwards.

In my opinion it would be so much better to have seperate server on Playstation 5 so that people can make a fresh start.

Players on Playstation 4 and PC should be allowed to transfer one character from their server to the Playstation 5 servers just like in 2015.

I don't see any benefits of having Playstation 4 and Playstation 5 servers submerged. Players should have a choice to stick on one platform not two platforms.

I hope that Zenimax reads this. I have been playing since the BETA of ESO and don't want them to keep different platforms mixed.
- Beta Tester
- PC (2014-2015)
- Playstation 4 (Since 2015)

- Known for Trading & Guilds
  • reguvin
    reguvin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xbox players should also be allowed to transfer their character to the new Xbox platform instead of being merged into one server.
    - Beta Tester
    - PC (2014-2015)

Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Zos merging?

Also, how could it be better to divide the PS players into two groups and have a low population server for the PS5 early adopters? It sounds like a bad idea as most players will not go since it would require groups that currently play together to split up.
    Edited by idk on October 30, 2020 5:25AM
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether it's 4 or 5, Playstation is Playstation. There's no Account transfers for that.
    reguvin wrote: »
    Xbox players should also be allowed to transfer their character to the new Xbox platform instead of being merged into one server.

It's the same for Xbox. The entire family is on the same server, because whether it's the Xbox One or the Xbox Series, it's all still Xbox. I don't understand why others can't understand that. There's no new platform here, only new hardware.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • sionIV
    sionIV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I can understand why some people would like a fresh start, I highly doubt Zenimax would do this. They're not going to split the playerbase between PS4 & PS5.
    Edited by sionIV on November 1, 2020 7:33AM
    Options
  • reguvin
    reguvin
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    What is Zos merging?

Yes but there is no reason to have everyone on one server.

They could add one server for Playstation 5 and one server for Xbox X Series.

This wouldn't affect anything, nobody would be upset since it would mean a fresh start for many.
    - Beta Tester
    - PC (2014-2015)

Options
  • reguvin
    reguvin
    ✭✭✭✭
    sionIV wrote: »
    Why I can understand why some people would like a fresh start, I highly doubt Zenimax would do this. They're not going to split the playerbase between PS4 & PS5.

They should split the player base.

If they don't do this.

Imagine having Playstation 4 players on a Playstation 6 console.

If I was in Zenimax shoes I would have allowed transfers to take place so that there will be a new server added instead of having one server for Playstation 4 and 5.
    - Beta Tester
    - PC (2014-2015)

Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Zos merging?

This wouldn't affect anything, nobody would be upset since it would mean a fresh start for many.

Not at all. There is really no reason for Zos to try to split PS4 players from PS5.

It would affect a great many people. It would require players to leave the friends they enjoy playing with. Considering

In reality, there is not a good business reason for Zos to create these new servers.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why I can understand why some people would like a fresh start, I highly doubt Zenimax would do this. They're not going to split the playerbase between PS4 & PS5.
    Imagine having Playstation 4 players on a Playstation 6 console.

I think we are getting a little to far ahead of things talking about PS6.
    Options
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you think microsoft will like a ps5 server?
    Options
  • reguvin
    reguvin
    ✭✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »

Zenimax already said they will keep going wih ESO the same way on Playstation and on Xbox like before, Microsoft doesn't have anything to do with it.
    - Beta Tester
    - PC (2014-2015)

Options
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make no difference. The consoles are just essentially custom PCs with custom closed architecture/OS.
    It would make no difference from eithers perspective on a player on a PS4/5/6
    It makes as much difference as a player on PC with a i3/660, i5/1080 or a pentium II and a potato, you see only from your perspective.
    Internet connection is the only thing that makes a difference.

That being said. It would be very stupid of ZOS to then go and make an entire different server for next gen consoles, tripling their workload and splintering the player base while they can just easily have people playing on different hardware on the same server as they do on PC.

If anything they should merge the 2 console player base together with cross play.
    Edited by Stinkyremy on October 30, 2020 5:47AM
    Options
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not enough players to start separating player bases. ZoS has lost a lot players since Vvardenfel.

I do agree they should invest to proper servers both pc and consoles since the game performance is absolutely horrific.

That a reality reminder to any new players to stay away from this mmo.
    Options
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There wont need to be any new servers--only a new client. Why would they spin up an entirely new megaserver for next gen when the only thing that's changed for the platform is its graphical and processing capability. None of that requires the server to change. I mean, when windows 10 came out, did every online company have to upgrade their servers too? Or every time I get a better phone, does that mean Amazon needs to change their servers? No, windows just got a new browser. The same will happen for consoles, a new client to interact with the servers that makes use of the new console hardware. But PS4 players will be playing with PS5 players, and likewise for Xbox.
    Miswar wrote: »
    There is not enough players to start separating player bases. ZoS has lost a lot players since Vvardenfel.

I do agree they should invest to proper servers both pc and consoles since the game performance is absolutely horrific.

That a reality reminder to any new players to stay away from this mmo

I know people like to rag on ZOS about servers etc, but in 2014, the megaserver architecture wasn't just ambitious, it was fairly cutting edge, and what we see in the tech industry around that time was several similar concepts emerging for all online technologies; currently the way to go is micro-services: the client appears as a single application, but behind it, it's pulling and pushing data to a multitude of distributed and decoupled service endpoints which may or may not exist on the same server, each service dedicated to churning over and functionally working data--the megaserver concept was designed to scale out similarly with no single instance in isolation on a single server and instead spanning them across multiple servers providing the client with a bunch of endpoint to interact with it, or more likely the case a single funnel into the mega server (bad design in fairness). The major fail point is max capacity appears to be limited and potentially those endpoints are not wholly decoupled enough to bear the load. Like I said, it was an ambitious design at the time, not far removed from where the industry has landed itself today, just, unfortunately, not close enough to really benefit. Increasing capacity is the only way to leverage that architecture which limits actual scalability in a way I don't think was considered at the time... that said, the next evolution would be to micro-service. I can't attest to how easy that would be as I don't have intimate knowledge of how data is processed within the central context of ESO, but I'm willing to bet that should they be able to afford the cost of the work required, it would most certainly benefit.

Edited by mairwen85 on October 30, 2020 9:00AM
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I certainly have no desire for a "fresh start", myself, especially if I'm losing everything/everyone to play on ps5. I'm not refarming every skin in the game again and over many years worth of gear. That's why I'll never switch to pc, either. I don't have it in me to grind it all over again, especially when the game itself is so buggy. Endgame pve is borderline a ghost town as it is currently. Imagine splitting that up even further. It's already hard enough to find 12 competent people...
    Options
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    This makes no sense.

1. It's not a new platform, it's an upgrade. I don't see separate servers for Windows 7 and Windows 10 players, or separate servers for AMD and Nvidia users. There's not even a separate server for Mac player.

2. Many players will get the new console and move over to that one, expecting to continue where they left off. It would be like asking everyone to abandon all their friends and guilds that have not gotten a new console yet. Plus, there's not going to be twice as many ESO players all of the sudden just because there's now a PS4 and a PS5. Probably 99% will still be the same player base, just split between consoles.

3. Character transfers =/= fresh start. If people want a fresh start, there's 5 other servers to pick from.

4. If ZOS was ever to create a new server to improve the game, they should probably make a dump server where all the farm bots and gold sellers are moved (just like COD puts all the cheaters together in their matchmaking). That way they can make their own little economy between themselves without bothering the rest of players.
    One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
    Options
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There will be families playing on PS4 AND PS5. These families certainly will not want different servers for their family members. Moreover, I would not even consider buying a PS5 anymore if this would mean losing contact to my ESO friends and guilds on PS4.
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    It would make no difference. The consoles are just essentially custom PCs with custom closed architecture/OS.
    It would make no difference from eithers perspective on a player on a PS4/5/6
    It makes as much difference as a player on PC with a i3/660, i5/1080 or a pentium II and a potato, you see only from your perspective.(...)

^ This
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You keep saying you want a fresh start, but a transfer would do the exact opposite - that option existed to allow people moving to console (who didn't have that option before because the console version didn't exist) to carry on where they left off instead of having to start over.

If you want a fresh start you need to create a new account, not transfer the one you've already got to a different server.

And as people have said there's no reason for a different server just because some people are upgrading their hardware. Yes the new consoles will be more powerful but all the differences will be handled client side. Just like they don't need separate servers for people with newer or older PCs or based on which graphics settings you're using, and don't need to split PS4 and PS4 Pro players they don't need to split PS4 and PS5 players because the same server can support both.

The only reason they have different servers for each console and for PC/Mac/Stadia is because the console manufacturers don't like their players mixing, and players are concerned about controllers or keyboard/mouse or addons giving some people an advantage. (And even then they don't separate people using a controller on PC or people using a keyboard and mouse on a console, it just supports the illusion that it's not happening because it's not the default.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    You keep saying you want a fresh start, but a transfer would do the exact opposite - that option existed to allow people moving to console (who didn't have that option before because the console version didn't exist) to carry on where they left off instead of having to start over.

If you want a fresh start you need to create a new account, not transfer the one you've already got to a different server.

Or just play a character on the US or EU server, when your regular ones are on EU or US.

But, yeah - "transfer" and "fresh start" are two entirely different things.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »

Zenimax already said they will keep going wih ESO the same way on Playstation and on Xbox like before, Microsoft doesn't have anything to do with it.

Which would also mean they will not add additional servers.
    Whiphid wrote: »
    This makes no sense.

1. It's not a new platform, it's an upgrade. I don't see separate servers for Windows 7 and Windows 10 players, or separate servers for AMD and Nvidia users. There's not even a separate server for Mac player.

This brings up one of the best analogies showing the logic for why a new platform is not needed and should not occur.
    Options
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with some people playing the game, simple requests aren't always what they seem. You basically want the PS4 and PS5 servers separated so you can attempt to create a monopoly for your guilds on both consoles. Get in there first before all the rest of the large guilds follow. Keeping the servers as they are means you will still be stuck more or less with the traders you currently get. With the odd one in Mournhold once in a blue moon.

The only fresh start you want is less competition lmao.

Edited by Prof_Bawbag on October 30, 2020 2:08PM
    Options
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a fresh start... Make a new account.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
    Options
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing with some people playing the game, simple requests aren't always what they seem. You basically want the PS4 and PS5 servers separated so you can attempt to create a monopoly for your guilds on both consoles. Get in there first before all the rest of the large guilds follow. Keeping the servers as they are means you will still be stuck more or less with the traders you currently get. With the odd one in Mournhold once in a blue moon.

The only fresh start you want is less competition lmao.

I feel like I'm missing some context here wrt OP and the poster quoted.

Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want an fresh start simply make an new account. As I understand this is free on playstation.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit: nm, the thing I was replying to disappeared
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 30, 2020 3:31PM
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides everyone knows the servers are Commodore 64s!.
    Options
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Besides everyone knows the servers are Commodore 64s!.

And ESO lives on a data cassette?
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep and during maintenance they spend a lot of time cleaning and demagnetizing the tape heads. :D
    edit - I forgot they splurged and upgraded to tape from cartridges. lol
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 30, 2020 4:01PM
    Options
  • ilovemycats
    ilovemycats
    ✭✭
    how about new, better servers that actually work for all platforms?!
    Options
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Zos merging?

As others have said, the population on PS5/XBsX servers would be gamebreakingly low.

Also, why?
    Low population would be lame, weak economy would be frustrating, restarting accounts would not be fun, what benefit is there to this proposal?
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
    Options