The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Severe FPS drop after greymoor chapter release #2

• its_TacoTime
    its_TacoTime
    Soul Shriven
    Ah, thank you so much for this guys, finally able to participate in battles again without hopping around the screen
  • Reddorki
    Reddorki
    Soul Shriven
    Vernilon wrote: »
    I'm surprised that nobody wrote about it but there is actually a solution (for those who own Nvidia graphic card). Set MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000, then go to Nvidia Control Panel and set desired Max Frame Rate number. It works for me.

Thank you very much for this. This is exactly what I did.

My pc just updated. I noticed immediately that in vvardenfell, while doing my writs, my FPS would sit at 64-63 ish when it usually was at 100, as that is what I had set my Nvidia refresh rate to. Luckily I found this thread, and I went to check what exactly went down through my view update history. Lo and behold, 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004' successfully installed on 9/15/20.

Thanks for the solution. Was really wondering if I made a mistake by upgrading my Ryzen 5 2600X with a Ryzen 5 3600X. Coz I hadn't this issue with my previous CPU.
  • Red99
    Red99
    ✭✭✭
    I ve also this problem my fps dropped a lot since windows 2004 update
  • Red99
    Red99
    ✭✭✭
    Changing minframetime solved my fps issue but i still ve some stutter
  • Pajor
    Pajor
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of those work for me
  • Semfim
    Semfim
    ✭✭✭
    Pajor wrote: »
    None of those work for me

yeah, for me neither. minframetime does absolutely nothing on my end and i still get 30 fps...
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else getting it where their FPS is normal for a while (30-60 mins), then it just plummets, and stays there? And every time you move, change camera position, there's obvious stuttering? And that this whole thing persists to the game menus (char select especially) when you log out of a character?

I have, and even with a new PC, I still do. I'm going through every addon I have to see if people are reporting symptoms similar to mine for any of them. It should just be the regular addons, though, not the libraries.
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, it's a long shot, and I'm still not 100% sure if this would consistently work for me: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/74932/quick-fix-for-fps-stuttering

But I tried this fix and played a character for two hours, a mix of fullscreen and windowed fullscreen, and no permanent fps drops or stuttering in all that time!

I plan to experiment further to ensure the results are consistent.

I must warn you, I ran into a monitor issue when I restarted after disabling all but the one sound device I needed. But then, I also got a new monitor, and learned that I didn't need to plug a cable each into the Motherboard and the GPU lol, not the way I had to with my ancient GL2440. So, I suppose, just exercise some caution there.

I wish you all lots of success with this method.

EDIT: Well, this time round it failed. Twice on EU, twice on NA, both times, around 40-odd mins, the perma-drop in fps returned.
    Edited by sentientomega on September 25, 2020 11:42AM
  • Pajor
    Pajor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else getting it where their FPS is normal for a while (30-60 mins), then it just plummets, and stays there? And every time you move, change camera position, there's obvious stuttering? And that this whole thing persists to the game menus (char select especially) when you log out of a character?

I have, and even with a new PC, I still do. I'm going through every addon I have to see if people are reporting symptoms similar to mine for any of them. It should just be the regular addons, though, not the libraries.

I do get slow menu ever since greymoor launched and stuttering when walking around ALL areas of the game. Ping is great, just severe fps loss and stuttering screen when walking around. But im not teleporting or anything. Only happened the same day greymoor came out, didnt have any of these problems before.

I can place my camera view on lets say ZMaja in cloudrest and fps is 95 and then I turn my screen to face a wall instead of facing zmaja and fps drops to 30-60 fps.
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    What basically happens is this: The game functions normally, then between 30-60 minutes later, sometimes over 60, but certainly not reaching 90, but what happens then is sudden and persistant fps drop, massive drop, accompanied by persistent stuttering.

When I log out of a character, in character select, that stuttering persists, because you can see it happen, especially when you try to spin a character. You can also see it in the main menu, that rolling text near the buttom stutters when you move the mouse when it moves.

I have tried playing with no addons, reinstalled addons and refreshed savedvariables files, refreshed usersettings, I've reinstalled the game twice now, tried it on a different PC with Windows 10 1909 (yeah, Windows 10 version makes no difference). All these attempts, and the fps perma-drop/stuttering still happens.

I have wondered whether it might be a Windowed Fullscreen thing, but I don't think so, because no other game gives me grief for playing Windowed Fullscreen the way ESO has, so I don't think it's that, either.

Whatever it is, it's not on my end.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you guys tried the "Intelligent Standby List Cleaner"? https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released

"The application will monitor and clear the memory standby list according to the configured options parameter you set.
    It should help users who have stutters in games when using windows 10 Creator update and higher version of windows."

You can set the Timer Resolution when the prog is in "stopped" mode, I have it at 0.5ms and my conditions ar set for 16GB mem, so it purges standby list mem when list size is at least 1024MB and free mem below 1024MB.

This along with SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.00000000", cap FPS in nVidia panel to 58 (my minitor does max 60FPS) and the audio driver disable thing, leaving only the main driver active, has made the game completely smooth for me. No stutter and frame rate drops to max i.e. 56-57, otherwise a stable 60FPS, my god, even in Cyrodiil 90% of the time.

GL!
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    My first question, what will that app destroy?

Before I do anything like that, I'm going to run one more test, this time with Fullscreen proper.
  • Gerwulf67
    Gerwulf67
    Soul Shriven
    NVIDA released a new driver update on 10/7. I applied it today and it solved the issue for me.
  • Nocturnal_red
    Nocturnal_red
    Soul Shriven
    It would be nice to understand if there is a similar fix from AMD, and in which version of the drivers it was implemented
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a new PC and having similar issues as the OP. Lowering graphics or removing addons has no impact. On my 9 year old PC I have 100 FPS in my house when standing still and with low enough settings...

In game I am locked to 63 FPS, if I close the game launcher I will get locked to 50 and if I turn on vSync I get locked to 60. I definitely have the latest nvidia driver as well as I just downloaded it today.

Setting "MinFrameTime.2 to 0.00000000" and limiting FPS via nvidia control panel does work and I can play comfortably at 80+ fps in ultra. It does feel like a dirty fix though.

Haven't played extensively yet so can't say anything about longterm performance.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is hard locking to never going past 32. No frame rate limiter is set to 32. No v-sync is on. No addons. This makes no sense.
    Edited by Red_Feather on October 23, 2020 11:55PM
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    To my understanding on this subject, the stutter is not from FPS dropping? I have the Framerate/Latency turned on, I can walk through Mournhold and the Latency is good but the FPS drop down to around 35 and the game stutters. When I go to another area outside of Mournhold it clears up. So I tested other areas such as Rulanyil`s Fall and still had some stutter. The thing is this, before the patch/update that we got on the 1/26/2021 I didin`t have a problem in the area. Sure the rubberband from firing skills/LA was happening before but now... I just want to let ESO/ZOS know whats going on. Thanks everyone.

Update: I remembered a posting about setting the CPU priority to above normal, so that`s what I did and the game is running much smoother.
    Edited by madman65 on January 28, 2021 8:33PM
  • Proteus1
    Proteus1
    ✭✭
    I'm posting this here because I believe this is now the de facto "fps issue" thread.

The game has had issues with performance degradation over time and memory leak-like issues for years now. It runs fine when you first start the application, but over the course of an hour or two, performance gets worse to the point of near unplayability. It's not just fps loss, it's frame pacing too. Even if you can maintain 50+ frames per second, it becomes an awful-performing stuttery mess.

For myself and many others with this problem (perhaps everyone with my specific problem), closing the application and restarting it fixes the issue immediately, without fail. The game's performance goes back to where it was when you first started playing initially. Just restarting the game takes me from 30-50 fps with terrible frame pacing back up to the smooth 100 fps I started playing with. That's telltale memory leak/ memory-related issue, from my layperson's experience.

I just want to be clear that this isn't normal frame drops that occur in an mmo while in crowded cities or big battles. That's totally expected. This performance loss issue can occur when you're out in the world alone, with virtually nothing going on on the screen. Normal frame rate drops due to player-dense areas don't also come with frame pacing issues and terrible stutters. When this game is running as it should, I can be doing a dolmen with 30+ players and the game remains buttery smooth, even if the fps decreases.

Running the repair tool on the launcher doesn't fix this problem, nor does lowering the graphics settings.

The fact that this issue has persisted as long as it has is super disappointing. You're now owned by Microsoft, a trillion-dollar valuation company, and the set of monetization methods for this game has grown to be extremely robust. The issue needs to be fixed. I've seen previous posts in which a ZOS employee acknowledged the memory leak issues (they said it was fixed in a previous patch) -- I hope they aren't now pretending it doesn't exist.

My gaming PC is under 3 months old, has no issues with any other software applications, and I use no add ons when playing Elder Scrolls Online. I don't have a bunch of applications running in the background and eating up RAM. When the game is running as it should, I can play on ultra at 5120x2160 and maintain near 100 fps everywhere but densely populated towns and battles. The problem isn't my rig (RTX 3080, i9-10850k, 32 GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz, 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD), and to reiterate, I'm not just whining that I can't always play at a perfect 100 fps. Normal performance dips in games are expected -- this issue isn't normal.
  • Penrutet
    Penrutet
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having some lag/stutter issues as well, pretty sure it started with the last patch 6.2.9. There's noticeable stuttering when entering combat with 2/3 or more enemies. Doesn't happen in dungeons, only in exterior worldspaces. Not sure if has anything to do with the update or the event going on...