The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crashing on Character Selection/Appearance Change Menus

Richard_Arisen
Richard_Arisen
✭✭✭
Hello. I'm not sure if this is the proper location to seek aid for this issue, but here goes:

I own 2 accounts and login across both servers daily for the login rewards (so at least 4 times per day, often more when it comes to taking breaks from the game, relogging due to errors, switching characters, etc.).

My main account, and the one this forum account is linked to, is @ Phoenix.Immortal, and I consider the EU server as my main server. It is the one where I have accrued the most playtime, the most character unlocks, and the most Crown Store purchases.

For quite a while (since either the Summerset or Elsweyr chapter, I believe), I have been experiencing occasional crashes on the character selection screen across all of my accounts/servers, where the game suddenly becomes unresponsive. This was rarely a significant hindrance, and more just a new but expected annoyance, as no game or software is without its hiccups.

Recently, however, since a few updates before Greymoor, this issue has become progressively worse, to the point of becoming nearly unbearable--but, strangely enough, only for my main account/server.

On every other account/server (my main account NA, my alt account EU, and my alt account NA), I have what feels like a 95% chance of making it through the character menu without crashing.

On my main account EU, however, it feels as though every 8 out of 10 login attempts result in a crash, causing me to have to spam click the screen until the "ESO has stopped responding" message appears, close out of that, cancel the report, etc.; and then, about a third of the time that I do manage to make it past character selection, I am faced with an infinite loading screen, causing me to have to tab out and close the game window and repeat the login process all over. It will even crash while I'm perusing my character settings via change tokens, and sometimes won't even wait for me to attempt a login before crashing--it will just stop responding as I'm scrolling through my list, or zooming in on a particular character, or even just idling on the menu. This happens with every character and regardless of their last in-game location.

Allow me to reiterate/clarify that this increased crashing issue is only affecting @ Phoenix.Immortal EU; @ Phoenix.Immortal NA, as well as my alt account on both servers, are still only experiencing those occasional, mildly inconvenient crashes.

It has gotten to the point where I legitimately dread logging in on my main account/server because of the absolute hassle it has become. I dread even more horribly having to switch characters, lest I crash while doing so, and have to go through that login process all over. As someone with the current max of 18 characters who enjoys playing on all of them, this is especially disheartening. I'm almost glad that I can't make any more, because I have a feeling that the crashes would affect that menu too, and I would just be a nervous wreck trying to make a new character with that looming threat. That may sound a bit overdramatic, but I'm trying to express just how frequent and impactful this issue really is.

So what I would like to know is this: Why is this happening? Is this an issue on my end, yours, or both? Why is it affecting only one account on only one server so severely? And, most importantly, how can this be resolved? I've been dealing with this issue for months, and I am, quite frankly, very tired of having to go through so much hassle just to play on the account/server I've invested the most money and time into.

Thank you, and my apologies for the length and tone of this post.
  • Richard_Arisen
    Richard_Arisen
    ✭✭✭
    As an addendum, I have just attempted by login cycle with all of my addons disabled, in case that was affecting anything. I did manage to make it through the whole cycle without issue, but things do go smoothly, sometimes.

After that, I rebooted my computer and logged straight into my main account on the EU server. I clicked around on several characters in the menu, and, right before I was about to try to log into one, it crashed. I closed out the game, tried logging in again on the same character, and it crashed while requesting character load. I then tried logging into the same character a third time, and it loaded me successfully into the game.

So I do not believe that my addons are having any impact on this issue. I am also not using MM in any capacity, which I know tends to be one of the more problematic addons.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Richard_Arisen

Thank you for the rundown of what you've tried so far to resolve this crashing. At this point we recommend opening a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post