The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Minor Brittle Isn't Working

Calypso589
Calypso589
✭✭✭
So last week (the 23rd) I was able to proc minor brittle on my warden tank from skills like wall of frost, gripping shards and permafrost. Worked fine.

This week..........none of that stuff is proccing brittle. None of it.

BUT........

On a random new max level PTS nightblade I made (also last week) I found that minor brittle is still proccing off things like the asylum staff or pulsar.

Really not sure what's going on here.
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to have an ice staff slotted and proc chilled
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calypso589 wrote: »
    So last week (the 23rd) I was able to proc minor brittle on my warden tank from skills like wall of frost, gripping shards and permafrost. Worked fine.

BUT........

On a random new max level PTS nightblade I made (also last week) I found that minor brittle is still proccing off things like the asylum staff or pulsar.

It is very buggy right now. They probably wanted to do some changes that massed up everything.

As far I could tell, many skills right now cannot proc the chill status effect and therefore cannot proc minor brittle(regardless to if you are using ice staff or not).

Doesn't apply chill ATM:
    -All the AOE dots/persisting skills (ulties included)
    -ice glyph + Wall of Elements
    -Warden skills like Frozen Gate
    -Frost staff heavy attack

Does apply chill
    ice glyph + LA/HA
    -Force Shock
    -Destructive Touch
    -Impulse
    Edited by Lughlongarm on September 30, 2020 1:22PM
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭

s59pbmos45gf.jpeg
  • JohnOfMarkarth
    JohnOfMarkarth
    ✭✭✭

We did not know. At all, thank you.
    I can't do this anymore. Every small ... petit change that went against any semblance of sense has snowballed into an avalanche of (Penn & Teller:) Bulls...!

Gods, bless me with patience.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BUT........

First week we can proc brittle from fire staves, second week, we can't proc chilled or brittle from ground aoe DoTs. Why is this so busted?
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    47f70b4c7cf009d1ba1df623e264a82c.gif
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BUT........

First week we can proc brittle from fire staves, second week, we can't proc chilled or brittle from ground aoe DoTs. Why is this so busted?

First time here eh?
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

BUT........

First time here eh?

Hahaha. No.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭

s59pbmos45gf.jpeg

I think he meant on the bar you are on. If you apply WoE on your back bar with a frost staff, then swap bar to the front with a flame, WoE wont proc minor brittle on that bar.
    You will need to double bar frost staves to get the benefits.
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭

s59pbmos45gf.jpeg

I think he meant on the bar you are on. If you apply WoE on your back bar with a frost staff, then swap bar to the front with a flame, WoE wont proc minor brittle on that bar.
    You will need to double bar frost staves to get the benefits.

That, actually wasn't true last week.

Easiest example was when I cast permafrost on my staff bar then swapped to sword/board. Brittle continued to be continuously applied.

The behavior last week was that the game snapshot what bar the skill was cast from and used that to determine if brittle should be applied. If the skills you were using to proc chilled were cast from a frost staff bar, then you were good.

I logged in last night to see if this behavior was still the case in week 2.

And now nothing procs it. lol
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm nothing procs brittle, trying to test a tank build :sob:
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

s59pbmos45gf.jpeg

Dude its not that obvious. There are trillion ways to proc chilled without having a frost staff slotted. Besides that dude doesent even know that light/heavy attacks cant proc status effects so its not to far away to even ask if he has a frost staff on his chilled bar.

We did not know. At all, thank you.

the simplest solution is often the best. Besides OP did mention not using a frost staff to proc chilled so its kinda obvious.

You guys need to Chill... (applies minor brittle to this thread)
    Edited by OlumoGarbag on October 5, 2020 11:57AM
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    Dude its not that obvious. There are trillion ways to proc chilled without having a frost staff slotted.
    @OlumoGarbag

Right. But I was talking about Brittle.
    Besides that dude doesent even know that light/heavy attacks cant proc status effects

Who mentioned light and heavy attacks?
    Besides OP did mention not using a frost staff to proc chilled so its kinda obvious.

No I didn't? O.0
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We really need confirmation for how minor brittle is working because I am getting brittle procs from backbar ice when I am on a front inferno
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Given that most tanks use a combination of 1H and Shield and staff, this seems like a bad design if it requires the frost staff to be the active staff.

I am certainly not going to like double barring frost staves if that is what is required...
    Playing since beta...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    Given that most tanks use a combination of 1H and Shield and staff, this seems like a bad design if it requires the frost staff to be the active staff.

I am certainly not going to like double barring frost staves if that is what is required...

Given that they mentioned it is to make frost damage more viable, I think they should start thinking about changing the buff so it won't force warden tanks in the meta run double frost.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    kojou wrote: »

Given that they mentioned it is to make frost damage more viable, I think they should start thinking about changing the buff so it won't force warden tanks in the meta run double frost.

I think it would be for the best to have a double frost staff magden be viable, given their themes and how we have been wanting frost staves to be viable for dps since the beginning of the game. They're not super far off either. If we can fix the few issues that remain with the staff, such as making brittle apply when zos said it should, and making unstable wall of frost better for dps, along with changing animal companions skills to deal frost damage i think frostden would be set. adding one more frost damage skill in winter's embrace such as AB4.0 would also help a crap ton for damage identity, chilled proc to groups and uniqueness that the warden class frankly lacks moreso than other classes given it only has 4 damage skills.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 6, 2020 8:24PM
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think frost front, fire back Magdens are going to be your Brittle conduit moving forward. Most mag DPS are in the dumpster anyway. I think we're steadily back to 4/4 comps, with a Magden and then whatever you want beyond that. Magcros maybe, dunno.
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    We really need confirmation for how minor brittle is working because I am getting brittle procs from backbar ice when I am on a front inferno

The behavior I saw during week 1 was that as long as chilled/brittle-causing frost DoTs were cast from a frost staff bar, the game would snapshot that fact & you could indeed proc brittle while on a different bar.

Gonna log in in a bit to see if this behavior is the same AND to see if DoTs that should be causing brittle are working again.

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As of PTS v6.2.2:
    I've copy pasted half of the list i made on the frost staff feedback thread.
    Known bugs and issues with the Frost Staff and Minor Brittle:
    • Frost AoEs no longer apply chilled and minor brittle: This has been fixed as of testing with unstable wall of frost, Winter's Revenge, Polar Wind and Arctic Blast.
      Proof:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0qboWs-GU&feature=youtu.be

• Being able to apply minor brittle while a frost staff is not actively equipped: This huge oversight has not been fixed, as of testing with a fire staff on the front bar, and chilled being applied from frost damage aoes from a frost staff backbar. the reason that this is being brought up is because it actively contradicts the sentiments expressed by the team about Minor Brittle, these being:
      Applying Chilled while actively holding a Frost Staff now applies Minor Brittle in addition to its other effects. Note that the Staff must be on your active bar when Chilled is applied for this to proc.
      This iteration going to live further devalues the usefulness of double frost staff DPS, as tanks can easily just apply chilled and brittle from their backbar. Frost DPS have been struggling to be relevant since the beginning of the game's public release. if this change is fixed, it would give more reason to run Frost DPS in trials especially in the future.

Proof:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nZB79jfTrw&feature=youtu.be

• Not being able to apply minor brittle with elemental weapon and asylum destro, with frozen watcher inconsistently applying minor brittle: these bugs/issues/oversights have not been fixed.
      Proof:
      https://youtu.be/ioJK0JMhdjM
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    As of PTS v6.2.2:
    • Frost AoEs no longer apply chilled and minor brittle: This has been fixed as of testing with unstable wall of frost, Winter's Revenge, Polar Wind and Arctic Blast.
      Proof:

• Being able to apply minor brittle while a frost staff is not actively equipped: This huge oversight has not been fixed, as of testing with a fire staff on the front bar, and chilled being applied from frost damage aoes from a frost staff backbar. the reason that this is being brought up is because it actively contradicts the sentiments expressed by the team about Minor Brittle, these being:
      Applying Chilled while actively holding a Frost Staff now applies Minor Brittle in addition to its other effects. Note that the Staff must be on your active bar when Chilled is applied for this to proc.
      This iteration going to live further devalues the usefulness of double frost staff DPS, as tanks can easily just apply chilled and brittle from their backbar. Frost DPS have been struggling to be relevant since the beginning of the game's public release. if this change is fixed, it would give more reason to run Frost DPS in trials especially in the future.

Proof:

• Not being able to apply minor brittle with elemental weapon and asylum destro, with frozen watcher inconsistently applying minor brittle: these bugs/issues/oversights have not been fixed.
      Proof:

Even if they arrange it so that you HAVE to remain on the frost staff bar, it's not going to make dual frost DPS a thing.

Brittle is a global debuff which means only one person needs to apply it for the entire raid to benefit. This means the job is going to go to a healer. Probably a warden using a frost staff and a shock staff.

The mention of making frost staves better for DPS in the pre-pts patch notes was definitely a typo. You'll notice they haven't referenced it as a source of DPS whatsoever since then.

Frost it seems is primarily intended to be a source of CC and control.....not damage.

I think frost front, fire back Magdens are going to be your Brittle conduit moving forward. Most mag DPS are in the dumpster anyway. I think we're steadily back to 4/4 comps, with a Magden and then whatever you want beyond that. Magcros maybe, dunno.

Nah.

As I mention above to another poster, the job of applying brittle is going to go to a single support because Brittle itself is a global debuff that benefits everyone in the group once it's applied. So only one person needs to do it.

As for Composition, so far there's no reason to think mag won't still be the preference for prog groups. They took a hit to their overall power, but raw DPS was never the sole reason they were preferred over stam to begin with.

They still have inherently higher health, more powerful self healing and stronger AoE to pair with their respectable single target damage.

Regardless of which composition type becomes the preference, you definitely won't see 4/4 groups. You will always get better results optimizing around a single type (stam vs mag).
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As of PTS v6.2.2:
      Proof:

Proof:

Proof:

Even if they arrange it so that you HAVE to remain on the frost staff bar, it's not going to make dual frost DPS a thing.

Brittle is a global debuff which means only one person needs to apply it for the entire raid to benefit. This means the job is going to go to a healer. Probably a warden using a frost staff and a shock staff.

The mention of making frost staves better for DPS in the pre-pts patch notes was definitely a typo. You'll notice they haven't referenced it as a source of DPS whatsoever since then.

Frost it seems is primarily intended to be a source of CC and control.....not damage.

Making it apply when zos said it should doesn't automatically make dual frost dps "a thing" what it does do is incentivise it. I mean, we are closer than ever to frost DPS being a thing. if we make it so that a frostden does roughly the same dps as normal magden. it'll just be easier to run one of them, and we are decently close to that goal.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 7, 2020 5:25AM
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    As of PTS v6.2.2:
      Proof:

Proof:

Proof:

Making it apply when zos said it should doesn't automatically make dual frost dps "a thing" what it does do is incentivise it. I mean, we are closer than ever to frost DPS being a thing. if we make it so that a frostden does roughly the same dps as normal magden. it'll just be easier to run one of them, and we are decently close to that goal.

I don't really see the point.

The outcome of what you're suggesting is that one group has a dedicated Frostden and then noone else runs one.

Per your goal of frost DPS being viable for serious endgame, that's lame.

Instead of focusing so much on Brittle, focus instead on Ancient Knowledge and Piercing Cold.

There's many factors that contribute to the reason why Flame Staves, at present, will always outperform Frost or Lightning but those two passives and the differences between them are the key.

• ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As of PTS v6.2.2:
      Proof:

Proof:

Proof:

I don't really see the point.

The outcome of what you're suggesting is that one group has a dedicated Frostden and then noone else runs one.

Per your goal of frost DPS being viable for serious endgame, that's lame.

Instead of focusing so much on Brittle, focus instead on Ancient Knowledge and Piercing Cold.

There's many factors that contribute to the reason why Flame Staves, at present, will always outperform Frost or Lightning but those two passives and the differences between them are the key.

we did focus on those things and it seems like you don't know the history of what we have been doing. But, zos kept the tanking idea while tying the desired dps effect to chilled instead, so while it's not that great that only one person could run them as a dps weapon, it's still better than no-one running it as one because it's just a *** joke. I feel like getting to the place where one frostden is run, is a good ledge to sit on until we can pressure zos to actually make a tanking staff, and so that frost can be repurposed to actually be for damage for more classes than just warden. you make it seem like the only reason to run the frost staff will be for brittle, and that's not what i think should happen, it also doesn't seem like what zos wanted to achieve either. because they tried to add "good" tanking effects to blockade and impulse, but just ended up failing in that regard. Frost dps only need a few more changes to have both good dps in trials, and great chilled uptime in groups, and i think that should be frostden's main claim to fame, being the best chilled applicant in regards to uptime and not needing to drop anything major in order to run it.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on October 7, 2020 7:41AM