The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Pretentious and boring (elite) PvP guilds

mrwizardguy
So I am in one of the (supposedly) top pvp guilds on ps4, which I will not name. I joined through a friend connection. The guild consists of undoubtedly experienced players. They are GOOD players. The problem is playing with them can be extremely f*n boring half the time. Like i’d literally rather do anything than PvP with them the way they play.

Here’s what we do on a typical PvP night.

1.) Get into a group of 4-5 players. Because more than 5 is “too zergy” and “no we can’t invite randoms because they’re trash”

2.) Go into a campaign such as blackreach while it’s being dominated by the opposing faction.

3.) Ride for 30 minutes deep into enemy lines.

4.) get absolutely trampled by a zerg.

5.) Complain complain complain.. “This campaign is too zergy, lets try IC”

6.) run around a completely DEAD IC for 45 minutes talking in chat about how the game is dying and that they want group bg’s back.

7.) rage quit

8.) On a bonus night we’ll watch two 60k HP tanks of opposing factions duel each other for 45 minutes then talk trash for an hour while we stand there doing nothing.

Wow that was fun! *sarcasm* Anyways I think they are stuck in the past when group BG’s existed. It’s like they simply cannot accept that zergs exist in the game and would really rather not PvP at all because of them.

Update: It seems our guild finally came to their senses and started inviting more players to the group. 8-10 players seems to be a sweet spot because we can at least take on full groups with a challenge. We had some great battles this week.
Edited by mrwizardguy on August 25, 2020 5:38PM
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like it, quit. It's as simple as that. Take me for instance, I PvP just by myself most of the time and have more fun doing that.

1. find a zerg to bother
    2. find a position between the zerg and his keep
    3. wait for stragglers and kill them
    4. hide from the zerg who comes looking for you
    5. repeat steps 2-4
    6. log off happy

:)
    TherealHämähäkki
  • Sylphie
    Sylphie
    ✭✭✭
    lmao, the list is so relatable.

Number 9 should be: play something else while saying how bad the game is on an ESO discord.
    Edited by Sylphie on August 17, 2020 9:30AM
    @Curie
    Làin - MagDK
    1vX and outnumbered pvp compliations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gPPFOdjYCuyuuog7QcjJg
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I am in one of the (supposedly) top pvp guilds on ps4, which I will not name. I joined through a friend connection. The guild consists of undoubtedly experienced players. They are GOOD players. The problem is playing with them can be extremely f*n boring half the time. Like i’d literally rather do anything than PvP with them the way they play.

Here’s what we do on a typical PvP night.

1.) Get into a group of 4-5 players. Because more than 5 is “too zergy” and “no we can’t invite randoms because they’re trash”

2.) Go into a campaign such as blackreach while it’s being dominated by the opposing faction.

3.) Ride for 30 minutes deep into enemy lines.

4.) get absolutely trampled by a zerg.

5.) Complain complain complain.. “This campaign is too zergy, lets try IC”

6.) run around a completely DEAD IC for 45 minutes talking in chat about how the game is dying and that they want group bg’s back.

7.) rage quit

8.) On a bonus night we’ll watch two 60k HP tanks of opposing factions duel each other for 45 minutes then talk trash for an hour while we stand there doing nothing.

Wow that was fun! *sarcasm* Anyways I think they are stuck in the past when group BG’s existed. It’s like they simply cannot accept that zergs exist in the game and would really rather not PvP at all because of them.

Maybe it's just the PS4 effect but that definitely isn't what a top pvp guild should be doing lol as a competent 4-5m you should definitely be able to fight zergs if you pick your fights well with good kiting areas and chokes. (note: we run 8-12 normally because we want to be able to take fights in more areas such as keeps etc vs factions where there's a static objective)

Sounds like you're just in a bad guild tbh
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds you are in a Duelling guild. I think that's ok if you want that.

Your typical group size is the problem here. Duellist type players thrive with 1-3 players, but most suck at more that 4-5, because their builds are not made for AoE damage against REAL opposition. They just say "too zergy" because they are unwilling to switch their class or class setup accordingly.

Here's a potential compromise (though I doubt you will be able to get it through):

StamWardens are perfect for the group size you mentioned, being possibly the strongest class in a group from 3 to 8 while not being helpless solo even when specced for the group.

Build a group around

3 StamWardens (Bone Shield)
    1 MagNecro (Grave Yard, Purge)
    1 MagDK (Orbs, Talons, Buffs, Rapid)

and all of you wear harmony as a jewelry trait.

All classes also use proximity detonation, even the stamina ones.
    Necro and DK are support players; DK rapids and Necro purges.

Now you have enough firepower to overwhelm zergs 3times your size without breaking a sweat, because:

a) Proxy damage -> roughly 20k burst damage
    b) SubAssault damage -> roughly 15k damage
    c) Synergy damage -> more than 25k without ANY Ultimate.

All three burst damage sources should be coordinated so that they all happen within 1-3 seconds. Everyone should heal, PARTICULARLY the Wardens. Since you are too quick for the pug zergs you can pull them to chokepoints, or outmanoeuvre them and destroy them piecemeal.

Edited by Thraben on August 17, 2020 1:37PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just leave the guild?
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just play proper solo or small scale PvP?
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let me guess OP you play DC?
  • mrwizardguy
    If you don't like it, quit. It's as simple as that. Take me for instance, I PvP just by myself most of the time and have more fun doing that.

1. find a zerg to bother
    2. find a position between the zerg and his keep
    3. wait for stragglers and kill them
    4. hide from the zerg who comes looking for you
    5. repeat steps 2-4
    6. log off happy

:)

Dude exactly. THIS is how I like to play. Pick your battles. But the problem is the guild’s obsession with winning “1vX” battles to prove some kind of point.

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo id my favorite .
  • DjinnAeternam
    DjinnAeternam
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but that sounds like just a boring pvp guild.

Even with 5 you should be able to be more effective than what you describe.
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't join a PvP guild as most of the muppets will be on my ignor list.

Just solo, then when it goes *** up you only have yourself (myself normally) to blame, its much less stress.

Be Safe
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave if it isn't your thing. ...a few comments......I understand not wanting to be in bigger groups or play with randoms.....anxiety and lack of desire to be in a loud chat play a big role with that....get your mount speed up 30 minutes ffs? (joking i get that you were using hyperbole) I imagine you are either AD or EP if you are going into blackreach (which is just server zerged by dc against minimal pop of other alliances) ...and the dc will zerg you on your home resources in there..its rough I get it... pvp is in a weird place rn....some people are holding on to old versions of cyro that just don't exist anymore...it's weird..but it is what it is.....
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • TheAlphaRaider
    TheAlphaRaider
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have a guild that just needs some life. What I tell people is this: groups of 8 or less is ideal for legit pvp. Its also about the mentality of the guild. IF you are a zerg guild what usually happens is you pve around the pvp map, just steam rolling over random solos and small groups. Most zerg guilds refuse to confront or actively seek out the fight, they play for the keeps and the resources or flags. or molag in ic. A zerg isn't a number its a mentality. A ball zerg is just a zerg in comms with heals.

I think randoms are great - its the best way I have recruited people for our pvp guild. Either find a random from cyro or from guild traders and get them in my small group pvp guild discord to do a personality test. Its about how compatible they are with the small group mentality and or how annoying they are and can they play with others in a coordinated manner and accept mentorship.

I, by no means am a pvp pro, but everyone in the guild has different levels and can mentor others to an extent and share ideas. ZERG guilds don't do this. Its log in on Friday night, get in comms and slot rapid regen and wait for my orders.

Just a few side notes:

Zergs are broken but can be broken - get your mag bombers out and teach them a lesson. If we get zerged down too many times - we go hunting. 3-4 bombers with a gank option.

1 v x is not the premier pvp experience. It's super tough and super skilled but pretty much amounts to being a kitey magician. Hat off to 1vxers but still not the core experience.

If Cyrodiil is dead, bgs is boring, go duel and get better or hit the dummy to practice ani cancel and combo, and if the game isn't fun. Log off.

Totally think this game needs to step up on the Arena PVP aspect.

Totally think CC immunity is a myth.

Totally think the Cyrodiil Tests were pointless since no one is playing Cyrodiil.

• SRASinister
    SRASinister
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah as others said that doesn't sound like a top pvp guild. Instead it sounds like a guild of 1vx'ers with egos that don't know how to pick fights. Top pvp guilds sad to say are ballgroup guilds.
    Xbox One NA: Sins of Daemons
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah as others said that doesn't sound like a top pvp guild. Instead it sounds like a guild of 1vx'ers with egos that don't know how to pick fights. Top pvp guilds sad to say are ballgroup guilds.

I disagree with that. Ballgroups tend to have 4 -5 in the core group and about 10 that come and go. Those 4-5 can play the build they want and the rest need to play the build the core group wants them to play. That's why you will see a ball group running for a month or so then they go away for a month or so. The 10 filler spots get tired of "follow the crown" game play pushing the button told to push.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is such a thing as playing solo, even though cyrodil dynamics and the direction zos has pushed with combat changes over the years drastically sides with grouping with more and more players.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

I disagree with that. Ballgroups tend to have 4 -5 in the core group and about 10 that come and go. Those 4-5 can play the build they want and the rest need to play the build the core group wants them to play. That's why you will see a ball group running for a month or so then they go away for a month or so. The 10 filler spots get tired of "follow the crown" game play pushing the button told to push.

I would be interested which ball groups you think run like this.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know I've joined a few guilds latley all they do is take empty keeps and actively avoid fighting large groups of players even when the guild is rolling 24+ man deep it's sad.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested which ball groups you think run like this.

I've been in several PvP guilds, and the ones that claim to be end game, all run like that.
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add a few more players and blob blob blob blob.
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what groups you are talking about? I am / have been in a number of ballgroups (see my signature), and all of them
    - have only members who run regularly in raid (generally 2+ times / week), as well as occasionally trialers, and guests only exceptionally, there for sure are no 'filler spots' (lol, what an idea)
    - everyone plays the build that they want to: everyone wants to play the group builds that are minmaxed to function together! One of the funnest things about being in a ball group is theorycrafting the composition together
    - all the groups that I am / have been in are running / have run for many years regularly without interruption (except possibly some holidays)
    - the players are not 'following the crown' in the way you seem to imply: rather the crown makes decisions on tactics, and each player is expected to understand exactly how their role needs to be played in order for the group to execute those tactics, and constantly makes split second decisions on their own gameplay

- > all of which is why this playstyle is endlessly fascinating and fun (if you like team play in a tight knit and competitive team)
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is basically the defintion of a semi- casual PvP group, but one who's been doing it wrong:

It might sound cheesy and old- fashioned, but a good raid leader will always pick a class and class setup that the group needs, not what he himself desires.

Likewise, a working semi- casual group has a core of players who play optimized builds, and it can thus afford to carry those "guests" with their (mostly useless) individual builds.

What you describe is a receipt for catastrophe, and these groups will consistently underperform. No wonder why you left them. But don't confuse them with real PvP guilds.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MipMip wrote: »

I wonder what groups you are talking about? I am / have been in a number of ballgroups (see my signature), and all of them
    - have only members who run regularly in raid (generally 2+ times / week), as well as occasionally trialers, and guests only exceptionally, there for sure are no 'filler spots' (lol, what an idea)
    - everyone plays the build that they want to: everyone wants to play the group builds that are minmaxed to function together! One of the funnest things about being in a ball group is theorycrafting the composition together
    - all the groups that I am / have been in are running / have run for many years regularly without interruption (except possibly some holidays)
    - the players are not 'following the crown' in the way you seem to imply: rather the crown makes decisions on tactics, and each player is expected to understand exactly how their role needs to be played in order for the group to execute those tactics, and constantly makes split second decisions on their own gameplay

- > all of which is why this playstyle is endlessly fascinating and fun (if you like team play in a tight knit and competitive team)

It is very possible our personal definition of "ballgroup" may vary. The elitist groups of any play style tend to have a core group that stays, and a rotating door for the people they look down on yet can't complete any content without.
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't have said it better myself Mipp :D
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • BraidasNM
    BraidasNM
    ✭✭✭✭

It is very possible our personal definition of "ballgroup" may vary. The elitist groups of any play style tend to have a core group that stays, and a rotating door for the people they look down on yet can't complete any content without.

What are you talking about lmao. This just sounds like a personal issue you had with a certain guild
    Edited by BraidasNM on October 6, 2020 11:16AM
    Youtube

"I like to think of myself as the good cop and braidas as the bad cop. Hes the little devil on DC's shoulder, im the angel" -Subtomik