Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Have you ever just gone for a long walk and <insert ZOMG experience here>

kijima
kijima
✭✭✭✭✭
Last night I decided to go for a long walk and see how far I could get before turning into a pile of meat and bonemeal, all in the name of exploration of course!

It's at this point I'd like to say, 'Thankyou Zenimax for providing me with such a beautiful, and rich textured place to explore!' Seriously, some of the scenery is jaw droppingly beautiful, I'm running on ultra with everything turned on. ;)

This is just my opinion of someone from AD and while I've loved every part of the roost, when I got to Auridon I was so impressed I thought, yes I'm making this my new home. Of course now, Grahtwood is where it's at, and it's from here that my journey begins.

I was in Grahtwood, on questlines out to the far west of the map, and I thought to myself, 'hey, why don't I just go for a walk, for a little while' , so I did, and then I stumbled into Greenshade and I was in awe. Another beautiful place, with subtle changes in the architecture compared Auridon and stark comparison to the enormous tree houses of Grahtwood that I've waited oh so long to see.

Greenshade, really is beautiful but there is something not right about that place, politically I mean, you can just smell trouble in the air. I can't wait to be questing there when I finish of Grahtwood. While I was taking in all the scenery I thought to myself, 'Hrm, if I keep to the shadows, avoid nasties, stay on the main road when there isn't any clear and present danger, I could really see the world, maybe even get to Cyrodil this way by looking at that map'

So through Greenshade I went, pushing on and making sure I didn't bump into any unfriendlies, nearly died on more than a few occasions but just got through by the skin of my teeth every time. Greenshade is going to be a lot of fun to explore in the future me thinks, BUT NOT AS FUN as Malabal Tor will be !!!

OMG OMG OMG Malabal Tor! It's nothing short of stunning. It's so alien compared to all the other places I'd travelled to thus far, and did I say it's got Mammoths! So glad to see Mammoths again, although I did take a wide birth to them, and let me just say this, Malabal Tor is NO place for a level 23 anything! Surprisingly, I went north mainly following the road and stayed out of trouble, lots of sneaking involved and I was very careful of my every move. I finally got down to the beach after I fell off a cliff, luckily I skidded down the face rather than plummet to my death, and it's there that I took on a level 35 mudcrab, I've never had so much satisfaction fighting and killing a mudcrab.

I walked along the beach thinking to myself, what an immersive world this has become for me, it was at this point, because I wasn't really looking where I was going, I couldn't see much ahead so I wasn't paying as much attention and I walked right into a group of three mudcrabs. It's there, on that beach that I died by the hand...errr, claw of a mudcrab! At that point I decided my long walk was finished and I took the next wayshrine back home to Grahtwood.

It's a shame I didn't get over to reapers march, and then onto cyrodil but then I had to remind myself I was killed by mudcrabs, so I have no place being at reapers march. Maybe it'll be my next destination.

So, this part of my 'novel' is the question part. If you've read all of this, and I commend you if you have, what was your experience with Traveling? If you've read mine, I will read yours and to be honest I'd love to hear it.

One last thing, and it's advice for those that are frantically busy doing quests, take the time out of questing to travel around, it'll help with levelling too if you are worried about that. My one piece of advice is Travel! You won't regret it!
Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
Kijima - AD DK Derps
Annure - AD NB Derps
Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I walked through the Rift and into Eastmarch on my level 13 nightblade. I even managed to complete a few quests there (with a little help from strangers) - but then I got to a boss and thought the better of it.
    I just had to walk through the old "invisible wall" between the Rift and Stonefalls.
    Edited by Melian on April 9, 2014 1:14AM
  • Amiya
    Amiya
    Every time I play I try to spend part of my time just going "Where haven't I been yet?" and running in that direction, I generally don't look at the map just go "ooohhh what's that?" and run over every hill to see what lies beyond. It's a good time for gathering resources, getting into trouble, and sometimes finding a nice fat treasure chest.
  • Vorpedagel
    Vorpedagel
    ✭✭✭
    Great story and sounds like a bit of an adventure.

I remember when I was level 7 and I decided to take a little adventure myself (Ebonheart pact) and somehow I ended up in Deshaan. I have to say if you just sit back in this game and take a little stroll past your comfort zone ( with a bit of sneaking past mobs) this game is truly beautiful.

You're so captivated by the landscape until you realise that your being chased by a bandit twice your level and your using practically everything at your disposal just to stay alive. And dam they chase you for a long time. It's like running from your girlfriend when you get home from the pub at 2am when you said you'd be home by 10.

And more often than not you think this is it all is lost, I'm done for... Some brave adventurer appears as if from nowhere and just smites the hell out of that mob and jogs off as if it was nothing.. You send them a quick "Ty friend!" In /say chat, but often they're off on their mission, probably to save another exploring adventure no doubt.

So I was trekking through Deshaan and I thought it would be a good idea to see if I could make it to mournhold... And after probably an hour of sneaking I ended up jumping off of a cliff into water on low health, hoping that would secure my escape from a mob, but the water was shallow and I would have no doubt smashed both my legs and drowned face first in the warm shallow waters that had just come cascading over a waterfall.

It was actually a really nice sight apart from the fact that I'd been slain by gravity.

But all in all, can't say I've actually enjoyed exploring as much as I have in this game compared to any other game, 10/10.

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My standard phrase when I'm playing ESO is "Ooh, what's that?" As in, "Ooh, what's that. A dungeon! Ooh, what's that? A chest! Ooh, what's that, an awesome view!"

The other day, I was wandering through the Morrowind ashlands. I stumbled into the remains of a bandit raid (you could tell by the arrows sticking out of the skeletons), a friendly village of Argonians, a haunted plantation, and copious jaw-dropping views of lava flows pouring from the volcanos. I could sit and watch the lava for hours, and practically feel the heat coming off the flows, even at distance.

Most people think the Ashlands is nothing but a barren, ashy wasteland. But, to me, it's beautiful, and I am proud to call it home.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Evekial
    Evekial
    ✭✭
    Everything you guys have said is exactly why I got this game, and what I miss from my old MMO game.
    Questing for me is a nightmare because every time I wander out to do a quest....hmmm...where does that path go?....what's over that hill there?....ooh an abandoned cave let's go see......oh crap he's a bit bigger than me..arrgghhhh.
    I love the exploration in this game, so many times I'm off an a tangent, so takes me ages to do quests lol.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I typically say "let's play an hour, let's do just that mission in the dungeon" and 3 hours later I am on the other side of the zone and haven't even seen yet the darn dungeon ;p
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    I must confess... I really, really enjoy listening to people geek out over a game this hard. It really gets me pumped up. For now, I am off to work happily contented by the fact that later today I will be playing ESO and sharing the experience.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    For now, I am off to work happily contented by the fact that later today I will be playing ESO and sharing the experience.
    Yep, 1.5 hours to go and my work for today is done.
    I've taken quite a lot of screenshots but my favourite one is of Bleakrock Isle, even though I'm not playing DC. Not sure whether it was luck or a good quality graphical draw (probably both) but it is now my permanent desktop. There's a defninitely a few sights to behold in the beautiful world of Tamriel :)

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the only way to play, IMO. Don't just go where your journal is telling you, get out there and see the world.
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    Ri'Dariit walked yesterday all around Auridon coast to find treasure. This one had a grand time with mudcrabs and pirates. Sometimes this one had to sneak past big bats. Khajiit found M'aiq the liar and then a crocodile tried to eat Ri'Dariit, but didn't succeed. After walking almost 90% around the complete island, this one finally found the treasure. Ironic part is, this one could have found it by walking two minutes counter-clockwise instead of taking scenic 4 hour shortcut. Still, it was fun and pretty, the gods graced me with no rain. Khajiit hates wet fur.
    Edited by Ri_Dariit on April 11, 2014 4:39AM
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't randomly walk a lot, I'm more of a "find every nook and cranny in my current location" kind of person.
  • mark.markandb16_ESO
    It reminds me back in early EQ2 days when I had high level crafters but no high level toons to collect materials. I had to go into areas to collect materials where I would be one shotted by any mob that came near me. I found this to be such good fun I named the sport "Extreme Harvesting".

But back on track...the scenery is wonderful in this game it is fun just to wander off with no real goal ...just to see what you may come across.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it nigh on impossible to simply go-there-do-that. It's always 'what's over that rise?' and 'oh, I've never been there! '. And that's just the vistas! With side quests literally everywhere and the overwhelming numbers of nook and crannies to be plumbed... an hour quickly turns into 'I only need 4 hours of sleep, really '.

This is -exactly- the kind of full-world immersion I wanted from this game and, to be perfectly honest, it's even more stunningly beautiful than I had hoped. From the stark austerity of Ashlands to the verdant lushness of Auridon, the barren Stros M'kai and beaucolic Daggerfall... everywhere has its own feel, its own look and every time I climb a boulder or come to a cliff, I take a few moments to look around at the sheer beauty of it all.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have wandered off enjoying the view. Got my self killed a couple times in Cryodiil not PVPing but wandering arund and going ooh whats over here?

I was awestruck by the geysers in Stonefalls. here I was standing near some muddy yellow sulfer pools when suddenly I hear a rumbling next to me and spin around to see water jetting up into the sky. I had to back off and get screenshots of them.
  • powderdtoastman
    powderdtoastman
    Soul Shriven
    Amen all, This happens to me every time I log in, this MMO should not be treated like most for the "Elitists" out there, it should be savored like a fine wine and sipped slow and let the tastes dance on your pallet....

:)
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    I must confess... I really, really enjoy listening to people geek out over a game this hard. It really gets me pumped up. For now, I am off to work happily contented by the fact that later today I will be playing ESO and sharing the experience.
    ^This, times ten. I don't care how many gripes people have, and of course I have some myself; thanks ZoS for making this for us. It's just awesome, and I mean that in the literal sense.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Hirion wrote: »
    I've taken quite a lot of screenshots but my favourite one is of Bleakrock Isle, even though I'm not playing DC. Not sure whether it was luck or a good quality graphical draw (probably both) but it is now my permanent desktop. There's a defninitely a few sights to behold in the beautiful world of Tamriel :)

ROFL. I just did this, and when I closed the window, it was so beautiful and so real, that I actually pressed W to try to walk around in it. :o
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Vilified
    Vilified
    ✭✭
    This game amazes me when I get lost off the main path, I love finding camps and little ponds. I'm the type of player who deposits all my materials into bank and sets off to do one quest but ends up walking off because I spotted a jute node and then hours later I still haven't completed that quest.
    Ayita of the Dominion
  • JosiePosie
    Truly beautiful game! I love the incentive of hidden treasure and other fun discoveries. I have even encountered a couple of NPCs with clever anecdotes.
    knock, knock
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything in this thread.

The world that I've seen so far is stunning. Jaw dropping. Immersive.
    I set off to find something...and get lost. Not because I don't know to use the compass and waypoint setter....I see something that draws me over to investigate.

Kudos, development team. It's worth the bugs and farmers and gold sellers to be able to experience this world you've made for us.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to go into areas to collect materials where I would be one shotted by any mob that came near me. I found this to be such good fun I named the sport "Extreme Harvesting".

Lol!
    Azzuria wrote: »
    I find it nigh on impossible to simply go-there-do-that. It's always 'what's over that rise?' and 'oh, I've never been there! '. And that's just the vistas! With side quests literally everywhere and the overwhelming numbers of nook and crannies to be plumbed... an hour quickly turns into 'I only need 4 hours of sleep, really '.

This is -exactly- the kind of full-world immersion I wanted from this game and, to be perfectly honest, it's even more stunningly beautiful than I had hoped. From the stark austerity of Ashlands to the verdant lushness of Auridon, the barren Stros M'kai and beaucolic Daggerfall... everywhere has its own feel, its own look and every time I climb a boulder or come to a cliff, I take a few moments to look around at the sheer beauty of it all.

Agreed, glad I'm not the only one.
    The world that I've seen so far is stunning. Jaw dropping. Immersive.
    I set off to find something...and get lost. Not because I don't know to use the compass and waypoint setter....I see something that draws me over to investigate.

I find that is my problem, not that I see it as a problem, just a case of things are always going to take longer than I thought. I've actually had to get tough on myself with game time as it's eating into to many other things now, hours can literally slip through my fingers so easily. 1 or 2 hours that I've set aside turns into 4 or 5 and I'm not getting my usual amount of sleep now.

When I think about it, when I sit through a movie, and I'm talking a good movie for 2 hours It feels every bit of the two hours when the movie finishes, this game though, 2 hours means I'm only just getting warmed up. How does that work?

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Basil_oz
    Basil_oz
    ✭✭✭
    Vilified wrote: »
    This game amazes me when I get lost off the main path, I love finding camps and little ponds. I'm the type of player who deposits all my materials into bank and sets off to do one quest but ends up walking off because I spotted a jute node and then hours later I still haven't completed that quest.

My god! You have been looking over my shoulder and watching my gameplay!

And then, after an hour or so, you have to look at the Journal to remind yourself what you actually walked out of town to do (but realise that your bag is full and you need to head back to the bank and the sellers again)!
    NA Mega-server
    Basilthwaite - male Nord Templar Ebonheart Pact (unwittingly looks like Hulk Hogan. Trying to find some bright gold breeches to match the persona.)

Arwen Basilrond - female Wood Elf Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion (this character is smoken', but she's been advised to quite due to 'elf reasons!)

Sir Basil Ozarian - male Imperial Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant (this character is titled, but not entitled!)
  • Firestar_
    Firestar_
    ✭✭✭
    th_scenery2cropped.png
    This is my desktop. I got it in the beta when there were no NPCs in the town.
    The lighting and textures in this game really are something to be savored. Though much like IRL, I'm too busy enjoying it and often forget to take pictures.

"Hidden things" are my favorite things to find. There's a thread around here somewhere detailing some of these little things like a note to someone's sister telling them to be careful when mining and later on, you find part of a skeleton under a rock.

It's one thing to just be blazing through missions, but it's another to have these little rewards for players like us who like to stop and smell the roses.

Speaking of missions, I'm also enjoying much of the writing as well. Have not had this much fun doing quests since AOC.
    Firestar - Imperial Templar - Ebonheart Pact
    Reasons-For-War - Argonian Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact
    Pearl Winterstone - Orc Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact
    Jerro - Dunmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn all of you in this thread, you've made me try wandering around and I am enjoying it. Now I'm getting even less done than I did before.
  • RubyTigress
    RubyTigress
    ✭✭✭
    I love exploring in any game. This one rewards it spectacularly.
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    I am the one you will come across trying to do silly emotes to the various wildlife. I wish we could feed and pet the deer.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willow wrote: »
    I am the one you will come across trying to do silly emotes to the various wildlife. I wish we could feed and pet the deer.

It's fun to try to get /leanside to line up perfectly against a random animal.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, exploration is definitely half the fun in Elder Scrolls. Personally I haven't gone out of my current zone for exploration, I enjoy getting to see every nook and cranny each zone has to offer. It also helps me ensure every zone is complete as best as possible before I leave for the next. I just finished Deshaan 100% and I can't remember the name of the zone just below it on the map but that's where I'm headed next. I still like Bleakrock Island the best, even if it was a small zone. There were lots of neat little places that you didn't get to see if you just followed the quests. Definitely worth the exploring. Stonefalls was a little too barren for me but it was still cool in its own way. Deshaan was definitely more lush, but the plant life was pretty crazy. I think I'm just more into snowy terrains, but everything so far has been fun to explore.

Also it was fun finally get past that invisible wall in Stonefalls to the Rift as someone said :smiley: I didn't explore any of the Rift, simply crossed over was good enough for me :smile:
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    And if you have some points in Keen Eye any trip becomes like an easter-egg hunt. I'm gathering herbs and flowers, runes, plants for clothier, and more.

I end up skipping from harvesting one thing to plucking another to picking at some ore and then I look up and am "Oooooo, look where I am now, so pretty!!!", stop admire the view for a while, spy a chest in the distance, and scamper over to get the goodies.

Along the way I might run into some people in need of help, and file away their requests for another day when I'm feeling more adventurous, then I repeat the whole cycle.

Hours and hours have been lost this way, and I'm loving it. :-D
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing a bigger number of low level players (sub 10) in places like Reapers March these days.

Love it!

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps