Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The spammers have won

• spyritwind
    It's pretty bad. In fact I'm not sure I've experienced worse gold spam. If you want to keep up with guild chat it's pretty hard. I'm not an IT person so it baffles me why they can't track down the account that posted and perma ban it. Maybe that doesn't solve the problem either. It sounds like a start though.
  • Applemoth
    Applemoth
    ✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Gold spamming must be nipped in the bud, never seeing the light of day. Once it shows up, it's all downhill and a losing game of cleanup that never really cleans up anything. Reporting is worthless. Banning is worthless. Choking them off before they can type a single character is the only thing that works. Zenimax desperately needs to get to this stage, period. Then the hackers get no spam out there, they get no "buyers" so there are no new credit cards or identities to steal.

I don't disagree that the spam should be choked off, but I think you're being optimistic here. Anyone determined (and stupid) enough to buy gold will still be able to find out where to do it, even if there is no spam in the game. The only way to actually stop them would be to take down their websites (which would be difficult).

It actually surprises me that they bother spamming in-game at all. Their whole business depends on them looking at least vaguely like trustworthy companies. The spam you see in-game makes them look as shady as they are, and also makes them almost universally despised by the players. If anything, I would expect it to hurt their business, but I suppose the fact that there are so many of them must prove me wrong.
  • Syzmicke
    Syzmicke
    ✭✭✭
    All it needs is for someone at ZOS to log in once or twice an hour in all the starter town and swing the huge ban hammer to the spammers no warnings just out and out ban the accounts.

Hell if they would give me the tools to do it i would do it for free.
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO
    Get out of the starting zones and you wont have to complain about them ever again. No gold spammers in Veteran zones or even in maps after level 30.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
  • Vehadrah
    Vehadrah
    ✭✭
    I do believe the main priority is getting the base game running smoothly then deal with the gold spammers. To be honest they are making money from them by banning the accounts and the spammers in turn creating new ones and having to buy the game again lol
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syzmicke wrote: »
    All it needs is for someone at ZOS to log in once or twice an hour in all the starter town and swing the huge ban hammer to the spammers no warnings just out and out ban the accounts.

Hell if they would give me the tools to do it i would do it for free.

Make it a repeatable daily quest: Flag 0/5 Gold Spammers.
    Been there, got the Molag Bal polymorph.