The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Problem with Grim Focus

Rureczka
Rureczka
Soul Shriven
Why is there an about 0.2s interval between light attack and ability's proc? It's highly annoying when you do a 5th light attack and instead of firing the ability you refresh its duration.
I know it could be resolved as it's not the case with Bound Armaments. When you do a 4th light attack with BA, it procs in an instant and you're free to fire it at its full strength. So why not fix the Grim Focus? Why hasn't it been adressed already? I've found a topic on that from Jan 2018, so it's a well-known case:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/389130/we-need-a-fix-for-relentless-focus-merciless-resolve-and-light-attacks
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is true, I will be important to fix it. I dont have any nb but I would got annoyed if my arnaments would malfunction.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is true, I will be important to fix it. I dont have any nb but I would got annoyed if my arnaments would malfunction.

It is true, I did a dummy parse yesterday and can confirm that the issue is still there.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yea i also don;t get it. It's highly annoying. 200 ms is not much, but when you get the rotation down sometimes you can still reapply the buff instead of firing the bow.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im assuming this has to do with travel time of the proc. Doesn't it have around a 200ms delay??
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s cost me a lot of kills in cyrodiil makes me salty every time
    Edited by Deathlord92 on August 26, 2020 6:14PM
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the light attack has to make contact for it to trigger the stack. Were you you using a ranged weapon?
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Rureczka
    Rureczka
    Soul Shriven
    I think the light attack has to make contact for it to trigger the stack. Were you you using a ranged weapon?

I've tested it with Staves, Bows and Melee Weapons, It really doesn't matter.
    In both Grim Focus and Bound Armaments it procs even before a light attacks deals its damage. In fact light attack doesn't even need to hit the target, as it does proc from this current situation: LA->Ability->Ability hits->Target dies->LA doesn't hit as it does not reach the target.
    It's there just for the sake of it and should have been changed a long time ago.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drives me bananas. Pointlessly annoying.
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest reason why I dislike magblade parsing. Hope they change it
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rureczka wrote: »
    Why is there an about 0.2s interval between light attack and ability's proc? It's highly annoying when you do a 5th light attack and instead of firing the ability you refresh its duration.
    I know it could be resolved as it's not the case with Bound Armaments. When you do a 4th light attack with BA, it procs in an instant and you're free to fire it at its full strength. So why not fix the Grim Focus? Why hasn't it been adressed already? I've found a topic on that from Jan 2018, so it's a well-known case:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/389130/we-need-a-fix-for-relentless-focus-merciless-resolve-and-light-attacks

I am of the opinion that since every other class has some sort of aoe or undodgeable ability, nb should have one. I vote that you cast the ability and on the 5th light attack it automatically fires.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »

I am of the opinion that since every other class has some sort of aoe or undodgeable ability, nb should have one. I vote that you cast the ability and on the 5th light attack it automatically fires.

That would be awful. Its bad enough as is but at least you can plan when to fire it. If it shot automatically after a fifth light attack you'd be far more likely to miss
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even get the stupid thing to proc so you are ahead of me there.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭

This is common issue, I usually weave 5 abilities between bow procs instead o 4 just to be sure. I can do 4 at dummy, but in trials there is a bit of a latency or projectile travel time if you are mag.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can confirm that. I recently referbished my magblade and I have noticed this problem. There is another thing I would point out that I experienced myself. The proc time seems to be related to the distance of LA travel. If I play in melee range, the proc is almost instant, but if I play in range, the proc delays and if I activated immediately after LA, i refresh the skill.
  • Rureczka
    Rureczka
    Soul Shriven
    Saubon wrote: »
    This is common issue, I usually weave 5 abilities between bow procs instead o 4 just to be sure. I can do 4 at dummy, but in trials there is a bit of a latency or projectile travel time if you are mag.
    Yeah, I oftentimes do that too just to avoid that annoyance.
    I can confirm that. I recently referbished my magblade and I have noticed this problem. There is another thing I would point out that I experienced myself. The proc time seems to be related to the distance of LA travel. If I play in melee range, the proc is almost instant, but if I play in range, the proc delays and if I activated immediately after LA, i refresh the skill.
    That's interesting. I've checked it out now and it seems to be true. When in melee range it procs slighly faster compared to attacking from distance, yet still is not instant unfortunately, which again could lead to refreshing instead of attacking.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me regularly until I remember and focus on leaving enough time so that the proc fires instead of renewing.

It is intensely frustrating because we have enough going on already to focus on. Its also a big dps drop even if its only a few procs here and there you mess up.
    Edited by Grianasteri on September 9, 2020 2:49PM
  • shadowofnarsil
    shadowofnarsil
    ✭✭✭

That's interesting. I've checked it out now and it seems to be true. When in melee range it procs slighly faster compared to attacking from distance, yet still is not instant unfortunately, which again could lead to refreshing instead of attacking.
    This happens to me regularly until I remember and focus on leaving enough time so that the proc fires instead of renewing.

It is intensely frustrating because we have enough going on already to focus on. Its also a big dps drop even if its only a few procs here and there you mess up.
    Agree with all this, I have been using Grim Focus regularly for 2 years and since the patch 1) the delay is real, and does indeed seem to be based on distance, 2) a conscientious and deliberate rotation pause consistently then enables firing the proc and 3) yes, it is frustrating for me as well. To be honest, I know from the patch notes they did make some tweaks to this skill, which makes me suspicious even though nothing was mentioned involving an additional cooldown change - one never knows......
    Edited by shadowofnarsil on September 10, 2020 10:55PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with all this, I have been using Grim Focus regularly for 2 years and since the patch 1) the delay is real, and does indeed seem to be based on distance, 2) a conscientious and deliberate rotation pause consistently then enables firing the proc and 3) yes, it is frustrating for me as well. To be honest, I know from the patch notes they did make some tweaks to this skill, which makes me suspicious even though nothing was mentioned involving an additional cooldown change - one never knows......

You know, most frustrating thing is that even in range, bow does proc relentless much faster than destro. It is not about magicka or stamina morhps, it is about what weapons do you use. Restoration staff proc relentless faster than both destruction staff and bow because its LA travel time is near non existant. You can choose any morph of relentless and pair it with multie weapons, most optimal are melee and restoration staff. Sometimes in pvp, you see magblades spamming resto LA to proc relentless instead of destro LA.
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoration staff proc relentless faster than both destruction staff and bow because its LA travel time is near non existant. You can choose any morph of relentless and pair it with multie weapons, most optimal are melee and restoration staff. Sometimes in pvp, you see magblades spamming resto LA to proc relentless instead of destro LA.

Yup, this is absolutely why I do it. The fire destro in particular is just so damn slow that pretty much no one is getting hit by it unless they choose to let it happen. Poking with the resto staff is also super useful if you've got someone down to "one hit and you die" range, since that's when a lot of people start running and rolling frantically, and ain't no destro LA ever gonna hit someone roll dodging. The resto will though. It's also lightweight hilarious to have someone dodging away for dear life thinking they're safe, only to poke them with the little bop from the resto staff and kill them.
    Edited by JayKwellen on September 12, 2020 3:52AM
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • shadowofnarsil
    shadowofnarsil
    ✭✭✭
    Geesus, I’m glad I don’t PvP.
  • hakan
    hakan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, most frustrating thing is that even in range, bow does proc relentless much faster than destro. It is not about magicka or stamina morhps, it is about what weapons do you use. Restoration staff proc relentless faster than both destruction staff and bow because its LA travel time is near non existant. You can choose any morph of relentless and pair it with multie weapons, most optimal are melee and restoration staff. Sometimes in pvp, you see magblades spamming resto LA to proc relentless instead of destro LA.

nice. ill keep that in mind.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crash427 wrote: »
    erio wrote: »

That would be awful. Its bad enough as is but at least you can plan when to fire it. If it shot automatically after a fifth light attack you'd be far more likely to miss

Imagine a sorcs execute but it triggers on 5th light attack is what i was saying.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh every Nightblade is well aware, but don't expect ZOS to fix it.
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    N/A
    Edited by hexnotic on November 17, 2020 5:41PM
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some NB don't bother with Grim Focus. They should have just added a next attack damage bonus than the spectral bow. It would have had a smoother output to rotations.