Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does healing taken, healing done, and healing received mean?

Jayne_Doe
Jayne_Doe
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
OK...so I've tried searching the forums for an answer to this and can't seem to find one.

Can someone please explain what healing taken means vs healing done vs healing received?

Basically, my question is about who is the recipient of these various heals? Does healing taken refer to when you take a potion? Does it also refer to abilities like Siphon, where you're essentially taking healing from your enemy? Or is that healing done - to yourself? Or is that healing received - from yourself?

Does the heavy armor passive that increases healing received only refer to healing that you receive from another player? Or does it refer to self-heals as well, such as Dragon Blood?

Best Answers

• Atropos
    Atropos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mileage may vary, but my understanding is as follows:

"Healing Taken" refers to incoming healing in it's raw quantity. Suppose you are 150 HP below your maximum Health. If someone casts Breath of Life on you healing 800 damage, you would have 800 Healing Taken.

Since you were only missing 150 HP, however, you only received 150 health from the heal. This 150 health that was actually restored would be "Healing Received".

"Healing Done" is the analogue of Healing Taken for the caster of the heal, referring to the unmodified value of the healing spell cast.

Healing Received (I believe, but could possibly be wrong) affects any incoming healing which actually restores your health. This can come from either yourself or other players. DKs can increase the value of their own Dragon Blood by using Heavy Armor.
    Creator - Tamriel Foundry
    Author - Foundry Tactical Combat
    Guild Master - Entropy Rising
    Noob - Twitch streamer.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing Taken is when you suck the life out of a mob like with the Siphon Skills

Healing Done is when you heal someone else

Healing Received is any healing you get from any source such as a potion, a spell or a skill.

I am not sure if Regen counts towards Healing Received, but it would be easy to figure out if you have something like FTC and some flying numbers.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    So if Healing Received is any healing you get from any source, does that include Healing Taken, which is healing from a skill?

Also, would Inhale be affected by any Healing Taken bonus?

No, Healing Taken is when you take health from a mob, so yes, Inhale is Healing Taken since you are taken healing points with it.

As for Passives if you have the skill points, and no actives you need them for, use them on your Passives. No passives should be left unselected.

Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro's of threads that contribute to a discussion is fine.

@Jayne_Doe Green Dragon Blood is Healing Done if the logic plays out. I think you can only "Receive" from another player or source. Healing Done would be any Healing action you the player initiate. Although, the Passive Burning Heart increases Healing Received, and that does increase GDB, like if you have Spiked Armor active. Or, it used to.

Inhale would be Healing Taken, based on the text I see in the Combat Log addon I have. I will say that I have no points in the Healing Passives and Inhale does more to keep me alive, and magic regen'd than any other skill or method in the game. I love the Inhale.

These Passives are really not clear about what does what when and under what circumstances. Then again, the passives may be just fine, it's the other skills that feed into them that are not consistent.

Answer ✓
  • Rikkadir
    Rikkadir
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I was/is confused about this as well. lol
    I just checked a Philter of Health potion in my inventory, which stated Restore 4487 Health immediately

I then equipped a weapon with the Powered trait Increases healing done by 3%
    The same Philter of Health then stated Restore 4621 Health immediately
    Healing done also applies to skills such as Bloodthirst and Blood Craze in the Dual Wield skill line. (just checked) ;)
    PS4/PS5/EU
    Answer ✓
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healing Taken is when you suck the life out of a mob like with the Siphon Skills

Healing Received is any healing you get from any source such as a potion, a spell or a skill.

I am not sure if Regen counts towards Healing Received, but it would be easy to figure out if you have something like FTC and some flying numbers.

So if Healing Received is any healing you get from any source, does that include Healing Taken, which is healing from a skill?

And, if you have a set bonus to Healing Done and another set bonus to Healing Received, would both count toward self-healing, ala Dragon Blood? That is, would you get a bonus to healing done (to yourself) and then again to healing received (from yourself)?

I had been debating about the heavy armor perk for bonus to healing received. I'd been holding off since I don't really do any group play. However, if it affects my self-heals, then I may go ahead and get them.

Also, would Inhale be affected by any Healing Taken bonus?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Nestor!

It's still a little confusing that Healing Received is any healing you receive from any source, EXCEPT healing from skills such as Inhale or Siphon, which are actually Healing Taken.

After looking at my specs again, I see that I do actually have all of the Heavy Armor passives. What I don't have is Burning Heart from the Draconic Power skill tree, which increases healing received while a Dragon ability is active. I have spare skill points, so will spend them there.

Thanks again!
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    isn't Healing Taken same as Healing Received?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »

@Prabooo

As far as the effect on your character, yes, you get your Health bar refilled. The difference is, how do you get the Health, do you take it from an enemy mob/player or do you receive it from some source like a friendly player spell or a potion or HoT tick?

For example, using Siphon, that is Healing Taken for the player who casts the spell, Healing received for the Ally who also gets the Healing effect with the Morph. The distinction only really counts for which passive you use in the champ tree. And, you choose that passive based on the healing you usually get either from a Healer in your group, or from skills you use like Siphon or Inhale where you suck the life out of an enemy and apply it yourself.

• Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »

@Prabooo

As far as the effect on your character, yes, you get your Health bar refilled. The difference is, how do you get the Health, do you take it from an enemy mob/player or do you receive it from some source like a friendly player spell or a potion or HoT tick?

For example, using Siphon, that is Healing Taken for the player who casts the spell, Healing received for the Ally who also gets the Healing effect with the Morph. The distinction only really counts for which passive you use in the champ tree. And, you choose that passive based on the healing you usually get either from a Healer in your group, or from skills you use like Siphon or Inhale where you suck the life out of an enemy and apply it yourself.

thanks dude
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding everything else mentioned by @Nestor , I agree.
    Pertaining to this last bit quoted above, Healing Received and Health Recovery/Regen are separate stats, for all intents and purposes. Buffing your Healing Received will not increase your Health Recovery. Likewise, Health Recovery is not reduced as a result of Battle Spirit in Cyrodiil, because it is not a form of healing. Think of it as "natural" recovery.
    Edited by Autolycus on June 2, 2016 5:23PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Autolycus

Thanks, I did not think Regen would be part of Healing Received. When I wrote this post, I was not using FTC or AUI so had no flying numbers to suss out if that was happening or not.

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor Not a problem! I'm happy to help. Hopefully it came off as constructive and positive. It's something I've looked into and I had the purest of intentions.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    OK...so I've tried searching the forums for an answer to this and can't seem to find one.

Can someone please explain what healing taken means vs healing done vs healing received?

Basically, my question is about who is the recipient of these various heals? Does healing taken refer to when you take a potion? Does it also refer to abilities like Siphon, where you're essentially taking healing from your enemy? Or is that healing done - to yourself? Or is that healing received - from yourself?

Does the heavy armor passive that increases healing received only refer to healing that you receive from another player? Or does it refer to self-heals as well, such as Dragon Blood?

Healing taken is also any healing from other players during a fight with a lot of other players around.You dont need to be in a group,per se,but just in the same fight with them and they heal you along with everyone else.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow...I posted this in December 2014! Super necro!! :D

But, I do still need some clarification. If I use Dragon Blood, does that count as healing done or healing received? Just curious which champion star this affects. Also, which champ star affects inhale? AFAIK, there are only 2 that affect healing - one in the Mage (not sure which tree) that affects healing done (Blessed, I think?) and one in the Warrior (again, not sure which tree) that affects healing received. Thanks!
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on June 13, 2016 10:11PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necro's of threads that contribute to a discussion is fine.

@Jayne_Doe Green Dragon Blood is Healing Done if the logic plays out. I think you can only "Receive" from another player or source. Healing Done would be any Healing action you the player initiate. Although, the Passive Burning Heart increases Healing Received, and that does increase GDB, like if you have Spiked Armor active. Or, it used to.

Inhale would be Healing Taken, based on the text I see in the Combat Log addon I have. I will say that I have no points in the Healing Passives and Inhale does more to keep me alive, and magic regen'd than any other skill or method in the game. I love the Inhale.

These Passives are really not clear about what does what when and under what circumstances. Then again, the passives may be just fine, it's the other skills that feed into them that are not consistent.

Thanks @Nestor! I wish ZOS would provide a document that defines the various terms they use in their tool tips, instead of just leaving the community to try and figure these things out.

I also prefer Inhale over GDB. For some reason, I've only recently started using it. I don't PVP, so Battle Spirit isn't an issue for me in regard to GDB, and I like the stamina regen boost. However, Inhale allows me to gain health, get off some other attacks, and then get a nice damage boost from the exhale.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really glad to see this discussion continuing. Thanks!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis