Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Igneous Weapons

wrathofrraath
wrathofrraath
✭✭✭
Molten Armaments is pretty useful at times, but the other morph Igneous Weapons I have never used since the group flame damage was removed. What if Igneous Weapons was able to help with Mag DK sustain somehow ? What are some ideas for this and / or what are some uses you use the current Igneous Weapons morph for ?
Edited by wrathofrraath on August 27, 2020 12:38PM
Vokul Lovaas - V16 Magicka Dragonknight
Vokul Vol - V16 Magicka Nightblade

Order of Mundus - NA DC

DK heals OP
  • Phanex
    Phanex
    ✭✭✭
    Good question, I'd like to know this as well.
  • wrathofrraath
    wrathofrraath
    ✭✭✭
    What about while active, combustion is amplified or some sort of magicka return on burning enemies ?
    Vokul Lovaas - V16 Magicka Dragonknight
    Vokul Vol - V16 Magicka Nightblade

Order of Mundus - NA DC

DK heals OP
  • Pterion87
    Pterion87
    ✭✭
    The dk in general screams for a rework. It is not possible that his stamina counterpart, of the 18 class abilities he possesses, has only 3 morphs to stamina, that makes it the worst stam pve class by far.
    Edited by Pterion87 on August 27, 2020 7:48PM
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it made melee weapons deal flame dmg and return magicka instead
    Edited by lucky_Sage on August 27, 2020 7:54PM
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »

why not any weapon?
    Edited by Xvorg on August 27, 2020 8:29PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

why not any weapon?

Because dks are a melee battle mage bruiser. There isn’t anything in the dks kit to use a bow
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why not any weapon?

Because dks are a melee battle mage bruiser. There isn’t anything in the dks kit to use a bow

Other than a huge cost reduction on all poison damage abilities.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with this skill is it's being balanced around providing arguably the most important buffs in the game: Major Brutality and Major Sorcery. Problem is, these buffs are so crucial that most players worth their salt have already figured out a way to incorporate these buffs into their builds. There are plenty of other skills and potions that do it. So the result is that no one's really asking a DK to provide these buffs for the party, because everyone already has it.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »
    The problem with this skill is it's being balanced around providing arguably the most important buffs in the game: Major Brutality and Major Sorcery. Problem is, these buffs are so crucial that most players worth their salt have already figured out a way to incorporate these buffs into their builds. There are plenty of other skills and potions that do it. So the result is that no one's really asking a DK to provide these buffs for the party, because everyone already has it.

Only time I ever see if being used for group is puging tanks use it to make sure the group has it Atleast to help him/her to get through to dungeons with pugs
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »

Only time I ever see if being used for group is puging tanks use it to make sure the group has it Atleast to help him/her to get through to dungeons with pugs

And that's basically the type of person who I imagine likes the current rendition of the skill.

The best use i can think of is having a dk provide sorcery and brutality in a trial so everyone is freed up to use something like heroism potions. That's pretty niche though.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely one of those functionally dead morphs that is a prime candidate for a re-work.

What you would change it to though, I'm not sure.

The passive Helping Hands in that tree is kinda wonky to get much utility from, so ideally maybe something that you would be casting semi-frequently to proc it as well as the ulti-gen passive. As it currently stands, there really isn't any realistic way to proc that near cool-down without being tremendously wasteful with your resources.

Random brainstorm ideas:
    • Change it to be Poison-themed (requires animation change) for the stamDKs - maybe adds a certain amount of Poison Damage to your Light Attacks.
    • Keep the "group utility" theme of the current morph and add a certain amount of Weapon and Spell Penetration to yourself and your group members.
    • Same idea as above but from a different angle - your own Light Attacks apply a certain amount of Armor shred to the target for some amount of time.
    • Selfish version of the above - gives only you some amount of Weapon and Spell Penetration.
    • Make it a sustain skill for magDKs - appling the Burning status effect when the skill is active doubles the amount of Magicka returned from the Combustion passive.

I think that I like the first idea the most (and because stamDKs need some assistance) followed by final idea since those are generally considered to be pain points of the sub-classes.
  • kuma82
    kuma82
    ✭✭✭
    Zos has said their vision of DK is fire and fury when they made that post when they were working on them awhile back. They are both mag morphs, change one to stam and have it increase attack speed. If dks are an attrition class let us be the ones that are relentless with constant pressure. Fits the fury and mag dks can be the fire aspect.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

why not any weapon?

Original molten weapons added fire dmg on any light/heavy attack, even frost staff
    Edited by Xvorg on August 31, 2020 9:57PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kuma82 wrote: »
    have it increase attack speed.

Is that possible with the GCD system?

I know that there used to be a weapon trait that did this but I have to imagine that was before the advent of the GCD? Does anyone know?

why not any weapon?

Original molten weapons added fire dmg on any light/heavy attack, even frost staff

That's awesome! Why did they change it to something so bland and pointless?
    Edited by YandereGirlfriend on August 31, 2020 10:29PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kuma82 wrote: »
    have it increase attack speed.

Is that possible with the GCD system?

I know that there used to be a weapon trait that did this but I have to imagine that was before the advent of the GCD? Does anyone know?

why not any weapon?

That's awesome! Why did they change it to something so bland and pointless?

Light/Heavy attacks do not follow the GCD, there is a Werewolf set that increases attack speed with Auto Attacks. Either way, there is no reason to add that to DK, the 1s GCD can not be broken and doesn't really fit their class anyway.

I'd prefer for them to add back the fire damage buff it use to provide.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MashmalloMan Interesting! I've never used the set from MoS but have always been curious about how it worked. Do you happen to know what the maximum number of Light Attacks that you can fit into a 1-second interval is?

Adding Fire Damage to one morph and then maybe Poison to the other would be such nice class flavor addition. I'm honestly stunned that that it used to work that way but was subsequently removed for the non-morph that it is today.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MashmalloMan Interesting! I've never used the set from MoS but have always been curious about how it worked. Do you happen to know what the maximum number of Light Attacks that you can fit into a 1-second interval is?
    @YandereGirlfriend If I'm not mistaken I think a light attack cooldown is 700ms so Blood Moon would decrease that to 350ms. Aprox. 2.85 light attacks a second? Correct me if I'm wrong, can't find it online.

Side note: I'm pretty sure it's 700ms or close to it, it would be why they updated Relequen to have a 500ms cooldown instead of 1000ms. You can now get stacks to 10 quicker by spamming light attacks without skills, before you would always waste every other light attack. This helps stamina dps with a bow when they potentially lose their stacks, but are forced to fight from range with no good ranged skills to spam, making the set much more usuable in all types of content.
    Adding Fire Damage to one morph and then maybe Poison to the other would be such nice class flavor addition. I'm honestly stunned that that it used to work that way but was subsequently removed for the non-morph that it is today.

I can't remember why it was removed, I think they did it because they were transitioning to the current Minor/Major system and away from unique effects. At it's inception, it probably seemed like providing a Major Buff to your whole group would be considered a very good group tool, better even then the unique minor fire damage...

Side note: 1 of the Volley morphs, I think it was Endless Hail, use to be called Scorch or something close, it would rain down fire arrows for a Scorched earth, very cool effect, still miss it, but they changed it to better support full on stamina damage dealing builds.

However, Major Brutality and Sorcery are not even remotely flexible in a DD build, it's esentially required (which is why I see some arguments that it should just be removed). If the skill that provides your major damage buff is not attached to something that provides utility like Warden's Betty for sustain or Sorcs Crit Surge for self healing (optional with a healer), then it's completely tossed for Weapon Power potions that provide everything you need. The only benefit is the above example where DD's can use Minor Courage potions, but they're so damn expensive that you would need to be apart of the score pushing 0.005% trial organized trial population to even consider that niche option.

They actually tried this same concept with Warden and Frost Cloak, which admittedly works much better in practice, because only Stam Sorc (damage skill), Nightblades (passive) and some Templars (sustain skill) will get Major Resolve naturally. Thats 4/12 of the available Damage Dealer roles so it actually CAN help your group provide some defense, while Igneous Weapons provides next to nothing because of potions and the requirement.

Nowadays.. ZOS seems to be wising up and providing more and more unique class debuffs again. Stam DK (damage done stagger), Stam Sorc (1k armor shred), Stam NB (5% armor shred), Tank NB (-200 weapon/spell damage aoe), Mag DK (+ fire damage). Could even consider Necro's major vuln as unique for the time being, because it's so rare, but it kinda falls into the realm of Minor Sorcery, Prophecy, Savagery, Brutality and Touphness, every other class provides.

My hope is they continue that trend, more classes deserve unique debuffs to bring to the table.. DK getting a unique fire and poison buff for the group could be very nice, but stagger and fire damage done are already pretty potent group tools for them. I'd rather see them give Templars, NBs and Wardens more unique tools first, but maybe 1 day, having 2 unique buffs like that won't be considered over the top.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on September 1, 2020 2:01AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit