The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flying Mount

• Ei8htba11
    Ei8htba11
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO, Keep mounts the way it currently is.
    Not a fan of flying mounts myself, but I also think it wouldn't work. The way the game is instanced, some interior areas are put in the 'empty' areas of the map. When you go into Solitude, the map marker shows as you would expect, but the actual Solitude interior is a separate instance way over in central Skyrim (where you can't get... officially). This is also a likely explanation for why Northern and Southern Elsweyr are separated as they are.

Flying mounts would necessitate the reworking of the whole map into a contiguous landmass, with enclosed city areas no longer instanced and actually placed where they are supposed to be. Sounds like a lot of work, and possibly something that with the current game would not improve performance.

This is an educated assumption on my part however, based on things I've seen, encountered or explored, including some OOB discoveries.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    2 points on lore: Firstly there are, limited, examples of flying mounts in TES already, like the Welkynars in Summerset (who ride griffons) and isolated examples of people riding dragons.

Secondly and maybe more importantly game lore isn't some immutable thing like the laws of physics created in full when the first game is conceived and impossible to ever change after that. It's the background details for the stories and continuously added to and changed as games are created or expanded and can always be changed to suite the stories the developers want to tell. This happens all the time with TES, and other games. For two recent examples until Skyrim was released there was no mention of the ancient dragon war and until ESO was in development there was no mention that the Interregnum in the Second Era included a 3-way war between provinces or a major coordinated attack by Molag Bal, just that it was a time of chaos with no real emperor on the throne and none of the people who claimed the title able to hold it for long enough to be remembered.

It's the same with other games. Someone mentioned that both Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft were able to have flying mounts because that was written into their lore from the start, but that's not actually true. Flying mounts do pre-date WoW, but they were invented for Warcraft 2 (note: yes this is a game that came before WoW, there was a whole series before they ever made an MMO) when the developers decided to add aerial (and naval) combat to the options available in the first game. Before that they were never mentioned.

Guild Wars actually had a tradition of no mounts at all until the latest expansion to Guild Wars 2, to the point where horses are mythical (or possibly extinct) creatures in that world (there is one horse in the game, but he lives in another dimension, and is also invisible). There was no mention of any of the playable races riding anything, except asura using mecha-suit golems, and certainly no mention of anyone riding griffons, until they decided to add mounts to the game. The second flying mount was even more problematic because it's a dragon and all dragons in that world are extremely powerful elemental beings who are at best indifferent and more likely extremely aggressive towards people. They got around it by saying these dragons are originally from another dimension. Other dimensions already existed in the lore, but there was no mention of one with friendly dragons until the developers wanted there to be.

If ZOS wanted to add flying mounts to the game the lore would not prevent them. They'd build on the existing examples or make up new ones. Maybe we go to Akavir and find they have a species of small, relatively safe dragon which can be ridden. Maybe the altmer are able to train and ride griffons again and agree to share them. Maybe some new creature appears and is tamed...there's all kinds of ways they could explain it, including, if necessary, writing in lore to explain that this is an old tradition that has always existed and we just didn't know until now.
    Ei8htba11 wrote: »
    Not a fan of flying mounts myself, but I also think it wouldn't work. The way the game is instanced, some interior areas are put in the 'empty' areas of the map. When you go into Solitude, the map marker shows as you would expect, but the actual Solitude interior is a separate instance way over in central Skyrim (where you can't get... officially). This is also a likely explanation for why Northern and Southern Elsweyr are separated as they are.

Flying mounts would necessitate the reworking of the whole map into a contiguous landmass, with enclosed city areas no longer instanced and actually placed where they are supposed to be. Sounds like a lot of work, and possibly something that with the current game would not improve performance.

This is an educated assumption on my part however, based on things I've seen, encountered or explored, including some OOB discoveries.

I don't think they'd need to turn the entire world into one continuous map. Guild Wars 2 has flying mounts and uses separate maps similar to the way ESO does, you just can't fly over the edge of a map border, you have to find the transition points and go through there like you would on foot. (Since ESO isn't as strict about map borders - I always fall out of Stormhaven into Glenumbra when I'm going down the coast past Evermore - they could have more transition points too.)

It's not an issue in that game because their flying mounts are quite different to the way I understand World of Warcraft does it (I've never played it, but I've heard them described enough). In GW2 they don't fly continuously and you don't have total free movement, there's a limit on how high they can get from their starting point and while they're moving forward they gradually lose height. There's ways to extend how long you can stay airborne, so if you start high enough it's entirely possible to go from one end of a map to the other without landing but it's not as jarring when you can't fly over a mountain or whatever that's at the border of the map. It makes flying more of an 'active' process where you have to think about your route and manage your mounts stamina but I've heard some people say it makes it more interesting to do, and it gets around problems like allowing players to totally skip quest 'check points' or enemies as well as making them work within map boundaries.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...wasn't there just a pole on this same thing?
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not needed in this game.

If you want flying mounts go play a game that has flying mounts or a flight sim game.

Stop trying to turn ESO into other games
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when alliance change was never going to happen.
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    If they caused 0 Lag and when flying to different places/places in tamriel it didn't have a 3 year loading screen then hell yeah.

But..... that's never gonna happen
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the millionth time : no.
  • Lone343Wolf
    YES, Make mounts ability to fly.
    I think if you had like a gliding mount it would work. Like a smaller gryphon mount. Don’t really understand people’s view on, its too laggy. Sounds like a personal connection problem.
  • eKsDee
    eKsDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would prefer them to just not be added. If they are to be added, I feel they should be balanced similarly to the Griffon and Skyscale in Guild Wars 2, such that the flying mounts do offer more convenient transport, just not over long distances or great heights.
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying mounts? Hell no [snip] Game doesnt need mounts that can fly, game wasnt designed for mounts that can fly, a huge and unnecessary overhaul would be needed to be able to have this at all, and I would much rather they spend all that time, effort and resources on you know, making the game better, or adding new and interesting content, or working on balance, or making way in class identity. I mean, yeah, lets put all that necessary stuff on the back burner so they can spend the next 6 months making the game exactly the same just now has mounts that can fly, and we spend the next 3 years dealing with all the bugs this juvenile and useless change brings. Other games have flying mounts, I invite you to go find them.

[Edited for Bashing]
    Edited by Psiion on August 12, 2020 8:00PM
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao ,Nay. Tis not world of Warcraft, It requires zones to be fitted for such a task it would be require tons of re work and it would make game so much easier, losing charm ,not to mention stables,new code,performance issues,crashes and new mounts to be created, if you want to fly and swim underwater go play WoW then with terrible graphics and singificantlly less world interaction.

ESO IS HEAVEN BEST
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] why every MMO must be WoW clone is some aspect ESO is so unique and perfect as it is, leave it that way

[Edited for Bashing]
    Edited by Psiion on August 12, 2020 8:01PM
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im actually against but I get a bit tired of all the artificial detours and invisible walls sometmes .. :|

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you exactly do up there? ESO doesn't exactly have floating cities or any significant locals up in the sky. If anything it'd be more plausible for underwater content but we know that won't happen due to the game engine and the significant changes required to make that a possibility. Shame to since I loved exploring some of the underwater caves and such in Oblivion, and who knows what is submerged around Summerset!
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure the game would need a full rebuild LOL
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • AndrewQ84
    AndrewQ84
    ✭✭✭
    Other:
    I'd rather two seater mounts before flying mounts. Some of the existing mounts look big enough to already hold two people.
    Sa'hira of the Shadows, DC Nightblade and ruins explorer extraordinaire.

"May your day be awesome and full of Bacon!!!"

- Me
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Remember when alliance change was never going to happen.

Yes. Still hate that they changed that. However....

Changing the coding for a character alliance...versus....Changing the programming for the entire world to allow player mounts to fly...one of these things will take a lot more work and run a lot more risk of breaking something else. Considering the normal non-flying game updates and patches regularly break other things I can imagine the absolute fun of a "let all the wanna-be dragonborn/apocalyptic skyrider destroyers FLY' update will be. Plus the added bonus enjoyment of the ranting and raving when flying isn't allowed in certain areas to stop players from exploiting, and then the ranting and raving of the people reporting all of the exploiting that is happening.

Really, really, really hope the devs don't cave in and make this WoW: Nirn Edition.
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've already introduced so many lore-breaking things in this game, hell, why not, they've proven most of them don't give a rat's **** about the lore anyway
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always was opposed, because it makes the world feel smaller. But since there are wayshrines every 2 meter and the game relies heavily on fast travel, sure why not.

But the engine is not capable of this, and the levels are not designed for this (some cities are instances like Rivenspire northpoint, and there are to many invisible walls and unifinised area's when trying to take a shortcut.)

Since mounts already can't swim, they can add hovering mounts instead. So it's z-axis is a bit elevated, but it still behaves as a normal mount. So you still need to jump over that rock.

I think that is the closest we can come to flying.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."