The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flying Mount

Scrollup
Scrollup
✭✭✭
F
Edited by Scrollup on August 11, 2020 8:04PM

Flying Mount 180 votes

YES, Make mounts ability to fly.
18%
BeolundKnootewootOmniDoAefionBloodclawpod88kkFischblutEctheliontnacilvestahlsAtypicalgalMinyassaRoztlin45NoumentortgrippaChaos2088CelestialSlayertim99rexagamemnonGrianasteriZaroktheImmortalGOAT4EVAR 33 votes
NO, Keep mounts the way it currently is.
76%
MagenpieBlueRavenGilvothsithus1966_ESOrbullisJarndycedaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOThorntonguekypranb14_ESOopajsarahvhoffb14_ESOSporvanninibinigresiacGythralstevenyaub16_ESOstybbe17b16_ESOFettkeewlpurple-magicb16_ESOidk 137 votes
Other:
5%
DanikatNyghthowlerIpslorkargen27AndrewQ84ldzlcs065MagicalLijaJayrooMajor_LagMajThorax 10 votes
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    Based on the recent... developments (talking about the PTS here), it looks like ESO is headed in the same overall long-term direction as WoW, just that it's lagging (heh!) a decade or so behind.

With the above in mind, it appears that flying mounts are not a matter of if, but when.
    However, there is a snag: just as was the case in WoW at the time, ESO's game engine is not capable of handling flying mounts due to the way it is implemented.

Flying mounts - or, for that matter, anything flying that's fully player-controllable - require the game (and its maps/zones) to be designed and implemented in ways which meet certain specific requirements, otherwise it is simply not possible to accomplish (cf. Skyrim, for example).
    Very extensive modifications are required to implement it in an existing game which was not designed for it right from the outset.

Perhaps ironically, this issue is the fulcrum upon which ESO's destiny turns: although a significant engine recoding is inevitable if flying mounts are to be ever implemented, it would be also the best (and possibly, the only) opportunity to also address many of the crippling performance issues from which ESO is currently suffering.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh gods no.... bigger Twilights... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..
  • Noumentor
    Noumentor
    ✭✭
    If there was no perfomance issue with them being in the game, then I would have no problem with them being around
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the previous flying mount page even dropped to the third page yet...
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would probably become a glitchy mess in this game.
    Edited by Jackey on August 11, 2020 10:48PM
    PS | EU
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <——- wow is that way
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know, there's a youtube vid with the devs explaining why no flying and no underwater swimming [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on August 12, 2020 12:29PM
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    <——- wow is that way

These WoW refugees don't want to play the WoW because it's crap but want every other game to become exactly like it.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    We have been told it can't happen and it will not happen so our opinions on the matter really don't mean much.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes please :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never played in a game with flying mounts yet. I've only played a handful of games and none of them were equipped for that and only one of them was even equipped for underwater swimming. I'd love to see either or both of those things happen in ESO because I think it would be fun, and I like this game and have zero desire to ever try WoW, which looks ridiculous and I've heard nothing but horror stories about. This game has such a beautiful landscape and I think it would be *incredible* to get to see it from above.
  • Scrollup
    Scrollup
    ✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    Based on the recent... developments (talking about the PTS here), it looks like ESO is headed in the same overall long-term direction as WoW, just that it's lagging (heh!) a decade or so behind.

With the above in mind, it appears that flying mounts are not a matter of if, but when.
    However, there is a snag: just as was the case in WoW at the time, ESO's game engine is not capable of handling flying mounts due to the way it is implemented.

Flying mounts - or, for that matter, anything flying that's fully player-controllable - require the game (and its maps/zones) to be designed and implemented in ways which meet certain specific requirements, otherwise it is simply not possible to accomplish (cf. Skyrim, for example).
    Very extensive modifications are required to implement it in an existing game which was not designed for it right from the outset.

Perhaps ironically, this issue is the fulcrum upon which ESO's destiny turns: although a significant engine recoding is inevitable if flying mounts are to be ever implemented, it would be also the best (and possibly, the only) opportunity to also address many of the crippling performance issues from which ESO is currently suffering.

I am thinking flying is possible just add ceilings and limit some zones until all zones are implemented.
  • Scrollup
    Scrollup
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I've never played in a game with flying mounts yet. I've only played a handful of games and none of them were equipped for that and only one of them was even equipped for underwater swimming. I'd love to see either or both of those things happen in ESO because I think it would be fun, and I like this game and have zero desire to ever try WoW, which looks ridiculous and I've heard nothing but horror stories about. This game has such a beautiful landscape and I think it would be *incredible* to get to see it from above.

Swimming under water is overrated, in FFXIV they implemented under water swimming but they sure did a good job adding stories and zones under water.

I am not sure underwater within ESO lore will work unless they expand the lore as a new world or old world that has't been discovered.
    Edited by Scrollup on August 11, 2020 11:42PM
  • MercilessnVexed
    MercilessnVexed
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. If you wanna fly, then go where you can fly. Flying would take so much out of this game. Srsly. SMDH
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People keep forgetting that the engine cannot handle what is already IN GAME, let alone Sky Whales, underwater exploration, etc.

Time. For. An. Overhaul.

S.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so a question. Is it possible for ESO to change its game engine or would that require a completely new game from ground up?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left WoW when they removed the ability to use my flying mounts in anything but antique content. I've never been back. I really don't want to see this game go there at all.

First, there's no lore supporting flying mounts (other than the small group in Summerset) in this game. Second, the game's structure (the "bones" of the world itself) isn't able to support that sort of verticality (also why we can't dive, underwater explore and so on).

Generally, players absolutely LOVE flying mounts. Devs.... not. I prefer to not have flying mounts at all, rather than have them arbitrarily removed because the dev team gets tired of making the world look great when flying....
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to have them, but WoW has been trying to get rid of them for quite some time, without much success. I can't ZoS adding them here.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say no based lore wise there isn't much of any lore supporting flying mounts except on very isolated instances that have since been debated and found with issues alone. Much like what happened with airships appeared in a single game Redgaurd and that was it. So on that alone i would have to say no with complete support on the no part.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    so a question. Is it possible for ESO to change its game engine or would that require a completely new game from ground up?

They could do it but the amount of work for it to work if it was even popular would require so much work that they would have to redo the game engine itself, the devs said no to a 2.0 of the game to address many of the long over due needs of various and many game bugs for that same reason. Too much work to do it due to the amount programing they added.
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    I want capes before flying mounts. In both cases the animations will take a huge toll on the servers.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW has flying mounts, GW2 has flying mounts, Ashes of Creation will have flying mounts. Only ZOS says "sorry, can't do it" - really?
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    WoW has flying mounts, GW2 has flying mounts, Ashes of Creation will have flying mounts. Only ZOS says "sorry, can't do it" - really?

it is more lore and game engine wise, the lore it was so isolated that it barely even known amongst the lore readers, even then it is disputed and many facts prove it no then that are saying lore wise. Elder scrolls iv and V and II i believe you could go under water IV and V yes III have to check been a while.
    Only one Elder scrolls game had anything that actually flew and that was airship in Redgaurd and it was the only game that had didn't sell well, for various reasons, and wasn't very popular amongst the fan base. So i can see ZOS saying no, also WoW the mounts arn't very popular amongst the devs they said due to labor that has to go behind flying mounts and what little they make off the mounts doesn't compensate for the labor that was done on theme. Even the game engine had to be reworked to have theme and then again they where popular amongst the fans to a point till the many issues came out and generally stopped being as popular.
    Also in the games you did mention WoW GW2 and Ashes of Creation the mounts are written into the base lore of the game itself so had thought put in and reasons to have elder scrolls it never was except on one game and a single book that metions theme in Altmer on the gryphons but nothing final on it.
  • Ipslor
    Ipslor
    ✭✭✭
    Other:
    I vote for flying shield (enchanted).
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason for the lack of flying mounts is not engine or lore at all.

The main problem is fundamental game design. Quests and locations just were not designed for flying mounts: quest markers are positioned so that you will be walking on the ground; the various peaks of mountains and buildings are poorly designed because no one thought you would be looking at them up close.
    Therefore, adding horses means not only adding horses, but actually reworkiing all existing quests and locations.

Not to mention that the idea itself is rather controversial.
    Everything is viable
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Ladislao wrote: »
    The reason for the lack of flying mounts is not engine or lore at all.

The main problem is fundamental game design. Quests and locations just were not designed for flying mounts: quest markers are positioned so that you will be walking on the ground; the various peaks of mountains and buildings are poorly designed because no one thought you would be looking at them up close.
    Therefore, adding horses means not only adding horses, but actually reworkiing all existing quests and locations.

Not to mention that the idea itself is rather controversial.

I was just stating reasons other than the controversial aspect and game wise itself only there are many reasons as to why not to have theme lore is one game engine is another controversy over theme is another many reasons why.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

it is more lore and game engine wise, the lore it was so isolated that it barely even known amongst the lore readers, even then it is disputed and many facts prove it no then that are saying lore wise. Elder scrolls iv and V and II i believe you could go under water IV and V yes III have to check been a while.
    Only one Elder scrolls game had anything that actually flew and that was airship in Redgaurd and it was the only game that had didn't sell well, for various reasons, and wasn't very popular amongst the fan base. So i can see ZOS saying no, also WoW the mounts arn't very popular amongst the devs they said due to labor that has to go behind flying mounts and what little they make off the mounts doesn't compensate for the labor that was done on theme. Even the game engine had to be reworked to have theme and then again they where popular amongst the fans to a point till the many issues came out and generally stopped being as popular.
    Also in the games you did mention WoW GW2 and Ashes of Creation the mounts are written into the base lore of the game itself so had thought put in and reasons to have elder scrolls it never was except on one game and a single book that metions theme in Altmer on the gryphons but nothing final on it.

I am sympathetic to the lore argument, but if we're going to apply that, all skins in the game will have to be removed because there's no mention of any of that stuff in the lore from the single-player games and they're really immersion breaking. But for ESO they came up with pretexts for that stuff to exist, so it follows they can certainly come up with reasons for flying mounts. It would, in fact, be way easier to tame a flying animal than to survive if your skin is all ice or on fire or stuff.

Also, the flying airship was first in Morrowind, in the Bloodmoon DLC. It was a Dwemer airship that crashed on Solstheim.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Gorreck
    Gorreck
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »

It's strange, but the 2nd MMO I ever played (back in 1999) had full underwater combat, then flying mounts were a thing in WoW back in 2006/8 or so (it took a lot of work however there - and they've said ESO's engine cannot handle either underwater or flying) and zoneless MMORPGs seemed to be the future as far back as 2002.

And honestly the last one puzzles me most.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other:
    I don't mind the idea of flying mounts if they're done well but I don't think it would work in this game.

I'm not sure what the devs have said is the biggest problem but one obvious problem I can see is that the ceiling on a lot of maps (maybe all of them) is very low, only slightly higher than the highest point in the terrain. That makes sense if you're making maps without flying because it means the computer doesn't have to waste time and resources loading a large map which is 1/2 unused (the upper half in this case) but it means there's no space for flying, unless you want to be flying just a few meters above the ground.

Again I'm not sure how this works for ESO specifically but in most of the software I've used moving a map to a bigger 3D space isn't easy, often not possible at all. It's like asking an artist to move a painting onto a bigger canvas - it would be easier to re-do the entire thing, but that would still take a lot of time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

I am sympathetic to the lore argument, but if we're going to apply that, all skins in the game will have to be removed because there's no mention of any of that stuff in the lore from the single-player games and they're really immersion breaking. But for ESO they came up with pretexts for that stuff to exist, so it follows they can certainly come up with reasons for flying mounts. It would, in fact, be way easier to tame a flying animal than to survive if your skin is all ice or on fire or stuff.

Also, the flying airship was first in Morrowind, in the Bloodmoon DLC. It was a Dwemer airship that crashed on Solstheim.

Air ship wise yeah looked it up double check and forgot to count that one but again flying airships or mounts are mentioned but only in a very few hard to find books in game. As for the skins yeah do agree there they need remove theme i can see if it was the eyes for charging up magic or something like that but not how they are using it, way to lore breaking there in my eyes but again they did think of a reason why but even the company said it wasn't very popular amongst thee or the community when it was announced so they do tread lightly on it.