The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

AOE Testing - Make more AOEs function like Sub Assualt

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
The sky is not falling. If the upcoming tests prove that AOE frequency is the primary cause of poor performance in Cyrodiil, ZOS isn't going to just slap ramping costs or cooldowns on every AOE and call it a day. Many skills will be redesigned, AOE and nonAOE alike. Some AOEs may see ramping costs or cooldowns, and some AOEs will likely go unchanged. Complaining that "X skill won't work anymore," ignores the universal rebalancing that ZOS will perform if these changes are adopted.

However, I do not want to see cooldowns added to the game. My suggestion for the redesign of various AOE skills - Make them function like Sub Assualt. Make their effect delayed, and cancel the effect from prior casts if the skill is recast before going off. This will turn several AOEs into "skill-shots" while reducing the frequency of AOE effects and avoiding bogging down combat with shoehorned cooldowns.
Edited by MurderMostFoul on July 28, 2020 11:41PM
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the problem is in Cyrodiil, fix it there. These tests have nothing to do with PVE and any changes should not be implemented unless they are only in Cyrodiil imo.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel there is nothing wrong with adding cooldowns to both PvP and PvE. I don't know what the tests will show, but this has the potential to shake up all that we know. And it's better to accept that combat may very well change over the next year.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the problem is in Cyrodiil, fix it there. These tests have nothing to do with PVE and any changes should not be implemented unless they are only in Cyrodiil imo.

There would be no way to balance PvP if drastic AOE changes were only present in PvP. ZOS's philosophy, one that I agree with, is that players should experience pretty much the same functionality of skills in PvP and PvE. Like it or not, ZOS wants some semblance of balance in PvP and PvE. That being the case, if they adopt any of the AOE changes they are testing, the result will be a sweeping re-balance of skills across the board impacting both PvP and PvE.
  • bigdavid11b16_ESO
    bigdavid11b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There would be no way to balance PvP if drastic AOE changes were only present in PvP. ZOS's philosophy, one that I agree with, is that players should experience pretty much the same functionality of skills in PvP and PvE. Like it or not, ZOS wants some semblance of balance in PvP and PvE. That being the case, if they adopt any of the AOE changes they are testing, the result will be a sweeping re-balance of skills across the board impacting both PvP and PvE.

PvP and PVE are fundamentally different types of combat. They should never have been balanced together.
  • bigdavid11b16_ESO
    bigdavid11b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sky is not falling. If the upcoming tests prove that AOE frequency is the primary cause of poor performance in Cyrodiil, ZOS isn't going to just slap ramping costs or cooldowns on every AOE and call it a day. Many skills will be redesigned, AOE and nonAOE alike. Some AOEs may see ramping costs or cooldowns, and some AOEs will likely go unchanged. Complaining that "X skill won't work anymore," ignores the universal rebalancing that ZOS will perform if these changes are adopted.

However, I do not want to see cooldowns added to the game. My suggestion for the redesign of various AOE skills - Make them function like Sub Assualt. Make their effect delayed, and cancel the effect from prior casts if the skill is recast before going off. This will turn several AOEs into "skill-shots" while reducing the frequency of AOE effects and avoiding bogging down combat with shoehorned cooldowns.

I can remember that delayed AoE effects are even worse than normal ones. People called that the "Deto train lag" once: i.e. you were 50 m away from the enemy group, then lag, then suddenly dead.

Sync SubAssault with Detonation (and other delayed burst), and you will still cause the lag CC even in the test week.
    Edited by Thraben on July 30, 2020 6:05AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

I can remember that delayed AoE effects are even worse than normal ones. People called that the "Deto train lag" once: i.e. you were 50 m away from the enemy group, then lag, then suddenly dead.

Sync SubAssault with Detonation (and other delayed burst), and you will still cause the lag CC even in the test week.

I'm not sure I follow you.

Are you saying delayed AOEs, performance-wise, are worse than normal ones in Cryodiil? Delayed AOEs perform fine in a low lag environments (see BGs). If ZOS's theory about AOE frequency induced lag is true, than delayed AOEs would reduce AOE frequency and hence perform better themselves in Cyrodiil.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs is affected, mate.

Every single skill Templar has had has slowly been nerfed into oblivion, forcing all templars to run jabs recently, now jabs has a 3 second cooldown.

Please enlighten me their next spammable they have? Is it Swing? Because Swing does not work in the lag.
    Cadbury wrote: »
    I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel there is nothing wrong with adding cooldowns to both PvP and PvE. I don't know what the tests will show, but this has the potential to shake up all that we know. And it's better to accept that combat may very well change over the next year.

You are probably new to Elder Scrolls Online then? You don't understand how the combat system has worked since launch.

Adding cooldowns to this combat system will seemingly kill the game, why? It was NEVER built for cooldowns, EVER.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding cooldowns to a game after 6 years is kinda late... If the game was to have cooldowns they should have been around from the beginning. Now the game is designed on the absence of cooldowns. Can't fit a square block in a triangle hole, that's fairly obvious...

The game is probably suffering because more players have flocked in after lockdown. p sure zos can now afford higher capacity servers... or just separate the pvp servers. No need to mess up pve and all combat mechanics.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, just change Solar Barrage into applying magnetic bomb on yourself that explode after 3sec.
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Yep, just change Solar Barrage into applying magnetic bomb on yourself that explode after 3sec.

Love it, breath of life and solar barrage spam ball groups <3
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP was accidentally fixed for a week about 2 years ago. Siege was over performing, and most people would get killed in about 2 ticks if they just stood in red. The ball groups and zergs had to spread out or focus siege would burn their AOE heals and kill them. There is a chance that one of the proposed changes might work.