The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Mages fury vs frags

Yajnho
Yajnho
✭✭✭
No one comes to the Sorc class to throw rocks at people. People play Sorc for one of 2 reasons. They either like pets, or they want to throw lighting bolts from their hands. When I built a Sorc and I discovered I shouldn’t use my lightning bolt until the target was almost dead I was disappointed.

From a mechanic point of view Mages fury should be the class spammable. It would line up with the Sorc damage passives, unlike anything in the Dark Magic line. Make crystal the execute- execute sounds more like dark magic anyway.

Either way, the class needs a spammable ability that is not on the Destro staff. Right now I give up damage and efficiency to have a spammable since I loose damage for slotting a non Sorc skill (expert mage) and Destro staff skills are generally less efficient than class skills. It would be fun and thematic if that spammable was a lightning bolt I cast from my hand.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yajnho wrote: »
    No one comes to the Sorc class to throw rocks at people. People play Sorc for one of 2 reasons. They either like pets, or they want to throw lighting bolts from their hands. When I built a Sorc and I discovered I shouldn’t use my lightning bolt until the target was almost dead I was disappointed.

From a mechanic point of view Mages fury should be the class spammable. It would line up with the Sorc damage passives, unlike anything in the Dark Magic line. Make crystal the execute- execute sounds more like dark magic anyway.

Either way, the class needs a spammable ability that is not on the Destro staff. Right now I give up damage and efficiency to have a spammable since I loose damage for slotting a non Sorc skill (expert mage) and Destro staff skills are generally less efficient than class skills. It would be fun and thematic if that spammable was a lightning bolt I cast from my hand.

Crystal fragment is a newly interduced spammable for sorc. Zos decreased the cast time of the skill to 0.8 sec down from 1.0 sec, it also has its damage decreased by 22% but the skill can proc its instant cast and the damage of the instant cast is the same as in live
  • martijnlv40
    martijnlv40
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with you, I've given up any hope that this will ever change. As universal_wrath pointed out, they just changed crystal frags to be the first class spammable. I think mages fury/wrath deserves a buff for PvE, but it might deserve a nerf for PvP. A balance idea I came up not too long ago, is to reduce the range, but increase the base damage by ~10% and increase the execute range to 25% (instead of the 20% it is right now).
  • Yajnho
    Yajnho
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody plays a sorc because they want to throw rocks. It’s interruptible, clunky by most accounts, and most importantly -not lightning. Which other CLASS spammable that is not a channel has a cast time at all?

Give sorcs a smooth spammable that jives with the passives- lightning and physical damage (not magic damage, oddly). Preferably a lightning bolt. Make crystal shard the execute with some kind of proc.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play Sorc cause I like to throw rocks. I love Crystal Frags. I prefer Dark Magic skills over Lightning by a mile.

You shouldn't put "nobody wants X" in front of a personal and highly controversial statement.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Yajnho
    Yajnho
    ✭✭✭
    It’s not particularly controversial. In every fantasy genre ever there are lightning bolts and fireballs. Frequently there are cold powers. No where near as many “I throw rocks” powers.

If you want to argue that in eso the dark magic line is better designed, and crystal shards is as close to a spammable as we’ve got I would say you’ve got a pretty reasonable argument. If the shard was replaced with a dark magic life drain beam (probably a channel) that would be much cooler.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, and sounds a lot like the complaints of a stamDK (clunky spammable, sometimes has a cast time, throwing rocks instead of elemental damage). I wish Crystal Frags would just be instant every cast, with lower damage on the hard cast to make up for the ~10% reduction in the current cast time.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    True, and sounds a lot like the complaints of a stamDK (clunky spammable, sometimes has a cast time, throwing rocks instead of elemental damage). I wish Crystal Frags would just be instant every cast, with lower damage on the hard cast to make up for the ~10% reduction in the current cast time.

Sounds very much like you can't get enough of throwing rocks to me :D
    EU | PC | AD
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

Sounds very much like you can't get enough of throwing rocks to me :D

Haha, picking my battles I guess. A lightning spammable would be great, but it looks like Crystal Frags has been chosen as the class spammable, so hopefully we can declunkify it. I’m still waiting for a Liquid Lightning fix/buff so we can at least use the Shock Damage class AoE without losing DPS.