Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

A question to gamepad users

Csub
Csub
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone, I would like to ask a question from those of you who are playing the game with a gamepad or just simply know the answer.

So, the thing is, as we all know, this game will be released for next gen consoles, which is nice and good but I just couldn`t imagine before trying the game how this MMO would work on consoles. Now I do have an image and I guess it can work out fine, so I tried to play the game with my PS 3 controller, using Xpadder since the game wouldn`t recognize the gamepad yet and this is where I hit a wall.

I suddenly realized that we use more buttons than we have on the gamepad. I mean, I would need 6 for skills + quickbar, then there are attacking, blocking, sprinting, crouching, jumping, the action buttons (E, F and R), dodging, and so on. My question is: How did you people manage to configure all these things? I could live without some buttons if I have my keyboard in my lap, like I could just press C for character info or M for map, but the actions I would use actively are way too many.

I also don`t know for sure how they will implement these for consoles. Well, I have a guess, they will combine buttons, which we cannot do at the moment, as far as I know, so I am really curious about how you people manage or do you have a working setup at all? I am talking about a PS controller now, but Xbox has the same amount of buttons if I am not mistaken (Never had an Xbox before).
I had a PS 1 much sooner than a PC so I really love it and the gamepad so it would be fun to try the game out like that (I played Skyrim both on PC and on PS 3, I enjoyed both).

Thanks in advance! :D
"The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • ibrockbottomed77_ESO
    I sometimes play with my ps4 controller when I get lazy and you do end up having to do without some of the buttons on the controller since the game does not allow multi-key keybinds. That said my layout is below:

square, triangle, X, and O = 1,2,3,4
    RB1 = 5
    RB2 = R
    Left Trig = left mouse button
    Right Trig = RMB
    Up Thumb = E
    Right Thumb = Q
    Down Thumb = shift toggle for auto sprint (using xpadder)
    Left Thumb = (not assigned atm)
    Left Stick = W,A,S,D
    Left Stick click = num lock for auto run
    Right Stick = mouse movement for camera etc.
    Right Stick click = weapon swap
    PS Button = summon horse
    Start Button = jump
    Select Button = not assigned atm (could be crouch if needed)
  • ibrockbottomed77_ESO
    Another thing to note: When in a conversation with an npc you can use the number button (ie 1,2,3,4) to select what your response is. Once you get the hang of this you can use your number selections to navigate npc conversations. :)
  • mechasauce
    mechasauce
    ✭✭
    You're looking at around 14 buttons on both the XB1 and PS4 controllers. I would imagine one of the triggers would be light and heavy attacks (MB1) and the other block (MB2), ABXY could be spells with a hold bumper down mechanic to basically double all of those up. Select button could be Inventory menu, console gamers don't need to quick access character sheet or guild etc, it could all be done from the select (menu) screen. Obviously analogue sticks to aim and camera, D-PAD could potentially be quick access for health/magicka potions, OR more spells.

There are plenty of options on a controller, what they need to make sure though is that you will be able to customise it......but then again...consoles...
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, thanks for the info, I was trying something like: L1 Blocking, R1 attacking, triangle jumping (like in Skyrim), and I wanted to put abilities to L2, R2, Square, X, O but then I realized I was still missing ultimate so I put it to D-Pad up, quickbar was D-Pad down, left and right were E and F I think, Left stick was sprint, Right stick was crouch. I am not quite sure what I put to select and Start, I didn`t have too much time to try different combinations but I will definitely keep trying. I do remember, though, that the sensitivity was very low, it was like having the mouse on lowest DPI.

And I totally forgot to assign PS button and I didn`t have weapon swap either.
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn