Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

(Not A Petition) Please change public dungeons.

• Duckfather
    Duckfather
    ✭✭
    No to instancing. Just.... no!

While it does have the advantage of making certain game mechanics more easily achievable, it has the downside of fracturing the community, and ultimately, it is the community which makes or breaks an MMO
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Duckfather wrote: »
    No to instancing. Just.... no!
    While it does have the advantage of making certain game mechanics more easily achievable, it has the downside of fracturing the community, and ultimately, it is the community which makes or breaks an MMO

WoW Doesn't have nay public instances, or at least it didn't when I played. Nor did EQ2 when I played that, from what I remember, maybe I am wrong on this.

They were both pretty darn popular, infact isn't EQ1, 2 still running to this day, isn't WoW the most successful MMO ever?

There should be options for solo or public, that way if you want to go into a public one and join the rest of the bots that's your choice. But if I want to have a nice pleasant atmospheric experience then I also can by picking solo.

I never get why people are so against additional options in games.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • nkdoddb16_ESO
    nkdoddb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This is frustrating because I HAVEN'T been able to complete a lot of the dungeons... there is always such a mob of people where the boss spawns that I can't get a single hit in edgewise. I didn't even know the bosses dropped good loot. The couple I did manage to kill didn't have anything. They didn't even light up showing they had loot. I mean I love that there are people around to help out when needed so don't get rid of public dungeons... I just wish people weren't so selfish. Some of us actually want to play the game.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    This is frustrating because I HAVEN'T been able to complete a lot of the dungeons... there is always such a mob of people where the boss spawns that I can't get a single hit in edgewise. I didn't even know the bosses dropped good loot. The couple I did manage to kill didn't have anything. They didn't even light up showing they had loot. I mean I love that there are people around to help out when needed so don't get rid of public dungeons... I just wish people weren't so selfish. Some of us actually want to play the game.

I had the opposite problem, i was getting credit for killing the end boss before I had even laid eyes upon it.

Weird because seems your meant to hit it to get credit, but in all four i have been in i got credit whilst looking around, one of them i was just about to open up a book shelf to read a book.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me but I did have to laugh....

You want public dungeons made solo....

• aedra
    aedra
    ✭✭✭
    I had my first experience with public dungeons and from reading this now I understand the frustration. They should instance just the dungeon bosses as a separate instance inside the public dungeons and if you or your group kill it then have a lockout timer from the boss instance ...

I'd prefer they keep it public, I am honestly tired of instances. Why play an MMORPG if you don't want to play with others? The one thing they do have to change is removing those irritating multi-botting gold farmers camping dungeon bosses. That's the real immersion killer right there.
    Edited by aedra on April 18, 2014 1:01AM
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I want from public dungeons is more of a variety of layouts, has anybody else noticed that almost every single public dungeon has only like 3 different layouts? It feels like Oblivion all over again with dungeons looking all the same.

I wish it was like skyrim where almost every dungeon looked different but I guess we can't have everything we want =\

I play in daggerfall covenant so maybe it's just my alliance?
    Edited by Elvent on April 18, 2014 1:13AM
  • Munku
    Munku
    ✭✭✭
    Public-solo instances? Isn't that any oxymoron?
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    All I want from *** dungeons is more of a variety of layouts, has anybody else noticed that almost every single public dungeon has only like 3 different layouts? It feels like Oblivion all over again with dungeons looking all the same.

I have to agree.

I think they took a page out of the Dragon Age 2 Dungeon Design handbook.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    All I want from *** dungeons is more of a variety of layouts, has anybody else noticed that almost every single public dungeon has only like 3 different layouts? It feels like Oblivion all over again with dungeons looking all the same.

I wish it was like skyrim where almost every dungeon looked different but I guess we can't have everything we want =\

I play in daggerfall covenant so maybe it's just my alliance?

I have only been in 4 and it was enough to put me off going in anymore. Completely immersion breaking for me, and quite frankly do not want to be a part of it until it changes.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me but I did have to laugh....

You want public dungeons made solo....

Forgive me but I also have to laugh, obviously you are confused with the concept of choice.

Here is a quote of what I actually said

"There should be options for solo or public"

I am not saying make public, solo, I am saying give your players a choice.

Like you know, how you can pick DW or 2H. I am not trying to force you lovers of public cluster****'s to go solo. I am simple asking for the choice.

At the moment my only choice is to not go into public dungeons at all because for me, it makes me sick and totally ruins my experience.

Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 1:20AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    I cannot understand why no matter how clearly everyone states OPTIONAL solo mode, people jump to the conclusion that they are going to "remove" public dungeons.

There's no removing public dungeon instancing. We're just asking for the option to go in a solo instance if we desire.

Well its a nice option of think of a solo option but I can already see the results

Player A /zone Hey anybody wanna come help me kill Xboss in X Dungeon?
    Player B /zone L2P Noob they are soloable you don't need help.
    Player A /zone No I want help in the public dungeon.
    Player C /zone I soloed Public.
    Player B /zone You don't need to do Public just do solo.
    Player A /zone Uh Thanks /log
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    I cannot understand why no matter how clearly everyone states OPTIONAL solo mode, people jump to the conclusion that they are going to "remove" public dungeons.

There's no removing public dungeon instancing. We're just asking for the option to go in a solo instance if we desire.

Well its a nice option of think of a solo option but I can already see the results

Yep this is the problem, I wonder if it was a setting hidden away like the 'on/off' toggle for hood. So you can turn it on or off and forget about it, not a popup upon entering.

Even if they just limit it to 5/10 per instance, but then that would take up a lot of their resources.

The only option I can see, is me avoiding public dungeons, which is a shame, because I like exploring dungeons.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 3:09AM
  • Applemoth
    Applemoth
    ✭✭
    One possible solution occurred to me today. Instead of having the loot drop from the boss, have a chest at the entrance to the dungeon. If you get credit for killing the boss there will be loot in it for you - but no more loot will be added until you empty it, so you'll have to run back there to get it between each kill. It will inconvenience the real people who like to camp the boss, but I think that's a small price to pay to inconvenience the bots.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    I have never gotten the achievement for killing a public dungeon boss without attacking or healing someone that was killing the boss.. so I'm thinking something is wonky for you there.

I do agree that something needs to be changed. I would likely be more in favor of bosses dropping no soul shards, or dropping less gold. Maybe give a random blue for completing the dungeon (killing the boss) instead of everytime said boss is killed. Basically prevent people from sitting there and spamming kills on it. That's honestly the only part of public dungeons I don't like right now.. is getting to a boss only to have it die in half a second because of the people sitting there farming. Whether they're bots or not. If they could get the players to just move on, it'd fix the problem (for me at least).

This. Pay more Attention to what youre hitting OP. There have been times where I have hit a mob not knowing that they were the boss simply because so many Players were on it. But if you feel like you need to put some more licks in on the Boss to feel 'accomplished' then sit and wait for it to spawn again. Respawns arent that long in this game.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Bish
    Bish
    Soul Shriven
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

This is a strawman argument.

Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    I have never gotten the achievement for killing a public dungeon boss without attacking or healing someone that was killing the boss.. so I'm thinking something is wonky for you there.

I do agree that something needs to be changed. I would likely be more in favor of bosses dropping no soul shards, or dropping less gold. Maybe give a random blue for completing the dungeon (killing the boss) instead of everytime said boss is killed. Basically prevent people from sitting there and spamming kills on it. That's honestly the only part of public dungeons I don't like right now.. is getting to a boss only to have it die in half a second because of the people sitting there farming. Whether they're bots or not. If they could get the players to just move on, it'd fix the problem (for me at least).

This. Pay more Attention to what youre hitting OP. There have been times where I have hit a mob not knowing that they were the boss simply because so many Players were on it. But if you feel like you need to put some more licks in on the Boss to feel 'accomplished' then sit and wait for it to spawn again. Respawns arent that long in this game.

Nope, one time I was actually just about to read a book from a book shelf, I wasn't even in the same room. ANother the dwemer ruin near Davons Watch, I was heading to the skyshard. the other two I don't right full remember what happened. I am also not a healer so that cannot be the reason. I have not been in any for a while now, so maybe it was just some weird bug.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Applemoth wrote: »
    One possible solution occurred to me today. Instead of having the loot drop from the boss, have a chest at the entrance to the dungeon. If you get credit for killing the boss there will be loot in it for you - but no more loot will be added until you empty it, so you'll have to run back there to get it between each kill. It will inconvenience the real people who like to camp the boss, but I think that's a small price to pay to inconvenience the bots.

This is actually a really good idea, +1 to you Sir! Maybe the boss could drop a key for you to open a chest on your way out. 1 time deal/per day thing.

But anyway in the patch notes it seems Zeni are listening and going to add in a timer on bosses for loot or something of the like.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 6:20AM
  • minhajnycb14_ESO
    I completely agree with the OP. I am so sick of public dungeons in this game it's now downright frustrating. When I first heard about the public dungeons in ESO I thought to myself that when I go into a dungeon I will have other adventurers around that I can team up with complete the dungeon. Instead what do I see? A bumrush of people zoning in and out and not a single mob/enemy npc in sight because as soon as they spawn all these players rush to them and kill them. I then have nothing to do but run thru the entire dungeon without finding a single enemy to kill until you get to the last room and then you see 20 players gathered around where I suppose the "main boss" spawns. As soon as that happens those players kill the boss so damn fast that I don't even get to attack unless I'm super quick.

Is this your idea of a public dungeon Zenimax? Is this how it's supposed to work when you were designing it?? I can't believe that this is working as intended. Please for the love of Akatosh or Vivec or whoever you pray to - fix this thing. It is one of the WORST designed aspect of the game. Make EVERY public dungeon instanced. IF I want to group I should have the option to. If I don't, I should have the ENTIRE INSTANCE to myself. NO ONE ELSE. Thank you for your consideration.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    I agree and it seems like Zeni are listening to us as they have noted in their upcoming patch notes that they are looking into it :) Fingers crossed...
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never understand the people who want to make public dungeons a once and done experience.

Bots ruin it right now, don't confuse that with anything else, it's the bots. Ruin it for the bots, don't ruin it for people who like to camp the bosses or run the dungeon a million times.

Nobody is forcing you to leave the dungeon after you missed the first boss spawn. Stick it out, relog and hope for less bots, there are many ways to work around the problem then by gimping part of the game.
    [DC/NA]
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    The bots are forcing me to leave the dungeon, and the hordes of other players.

I like immersion during my adventuring. Maybe some will say go play a single player game, well to that I say, I like grouping, but not publicly, because the dungeon becomes too full up and then I feel compelled to rush through with the wave of people.

As I have stated, I wouldn't mind public dungeons if they limit the amount of people that can enter to 5 or so. At the moment my idea of fun isn't running through an old abandoned mine with 30+ other people just to see a camped boss at the end. It isn't fun, and Zeni are already looking at ways to fix this.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 21, 2014 7:09AM