Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

(Not A Petition) Please change public dungeons.

Mortelus
Mortelus
✭✭✭
Probably not the right place, but a mod can move it if they so wish.

There needs to be a change in they way public dungeons work, I am tired of exploring the area then getting a pop-up saying I have completed the dungeon (this is only achieved by killing the boss mob), it's a joke. I have been in 4 and at no point did I get anywhere near the boss. It takes away a huge portion of fun, ES is about exploring the deep dark places of the world. But we cannot because;

1) You feel rushed to get to the boss before you get the pop-up saying you finished the dungeon.
2) The atmosphere is ruined by a bazillion players huddled around the last boss spamming their AOE's
3) (For me at least) I actually dread going into public dungeons now , but feel obliged because I am a bit of a completionest.

They can change this in a number of ways. I would suggest making the public dungeons solo by default, but group up and the dungeon will scale up to a maximum of 12 players.

Some may disagree with me here, and that is fine. This is not a discussion for that, this is a petition to get Zeni's attention for those that agree with my view, or have a better way of implementing them.

But IMO they need to change, it is the worst part of the game and kills any enjoyment in dungeon crawling.

If you agree leave a post and hopefully we can get a change to this.

EDIT: Must say though, everything else in this game is pretty darn awesome :)
Edited by Mortelus on April 17, 2014 11:02PM
Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never gotten the achievement for killing a public dungeon boss without attacking or healing someone that was killing the boss.. so I'm thinking something is wonky for you there.

I do agree that something needs to be changed. I would likely be more in favor of bosses dropping no soul shards, or dropping less gold. Maybe give a random blue for completing the dungeon (killing the boss) instead of everytime said boss is killed. Basically prevent people from sitting there and spamming kills on it. That's honestly the only part of public dungeons I don't like right now.. is getting to a boss only to have it die in half a second because of the people sitting there farming. Whether they're bots or not. If they could get the players to just move on, it'd fix the problem (for me at least).
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Signed. I also urge us all to ask for solo option using the in-game feedback.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Every one I have been in, I have been getting nearer to the end and Bam! You've killed said boss. The one outside Ebonheart, I was standing by the book shelves outside the final room and completed it. I didn't even see the boss room, but once I rounded the corner I could see the huge pile or people and figured that's where the boss must spawn.
  • JeffKnight
    JeffKnight
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, and if they changed it so that the loot was given on a 1-time quest completion, this would solve the problem immediately. These blue items aren't really that great, since a crafter can make similar or better, but they can either be sold for gold or deconstructed and grant blue quality improvement items, which is why people do it.
    Officer of Exceptional Legion
    http://www.exceptionallegion.com
    Auriel's Bow - NA
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭
    You may want to edit this (title) if you want people to discuss your feedback. Petitions are not allowed on the forums.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/60843/community-rules#latest

But, might get closed anyway. Good luck.
    * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    ChuiDuma wrote: »
    You may want to edit this (title) if you want people to discuss your feedback. Petitions are not allowed on the forums.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/60843/community-rules#latest

But, might get closed anyway. Good luck.

LOL, ok, wasn't aware of that, thank you for enlightening me. I have changed it, but will probably get closed anyway. Which is a shame because this is positive feedback, I am not trying to rally haters together in one thread. I generally love this game and feel this would be a positive change to an already great game.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of the public dungeons but not how it's turned out with the botters. Not sure how you keep the dungeon public and remove them, other than by making the "boss" not actually drop anything. That'd probably be the easiest solution. It's not like "regular" players are seeing much of that loot as is.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Please keep public dungeons; if I want a single player game I'll play Skyrim or Oblivion. :p Just get rid of the gold farmers, Zenimax, you know, those critters you don't seem to have ever heard of before....
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please make instance regular dungeons an option. Its a huge immersion break to see like 20 players farming the same boss at the end of every dugeons.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Please keep public dungeons; if I want a single player game I'll play Skyrim or Oblivion. :p Just get rid of the gold farmers, Zenimax, you know, those critters you don't seem to have ever heard of before....

It's not about being a single player/solo experience. As some have suggested, if they make loot a one time hit then fine. Or if they introduce the option to make in personal or open then fine.

Forcing me to watch the 'Glastonbury campsite' that sets up on top of the boss. Is not my idea of a good experience. Not in an MMO game. Nor is it fun to have to rush to the end just so I can actually try to hit the boss before I am told I have finished the dungeon even before I have explored half of it.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I like the idea of the public dungeons but not how it's turned out with the botters. Not sure how you keep the dungeon public and remove them, other than by making the "boss" not actually drop anything. That'd probably be the easiest solution. It's not like "regular" players are seeing much of that loot as is.

The thing is that there are regular players who are farming the bosses, too. There are also bots. It's a mix. But there are a lot of regular players farming the bosses for loot drops that they can deconstruct with decent results -- rarer crafting mats. This is a big part of why they are being perma-farmed 24/7 --> they reliably drop gear that can be deconstructed into rarer, juicier crafting mats. I don't do this myself because I find camping a boss for such a long time boring, even if it drops a lot of loot.

I think the solution to this isn't to remove the loot altogether, but perhaps to put it on a timer (say you get a drop once a day, or once every 12 hours or what have you). That were frustrate the bots but allow regular players to get 1-2 drops a day for their own crafting.

I think in general that it is very hard to balance public group content in MMOs -- it tends to either be too lucrative, and so get farmed 24/7, or it tends to be marginally less lucrative, and so is deserted in favor of other things. One consistent theme we have seen in MMO after MMO is that the playerbase will generally find the most efficient way to get "X" and then farm the crap out of that way until they get all that they want. Whether that's the scenarios of Warhammer or the public dungeon bosses of ESO, it's the same idea -- players will farm the heck out of content that gives them what they want if they are permitted to do so. That's like MMO 101.
    Edited by knightblaster on April 14, 2014 1:29AM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, put timers on the bosses, once per day. 12 hours is too short for me.

Also give us the option of solo or public before entering.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing is that there are regular players who are farming the bosses, too. There are also bots. It's a mix. But there are a lot of regular players farming the bosses for loot drops that they can deconstruct with decent results -- rarer crafting mats. This is a big part of why they are being perma-farmed 24/7 --> they reliably drop gear that can be deconstructed into rarer, juicier crafting mats. I don't do this myself because I find camping a boss for such a long time boring, even if it drops a lot of loot.

My opinion is I don't think this is a legitimate method of play. You shouldn't be basically just getting your automatic loot to deconstruct every time the boss pops (or even once every 12 hours or whatever). It should be randomly in the world or via a group point of interest (which do exist in the world and are not farmed like this because they're a hell of a lot harder).
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the only good thing is that eventually, characters will outlevel the content and no longer get loot drops and be forced to move on.
    However, this will take far too long to occur, IMNSHO..and something needs to be done ASAP.
    Public instancing like this was a bad design choice. Good idea, but since it's not been done before, nobody knew the ramifications. We're seeing it now, on a grand scale.
    Make the dungeons instanced and scaled to group size and bosses pop once for that particular group and then group must exit and do the whole thing over again is -perhaps- the best fix, but it might not be too easy to do. Probably won't, actually.

I'd be willing to take the downtime for a fix like massive, though.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭
    @Mortelus‌, if it does, you can always restart a new thread that follows posting guidelines. :) But you're just trying to give feedback thought I'd try and help you keep it open.
    * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *
  • Dysturbed
    Dysturbed
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you should do at least minimal damage on boss to get credit.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »

I cannot understand why no matter how clearly everyone states OPTIONAL solo mode, people jump to the conclusion that they are going to "remove" public dungeons.

There's no removing public dungeon instancing. We're just asking for the option to go in a solo instance if we desire.

Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    ChuiDuma wrote: »
    @Mortelus‌, if it does, you can always restart a new thread that follows posting guidelines. :) But you're just trying to give feedback thought I'd try and help you keep it open.

Thank you, I hope it stays, so far so good. Also hope more people make constructive arguments here to help.
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    I currently hate public dungeons. If I had one major complaint about this game - it would be public dungeons. They need to just make them like the group dungeons.

Seriously... I don't even know why this was a thing to begin with.
  • dark.akarib16_ESO

/agree
    Lvl 19 and I've seen the loot only one time . Did all public dungeons on my way.
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that if they changed it so that the boss drops loot only once per day, those blobs of characters hovering over the spawn point would go away. It's my only issue with public dungeons because it's impossible to get a hit. Relogging until you find a less camped instance works, but it can take a lot of relogs.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Sanspoof wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if they changed it so that the boss drops loot only once per day, those blobs of characters hovering over the spawn point would go away. It's my only issue with public dungeons because it's impossible to get a hit. Relogging until you find a less camped instance works, but it can take a lot of relogs.

And re-logging isn't exactly how Zeni envisioned their game to play I am sure.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason I go into public dungeons now is for any hidden skyshards that might be in there. The boss is surrounded by so many bots it's ridiculous.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Evelyn_Nightingale
    Evelyn_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with getting boss loot once per day. That would encourage farmers to go to other dungeons. If it's your sort of thing you can make a daily ritual of going to all the dungeons you know.
    Ebonheart Pact :: Nord Dragon Knight :: Blacksmith
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    This is odd. I've NEVER had this happen before, except when I am in a group and have someone in my group attack the boss. This sounds like a bug to me.

Also, there is nothing wrong with farming a boss. Every MMORPG has this.
  • flameweaver
    flameweaver
    ✭✭✭
    Public dungeons as they stand now are a gold sellers wet dream. ZOS have made it way too easy for the bots and need to fix this broken mechanic to remove a source of income from the spammers.
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭

My opinion is I don't think this is a legitimate method of play. You shouldn't be basically just getting your automatic loot to deconstruct every time the boss pops (or even once every 12 hours or whatever). It should be randomly in the world or via a group point of interest (which do exist in the world and are not farmed like this because they're a hell of a lot harder).

I can very easily get more loot to deconstruct by just running around to all the chests I have marked on my map and at the same time I get ore, wood, and cloth mats.

People are farming them for the soul shards that's it everything else they drop is just bonus. The shards are a guaranteed drop and after an hour or so you can make thousands of gold. Just changing the shards to be empty would help a lot I think but taking away the ability to farm loot goes against what an mmo is IMO.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    This is odd. I've NEVER had this happen before, except when I am in a group and have someone in my group attack the boss. This sounds like a bug to me.

Also, there is nothing wrong with farming a boss. Every MMORPG has this.

I am not against the farming of mobs, your right it happens and people can spend their game time as they see fit. However, the fact these bosses give guaranteed loot kind of makes it a joke system. People usually farm because the are after that random loot drop, not guaranteed loot droops. For me this is exploitable. However, my biggest problem is that it is ruining my experience.

If you're going to have this system, make an option for a solo dungeon. I do not enjoy seeing hundreds of players in a dungeon, it makes me feel rushed, it takes away any semblance of atmosphere, and I complete the dungeon before I even get near the boss.

This HAS happened to me in every single one I have been in. I only see the boss after I get the achievement, the give away is the mountain of people stood in one place.

It's not fun, It's not a good idea, and to me it is a broken and exploited system.
  • illidar1967
    illidar1967
    Soul Shriven
    I had my first experience with public dungeons and from reading this now I understand the frustration. They should instance just the dungeon bosses as a separate instance inside the public dungeons and if you or your group kill it then have a lockout timer from the boss instance ...
    Edited by illidar1967 on April 17, 2014 4:02PM
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    (Not A Petition) Please change public dungeons
    This is not a discussion for that, this is a petition

I'm so confused.