The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

All ESO events - Base, Chapters and DLCs - are happening in 582 only? What?

• MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I'm curious about, not sure if there is lore out there to answer but have we ever been told how long a year is on Tamriel? The reason I ask is with the two celestial bodies in the sky, we're obviously not on "earth" but an earth like planet. There are planets with earth-like conditions that time passes very differently compared to what we experience. If you consider that time passes faster in-game maybe a traditional year of 365 days doesn't make any sense, if that were the case the passage of a year on tamriel could be equal to 5 years on earth.

Again I've not dug through the lore enough to find anything to support this, but that's how I've always thought about it.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    Something I'm curious about, not sure if there is lore out there to answer but have we ever been told how long a year is on Tamriel? The reason I ask is with the two celestial bodies in the sky, we're obviously not on "earth" but an earth like planet. There are planets with earth-like conditions that time passes very differently compared to what we experience. If you consider that time passes faster in-game maybe a traditional year of 365 days doesn't make any sense, if that were the case the passage of a year on tamriel could be equal to 5 years on earth.

Again I've not dug through the lore enough to find anything to support this, but that's how I've always thought about it.
    Yeah, there's a calendar which maps up to our own.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Calendar
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is done for new players and new players only.

Let's say you started with Summerset, which is really where this whole things breaks down. As a new player, zos wants you to see the new, shiny zone first. You complete that entire questline without ever being prompted to go to your alliance starter zone. So you can be the "saviour of Summerset" long before you are sacrificed to Molag and start the main quest.

It leaves veteran players without a satisfactory explanation, especially with Elsweyr and now the Skyrim chapter because you may have sacrificed either Sai or Lyris. But for a new player it all makes sense.
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on January 31, 2020 8:14AM
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • SpaceElf
    SpaceElf
    ✭✭✭

Let's say you started with Summerset, which is really where this whole things breaks down. As a new player, zos wants you to see the new, shiny zone first. You complete that entire questline without ever being prompted to go to your alliance starter zone. So you can be the "saviour of Summerset" long before you are sacrificed to Molag and start the main quest.

It leaves veteran players without a satisfactory explanation, especially with Elsweyr and now the Skyrim chapter because you may have sacrificed either Sai or Lyris. But for a new player it all makes sense.

So, my biggest problem with the main questlines are not that I can do them in any order- it's that ZOS makes it as clear as mud in what order I should do them to get the best enjoyment out of them lore-wise. For instance, my most recent character:

1. I start the Hooded Figure
    2. Complete Soul Shriven
    3. Finish up God of Schemes at level 21
    4. Do the majority of Caldwell's Silver
    5. Literally finished The Den of Lorkhaj last night, at CP265, and the Queen's dialogue - which mentions a message - does not give me the option to accept any message. Of course, that makes sense, because the associated quest had already been done 30 levels ago.

At level 21- when I somehow got sucked into the quest to start The Weight of the Three Crowns. I don't even flipping know how that could have possibly happened, because there is nothing intuitive about ESO's presentation of their questlines. Now all of the leaders of the Aldmeri Dominion are standing around in Dune. Forever, I guess? I don't know where to go from there except whatever is in Caldwell's Gold.

I know that it ultimately doesn't matter to the majority of players, but I don't exactly play this game for it's mechanics. I play it for the lore and story. I am disappointed in the way quests are presented to me in-game, because I might have made different decisions or done additional actions - if it were more clear in the order I was to play. I'm not suggesting content be restricted for everyone, just that I don't have to Google something that should already be clear or find out after the fact, when I can't do anything about it.
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man you guys take this way too seriously
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    Man you guys take this way too seriously

Blasphemer!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Until they do the main quest and Sai, Lyris and Tharn act as if they've never met you before.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As an RPer, I just say it's 587 (probably going on 588 now) because there's no way all these things could be happening in the span of one or two years. Most other RPers I know also count every irl year towards a year passed in the game, since it's easier that way to keep track of the passing of time in relation to what our characters and others are doing.

The stupid thing now is even though a year was supposed to have passed between Orsinium and the base game MQ, people can start Elsweyr, finish that, and then start the game's MQ and suddenly be back a year in the past and, as was mentioned already, find out some things about Abnur that make it make NO SENSE to be doing the game's MQ after Elsweyr. ZOS really, really, REALLY needs to make EVERY new expansion start you on the game's MQ, not put you directly into the newest content regardless of how much it will contradict with previous things to play them out of order. They also need to have some sort of thing that suggests at least a rough order of what order to play the expansions so things make the most sense. People would be free to ignore it and play as they want, but new players have no way of knowing what a 'proper' order of content is, especially when they have the newest expansion's tutorial thrown at them even before the game's actual MQ.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    As an RPer, I just say it's 587 (probably going on 588 now) because there's no way all these things could be happening in the span of one or two years. Most other RPers I know also count every irl year towards a year passed in the game, since it's easier that way to keep track of the passing of time in relation to what our characters and others are doing.

The stupid thing now is even though a year was supposed to have passed between Orsinium and the base game MQ, people can start Elsweyr, finish that, and then start the game's MQ and suddenly be back a year in the past and, as was mentioned already, find out some things about Abnur that make it make NO SENSE to be doing the game's MQ after Elsweyr. ZOS really, really, REALLY needs to make EVERY new expansion start you on the game's MQ, not put you directly into the newest content regardless of how much it will contradict with previous things to play them out of order. They also need to have some sort of thing that suggests at least a rough order of what order to play the expansions so things make the most sense. People would be free to ignore it and play as they want, but new players have no way of knowing what a 'proper' order of content is, especially when they have the newest expansion's tutorial thrown at them even before the game's actual MQ.

Its not like time stands still all across Tamriel while the Vestige quests in one area. It might technically be how things work in game as a way of letting you experience everything. But the absolute vast majority of things happening in the game could potentially happen in the same year or close to it. It would just require that the Vestige not be present for all of it due to the limitations of travel and the actual distances the game does a poor job of conveying.

From a standpoint that ZOS is selling. The Vestige is involved in all of this and somehow in some instances not involved (if you so choose to skip that content with that particular character). So the time line should rationally move forward. But they will not do that because they seem to think that new players will not be able to reach new zones if they have to experience the old tutorial first. A position which is quite silly.

The original tutorial is actually quite quick and easy to run through and it would not take much to add a screen to prompt the player to spawn into the new zone from there or go to the base game areas once they leave Coldharbor. Most MMOs take the approach of leaving methods of travel to new zones in Capital Cities or the first city a player encounters. But ZOS always has to try it the hard way first.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    The conclusion that I came to, is that the whole thing is designed to teach us that time is not a linear river.
    It is in fact a raging ocean of possibility and probability.

I fully expect to meet myself one of these days running in the opposite direction.
    :o:#:D
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welp, might as well just stroll everywhere then.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in my headcanon, it's been 6 years since the game officially released, making Greymoor and the new threat to Tamriel taking place in 2E587.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • jbranstub17_ESO
    jbranstub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It should be possible to create a mod that lists content in chronological order and even marks the next quest or dungeon for you, if someone felt that passionately about it to do it.
    Ariadne Tristesse - Breton D.Staff DPS Necromancer, Vampire [NA/AD]
    Riewen - Bosmer Bow DPS Warden, Werewolf [NA/EP]
    Haede - Breton DW DPS Templar [NA/DC]
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NewbieOKS wrote: »

I believe he's already answered this one on Reddit and it was implied that everything "presumably" happens at the same time for player to choose where to start and after timeline is also decided and created by them.
    In the end people who care about coherent storytelling will do content in correct order and, as a bonus, are free to build timeline in terms of pasting years to their liking. And others will have their "play everything everywhere anytime" just as marketing likes to put it.

Better than nothing I guess. Still a lot of cringe in the idea of "one year" itself.
  • guarstompemoji
    guarstompemoji
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is fascinating to me. I had read elsewhere on these boards that they had tried improving older content, and learned some sort of lesson that taught them not to do that. Monetary? Fan? I am not sure.

What that points out to me is that advancing the timeline for the full game would have unforseen challenges. Still, I can't help but wonder how one might do it.

It must be done in a way where:
    1. New players do not feel locked out of old storylines.
    2. Old content is brought up to date, throughout the game. This includes NPC dialogues, quests, and so forth.
    3. It must occur in a meaningful, epic storyline that transverses the world to explain the change. Yes, this storyline could occur in one area, but it would not be as satisfying, since everything changes, and one would like to see that change impact in your most favorite of places, yes?

How would you do something like this?

From a project management standpoint?
    1. Multiple, dedicated teams of writers, each coordinated by a knowledgable lore leader. This lore leader would also...
    2. Need to coordinate with teams of software engineers, to develop updates along with the writing, and...
    3. Coordinate with other lore leaders, at regular meetings, while...
    4. Following the leadership of a more highly positioned leader, to ensure the overall vision was kept in place, because while this is going on...
    5. It would require a separate set of teams to work on the world advancement storyline (which probably involves dragons and a catastrophe).
    6. The World Advancement storyline would be the New Content, so all other New Content would need to stop--likely for an extended period of time, when compared to other New Content.

...it sounds like a large undertaking. Now, this is the issue, yeah?

What about new players who would be upset at being locked out of old content? Or players in the middle of old content?

Would ESO need double the number of servers, and end up running two versions of the game simultaneously? More instancing? Everywhere? More servers?

I don't know. ^^; I suspect as fun as the storytelling might be (and I'd love to run a story like that), it would be a technological nightmare.

Far more likely though, I suspect "official advancement" would happen via an ESO2, with the launch of new, updated sections, pieces at a time.

Dang, though. Wouldn't it be a wonder to see--or get to plan? :3
  • MaisonNaevius
    MaisonNaevius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my personal point of view.

From the base game to Orsinium. We are in 2E 582. Everything to do with Planemeld and its end.

From Orsinium, we begin the year 583.
    I consider that we evolve over time. Every IRL year is a new IG year.
    And it makes sense for several things ...

The reunion with certain characters ... The aging and exhaustion of an Abnur Tharn who speaks of an Empire in better health and banished necromancers.

This is what I did and what is applied in RP.
    r7liz1h3a9dn.png

There is consistency and an evolution over time. If everything goes in the same year or we do things in the wrong order, then there is no longer any consistency.
    > Wiki spécialisé sur Cyrodiil / en cour de rédaction <
    https://tescyrodiipedia.blogspot.com/

> Cyrodiil de l'Info <
    https://cyrodiildelinfo.blogspot.com/

- Naevius-
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_LeamonTuttle
    Maki2859 wrote: »
    Here is my personal point of view.

From the base game to Orsinium. We are in 2E 582. Everything to do with Planemeld and its end.

From Orsinium, we begin the year 583.
    I consider that we evolve over time. Every IRL year is a new IG year.
    And it makes sense for several things ...

The reunion with certain characters ... The aging and exhaustion of an Abnur Tharn who speaks of an Empire in better health and banished necromancers.

This is what I did and what is applied in RP.
    r7liz1h3a9dn.png

There is consistency and an evolution over time. If everything goes in the same year or we do things in the wrong order, then there is no longer any consistency.

Hmm kinda make sense
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • MaisonNaevius
    MaisonNaevius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take into account the aging of Abnur Tharn.
    The new health of the Empire and the expulsion of the necromancers.
    But also the change of allegiance of Whiterun and Falkreath.
    Darien Gautier who now serves Méridia.

The game evolves over time ...

It is not a problem if players play the game out of order. Everyone evolves as they see fit ... But that should not have an impact on the official order of events. ;)

Edited by MaisonNaevius on July 20, 2020 5:26PM
    > Wiki spécialisé sur Cyrodiil / en cour de rédaction <
    https://tescyrodiipedia.blogspot.com/

> Cyrodiil de l'Info <
    https://cyrodiildelinfo.blogspot.com/

- Naevius-
  • FabresFour
    FabresFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of ​​everything happening in a single year is not stupid just because it is a lot of things gathered in one time, but also because of the distance between things.

The truth is that the Daedric War is directly connected with Planemeld, the Dragon Season is also associated with Planemeld. Hell, even the current vampire season is associated with Planemeld. Not just because of the characters. (Lyris, imprisoned for a while in Coldharbour, Abnur literally says he has been imprisoned for years), as well as our character only resists Harrowstorms because he has no soul to be mowed.

They really want us to believe that Vestige traveled an entire continent on the main quest when solving alliance problems and ending the Daedridc Invasion, then went to Orsinium to solve the Orsinium ***, then went to the Gold Coast to solve the Gold ***. Coast, then he went to Morrowind, then he went to Clockwork, then he went to Summerset, and then he went to Murkmire, and then he traveled to Elsweyr, and after fighting dragons in Elsweyr he traveled to Skyrim, all in JUST ONE YEAR?

"Ah, but many of these stories are stand-alone, it doesn't have to be Vestige participating"

Do you really believe that? With the Prophet showing up at the end of the Orsinium main quest to talk about the Daedric War? With Naryu's Gold Coast prophecy about Veya?

With Morrowind's connection, Clockwork and Summerset? With Summerset literally stating that you are (or will be in the future) the Vestige through Darien? With Elsweyr starting with Abnur Tharn who was previously trapped in Coldharbour and (SPOILER) dying at the end of the Dragon Season? With the character only surviving the Harrowstorms because the protagonist does not have the soul attached to the body in a conventional way (because he is still a Vestige, despite having recovered the soul).

Honestly. Whenever I think about the timeline, I feel sad, as it seems that Zenimax is simply stepping on those who care about lore and questing.
    @FabresFour - 1970 CP
    Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.