Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

7-8 hour maintenance for what?

Keledus
Keledus
✭✭✭
So we get nearly a day long maintenance without them telling us why.
Great communication, I'd rate it a -9000 out of 10.

Can we get some insight? @ZOS_GinaBruno
PC - EU
  • FafiQ_xP
    FafiQ_xP
    ✭✭✭
    big game needs big maintenance :p
    For the Covenant!
    Options
  • Maxx7410
    Maxx7410
    ✭✭✭✭
    The hamsters where tired and they needed to rest some time.
    Options
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they migrated to windows 2000 servers.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the banner at the top of the forum's main page, maintenance is scheduled for 8 hours, which is a third of a day-- and less than half of a day is not "nearly a day long," so let's try to be patient.

We know from the banner that the Crown Store and the player account system are included in the maintence, so they must be at least part of the reason for the maintenance.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3 hours for failed maintenance + 2 hours to see what went wrong + 3 hours to fix it = 8 hours total

Options
  • Keledus
    Keledus
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    According to the banner at the top of the forum's main page, maintenance is scheduled for 8 hours, which is a third of a day-- and less than half of a day is not "nearly a day long," so let's try to be patient.

We know from the banner that the Crown Store and the player account system are included in the maintence, so they must be at least part of the reason for the maintenance.

''Third of a day'', the day I'm talking about is not 24 hours, take your 8 hour sleep off, leaves 16 hours, so atleast half a day.
    And considering timezones yes its like the entire day for me might be different for you eitherway its besides the point of this whole thread.

Point being, the communication.
    PC - EU
    Options
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that stuff like work/school and sleep are things for most people too, then yes 8 hours is a full day for some people depending on timezone because that's the only chance they have to play. Also at this point it isn't the odd extra long maintenance, EU have now had its last three maintenances be 6 hours or more so if not a full day then most of one.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that they're rolling out changes/upgrades/updates to the underlying technology, across several maintenance cycles.

And by the way, they're scheduling maintenance less often than they used to.
    Options
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you been playing these last two patches this is the worst the game has ever ran
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

Options
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    nothing new why would they break a habbit of a life time
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keledus wrote: »

''Third of a day'', the day I'm talking about is not 24 hours, take your 8 hour sleep off, leaves 16 hours, so atleast half a day.
    And considering timezones yes its like the entire day for me might be different for you eitherway its besides the point of this whole thread.

Whichever time zone you're in, it is scheduled for the dead middle of night on a Tuesday morning when everyone is asleep. Or at least the bulk of the population.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bethesda made them upgrade all the Skeevers powering the servers to Molerats.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    gotta spend 7-8 hours makin sure those Bugs Lag and load screens are in tip top shape for when we get to log in again :D
    Options
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, your question answers your own question, doesn't it?
    They have 7-8 hour maintenance to do maintenance.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

Options
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »

I don't think it's hamsters, I think it's grubby urchins turning handles. Oh and tiny dogs on medieval treadmills. *nods confidently*
    Options
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the communication is "it's maintenance... it will take hours".

I don't necessarily think there's any benefit in ZOS being much more communicative than that. It's not like knowing that they did X, Y and Z will make you feel any better about it.

When there is maintenance that involves actual changes to the game we get patch notes.
    Options
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whichever time zone you're in, it is scheduled for the dead middle of night on a Tuesday morning when everyone is asleep. Or at least the bulk of the population.

It started at 9 and ended 15 in middle of Europe
    Options
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the issues currently at hand and regularly scheduled maintenance's, you're really going to sit there and complain about lengthy down time for maintenance? You complain about performance, you complain about maintenance...which is it going to be or do you just complain when you're inconvenienced?
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love being on the EU server and sleeping all day and can skip the WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO FOR 10+ HOURS
    Options
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't fix any bugs either, like Nunatak and the midyear horror achievement.
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling your rating wouldn't change even if they told you why you'd have to wait 7-8 hours.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    When there is maintenance that involves actual changes to the game we get patch notes.

Not necessarily. There have been plenty of instances where players have called them out on unannounced changes, and they said, “Oh yeah, we did that too.”

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Based on my experience so far, the maintenance window was to increase the duration of loading screens by about 250 times.
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmukkeHeks wrote: »

But it's the North American server...
    Options
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmukkeHeks wrote: »

But it's the North American server...

Not the one that’s placed in Europe ...
    Options
  • dpr999
    dpr999
    ✭✭✭

As long as you want to count a "day" like that, do it right.

You 8 hours for maintenance, plus the 8 hours you spend in bed, so that means it is 16 hours for maintenance. That's your starting point, I believe.

Here is what you left out:

8 hours for your job. Now it's 24 hours.
    1 hour lunch break from your work... 25 hours.
    30 minutes to travel to and from work (minimum) 25.5 hours.
    30 minutes for dinner... 26 hours
    15 minutes for breakfast... 26.25 hours
    30 minutes for shave, shower, brush teeth... 26.75 hours

You mention time zone, which I guess means you went to bed in one time zone and woke up in a different one. I don't know how to calculate that. I also don't know how long you take for bathroom breaks, so I won't estimate that.

Wow, more than a full day to perform maintenance! 26.75 hours! And they said it would be around 8 hours. What rotten communication!

No, the point is not the communication. They did communicate. They are not required to calculate your personal time in coming up with an estimate. But in a way it's about communication: communicating honestly.

If any of my calculations are off by a small amount, be sure to nit-pick that.

Edited by dpr999 on July 7, 2020 4:31PM
    Options
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance doesn't always mean patching. Cleaning, rebooting the severs, defragging if necessary stuff like that is all maintenance.
    Options
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A well deserved rest for the servers. Especially after a huge event like midyear mayhem.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpr999 wrote: »

As long as you want to count a "day" like that, do it right.

You 8 hours for maintenance, plus the 8 hours you spend in bed, so that means it is 16 hours for maintenance. That's your starting point, I believe.

Here is what you left out:

8 hours for your job. Now it's 24 hours.
    1 hour lunch break from your work... 25 hours.
    30 minutes to travel to and from work (minimum) 25.5 hours.
    30 minutes for dinner... 26 hours
    15 minutes for breakfast... 26.25 hours
    30 minutes for shave, shower, brush teeth... 26.75 hours

You mention time zone, which I guess means you went to bed in one time zone and woke up in a different one. I don't know how to calculate that. I also don't know how long you take for bathroom breaks, so I won't estimate that.

Wow, more than a full day to perform maintenance! 26.75 hours! And they said it would be around 8 hours. What rotten communication!

No, the point is not the communication. They did communicate. They are not required to calculate your personal time in coming up with an estimate. But in a way it's about communication: communicating honestly.

If any of my calculations are off by a small amount, be sure to nit-pick that.

r/theydidthemath (ish)
    Options
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »

Once you realize how difficult it is to run servers on hamster power, you understand why this maintenance is needed.

Source:
    https://youtu.be/01iDVrKmi9w
    Options