Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Random Crashes!?

kristofferstrutzenblad16_ESO
I've seen it on some forums that people have complaint about crashes while gaming. I didn't have the problem until yesterday or the day before since the release. Is this a very known issue? What could it depend on? Is it something that is being take care of? Damn how this ruin my gaming experience..
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen it on some forums that people have complaint about crashes while gaming. I didn't have the problem until yesterday or the day before since the release. Is this a very known issue? What could it depend on? Is it something that is being take care of? Damn how this ruin my gaming experience..
    If you check down the threads there are some that cover this notably this one with some detail of the issue which is memory related.

It would help to give some idea of the crashes you are having if you post a copy/ paste of a crash report to that thread with some details of your mac notably OS X version and graphics card. Plus details of what and when it happens in game. In Cyrodiil this will occur more frequently.
  • kristofferstrutzenblad16_ESO
    Oh! Yea I forgot to copy the crash report. I only sent it to Apple :/

It will happen again I presume. So I will update on that thread when it happens.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

It will happen again I presume. So I will update on that thread when it happens.
    Cool. The Apple report will give nothing really But if it is the ZOSCrashReport for the actual game then it does give info we can use.
    Is it something that eventually will be fixed? I'm going crazy here. I thought this computer would run this game without any flaws. Now it seem like it is impossible to play this game with this computer. I don't get it really. I thought there would be a pretty big buffert between the requirements of the game and the iMac specifications. But I was wrong? Or is it something that the developers have to fix in order for Apples computer to fully run the game?
    Moonraker wrote: »

Cool. The Apple report will give nothing really But if it is the ZOSCrashReport for the actual game then it does give info we can use.

Edited by kristofferstrutzenblad16_ESO on April 18, 2014 12:02AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it something that eventually will be fixed? I'm going crazy here. I thought this computer would run this game without any flaws. Now it seem like it is impossible to play this game with this computer. I don't get it really. I thought there would be a pretty big buffert between the requirements of the game and the iMac specifications. But I was wrong? Or is it something that the developers have to fix in order for Apples computer to fully run the game?

You are talking about two different things. The answer to you iMac specification was answered pretty much in the other thread. It's fine to run the game, as I do on mine with high settings.

The memory crash which happens maybe every 2-3-4 hours, as detailed in the thread I linked (best place for this TBH) is a known issue and being worked on. If you post crash report there are suggested then we can give a better idea of the cause. There are plenty of other possible crash causes also.
    You are talking about two different things. The answer to you iMac specification was answered pretty much in the other thread. It's fine to run the game, as I do on mine with high settings.

The memory crash which happens maybe every 2-3-4 hours, as detailed in the thread I linked (best place for this TBH) is a known issue and being worked on. If you post crash report there are suggested then we can give a better idea of the cause. There are plenty of other possible crash causes also.[/quote]

Okay, about the crashes that's good to know. But, I had friends with lower specs on PC and they can run the game without any drop in fps for example. No need to turn down settings etc.

And the thing is, I've turned off hyper threading, which helped. But as the fps meter shows an fps from that ranges from 30/35 to 80 fps now, it doesn't help that much. My experience is that even with an fps over 60 the game feel like the fps is under 30 fps. I don't know why it is like that, since the meter show that my fps is over 50,60 and 70 sometimes. But feel like under 30. In occasions the fps show 50 and up and it actually feel like I have that fps. But only on occasions. That's why I find this so strange, and wonder if it is something that the developers have to fix.

• Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

The memory crash which happens maybe every 2-3-4 hours, as detailed in the thread I linked (best place for this TBH) is a known issue and being worked on. If you post crash report there are suggested then we can give a better idea of the cause. There are plenty of other possible crash causes also.

Okay, about the crashes that's good to know. But, I had friends with lower specs on PC and they can run the game without any drop in fps for example. No need to turn down settings etc.

And the thing is, I've turned off hyper threading, which helped. But as the fps meter shows an fps from that ranges from 30/35 to 80 fps now, it doesn't help that much. My experience is that even with an fps over 60 the game feel like the fps is under 30 fps. I don't know why it is like that, since the meter show that my fps is over 50,60 and 70 sometimes. But feel like under 30. In occasions the fps show 50 and up and it actually feel like I have that fps. But only on occasions. That's why I find this so strange, and wonder if it is something that the developers have to fix.

[/quote]
    If the FPS shows a figure, it's that figure so I'm not sure there is any solution if it 'feels' slower to you.

Already said it all on why the iMac is not coping with it. Sorry, not sure what else to say. It has nothing to do with the Mac client or game generally. Crashes are another thing already mentioned.
    I can honestly say that it wasn't just something that I felt. And I know that because I had to buy Windows to install it thru Bootcamp.Which helped. Now my FPS ranges in town between 45-65 and I the difference is HUGH! So, even though the FPS meter showed up to 70 FPS when running the game thru OS X with the lowest settings, the game runs smoother with ultra settings, with everything on, even AA when I run it thru Windows, with around 45-65 fps. When the FPS meter show 45-ish FPS I can't spot the difference between 45 and 65. When I ran it thru OS X it was the same, but in a bad way, meaning it didn't matter if I had 70 FPS or 25 FPS, it was awful to play it like that.

So, to conclude: If one want to get the full experience of the game one have to get a copy of Windows to run i thru.

I read a lot yesterday on different forums, where a guy who said he worked on the Mac side when developing this game (you were there as well, Macrumors) said a thing which caught my attention. He said that he had played the game on an iMac 2012 (680M) last summer and the game ran smooth on ultra settings, no problems. I can't understand how someone who claim he works on the game for the Mac users can claim such a thing when it obviously doesn't work that way. Maby he played the game with no one on the servers, I don't know. But I think it's sad to say such thing. Some might have bought that version of iMac to play the game. If so, I feel sorry for those people.

But I guess, and this is my own conclusion after talking to Apple support and reading a lot of stuff on different forums, and that is that it's two things which make it possible to run the game properly on an iMac:

1. Mac doesn't use the hardware to its full extent
    2. Developers doesn't put a lot of effort to make games work as good on Apple products as they do on Microsoft products. They even build the games around the Microsoft software and then port it over to Apples products?

This is just my guess. But I don't think I'm far off the truth.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read a lot yesterday on different forums, where a guy who said he worked on the Mac side when developing this game (you were there as well, Macrumors) said a thing which caught my attention. He said that he had played the game on an iMac 2012 (680M) last summer and the game ran smooth on ultra settings, no problems. I can't understand how someone who claim he works on the game for the Mac users can claim such a thing when it obviously doesn't work that way. Maby he played the game with no one on the servers, I don't know. But I think it's sad to say such thing. Some might have bought that version of iMac to play the game. If so, I feel sorry for those people.
    Please post the link to that post where he refers to the iMac 2012 (680M) because I just checked through every post he made on MacRumors and I can't see it there?

I replied to the general Bootcamp thing in your new thread.
    I didn't get what he said totally right, but here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1683358&page=2

4th comment from the bottom of the page.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get what he said totally right, but here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1683358&page=2

4th comment from the bottom of the page.

Dec 28, 2013, 05:43 PM #47
    TheBunny
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NTurner42 View Post
    Just curious what kind of performance I'm gonna see with my MacBook Pro retina with 750m. Hopefully at least medium setting at 45 fps running on an external 1080 monitor. Any kind of input TheBunny? Cannot wait to get a Mac beta invite, have received a couple of Windows beta invites. =P
    Gen 1 MBP-R with a 650M is a good machine.
    It gets about 35-45 FPS in most areas on high at 1400x???
    Which is to say running at Apple's recommended settings.

This is the machine I test with from home and enjoy playing on.

On the down side the fans area going to run at Max and the laptop may burn your hand off ( they get really hot on top left side ). YMMV

I do not know how much faster the 750m is... nor if it can handle the external display at 1900x???

Some of the new iMacs from this summer handle the game full res on ultra beautifully. ( I need to check on the model, I assume it was the 750m GT or better GPU )
    It's pretty clear that he stated that using a first generation MacBook Pro Retina with a Nvidia 650M playing on High in most areas at 1440 x 990 (recommended by Apple) about 35-45 FPS. The Mac he uses for testing at home (they have all models in-house to test I believe) He mentions that it gets hot.

He then refers to the post he replied to about the Nvidia 750M etc.

Last he mentions testing via the late 2013 model iMac with upgrade card/s playing well at Ultra-High, which it does (one I use).

Like he said it was in testing, so internal test server as the Mac beta client was not available until 7 Feb 2014 for mass beta testing, so low population server.

All that seems quite reasonable and pretty much accurate in actual play now.

There is a difference in playing the very high (often) population Megaserver during the launch period now and while testing on PTS for example. It really shows that the biggest impact is the number of other players around for the memory issue (and server issues probably too) As an example, during the last week of PTS testing (not the mass test the limited closed access test server) I think I crashed once in a whole week testing for extended periods of time.

It's not really a realistic reflection of how it is now but probably reflects more how it will be when things quieten down in a one or two month or so, as players level up and are are more at end game play being more spread out.

I hope that clarifies what was posted back then. It doesn't say anything anywhere there, close to what you stated.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 20, 2014 2:32PM
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    You’re right about the games don’t use OS X to the full extent. The biggest drawback IMO is to not use OpenGL 3.2 as the default minimum revision. I hope eventually this will be changed (perhaps, porting to PS4 will help?).
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You’re right about the games don’t use OS X to the full extent. The biggest drawback IMO is to not use OpenGL 3.2 as the default minimum revision. I hope eventually this will be changed (perhaps, porting to PS4 will help?).
    The Lead OS X Engineer posted a while back to the MacRumors ESO thread detailing the current situation and looking forward which covers this in some details. Main point is that, having gone with 10.7.x as the minimum fore launch it makes moving up to 3.2 & 4 < more feasible.

Personally I'm not sure how much that will help performance though it will be interesting to see what it could bring. 64-bit would be my choice of focus especially given the memory constraints with 32-bit. But hopefully it will all come in time.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 21, 2014 3:07AM