Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

what causes that yellow circle on ground

riverdee
riverdee
Soul Shriven
it moves around and won't let me search bodies or open urns or coffers - i just keep mashing buttons till it goes away...
I'm playing a level 10 Breton Magic Warden now, but I think I had this problem on another character too
Thank You for any help or advice

Best Answer

• tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right-clicking should work regardless of which ability it is, if it worked how it used to. It's the game's way of letting you target ground AoE skills - hit the button for the skill, aim by moving the mouse, then either click or hit the button again to fire the skill.

It's only for "ground-targeted AoE" skills - you might have used Grand Healing, Secluded Grove (Warden healing ult with the trees), Winter's Revenge (though I think you're too low level for that).

Did clicking not do anything? If you're on PC.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Answer ✓
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it's a yellow circle outline, that's a ground targeted ability in which you have to tap the button again to confirm it. If it's a solid circle, I've no idea what that is. For the former, you can go to;

Settings>Gameplay, and then look for a setting for "Quick Cast Ground Abilities" and swap that to On. Be warned though, if you have Prevent Attacking Innocents set to "Off", you'll have to be careful about attacking NPCs.
    Edited by Sephyr on June 17, 2020 8:34AM
  • riverdee
    riverdee
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you
    I made the changes and discovered I forgot to turn on the Prevent Attacking Innocents. Whew! Hopefully I haven't killed anyone by mistake.
    The Quick Cast had been set to Automatic.
    However, when the yellow outline shows up I can't get rid of it, and can't loot anything. Mashing buttons doesn't really seem to work, so maybe it is on a timer?
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I switched to Quick Cast On a while ago, but you should be able to left click (light attack) to cast the ability, or right click (block) to not cast it.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • riverdee
    riverdee
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your answer but I'm confused. I don't know which ability it was, but I was mashing everything and it wouldn't go away and didn't seem to do anything except annoy me
    I'm thinking probably it was either Grand Healing or Regeneration but how do you stop it
    I play solo but there were other people in the Andrano Ancestral Tomb.
  • riverdee
    riverdee
    Soul Shriven
    hmmm...think I had Grand Healing on #5 key - must have hit it by mistake, then couldn't get rid of it. I moved it all around but couldn't make it go away. So hitting #5 again should cancel it? Or right click on mouse?

Not using any healing spells, I just chug a potion. Just wanted it on bar to level it for when I figure this game out.

Just trying to solo along and read the guides, hoping I eventually get the hang of it.

Thanks for your answer, I'll try that next time I play :)
  • barigood54_ESO
    One last thought...when you lay down a circle and then want to cancel it, I normally get those cancelled by hitting the left and/or right mouse button, or both at once. That should cancel it.