Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Looking for Templar advice

pjwrwb17_ESO
pjwrwb17_ESO
✭✭
I've got a templar up to level 16 and am not really convinced of the overall survivability (or fun) or my build. What I have is:

- Two Handed Sword (Brawler, Critical Rush, Uppercut) -- it tend to slot the first two
- Aedric Spear (Punc Sweep and Blinding Spear) -- I use both of these a lot
- Dawn's Wrath (Reflective Light and Morphable Nova)
- Restoring Light (Honour the Dead and Morphable Healing Ritual)
- Restoration Staff (Grand Healing, Regeneration)

Give the (for me) huge cost of respec, I have been thinking I don't rally want to commit more points if I am unsure the build is even fun.

I have been wondering if I should go with Sword & Shield, or some other weapon set.

I also play a sorc who uses Destruction Staff & Restoration Staff, so I don't really want to replicate that.

Any suggestions about building a good solo build who can also do main healing (or something useful) would be great.

• reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    it doesnt take long to roll a new toon and get them to 10 to test out builds, classes etc. I thought I would love a DK tank sword and board as that is what I usually play but found it boring, I now adore my templar/full healer. My templar is a great healer with only two damage spells which allow me to solo content mostly easily tho I do have trouble on some bosses or if I pull too many mobs. I am overcoming that by spending more points into health which I had avoided and spent mostly majicka and stamina. I also am putting more points into passives that give me recovery options and health/armor boosts. I wear mostly heavy armor enchanted with majicka runes, tho i wear some light/med pcs to level those up too. I use my restor staff exclusively, but am currently experimenting with a bow and destruct staff for dps boosts (but find them lacking in this early stage) I use AS first two dps spells for my damage. I also have that undead bow bolt spell.. cnat remember the name on my dps bar which is pretty good.

anyway, shes not the strongest but can hold her own and heals like a champ
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • rideh
    rideh
    Survivability in this game comes from your play style. Sure you can just dps and heal yourself through damage taken but that's always going to feel fairly gimped as this game has many more options you could be taking advantage of.

Learn how to bash (it's interrupt) and it works with every weapon type in the game. Learn to block - it matters. Don't stand in the Koolaid and learn how to take advantage of your opponents vulnerabilities. Learn to use debuf's to limit their damage and buffs to increase yours.

A few of my guildies are running 2 handed templars and really enjoy the synergy and dps potential. That said I prefer running my as a resto cloth - healing is always a role I enjoy playing.

Try other character types and specs, I found nightblade siphon / bow to be rather limp but have really enjoyed nightblade resto/siphon, dk sword/board, dk destro, templar destro.
  • SpearDusk
    SpearDusk
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking the Templar so far. In terms of mobs, especially 1 on 1, I feel the templar is very effective. I throw the spear ability (Ardric Spear), then charge (2handed weapon), then 1 heavy attack, and finally focused charge (Ardric Spear). All of these skills interrupt and stun. I use restore sometimes.
  • pjwrwb17_ESO
    pjwrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's nice up to 16, but now I am getting the sense my build does not have the legs to go forward. Hence the question.

Perhaps I should concentrate on Resto staff and be happy with being a utility build who can solo simple stuff.

My two-handed is at 20+ and my resto is at 9, so it represents a bit of work to change track, which is why I was seeking guidance.

I would also go S&B, but again, insights appreciated.
  • pjwrwb17_ESO
    pjwrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭
    As a P.S. I am also playing on a connection that seems to vary from 40ms ping to 300ms ping, so close-in fighting is sometimes a complete joke.