The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you obtain leads for ancestral motifs? Is it treasure maps?

naturebased
naturebased
✭✭✭
I was in deshaan and had deshann treasure map 1 in my inventory. When I opened it I got a lead for both ancestral nord maces and boots. I'm wondering if other leads have to be found within treasure maps? And if so does that mean ALL treasure maps are worth keeping? A month ago I trashed all mine that werent zones with decent overland sets.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in deshaan and had deshann treasure map 1 in my inventory. When I opened it I got a lead for both ancestral nord maces and boots. I'm wondering if other leads have to be found within treasure maps? And if so does that mean ALL treasure maps are worth keeping? A month ago I trashed all mine that werent zones with decent overland sets.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/524115/antiquities-leads-lead-locations-uber-thread/p1

Seems that the Motif leads might exclusively come from Treasure Map Chests, with 2 Per zone (except Khenarthi's Roost, which has 4 because there is only one Starter Zone for the Dominion).
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/524115/antiquities-leads-lead-locations-uber-thread/p1

Seems that the Motif leads might exclusively come from Treasure Map Chests, with 2 Per zone (except Khenarthi's Roost, which has 4 because there is only one Starter Zone for the Dominion).

Wow treasure maps are 100% worth holding onto now
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »

Wow treasure maps are 100% worth holding onto now

The motif styles aren’t the “cat’s meow” in terms of actually wanting display them on your character, IMO.

But, for completionist players who need them for their style collection, this will likely not matter.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    Are the leads on a 24 hour cooldown? I did a bunch of treasure maps in different zones and only got a lead on the very first...
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the leads on a 24 hour cooldown? I did a bunch of treasure maps in different zones and only got a lead on the very first...

No. There is no timer. I collected them all just a few days after. Release.

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the ancestral motif chapters BoP, or are they able to be sold?

I realize the leads are "bound," but can you sell the motif chapters that you find with the leads?
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I realize the leads are "bound," but can you sell the motif chapters that you find with the leads?

The motifs can be sold.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

The motifs can be sold.

Awesome.

@Inklings I'm on console and am quickly running out of mailbox, storage coffer and alt inventory space from stocking up on cheap maps right now. Man on man do I wish the treasure maps stacked like recipes/surveys.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The motifs can be sold.

Awesome.

@Inklings I'm on console and am quickly running out of mailbox, storage coffer and alt inventory space from stocking up on cheap maps right now. Man on man do I wish the treasure maps stacked like recipes/surveys.

It's only the base zone maps that drop them. The chapter. DLC and Craglorn zones don't.
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The motifs can be sold.

Awesome.

It's only the base zone maps that drop them. The chapter. DLC and Craglorn zones don't.

Thought not the best source, non base zone maps can drop other types of leads though as well.

Also for anyone that is buying maps to stock up, i bought 5 maps of each base zone and it was enough to get me all the motifs.

Edited by Inklings on June 8, 2020 5:58PM
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inklings wrote: »

The motifs can be sold.

Awesome.

Thought not the best source, non base zone maps can drop other types of leads though as well.

Also for anyone that is buying maps to stock up, i bought 5 maps of each base zone and it was enough to get me all the motifs.

Lucky you. Yesterday I did 120 maps (40 for each faction) and was only able to get 90% of the orc-motif. From the ancestral elf and nord I was only able to get 2 leads each (so, only 1 chest from each faction had leads in it) :confounded: . The RNG seems to be really bad for me :neutral: .

Best regards
    Shadow
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess it's a good thing that I never took the time to collect all the treasure maps that are stowed in my storage and on all my alts. I would sell any Cyrodiil ones, but all the others I just held onto (though I did sell a bunch a couple years ago). Many are base game, but I also have a LOT of NE/SE from dragons.

Time to start collecting those base game maps!
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its no wonder treasure maps have shot up in price. :p

ZaTujNo.png
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does any particular map number drop them or any? For instance, three Bleakrock Treasure Map I dropped nothing but a Bleakrock Treasure Map II did. Same with Shadowfen and Bal Foyen. Both nothing in I, but dropped in II. Or is that just coincidence?
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does any particular map number drop them or any? For instance, three Bleakrock Treasure Map I dropped nothing but a Bleakrock Treasure Map II did. Same with Shadowfen and Bal Foyen. Both nothing in I, but dropped in II. Or is that just coincidence?

From my experience, it takes roughly 1 to 4 treasure maps to get the motif leads to drop so I'm guessing it is a 20-25% chance. I don't think it matters what number the map is.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's random. I've gotten leads from both maps in Bleakrock, Betnikh and Bal Foyen. I've opened four or five chests in a row with no leads, then also gotten motif leads from three straight chests (after scrying/excavating the initial set of leads).

It's also possible to get partial motif leads if you haven't completed the full set before opening another chest. (IE: I was doing Khenarthi's Roost that provides 4 motif leads and had already scryed all four leads but only excavated two when I happened to be in the vicinity of one of the less convenient treasure chests (II/IV) so I went ahead and dug it up. It provided me with the leads for the two motifs I had just excavated, but not for the two still sitting in my scryed-but-not-excavated queue.)

In an extremely limited sample (I'm on console), I have received leads in about 33% of the treasure map chests I've opened. ~90% of those have been for the zone's motif chapters, the other ~10% for a purple furnishing. Last night was an exceptionally productive night in Deshaan where 4 out of 6 chests provided the motif leads.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few 100k gold later and still no leads from Eastmarch, rift, or stonefalls...
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few 100k gold later and still no leads from Eastmarch, rift, or stonefalls...

So far, Greenshade has been my nemesis zone. Think I’m about 7 chests in without a single motif lead. Most of the other zones I’ve worked through are giving me the lead one the first or second chest.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either I've begun encountering truly awful luck, or ZOS has dropped the drop rate on these through the floor. My first couple of outings with treasure maps were quite productive. Today, I went out with 29 maps and had pages in two of them--and those two were in the same zone, so were the same two pages! And I already had them.

I have to say, ZOS did an astounding job of turning joy into disappointment for me today.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on July 1, 2020 12:40PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually do the treasure chests anyway, but with the motifs added I'll start up a weekly treasure chest/survey run with my crafter. I'll still trash some of the really remote TCs, but I'll make more of an effort on the easier remote chests. And over the course of 6 months (or even a year), my crafter will have passively collected all the motifs.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Ryori729
    Ryori729
    Had a similar experience to Shadow above.. Started going through AD and got the leads in Khenarthi's, Auidon and Grahtwood within 2 or 3 chests in each zone.Then hit a hard wall at Greenshade. 0-5 there. 0-6 in Malabal Tor, 0-3 in Reapers. Moved on to Stros and 0-5. So no motif leads in 19 straight chests. At a 20% chance that's a 1 in a hundred run. So possible of course but unlikely.

I would be willing to buy maps even with the hiked up prices, but at 0-19 I'm just buying decon items.

Update: Tried a couple of other toons and other zones. Got some maps from the Guild Stores. Got the leads from the first pull in Stros. Then haven't had a motif pull since. 0-2 in Greenshade, 0-4 Glenumbra, 0-3 Stormhaven, 0-2 Stonefalls, 0-3 Bleak Rock, 0-4 Bal Foyen, 0-3 Eastmarch. So I am now 1 for 40.

The odd thing is that I did get a 3 or 4 leads, just not for the motifs. They were for items which, based on other's work on leads, dropped from other sources, not the maps.

Edited by Ryori729 on July 6, 2020 2:28PM