Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So you do a quest one level below you and get MINUS -900% experience?

DarkWombat
DarkWombat
✭✭✭✭
This is insane. Forget staying ahead of the zone, it wont happen. Zenimax made sure of this. It is to keep you playing longer.

If you are lvl 14 a lvl 14 quest should give you around 800 to 1000 exp.
Trying turning in a lvl 13 quest when you are lvl 14, you get like 100 exp.
This is way too big of a difference to me.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's not 900%, but no need to nitpick I guess.

I think they want people to be at certain levels for each quest, to keep the story line engaging. If you're 4 levels over the questline and instantly killing everything, it's not going to be very engaging to most people.

People who want to just level up quickly have found much better ways to do so than questing. Namely, killing stuff. A few minutes killing enemies will give you as much XP as a quest you spend 30 minutes on.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • xshadowclawzz12
    That's pretty stupid... ecpesially because there are some people with really weak builds out there (ecpesially at the start) that has a very hard time doing quests and getting through the game, and they need to do quests that is a lvl or two lower than their character level to be able to do them. However, if they do that, they will barely get any xp at all and there for can't move forward and gain experience and levels.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Well that's not 900%, but no need to nitpick I guess.

I clicked this thread expecting to find out how to get +900% exp...
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Billy_Gnosis
    I've never had a problem with the experience yielded from quests. I did the quests as I discovered them, and leveled up fairly quickly. Pace yourself.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 3 to 4 levels higher than every quest I did from 1 to 50 and so were most of my friends. try picking up chests and doing random events I don't know
  • Grubsnik
    Grubsnik
    Not all quest give the same "basic" xp yield. Doing a simple "run around town (and maybe encounter a single enemy)" doesn't offer the same xp rewards as a quest where you have to go through 12 steps and take down at least one hard boss as part of the questline. So maybe you were just turning in a very easy quest and got dissappointed with the outcome.

I know I normally overlevel the quests I do because I like to just grind everything I see for xp while I go exploring. But I still get reasonable rewards from quests. If I should be getting 10 times as much I'd be getting more than a full level from every quest I did.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grubsnik wrote: »
    Not all quest give the same "basic" xp yield. Doing a simple "run around town (and maybe encounter a single enemy)" doesn't offer the same xp rewards as a quest where you have to go through 12 steps and take down at least one hard boss as part of the questline. So maybe you were just turning in a very easy quest and got dissappointed with the outcome.

I know I normally overlevel the quests I do because I like to just grind everything I see for xp while I go exploring. But I still get reasonable rewards from quests. If I should be getting 10 times as much I'd be getting more than a full level from every quest I did.

This.

Smaller quests have lower xp rewards. For example, a quest to return an item found in a public dungeon will yield very little xp.
    ----
    Murray?
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkWombat wrote: »
    This is insane. Forget staying ahead of the zone, it wont happen. Zenimax made sure of this. It is to keep you playing longer.

This number seems highly dubious to me.

While it's true that there are diminishing returns after certain level barriers, that's only if you're 3+ levels over the quest, not one. One level difference should not affect it at all. I suspect it's as @Grubsnik pointed out; you are comparing two quests that had different XP rewards in the first place.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    And you know the quest should have paid out 800 - 1000 how? Not all quests give out that much, the easy run over there and say "Hi" type quests give minimal rewards. Usually its the follow up quests from the person you said Hi to that give you experience.
  • Vraok
    Vraok
    DarkWombat wrote: »

This number seems highly dubious to me.

While it's true that there are diminishing returns after certain level barriers, that's only if you're 3+ levels over the quest, not one. One level difference should not affect it at all. I suspect it's as @Grubsnik pointed out; you are comparing two quests that had different XP rewards in the first place.

The problem with the quests being too low for my level happens all the time tho.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/83152/this-is-seriously-godawful#latest
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    We need a better information to discuss this topic, you need to show how the same quest gives different XP depending on the level.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You only get diminishing returns when you are over the 5 level limit. Same thing with your ultimate not charging anymore, and said <5 enemies giving you no loot.[Mammoths seem to be an exception...]

Makes sense... except for the no ultimate charge, that is broken and gimps the player. That needs to be removed from the game's existence.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is deceiving, and as others have pointed out, has false information. I am constantly 2-3 levels above any quests I do. If I were getting continued diminished returns from quests, eventually the quests would catch up to my level. Instead, I steadily stay above them, and not just a single level above them.

At 3 levels, there does some to be a bit less experience... and I believe the quest will also turn green in your quest log at this point. At 5 levels below I want to say you get little to no experience and the quest turns grey.

So at 4 levels above (quest is level 33, I'm 37) the quest is still yellow. Previous assumption was wrong. Maybe at 5 levels it's green. I've only ever had one quest turn grey.
    Edited by Lalai on April 20, 2014 12:13AM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    Lalai wrote: »
    This thread is deceiving, and as others have pointed out, has false information. I am constantly 2-3 levels above any quests I do. If I were getting continued diminished returns from quests, eventually the quests would catch up to my level. Instead, I steadily stay above them, and not just a single level above them.

Agreed. Same story here. And I don't even know how much XP I'm getting or will get, nor could I care even the slightest bit. I just do everything, whether it would be grey, green, white or yellow... It's just so much fun!

"Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"