The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Can't You Start the Latest Chapter Tutorial With New PC If You Have ESO??

KyleTheYounger
KyleTheYounger
✭✭✭
Seriously. What is the point of paying for ESO Plus if you CAN'T experience the new tutorials created for each new Chapter ZoS? Especially since you have to wait a year before your ESO Plus subscription allows you to play any of the new Chapter content? WTH is the logic to that?

Why can't you change the default game design that forces ppl to play whatever new tutorials which come with the new Chapters? Where is the player freedom of choice (especially if they're paying?) Why is it only players who bought Elsweyr get to play the new Chapter tutorial? When ESO Plus members (who also pay to access the Chapters in addition to other expensive paywall content like DLC) get stuck starting the game with whatever Chapter DLC they last bought for the game?

For me that Chapter was Summerset. Imagine my disappointment when -- after taking all that time to create my lore friendly Khajiit -- I discovered I was being forced to begin the game in Summerset of all places. So really missed out on the unique opportunity to have my Khajiit Templar experience the wonder of his homeland for the first time.

This is a completely foolish design since logically, the game should've given vet players the choice to start in the Wailing Prison or whatever tutorials for whatever existing Chapters/DLC their accounts have access to. Because technically, they paid for this privilege, right? And if this isn't possible, then how hard would it have been to let players access the new tutorial as follow up to the Prologue side quest line? You could've easily made this a solo quest experience (like the MQ) and leveled all friendly/enemy NPCs to the players existing level.

IMO the Elsweyr Chapter tutorial is by far your best and most intuitive tutorial to date. Why do you continue doing anti fan base game design like this ZoS??
Edited by KyleTheYounger on May 29, 2020 10:29PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A choice of tutorials would be better than forcing any one tutorial on someone. Interesting to hear though that ESO Plus DLC access doesn't give access to Chapter tutorials - that's something we'll make a note of somewhere on UESP.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you buy Greymoor?
    Chapters aren't included in ESO+, and its been that way since Morrowind.

(Yes, Chapters are a transparent attempt to charge subscribers for content that totally should have been released as DLC equivalent to Orsinium, but that ship sailed with the success of Morrowind.)
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want your character to experience content in a chapter, get the chapter. Pretty straightforward.

Maybe hold back the outrage for things that are actually outrageous.
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    Did you buy Greymoor?

(Yes, Chapters are a transparent attempt to charge subscribers for content that totally should have been released as DLC equivalent to Orsinium, but that ship sailed with the success of Morrowind.)

Good lord. I had absolutely no idea this was true. Now there's a frighteningly deep crease on my brain.

This whole paywall thing has gotten to the point where it's just now plain repugnant. Like a black fly in your Chardonnay :(

Guess I need to expedite the amount of time left in my 3 month ESO Plus membership. There is no way in hell I'm going to buy the Greymoor DLC just to get access to the Elsweyr tutorial that's over a year old. NVM the TWO new Greymoor skill lines which happen to be the only content I'm interested in playing for the new Chapter. :#

DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    If you want your character to experience content in a chapter, get the chapter. Pretty straightforward.

Why isn't the eye gouging skull duggery what VaranisArano pointed out not outrageous?

Is this because you've been brainwashed into accepting the "less is more" by ZoS as the new hypernorm for MMO gaming?

Why can't you see how completely absurd (and coincidentally avaricious) the ESO game design is? The fact it seems a AAA dev the likes of ZoS didn't seem to care enough about their fan base to make something as simple as tutorial for a new DLC? Which they could've easily made available as an optional side quest? Exactly the way they introduce the new Chapters with the Prologues in the store to date?
    Edited by KyleTheYounger on May 31, 2020 12:54AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Did you buy Greymoor?

Good lord. I had absolutely no idea this was true. Now there's a frighteningly deep crease on my brain.

This whole paywall thing has gotten to the point where it's just now plain repugnant. Like a black fly in your Chardonnay :(

Guess I need to expedite the amount of time left in my 3 month ESO Plus membership. There is no way in hell I'm going to buy the Greymoor DLC just to get access to the Elsweyr tutorial that's over a year old. NVM the TWO new Greymoor skill lines which happen to be the only content I'm interested in playing for the new Chapter. :#

DaveMoeDee wrote: »

Why isn't the eye gouging skull duggery what VaranisArano pointed out not outrageous?

Is this because you've been brainwashed into accepting the "less is more" by ZoS as the new hypernorm for MMO gaming?

Why can't you see how completely absurd (and coincidentally avaricious) the ESO game design is? The fact it seems a AAA dev the likes of ZoS didn't seem to care enough about their fan base to make something as simple as tutorial for a new DLC? Which they could've easily made available as an optional side quest? Exactly the way they introduce the new Chapters with the Prologues in the store to date?

If you look at my post history, I was vocally in the 'this is a bait-and-switch' camp when they introduced chapters as a way of getting around all DLC being included in the sub. They clearly went back on past claims about how the sub would work. But by the time the second chapter came around, it was old news and established. People who found the practice repulsive and unacceptable should have left already. Those who stuck around implicitly accepted it.

The problem that lingers is the confusing way they advertise these things. ESO+ includes crown store DLC, but that is a meaningless phrase to new players who don't understand that the chapter about to come out won't be available in the crown store and, thus, not included.

I don't care what is normal for an MMO as I am not an MMO person. For any game, you have to decide what it is worth to you and act according.
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    The problem that lingers is the confusing way they advertise these things. ESO+ includes crown store DLC, but that is a meaningless phrase to new players who don't understand that the chapter about to come out won't be available in the crown store and, thus, not included.

Not sure I understand what you mean by that there. After a year, ESO+ includes the latest released Chapter by default. So now the Elsweyr game region has finally been unlocked and available to ESO+ members to play for free. The only thing missing is the new tutorial if you start over with a new PC.

Anyhow, thanks for clarifying that. And no, I lack that attention to detail to go rummaging through forum member posts on their viewpoints. So my apologies for coming across as snappy.

But the whole ESO+ membership cost v. drip feed Chapter marketing went from barely tolerant to complete indigestion. And it doesn't help there are tens of thousands of players keep spending thousands of dollars in the store. Thereby reinforcing and proving to ZoS their overpriced and marginal content release business model is working just fine. While neglecting the core game play features and performance of what is an aging, half a decade old game.

It's obscene money grabs like this which is the reason why I'm still playing a heavily modded customized game in Skyrim to date. You're free to enjoy the game you want. And most importantly, have the player choice to be spared the extreme disappointment of being deprived of game play features that you want in your game.
    Edited by KyleTheYounger on May 31, 2020 3:47AM