Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Boundless Storm vs Channeled Acceleration in MAGSORC

Asdara
Asdara
✭✭✭✭✭
Lightning-Form-Boundless-Storm-I.jpg
2njn76nbythu.png

Damage wise, is there anyone or a theorycrafter here that could help me?
- On one side Boundless storm give a nice resit buff/decent AOE DMG and some speed for 23 sec
- On the other side you get 10% spell crit/ less speed as boundless storm and some use of passiv from the psijic skill line (shield while blocking etc) but a cast time and a longer duration (36 sec)

Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
2: Spellcrafting.
3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
4: Summon weapon.
5: Change the Housing item limit.
6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • Sitja
    Sitja
    The channeled acceleration is advised in most of builds because of the minor force buff. In PvE groups players should be around 60% critical chance and they stack critical modifiers like minor force, shadow mundus, major force from agressive horn skill.
    Those two skills have nothing in common except movement speed buff. The first skill is defensive, the second is agressive and not often used for its movement speed buff.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sitja wrote: »
    The channeled acceleration is advised in most of builds because of the minor force buff. In PvE groups players should be around 60% critical chance and they stack critical modifiers like minor force, shadow mundus, major force from agressive horn skill.
    Those two skills have nothing in common except movement speed buff. The first skill is defensive, the second is agressive and not often used for its movement speed buff.

They both add dmg to our build, in that sens i wonder whats the best dmg output for both.
    Tldr is 10% spell crit better than 1019 dmg/sec?
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
  • wylievc
    wylievc
    ✭✭✭
    -Damage wise Channeled Acceleration is more.
    -Boundless Storm gives major resists, good for PvP and solo PvE content, and does not give major speed for 23 sec, only 6 sec. The AoE damage as insignificant compared to crit damage buff, but will proc your Critical Surge healing.
    -Channeled Acceleration gives crit damage buff, good for pure damage, and more than double the duration of major speed than Boundless Storm.
    -Boundless Storm is for defense/utility, Channeled Acceleration is for damage/utility.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can stay in melee range for the full duration of Boundless Storm then it ends up very similar to Channeled Acceleration for DPS. The single target damage contribution of Boundless is usually around 3-3.5% of total, while the Minor Force buff from Accel is approx 4%. However, this does not tell the full story. Boundless is instant cast and takes 1 GCD, while Accel requires 2 GCD’s (fewer spammables and chances to proc frags) and a skipped Light Attack between them. Boundless also offers slightly better offensive passives for slotting it (2% Spell Damage).

I’ve come to the conclusion that Acceleration is better for a short fight where you can cast it once before starting and then just let it run for the full 36s (or 50s if you pre-buff with Jorvulds then swap gear). As soon as you have to recast Channeled Accel it becomes worse than Boundless.

That being said, using Boundless assumes melee, and if you are within 5m of the boss then you wouldn’t typically use Accel. Instead you’d use Barbed Trap, which gives the same 4% DPS from Minor Force while also doing slightly over 1% of your damage itself. Barbed Trap is instant cast, and costs Stamina so it’s essentially free for your Magicka sustain. This makes Barbed Trap marginally better than Boundless for a long fight. Ideally you would slot both, if you don’t need a shield or to provide the Conduit synergy for Alkosh.

Basically the only time Channeled Accel is useful is:
    - Short fight where you never recast it in combat (also fights with short phases like Lokkestiiz)
    - Pure ranged position where you can’t use Trap or Boundless
    - If you really need the Psijic Shield passive to survive, and already have Major Resistance buffs from a Warden with Frost Cloak.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on May 28, 2020 9:24PM
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can stay in melee range for the full duration of Boundless Storm then it ends up very similar to Channeled Acceleration for DPS. The single target damage contribution of Boundless is usually around 3-3.5% of total, while the Minor Force buff from Accel is approx 4%. However, this does not tell the full story. Boundless is instant cast and takes 1 GCD, while Accel requires 2 GCD’s (fewer spammables and chances to proc frags) and a skipped Light Attack between them. Boundless also offers slightly better offensive passives for slotting it (2% Spell Damage).

I’ve come to the conclusion that Acceleration is better for a short fight where you can cast it once before starting and then just let it run for the full 36s (or 50s if you pre-buff with Jorvulds then swap gear). As soon as you have to recast Channeled Accel it becomes worse than Boundless.

That being said, using Boundless assumes melee, and if you are within 5m of the boss then you wouldn’t typically use Accel. Instead you’d use Barbed Trap, which gives the same 4% DPS from Minor Force whole also doing slightly over 1% of your damage itself. Barbed Trap is instant cast, and costs Stamina so it’s essentially free for your Magicka sustain. This makes Barbed Trap marginally better than Boundless for a long fight. Ideally you would slot both, if you don’t need a shield or to provide the Conduit synergy for Alkosh.

Basically the only time Channeled Accel is useful is:
    - Short fight where you never recast it in combat (also fights with short phases like Lokkestiiz)
    - Pure ranged position where you can’t use Trap or Boundless
    - If you really need the Psijic Shield passive to survive, and already have Major Resistance buffs from a Warden with Frost Cloak.

Thank you sir! thats exactly what i was looking for!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run Boundless Storm in PVP, VMA, and in bad pug groups where I feel that I am going to need another shield. In other words, I use it defensively, not offensively. For offense in decent and above groups, I'll use Channeled.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get these photos from? They are so old. Boundless storm no longer is that good.
    It grants the speedbuff for 4 seconds and it's a bit cheaper now.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.