Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Do YOU want this?

Grenoir
Grenoir
Here is the Image I am going to reference: ESO_Rant.jpg

forum image hosting

So I am talking about what we had in Beta. In third person the character would actually move his torso with weapon drawn at where you would point the crosshair (f. eg. ground, sky, someone`s face etc.) AND would swing in that particular direction (low, high in the center). What happened near the end of the beta is that Developers just decided to take it out and I think there is no victory in doing that. Now what happens is no matter how high you point your crosshair in third person your character would still hit dead straight in front of him/her. (which is basically shown in the image).

The purpose of this post is to make this fact known to new players and to get feedback from you guys whether you would like this feature to be present in this game.

You could say: well boy! they took it out so WTF are we doing here.
And I would answer that if its that easy to take something great like this out of the game, they better have a way to put it back in :wink: Besides its someone`s (animator`s) work wasted for nothing.

What do you think? I believe we have influence and if we talk ZOS will listen :smiley:

UPDATE:
I have an idea! If the devs don't want to put this back they should at least consider this:
when you fight and enemy of your height the stance should be regular (direction of your attacks)
if the opponent is taller/bigger or just higher then the attacks should be aimed above the head
finally, if you are fighting a mudcrab the direction of the attacks should be tilted downwards.

What do u ppl think?
Edited by Grenoir on April 19, 2014 12:59AM
  • Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    I barely noticed but something about character movement did seem a little different, maybe it was this? I just put it from my mind and kept playing. I don't think it's very important but I might like to see it come back, maybe as an option in personal player settings: "allow dynamic character view" or something like that.
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm i never actually noticed, mainly as i play in 1st person usually, hopefully they might add it back in later along with FOV slider
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    I understand its not that big of a deal especially if you play in first person but it added so much to the game. Just like all these great interaction animations do: open chests, wardrobes, quest specific interactions, etc. I just don't understand why they would take something like this out. Maybe it was a technical reason but I just wish I had known. Then I would rest easy.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they took it out there was a reason behind it. I don't remember what it was like with it in so I couldn't say if there were visual issues (like continuing to face down at objects on the ground randomly or something) or what.
  • Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    It's tiny details like this that make the difference between a good game and an amazing game. If it counts for anything, I vote bring it back.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, if I understand correctly, this would have meant that while fighting a skeever or mudcrab I'd actually hit it with my weapons, instead of the air above it? Because that's something that annoys me.
  • katamuro11b16_ESO
    I did think something was off but so far for me the biggest annoyance is that in 3rd person sometimes when you aim it doesnt connect even when it should.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only animation or more function who annoys me in the game is the jumping.
    Almost impossible to jump in the direction you want, in short its very hard to jump up on an one square meter object or smaller.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    Melian wrote: »
    So, if I understand correctly, this would have meant that while fighting a skeever or mudcrab I'd actually hit it with my weapons, instead of the air above it? Because that's something that annoys me.

Exactly That would be possible my friend. And it was sometime ago, now youre just swinging in the air...

• Grenoir
    Grenoir

Shimond wrote: »
    If they took it out there was a reason behind it. I don't remember what it was like with it in so I couldn't say if there were visual issues (like continuing to face down at objects on the ground randomly or something) or what.

I have played for hours having that function in Beta (back in winter) there were no bugs with that systems. That's why I was shocked it was taken down.
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't play the beta, so never experienced this, but it sounds like a nice touch. I'm having tons of fun with the game so far but the character animations do look a bit stiff compared to, say, GW2.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    @lecarcajou_ESO‌

totally agree about animations. Running and walking are the worst. Running is hilariously silly and walking is very bland and slow :(
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Grenoir wrote: »
    @lecarcajou_ESO‌

totally agree about animations. Running and walking are the worst. Running is hilariously silly and walking is very bland and slow :(
    i agree whenever I see a npc walking I think they have carrot up their ...

ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    Check the update in the original thread! Please :)
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember right, didn't they update animations around the time of the last open beta weekend to add more 'impact'? Maybe it's just a matter of not yet being able to re-enable it until they update it for the changes.
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    @sir_dunnub17_ESO@‌

Yes it was taken out close to the end of the beta testing (dont remember the exact week).
    I Hope it is so. But given the fact that they released a game without it I thought they decided to take it away permanently. If that is the case I do not understand why and think they should reconsider putting it in.
    Edited by Grenoir on April 19, 2014 2:29AM
  • Soul_of_Wrath
    Soul_of_Wrath
    ✭✭
    What do u ppl think?

I think this game has bigger things to worry about than this.
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    What do u ppl think?

I think this game has bigger things to worry about than this.

So what? Am I supposed to wait until the bugs are done with and all exploits are sealed? It will never happen, that's how games are. Meanwhile I am trying to suggest something that would make this game better for everyone.

• BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? I do understand why they took it out yes, but the reason behind it wasn't that necessary in my opinion. I think it would have just given more depth to our combat system and realism of course. It is a bit bland that no matter how high you aim or low, it basically still hits forward.
  • Grenoir
    Grenoir
    I really wouldn't mind the fact that its taken out if not for the enemies: most of the game`s adversaries are either large creatures or floating ones (flame atron, wraiths and spirits)or critters (crabs, rats, crocodiles, scamps and so on) so it really makes no sense not to have this in game as 2 out of 3 times I am fighting an opponent that is considerably higher or smaller than me.
    Additionally imagine a situation where you fight a humanoid on the staircase and unless youre in first person (which is not that great now) you are either hitting the feet of the opponent or are mindlessly swingin in the air while he crushes your nuts ;)
    Edited by Grenoir on April 19, 2014 9:29PM