The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Wardens PvE still weak?

MagicalLija
MagicalLija
✭✭✭✭✭
Are they going to be making a comeback this patch, or are they still in the dumpster?

Most of the Greymoor builds focus on just utilising the blood for blood ability as the main spammable, I'm not a massive of the risk for reward kinda set up so I would have probably swapped it out for elemental weapon/dive, how much would that have impacted the dps?

Magicka Wardens PvE still weak? 42 votes

They're viable for Vet Dungeons/Trials (As good as other mag classes, obviously not Nb ;) )
38%
Suddwrathdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOAstridstevenyaub16_ESOkmufc77b16_ESODerraAttackopsnCerboltAlohaCzekoludeksatanioThePedgetonyblackSuna_Ye_SunnabeA_mean_old_catmiguelcura 16 votes
They're Okay -- Still not the best though.
35%
Stxxaraanlolo_01b16_ESOvalidifyedneb18_ESOVaohTheHsNvanwilderDark_Lord_KuroOlupajmibanancarlos424WildRaptorXStarlight_KnightIron_BlurrOzbyWyrd88 15 votes
Kinda garbage.
9%
AlienatedGoatfierackasCurious_DeathSiantar 4 votes
Nothing has changed.
14%
GERMANO-THE-IMPERIALJanTanhideWrathOfInnosTivnaelOlumoGarbagJayroo 6 votes
Other.
2%
esp1992 1 vote
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2FX8xub2Q

Liko's parse. 95k with full hp and vamp spammable. (No real cheese with Toggle or Mythic Gloves).

Haven't looked at every one of his videos for full comparison, but at first glance, it seems to be the strongest mag class out of the one's he's posted.

Silly poll though, they've always been viable for Vet Dungeons/Trials. It's more about the DPS totem pole than whether or not they can complete content. No class is garbage in this game.

Edit: Also, no matter how high their DPS gets, there will always be solid arguements against them because they rely on AI from a melee bear pet. If the AI is unreliable in end game content, a high dummy parse won't mean much in actual practice.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on May 23, 2020 6:48PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly poll though, they've always been viable for Vet Dungeons/Trials. It's more about the DPS totem pole than whether or not they can complete content. No class is garbage in this game.

Yeah, I know, I think i meant it more in like, will a noob like me be able to compete with a decent rotation without developing carpal tunnel in my hands, but thank you for the response, I would really look forward to finally be able to have a proper Druid kinda character
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, I know, I think i meant it more in like, will a noob like me be able to compete with a decent rotation without developing carpal tunnel in my hands, but thank you for the response, I would really look forward to finally be able to have a proper Druid kinda character

Well they're probably the best for low APM play. The bear does a huge portion of your damage which only involves hitting your ultimate once every 20 seconds or so. Shalks is a high damage ability and you only need to hit it every 3 seconds.

It's been a long time since Wardens have been really weak.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2FX8xub2Q

Liko's parse. 95k with full hp and vamp spammable. (No real cheese with Toggle or Mythic Gloves).

Haven't looked at every one of his videos for full comparison, but at first glance, it seems to be the strongest mag class out of the one's he's posted.

Edit: Also, no matter how high their DPS gets, there will always be solid arguements against them because they rely on AI from a melee bear pet. If the AI is unreliable in end game content, a high dummy parse won't mean much in actual practice.

tbf I think Liko and the guys that he works with on his vids are the ones that need nerfs, pretty sure they have some sort of IRL buffs we are not aware of because they pull off some amazing parses

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing has changed.
    In terms of numbers Warden is pretty close to other DPS classes. In terms of group utility they are among the worst. Wardens are needed in trial groups mainly for Frost Cloak and Minor Toughness (typically procced with Blood Altar), and to a lesser extent the Harvest synergy and Minor Intellect/Endurance. Giving up 2-4 bar slots and casting these in a rotation means sacrificing a lot of DPS, so they are much better assigned to a Warden tank or healer. Once the necessary Warden support is present, an additional DPS adds nothing unique. The only reasonable expectation is Minor Vuln (from Fetcher) but this is an easy debuff for anyone to provide.

I’m also not a fan of Blood for Blood on a Warden. You’re giving up an Animal Companion passive to slot it, so the benefit is less than other classes. I’ve actually had the most success on Warden DPS by not running a spammable at all, so the addition of a new spammable doesn’t synergize well with Warden. Warden is also the most pure ranged class, with 0 class abilities requiring you to step into melee distance (maybe Barbed Trap if you use that over Channeled Accel), and using Blood for Blood means staying within 5m for the entire fight. Sometimes this has no downside, but in fights with anti-stack mechanics melee positions are very valuable,

When the Bear works, Warden can pull similar numbers to other classes. The issue is that other classes usually bring something necessary to a group composition. So Warden will typically be competing with whatever is currently meta for a full parse position. Things like Necro (Major Vuln), Sorc (Minor Prophecy) and Dragonknight (Engulfing Flames) are essential in every group.

That being said, Templar and Nightblade are in the same predicament as Warden. Templar healer or tank is needed for Power of the Light, so a Magplar just brings redundant Minor Sorcery. And Magicka groups don’t care much about Nightblade’s Minor Savagery. These 3 classes are unique in their ability to use Master Architect (though it is best on Nightblade), but even that utility may be going away if Roaring Opportunity becomes the new source of Major Slayer.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on May 24, 2020 12:08AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no.

Yes, they’ll be stronger than in previous patches because Bloodthirsty will now buff the Bear’s damage.

No, they still won’t be accepted in trials on an equal level to others because their DPS is still reliant on the bear, so if that bear has any issues hitting the target you’ll lose a huge chunk of damage. Also Master Architect is more obsolete than ever thanks to Roaring Opportunist. Lastly you don’t have a big burst AoE ult (I quick slot Ele Rage backbar for add pulls and then quickly swap back to Bear Ult at bosses).

Wardens have more damage now but you won’t be seeing groups accept them unless as healers or tanks (..or in alt runs Ofc). And you definitely cannot bring your Warden without the Bear Ult.
  • A_mean_old_cat
    They're viable for Vet Dungeons/Trials (As good as other mag classes, obviously not Nb ;) )
    Wardens have been in a good spot as of harrowstorm, it’s just a lot of groups won’t allow them in group because of the idea that a warden healer makes them obsolete. In reality once you have the base minor buffs and major vuln along with things like engulfing you totally have room to bring in “unnecessary “ buffs like minor savagery from the nightblade passive(assuming you’re in an all magic group comp) most groups don’t want them because they’re heavily reliant on the bear as an ultimate, which in the right hands is no big deal as you have other cleave abilities like shalks, orbs, and winters revenge. While it remains to be seen on what class is “meta” it’s safe to assume Magicka warden is in a good spot, it’s more about finding a raid lead that would let you play one lol.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found them viable for vet dungeons and trials, even when they were a potato class. A year later, I'm almost always the top mag DD in vet groups and a lot of times the top DD, period. It's in a good spot.

Liko has released all mag DD parses for Greymoore except for Magplar, and Magwarden is 5k+ above all other mag builds and only 1k behind stamcros. Granted, this is the vamp build with the risky spammable, but still.

Still no group utility, and we're more dependent on the bear than we've ever been, so it's a hollow victory for sure. On the bright side, I think there's going to be a massive influx of Magwarden DDs, so maybe the class can finally shed its reputation of being awful, because it's been far from it for a long time now but no one seems to play it. If more people pick it up and realize that it's an amazing class, I'll consider that a different sort of win. And this may be a fluke and I may just be seeing healers, but I've seen a LOT more bears around the Vivec City crafting areas, so it may be happening *cries into bears blocking everything*
  • Aloha
    Aloha
    ✭✭✭
    mDen is awesome but a little hard to master with clunky dive and deep fissure is good with dynamic rotation.

mDen has good passives. It is the best magicka class DPS when compo team is not optimal and when group is casual/novice.
    - +10% magic and frost damage from passive,
    - +2% damage when you have a companion skill slotted (until +10% damage with 5 companion skills)
    - +10% crit damage when chilled ennemy,
    - +1260 healing when animal companion skills ends (can crit =D,good self healing),
    - minor toughness 10% more health,
    - major brech -5280 spell resistance,
    - can off balance enemy with dive,
    - free regen and purge from blue betty,
    - 8% more damage with bird of prey,
    - tanky bear with free execute phase,
    - +8% more damage with fetcher minor vulnerability,
    - best magicka aoe dots in game (winter's revenge) ,
    - have a good toolkit for support team when you do not need a specific dps skill.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aloha wrote: »
    mDen is awesome but a little hard to master with clunky dive and deep fissure is good with dynamic rotation.

mDen has good passives. It is the best magicka class DPS when compo team is not optimal and when group is casual/novice.
    - +10% magic and frost damage from passive,
    - +2% damage when you have a companion skill slotted (until +10% damage with 5 companion skills)
    - +10% crit damage when chilled ennemy,
    - +1260 healing when animal companion skills ends (can crit =D,good self healing),
    - minor toughness 10% more health,
    - major brech -5280 spell resistance,
    - can off balance enemy with dive,
    - free regen and purge from blue betty,
    - 8% more damage with bird of prey,
    - tanky bear with free execute phase,
    - +8% more damage with fetcher minor vulnerability,
    - best magicka aoe dots in game (winter's revenge) ,
    - have a good toolkit for support team when you do not need a specific dps skill.

Disagree, the rotation is significantly less dynamic than most other rotations (for me, anyway), with long AOEs and dots I dynamically rebuff, with fissure I count 2 abilities between each recast - a lot easier than dynamically refreshing a backbar while paying attention to mechanics IMO.

Additionally, and perhaps not so optimally - but I do it anyway - you can equip living trellis which is both a HOT AND a cheap spam heal that can crit all in one, it is perhaps the single most verstile single button heal in the game. Makes the class braindead easy to play in any situation where you are not in a healed stack.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade