The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Blood Frenzy

Darkstride
Darkstride
✭✭
I feel like Blood Frenzy would be more useful and strategic if, instead of being a constant health drain, it simply took health when using any ability. Each time you use an attack, the effect gains a stack increasing both your damage output and the damage inflicted to you. It would function relatively the same, but would be more manageable because you have full control over damaging yourself in order to deal additional damage.

It reminds me a bit of Blood Magic from Secret World Legends, where the whole skill line was about balancing self-damage in order to deal more damage. Every time you cast a Blood ability, you gained "corruption" on a sliding scale. At escalating intervals, your abilities would harm you more, deal more damage and reduce healing effectiveness. At 100% you dealt max damage both to your enemies and to yourself but could not be healed by any means, even yourself. Instead you had what were essentially "corruption" dump abilities. You cast one of these damage or healing abilities to consume some corruption and reset your meter.

We already know they aren't planning to make any changes, but I feel like having more control over Blood Frenzy would be more interesting than just a toggle that makes combat feel sloppy.
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yours is another instance of a decent idea that will go completely ignored.

The fact of the matter is, is that ZOS is committed now. To back track on the entire skill line / re-“vamp” would be a complete admission of their utter ineptitude.

They will never admit to being so completely detached from the game. And as such they will never admit to being the absolute morons that these patch notes prove them to be.

At this point, as players...our only hope is to wait them out. Give them the appropriate 3 months or so until the next patch when they can subtly begin to backtrack the nonsense theyve imposed on us.

This period of time will allow them to save face and act like they listen.

Only then will we see change.
    Edited by DT-ARR on May 24, 2020 3:48AM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with Secret World's blood magic is its not the same blood magic in the Elder Scrolls. Blood Frenzy has no place being in the vampire skill line, and despite your idea being good, I don't think it should be added. Blood magic for vampires in TES is the magic granted to them by the power of their own blood. Its not cutting/hurting/bleeding yourself to cast spells. Nothing like blood frenzy ever existed in any of the other Elder Scrolls games and is contradictory to what vampires are known for. Siphoning life from their foes, not themselves.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: upon further reading I unjustly attacked Vevvevs opinion. Ive deleted my post due to my own misreading of what he/she was saying. My apologies to Vevvev and all who read prior to the edit.
    Edited by DT-ARR on May 24, 2020 4:10AM
  • Darkstride
    Darkstride
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    The issue with Secret World's blood magic is its not the same blood magic in the Elder Scrolls. Blood Frenzy has no place being in the vampire skill line, and despite your idea being good, I don't think it should be added. Blood magic for vampires in TES is the magic granted to them by the power of their own blood. Its not cutting/hurting/bleeding yourself to cast spells. Nothing like blood frenzy ever existed in any of the other Elder Scrolls games and is contradictory to what vampires are known for. Siphoning life from their foes, not themselves.

I agree with you. Blood Frenzy shouldn't even exist as it is. But it does, and the devs seem determined to keep it as a defining ability for vampirism for some reason.

My example was just a tweak to make it usable rather than the current implementation which feels sloppy and unimaginative.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstride wrote: »

I agree with you. Blood Frenzy shouldn't even exist as it is. But it does, and the devs seem determined to keep it as a defining ability for vampirism for some reason.

My example was just a tweak to make it usable rather than the current implementation which feels sloppy and unimaginative.

That's why I said your idea was a good idea, it really shouldn't exist but since we're stuck with it something has to be done to make it better than this mess. I made a thread suggesting adding a small life drain while the skill is active, but your idea sounds more fun with managing corruption instead of managing a never ending 20% increased health drain every second.

I know Warframe had something vaguely similar with their Ember Warframe rework where they took a well known ability and changed it heavily. The new ability was a toggle that had a flat energy cost to turn on, and when activated gives you 50% damage reduction via a fire shell around your character. As it stayed active, or you cast "fireball" and "world on fire" ((Ember's abilities)), it would begin to fill the flame bar up which increases the damage of Ember's abilities and damage resistance. When it was completely filled up you had 90% damage resistance and your abilities were at max power, but then the ability punished you heavily. It began to drain your power ((equivalent of magicka)) exponentially the longer that meter was full until you ran out. When you did the toggled ability turned off and left you with nothing, which could be the difference between life and death. You could get rid of the heat by using your AOE flame blast ability but the heat generation multipliers accumulated from using your abilities never went away. Eventually you had to turn the ability off. ((Sound familiar?))
    Edited by Vevvev on May 24, 2020 3:54PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK