The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

PTS Radial Uppercut: why is it being gutted PvP-wise?

wylievc
wylievc
✭✭✭
I haven't seen any posts on Radial Uppercut yet.

Radial Uppercut:
This set now deals 45% of the damage dealt with Uppercut to all nearby targets, rather than 100% to only 1 nearby target.
Reduced the Perfected version's Penetration to 1190.

This is probably a welcomed change from PvE players, but it seems to me this is 100% useless in PvP now. Doing that little AOE damage in team fights is not going to be worth sacrificing for a (2) set. At least before you could have highly limited AoE with efficiency, now it's just completely useless in PvP. For it to even be in line with Cleave it would need to do ~65% damage to nearby targets, and even Cleave isn't good/used in PvP.

Why not make it similar to (the opposite of) Titanic Cleave? Where Titanic Cleave increases the damage done per enemy in its cone, make Radial Uppercut decrease its damage done per nearby enemy down to a minimum of 49%. That way you aren't gutting it for PvP. I'd Propose:

Radial Uppercut:
Uppercut deals 100% of its damage to one enemy near your primary target. For each additional enemy, the damage is reduced by 17%, down to a minimum of 49% to all nearby enemies.

Then you would have: 2 enemies = 100% (current), 3 enemies = 83%, 4 enemies = 66%, 5 or more enemies = 49%

This way the weapon can still actually be used in PvP, like other Arena Weapons. For example, the new Spectral Cloak (which I think should only refresh on front bar tbh, digression) which causes you to deal 10% more damage and take 10% less damage, this set works for both game styles. However, recently it seems like PvP is just deteriorating, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this nerf missed.

Before anyone mentions "too much math will cause lag", the same amount of math is being done for Titanic Cleave (number of players -> damage calculation).
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree. but please dont touch my Titanic Cleave. i love the new buff.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been testing and leaving reports in-game via /bug for most of the duration of PTS (remember, the devs will likely not see this on the forum. The forum is primarily for player-to-player discussion so be sure to report it in-game!!)

I wouldn't say it's a nerf per-se since it wasn't really impressive before at all. At least now it actually does get some decent value in PvE. And yeah, I totally agree that after about two targets Titantic Cleave surpasses Radial even when you are specced for damage. I also agree that 65% sounds about right. And again I agree that having it scale in the opposite direction as Titantic Cleave would be an even better idea.

With back-of-the-napkin calculations I can understand why they'd want to avoid pushing the splash too high though. People already complain that Dizzying Swing is 'too powerful' as it is so if Radial Uppercut splashed too much then we'd just be looking at yet another nerf to d-swing down the line. All the more reason that the reverse-scaling would be a nice idea.