Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvE has an end, but PvP doesn't

LoveForElderScrolls
They should invest more into the PvP side of this game if we care about Elder Scrolls Online because PvE ends, but PvP is there forever. That way, we can be sure ESO stays active for a long time.
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ummm what? As long as they develop and release new content how does PvE end? Try again.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that a vast majority of players play PVE.
    So, PVE is privilegied. It brings far more money.
    You might find it unfair, but from a business perspective, it's perfectly understandable and natural.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ... what are you talking about. I guess it's possible to complete ALL achievements and do ALL quests, but that is a monumental effort that almost no one completes or desires to complete. Even then, there's stuff to do- get involved in a trade guild, do housing stuff, RP, run stuff with your guilds for the hell of it, whatever. I've never had anyone quit because PvE "ends"; it's the same as when someone quits PvP- you're done when you decide you're done, not because of content limitations.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

This. I'm not sure what he's talking about.
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    Lag will end PvP.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

PvEers die, PVPers are immortal

if you die in PvE you die in real life
    Edited by Raisin on May 23, 2020 2:50PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

Wait... is this the same forum where people whine endlessly about how easy overland PvE is? About how it is impossible to die to anything?
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

Wait... is this the same forum where people whine endlessly about how easy overland PvE is? About how it is impossible to die to anything?

Easy Overland PvE is the ONLY reason most of us still live!!!
  • Old_Foggy
    Old_Foggy
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only end to PvE i see is the letter " E " on the end of it. :p
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should invest more into the PvP side of this game if we care about Elder Scrolls Online because PvE ends, but PvP is there forever...
    ...except its the same for PvE.

Yeah, -storyline questing- ends at some point... but by now we have more then enough PvE dailies to cover that for those who wand to go there.

Sure, it gets repetetive... but so does PvP, once you took a keep half a dozend times, the next half dozend times all seem exactly the same... same location, same siege engines, same fighting, same flipping the flags... same for battlegrounds, or getting ganked in Imperial City... eventually it gets repetetive.

In the end, each ought to pursue whatever strikes their fancy.

Tho I agree that PvE had gotten loads of additional content from craglorn onward over time... and pvP only added IC and battlegrounds. I can see how those who love the PvPness would want some new options to enjoy as well...
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP has an end too. It is either once you have maxed Alliance War rank (and all skill points) or once you have 5 - 10M AP and you realise there is nothing to spend them on...

There was also a "fun" aspect of PvP. You know, play a game to kill some time, because it is fun... but with THOSE performance it is not fun at all....
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should invest more into the PvP side of this game if we care about Elder Scrolls Online because PvE ends, but PvP is there forever...
    ...except its the same for PvE.

Yeah, -storyline questing- ends at some point... but by now we have more then enough PvE dailies to cover that for those who wand to go there.

Sure, it gets repetetive... but so does PvP, once you took a keep half a dozend times, the next half dozend times all seem exactly the same... same location, same siege engines, same fighting, same flipping the flags... same for battlegrounds, or getting ganked in Imperial City... eventually it gets repetetive.

In the end, each ought to pursue whatever strikes their fancy.

Tho I agree that PvE had gotten loads of additional content from craglorn onward over time... and pvP only added IC and battlegrounds. I can see how those who love the PvPness would want some new options to enjoy as well...

Thats if you play in a large group, the true fun IC or Cyrodil PvP experience is fighting outnumbered with a mobility based 1vX build, not playing a ganker, bomber or tank in a zerg
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    Thats if you play in a large group, the true fun IC or Cyrodil PvP experience is fighting outnumbered with a mobility based 1vX build, not playing a ganker, bomber or tank in a zerg

Might be fun for the "1", but to do it, you need an "X". And I'm pretty sure it's not fun for them. ;)
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand what the OP meant, and it's true that PvE has an end in the sense that whatever the existing content is, there will come a point where you've completed all the quests, explored all the locations, fought all the enemies, etc. It's true of every single-player Elder Scrolls game, and no less true of The Elder Scrolls Online. "The end" can be prolonged by releasing new content, but those also have limits.

However, one could argue that PvP also has a limited lifespan, in the sense that whatever the existing skill sets and gear sets are, certain ones tend to become most popular based on which races, classes, skills, and gear sets are considered to be "best in slot," with the consequence that unless changes are made every so often to "shake things up" and force players to change, eventually a PvP player is going to be fighting the same cookie-cutter "best in slot" builds over and over again. And we know what happens when changes are made to races, classes, skills, and gear sets-- the playerbase generally explodes in outrage.

The way that players traditionally combat this "inevitable end" is to try playing the game with a different race, class, skill set, and gear set than what they're used to, or play through the content in a different order, etc. Except for the part about playing through the content in a different order, these same tactics for trying to keep a game "fresh" can and do apply to PvP as well as PvE, although I daresay that with hardcore PvP players there's usually going to be less exploration of unique builds due to the usual focus on the whole "best in slot" concept. Anyone who strays away from whatever's considered to be best and most optimal will be more challenged just to survive against the other PvP players-- which might be exactly what a given player is hoping for, more challenge; but straying too far off the beaten track can lead to being derided by one's fellow players for being more interested in "playing your own way" with "self-indulgently 'creative' builds" that end up detracting from a group's overall effectiveness instead of augmenting it somehow.

Anyway, I think I understand what the OP is getting at, although I'm not sure what sort of new PvP content they think would be good to see-- new PvP zones added on an annual basis? new types of games added to the Battlegrounds? or something else?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP ended with IC. That was the last time PvP saw any new content unless you count BGs but that feels more like a game mode. PvE is about to get an update with Greymoor. PvP is somewhere in the past. Think you got it backwards OP.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on May 23, 2020 5:45PM
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's this 'PvP' y'all mention? I play my ESO mainly for PvE and RPing ;).

Heck, I even play my *R6S* mainly for PvE and RPing...
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE has... an .... end?

?
    ??
    ???

Dammit, I'm going to have to start paying a lot more attention... /cry
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP has an end too. It is either once you have maxed Alliance War rank (and all skill points) or once you have 5 - 10M AP and you realise there is nothing to spend them on...

There was also a "fun" aspect of PvP. You know, play a game to kill some time, because it is fun... but with THOSE performance it is not fun at all....

AP is quite valuable next patch with the change to alliance war potions. Should be relatively easy to sell any and all amounts of AP for a good rate.
  • LoveForElderScrolls
    Ummm what? As long as they develop and release new content how does PvE end? Try again.

At some point, they will have to stop creating PvE content because the lore is not infinite. So PvE is not infinite, it has an end.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Buy me some of the writs if you have too much AP! :)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill monster. Wait a few minutes. Monster gets up. Kill monster.
    Kill player. Wait a few minutes. Player gets up. Kill player.

The above is meant in jest, but everything in the game is repeatable and there is so much content that by the time I get back to something it feels new again.

The only end to PvE or PvP is when you say it is done. And there is no need to ever say that if you don't want to.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At some point, they will have to stop creating PvE content because the lore is not infinite. So PvE is not infinite, it has an end.

Lore is, indeed, finite. However, at this point in development, lore is about to be expanded upon again. The nice thing about not working on an historically accurate game? You're inventing it as you go, and it can always be expanded upon. Pick a franchise, any franchise you like: At one point, the lore was so limited that it didn't even exist.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They should invest more into the PvP side of this game if we care about Elder Scrolls Online because PvE ends, but PvP is there forever. That way, we can be sure ESO stays active for a long time.

I wish there would be a way to measure how many players are actively involved in pvp, and how many are pve focused. The only reasons I've ever bothered with visiting Cyrodiil was to go to IC to use the crafting stations. Now with attuned stations, I can totally ignore pvp. I've been here since beta, and if it shifted to pvp focused, or pvp only, I'd quit immediately. Subbed since early release, two accounts, lots of stuff, most of the senche mounts, houses bought, everything....I'd drop it all and walk away. Your idea would kill the game for me.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are the two really mutually exclusive when performance is terrible across the board right now?

If you play PC EU, my goodness. Worst gaming experience in my lifetime.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endgame pvp is trolling people while being midly racist in chat. At least it looks like it is.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • xF1REFL1x
    xF1REFL1x
    ✭✭✭
    Why not play both?
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the end, beautiful friend
    This is the end, my only friend
    The end of our elaborate plans
    The end of ev'rything that stands
    The end
    No safety or surprise
    The end
    https://youtu.be/jdr8OBQns3g
  • Lisutaris
    Lisutaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know knothing !!!
    Embrace the Housing and ESO FASHION , because that is the REAL ENDGAME!!

game-of-thrones_2663071.jpg
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endgame PVP is a never ending game of trying to get faster kills, fewer deaths, and higher scores.

Endgame PVE is a never ending game of trying to get faster kills, fewer deaths, and higher scores.