Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does ZOS know there are problems?

SneaK
SneaK
✭✭✭✭✭
Honest question/s, I came back to the game again and haven’t been up to date on the latest news...

Performance is horrendous, in all zones PvE and PvP. I don’t see where they have made any statements about this??

Do they know there is a major performance problem?

I remember them saying they had a plan they were implementing this past winter, did they do it, and are they under the impression it worked?
"IMO"
Aldmeri Dominion
Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
(+3 not worth mentioning, yet)

Best Answer

• TemplarHealz
    TemplarHealz
    ✭✭✭
    They may have made more public statements since April, but that was the point that I lost faith in the development team.

You can follow this: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681 - According to this, they've corrected most of your complaints, and have a roadmap to fix the problems. This article sounds great to new players, but for anyone that's been around, we've heard this all before.

I love this game. I really do. It's why I'm so passionate about performance. I've gotten my family, and friends to all join over the past 4 years, and out of the 8 recruitments I got, It's only me and my girlfriend left.

My suggestion is if you're unhappy with the performance, speak with your wallet. It's not likely to fix the performance issues, but neither is your forum post.
    Answer ✓
  • TemplarHealz
    TemplarHealz
    ✭✭✭
    These forums are littered with performance complaints. Their professional stance on April 2020 is:

"There’s been strain on the servers, but they are holding up well – a testament to the team and the hard work they’ve done over the past year on performance and stability. "

If you're unhappy with the performance, I suggest canceling ESO+. It's likely to get worse before it gets better.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of forums threads on this issue if you do a forums search, @SneaK ... I'm not totally sure we need another thread on performance??
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These forums are littered with performance complaints. Their professional stance on April 2020 is:

"There’s been strain on the servers, but they are holding up well – a testament to the team and the hard work they’ve done over the past year on performance and stability. "

If you're unhappy with the performance, I suggest canceling ESO+. It's likely to get worse before it gets better.

That makes me think the answer is no, they aren’t aware of the problems. They don’t pay attention to the forums from my memory. And if that’s their last statement on it then clearly the answer is no.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of forums threads on this issue if you do a forums search, @SneaK ... I'm not totally sure we need another thread on performance??

I’ve read some, but haven’t seen ZOS reply to any. Hence the question.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • Twilanthe
    Twilanthe
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they know. To not know they would need to never read their own forums, never check their own twitter, never play their own game, never review zone chat logs, never read bug report tickets, and never talk to anyone who plays ever.

They know.

My guess is either 1. they can't fix the problem because servers/game engine/whatever is insufficient or something techy I wouldn't understand, 2. they just haven't figured it out yet, or 3. it's more financially viable for them to crunch out new content and crown store stuff than fix issues.

My jaded pessimistic side assumes #3

My hopeful side would like it to be #2

My logical pragmatic side believes it's probably a combination of all 3.
    Lüc - Argonian Necromancer Healer
    PC-NA
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'd love to see some before-and-after comparisons from that work. I'm not saying they didn't do anything, but from the end-user it's noticeably worse.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and they don't care because the cash cow (regular players) is alive and strong.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah they know there is problems they are making efforts to try and reduce the problem. Are they using the right methods remains to be seen.
    Now that places are starting to open up and more people are allowed to get back to closer to normal such as going back to work and stuff like that. Because of the Covid shutting down everything and more stuck at home servers had to suffer through that as wel. Now that is lessening in parts of the world. I'm thinking this at least will help things by reducing the max level extremely bad performance to extremely bad or Very bad performance to hopefully moderately bad but playable to even fully improved and very playable performance.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 22, 2020 5:00PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • NocturnalSonata
    NocturnalSonata
    ✭✭✭

Given the current state of performance, the more forum posts the better.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/527962/still-no-statement

Their post is publicity, not talking about the issues we have now. We're going on the 3rd roll out of their "performance plan" and the game is at this state, think about that.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance is so bad in this game. The combats system is awesome the performance of this game will always be remembered as the one thing that held this gem back. Im not sure who makes the decisions on where resources are put. I don't think they actually understand what type of a gem of a game they have. Probably the direction from parent company has something to do with it. CORPORATE interference .... I can believe competent game developers would allow beta type performance for so long, in something they put so much of their time in.

PVP combat is unique and very good in this game. However it has been plague with the worst performance of the game. This could have made this game a cult classic. Instead it will always be in the shadows of its first idea (Dark Ages of Camelot) Currently the performance is at an all time low. With latency existing at almost all times....

The only reason some of us old players are still here is because of the glimmer of hope that you will actually fulfill your promises. Honestly after this game if things are not fixed I will never play another game made by Zenimax/Bethesda. They are putting their name on this performance!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only "problem" ZOS would see is the performance of the Crown Store. While I would love to be convinced otherwise, the ongoing deterioration of performance leaves me quite cynical. Despite the lip service given to the "performance plan", things just continue to get worse. I'm sure they are aware, but as long as the money rolls in, I don't think it's perceived as quite the problem we would like them to think it is.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shantu wrote: »
    The only "problem" ZOS would see is the performance of the Crown Store. While I would love to be convinced otherwise, the ongoing deterioration of performance leaves me quite cynical. Despite the lip service given to the "performance plan", things just continue to get worse. I'm sure they are aware, but as long as the money rolls in, I don't think it's perceived as quite the problem we would like them to think it is.

I have to agree. Capital is the chief influence of resources. Performance while Im sure its very important to them. I know in the end they have to make certain capital deadlines. They have to introduce new content to keep that much larger PVE base content. They have keep that crown store interesting and inventive in raising more capital.

I just wish corporate would see that performance hurts its capital stabilization more then anything. This is a gem of a game I wish we could actually play it like it is suppose to be played!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. Please remember that while it’s alright to disagree or even debate with each other, provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable on our forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They know, there is no way they dont know. The Question you want to ask is if the higher ups care enough to do something About it. And perhaps the even better Question: are they capable of Fixing the Problems? Just remember that their "Performance improvements" made Server Performance worse, make of that what you will.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_TrishM wrote: »
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. Please remember that while it’s alright to disagree or even debate with each other, provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable on our forums.

So does ZOS know there's problems? Can you confirm?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »

I'm happy there's an official thread on this, looks to be a long-lived thread too.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    Greetings,

Come on! Everyone knows the second response by a ZoS rep in any given thread is reserved exclusively for locking it down! :p
    Edited by Muizer on May 22, 2020 6:22PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,

I'm sure that the forum moderators, who are generally restricted to the news/information passed down from the community reps/admins, will totally be informed, up-to-date, and allowed to reply on a topic the devs haven't given out more information on yet. Yep. Form moderators are totally the regular people who make formal official announcements.

Yes, that was sarcasm. Why harass the mods? Community reps, devs, yes. Forum mods? Not much point, really.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Greetings,

I'm sure that the forum moderators, who are generally restricted to the news/information passed down from the community reps/admins, will totally be informed, up-to-date, and allowed to reply on a topic the devs haven't given out more information on yet. Yep. Form moderators are totally the regular people who make formal official announcements.

Yes, that was sarcasm. Why harass the mods? Community reps, devs, yes. Forum mods? Not much point, really.

Asking for an update isn't harassment.
  • Adriius
    Adriius
    Like... I dunno if anyones actually taken the time to look seriously, but it appears most are woefully unaware of the sheer amount of jobs posted available on their website for positions specifically for ESO. The amount of statements that are constantly saying this is some sort of "malicious intent" on ZOS' part is nothing short of ridiculous. Perhaps if anyone has the skills and know how they could apply for a position to I dunno constructively help the issues. It's possible they are just very short staffed. It's not some grand conspiracy. In fact, ALOT of development teams are going thru this currently.

And yeah, if one takes two seconds and browses the site, there appear to be people who actually DO browse the forums and relay the issues. Might be things more reasonable as opposed to things no reasonable person would do. No one is trying to actively sabotage their own company. That makes zero sense.
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    Asking for an update isn't harassment.

Bugging the kid at a till at McDonalds about why a Big Mac does not come with 2 pieces of cheese instead of 1 would be harassment, because that kid at the till has absolutely nothing to do with making that decision.

The forum moderators are here to moderate the forums, they are here to keep things civil. They are not PR reps and they are not here to make official development announcements or give updates. That would be what the Twitch developer discussions and official news releases on the ESO news site would be for. Unless a moderator here was given an official release to post here on the forums they are not likely even allowed to give you actual answers to this issue.

That said I am absolutely positive the developers are aware of the 5-10 daily threads on the topic and the constant all caps messages that are spammed on the twitch streams for the entire stream. I cannot imagine they missed them all.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adriius wrote: »
    Like... I dunno if anyones actually taken the time to look seriously, but it appears most are woefully unaware of the sheer amount of jobs posted available on their website for positions specifically for ESO. The amount of statements that are constantly saying this is some sort of "malicious intent" on ZOS' part is nothing short of ridiculous. Perhaps if anyone has the skills and know how they could apply for a position to I dunno constructively help the issues. It's possible they are just very short staffed. It's not some grand conspiracy. In fact, ALOT of development teams are going thru this currently.

And yeah, if one takes two seconds and browses the site, there appear to be people who actually DO browse the forums and relay the issues. Might be things more reasonable as opposed to things no reasonable person would do. No one is trying to actively sabotage their own company. That makes zero sense.

Of course it's not malicious intent. It's just negligent. That's what people are saying. I don't doubt they have constraints around staffing, technical debt, testing strategies, and the vacant positions really highlight that. The whole problem is that we're just told "oh we're working on it". No one's asking for daily breakdowns, but like the PTS changes, the community can give feedback if there was a bloody dialogue on these issues.

Based on the last update here:
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

The combat desync sounds like it might be addressed in Q3. They're waiting 6+ months to roll out fixes to a core system of the game that's broken. Now, look at the other issues reported on PTS and how often people are saying that PTS feedback is ignored or dismissed. This is why people don't believe them. This is why people are tired of the ZOS communication style. This is why people are creating thread after thread on this. Because they can't get it right and they can't tell us why.

But hey - Greymoor. Buy now.
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    The combat desync sounds like it might be addressed in Q3. They're waiting 6+ months to roll out fixes to a core system of the game that's broken.

So they should code up a fix and simple release it to live instantly without testing? Potentially (likely) crash the entire game by releasing a fix that is not tested? And when that occurs you won't come on the forums and lose it on them about how they crashed the ESO servers and they should have tested it and blah blah blah...

Seriously, of course they are going to test it, of course they are going to tweak it, check how the adjustments work, retweak, retest, ect... until they are finally pretty certain it is going to work.

All of you people whining already admit that they already tried a fix, and it did not work. Do you think that maybe that is why they are trying to spend some time really figuring the issues out and testing things before releasing a fix? Maybe? Do ya think?

They know there are issues, they are working on them, they have a timeline for testing and possible release of the fix. What is the point of whining? What do you actually think you are actually accomplishing with it? Are you trying to get them to release a half baked untested not ready for release fix to the live servers that can cause more issues than we currently have? What is your actual goal here? What do you want them to do that they are not already doing? They admitted completely in that link you posted that there ARE issues and they ARE working on fixing them. What else do you want?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The combat desync sounds like it might be addressed in Q3. They're waiting 6+ months to roll out fixes to a core system of the game that's broken.

So they should code up a fix and simple release it to live instantly without testing? Potentially (likely) crash the entire game by releasing a fix that is not tested? And when that occurs you won't come on the forums and lose it on them about how they crashed the ESO servers and they should have tested it and blah blah blah...

Seriously, of course they are going to test it, of course they are going to tweak it, check how the adjustments work, retweak, retest, ect... until they are finally pretty certain it is going to work.

All of you people whining already admit that they already tried a fix, and it did not work. Do you think that maybe that is why they are trying to spend some time really figuring the issues out and testing things before releasing a fix? Maybe? Do ya think?

They know there are issues, they are working on them, they have a timeline for testing and possible release of the fix. What is the point of whining? What do you actually think you are actually accomplishing with it? Are you trying to get them to release a half baked untested not ready for release fix to the live servers that can cause more issues than we currently have? What is your actual goal here? What do you want them to do that they are not already doing? They admitted completely in that link you posted that there ARE issues and they ARE working on fixing them. What else do you want?

Duplicate response, had two windows open.
    Edited by Destai on May 22, 2020 8:30PM
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Point taken.

I want them to prioritize fixing the game and communicate what they're actually doing this time. You can't seriously be denying their communication is lacking.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are utube videos about this issue going back to 2015. There hundreds of reddit posts. It's common knowledge about performance of the game. I was at gamestop and the sales clerk recommended another game because there are aspects of the game that no longer work. They know...
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • killahsin
    killahsin
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

Of course the devs are aware of this.

Of course they are working on it. However the fixes that this game needs require re-designing the entire backend and how it communicates with the entire front end. Hence the dev plan that has been linked here. That isn't cheap in this industry to pay for and even more expensive when the tech you have to re-design was initially licensed and built out from. If it ever gets fully solved i will personally be surprised that Bethesda/zenimax committed the funds that will be required.

their plan is however a good plan in an effort to break up some of the choke points.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 23, 2020 12:37PM