Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gamepad input is broken in ESO on macOS

thedavidventer
thedavidventer
✭✭✭
Since the launch of macOS Catalina, Apple now supports wireless controllers (Xbox One Bluetooth and PS4 DS) right out of the box, no third-party drivers or key-mappers required. These controllers work great in other games but the input is broken in The Elder Scrolls Online. Using the Xbox One Wireless Controller; character movement and panning of the camera works but everything else is broken (some buttons do not work at all, and others activate the wrong actions).

Steps to reproduce:

Connect an Xbox One Wireless controller via Bluetooth to macOS.
Enable Gamepad mode in ESO
Try to play with the controller, notice how broken the implementation is.

Please fix this! I'd love to play ESO using my Xbox One Wireless Controller.

Related Thread:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507255/can-we-finally-use-a-xbox-one-controller

Use this macOS App (or any other game with controller support, such as games from Apple Arcade or other games from Steam) to test gamepad input in macOS, see that it's not a driver issue but a coding/integration issue in ESO specifically:
https://apps.apple.com/za/app/game-controller-tester/id1500593102?mt=12

EDIT: Updated title and moved discussion from Bug Report forums to Mac Support forums.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 17, 2023 5:28PM
David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    The launcher downloaded a new patch and I was hoping this would be fixed but it's still broken.

Xbox One Wireless Controller performs as follows in ESO on macOS: (Gamepad Mode: ON)

A = No action
    B = No action
    X = No action
    Y = Incorrect action (Does what D-Pad Up is supposed to do)
    D-Pad Up = No action
    D-Pad Down = No action
    D-Pad Left = No action
    D-Pad Right = No action
    Back = No action
    Guide = No action
    Start = Incorrect action (Jump)
    Left Stick = Works the way it's supposed to (Character movement)
    Left Stick Click = Incorrect action (Does what Right Bumper is supposed to do)
    Right Stick = Works the way it's supposed to (Camera movement)
    Right Stick Click = No action
    Left Bumper = Incorrect action (Weapon Swap)
    Left Trigger = Works the way it's supposed to (Block)
    Right Bumper = Incorrect action (Does what D-Pad right and D-Pad up is supposed to do)
    Right Trigger = Works the way it's supposed to (Weapon attack)

Literally unplayable. Dear Zenimax, please fix this!

Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Maintenance happened again and I was hoping for this to be fixed but it’s still broken. I still can’t use my Xbox One Wireless controller to play ESO on macOS. Please fix this!
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    After a long wait, Support finally got back to be about this issue...
    Greetings,

I'm Brian a member of the Escalations Team here with The Elder Scrolls Online Support.

I deeply apologize for the delay in getting back to you. After review please bear in mind that we are unable to troubleshoot gamepad issues beyond what has already been provided.

In this situation we recommend reaching out to Apple Support and the online support communities for any additional ideas they could provide.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm regards,
    Brian
    The Elder Scrolls Online Support

This is ridiculous! They're asking me to reach out to Apple to fix the controller issue even though I've stated that the controller works just fine, as intended in many other games incl. Apple Arcade titles and other games from Steam. ESO is the only game, so far, that I've been having controller issues with. ZOS needs to fix this. There's nothing that I can do about this not working. Don't tell me to contact Apple to figure out how to make it work. I can't alter the game code. It's up to ZOS to work with Apple to get it working if the dev team can't figure out how to fix it themselves (even though there's plenty of documentation available from Apple on properly integrating game controllers). Please fix the game code in order to resolve this issue!

Dear ZOS, again, I ask you, please take an Xbox One Wireless Controller (Apple sells these, as they're fully supported in macOS Catalina), connect it to macOS Catalina via Bluetooth and try to play ESO with it, notice how broken your integration is. Now play other controller-supported games, like Titles from Apple Arcade, or some racing games from Steam etc. Notice that the input is only messed up in ESO! It works like it should in other games. This is a problem with ZOS' gamepad code/integration. ZOS needs to fix this. The only way to fix this is for ZOS to fix buggy game code. Asking me to contact Apple about it is the worst response you could possibly provide. Can't fix your code? YOU should contact Apple about it, I'm not on the ZOS dev team, I don't have access to making game code changes. Asking me to ask Apple for help in fixing this is ridiculous! Please fix it!
    Edited by thedavidventer on May 14, 2020 10:01AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick question, have you tried the pts yet? I noticed they did some fixes for the game pads (not Mac specific though) I was wondering if this issue was fixed in that overall fix.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/522289/pts-patch-notes-v6-0-0#latest

Gamepad Mode

Fixed multiple UI errors that could occur when using the Automatic setting for Gamepad mode and swapping directly between Gamepad and Keyboard menus.

Fixed an issue where a social list, such as a Guild Roster updating, would cause your position to be reset in the list.

Fixed an issue where going to a menu directly from an Outfit Station would not warn you about losing your changes.

Fixed a UI error that could occur when leaving an Outfit Station by opening your map.

Edit: I agree with you that the Mac support seems extremely lacking if not non-existent.

I only come to these support forums rarely now because of the lack of customer support here (and from the customer representatives).
    Edited by BlueRaven on May 14, 2020 1:30PM
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO
    Maintenance happened again and I was hoping for this to be fixed but it’s still broken. I still can’t use my Xbox One Wireless controller to play ESO on macOS. Please fix this!

Lol I wish they are that efficient on fixing problems

• thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Just a quick question, have you tried the pts yet? I noticed they did some fixes for the game pads (not Mac specific though) I was wondering if this issue was fixed in that overall fix.

I have not tried the PTS but those patch notes mention gamepad UI fixes. It doesn't mention gamepad input fixes so I assume it's still broken on the PTS.
  • TiberSeptim04
    TiberSeptim04
    Soul Shriven
    I created a forums account just to add my voice to this discussion. Using an Xbox controller is completely broken. Not to mention all the other issues people are having playing this on MacOS.
  • skielboeb16_ESO
    skielboeb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have the exact same issues as thedavidventer describes above. Totally broken/non-functioning keymaps using an Xbox one controller connected via Bluetooth on Catalina 10.15.4.

I had to use a USB cable to make it work, which is quite annoying..
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox One Wireless Controller input is still broken in ESO on macOS with the Greymoor update.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP

Here's how to fix this issue:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/gamecontroller?language=objc

(Also see links previously posted to this thread)

Please pass this along to the developers to fix in the upcoming patch!

Edited by thedavidventer on May 31, 2020 11:38AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d love this to be fixed too...

atm using a controller on a Mac is impossible and the new controller interface is awful.

However, there seems little inclination for ZOS to do any remedial Mac work, let alone sort out something like this.

Big shame
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    It’s been years now. I still have to play with a cable on a wireless Gamepad. And not last, Xbox One controller’s port is very loose, causing disconnects with the movement. I solved using a usb-c cable with usb-micro adapter. Still, I’d love to play wireless. Please, once again fix it.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    raffaeleg wrote: »
    It’s been years now. I still have to play with a cable on a wireless Gamepad. And not last, Xbox One controller’s port is very loose, causing disconnects with the movement. I solved using a usb-c cable with usb-micro adapter. Still, I’d love to play wireless. Please, once again fix it.

It couldn't have been "years". Native controller support is NEW in macOS Catalina. Unless you are using unofficial/unsupported third-party drivers? macOS now officially and natively supports wireless controllers provided that the game devs implement them using the Game Kit API / Game Controller Framework, which ZOS obviously hasn't done yet since the release of macOS Catalina. ZOS has given us 64bit, Metal (via MoltenVK) and Dark Mode, so here's hoping that controller integration comes next now that it's officially supported in macOS Catalina. The ZOS devs just need to use the Game Kit API and Game Controller Framework (links provided above) to actually make it work.
    Edited by thedavidventer on June 3, 2020 10:29AM
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed, I’ve used for years the 360.controller on GitHub, which supports also the wireless controller. The result doesn’t change. The keys on the controller are scrambled like above on this thread.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    raffaeleg wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I’ve used for years the 360.controller on GitHub, which supports also the wireless controller. The result doesn’t change. The keys on the controller are scrambled like above on this thread.

If you play through Steam, you can enable controller "desktop mode" using the "Gamepad" template and it'll basically behave the same as when playing with a cable using the third-party GitHub driver. Regardless of what input template is defined in steam, ESO always performs the incorrect functions for various buttons (as mentioned above). This is also an ESO-specific issue as I do not have this issue in others games. The ZOS Support team blamed Apple for this, saying that the driver doesn't relay the correct input to the game, but that's not the case (why is it then that the controller works in other games, just not in ESO?). It's up to ZOS to code what the game does with the provided input. They can't expect the pre-existing windows-specific controller driver integration/coding to automatically work with macOS. macOS has it's own Gamekit / Controller framework and the ZOS devs need to "tell" the game what to do with the input using the API / framework provided by Apple. The documentation is publicly available and if they have an Apple Developer licence, they can even reach out to Apple for help on integrating it properly. it's really not that difficult to fix. (again, see links above).

Tagging the ZOS team in here again so they can better understand what needs to be done to fix this.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Please relay this to the devs, thanks!
    Edited by thedavidventer on June 3, 2020 4:19PM
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I don’t play via Steam. I’m not blaming anyone for this. Was just my thought about it. I really tried many controllers through the years. Xbox controllers with wireless adapters, Xbox one and PS4 via Bluetooth, not one was working at 100% (of course no trouble at all on a PC); there are still many unanswered threads about it. This time I trust they will do something about.

Edited by raffaeleg on June 3, 2020 10:53AM
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_AntonioP

So we got another patch but still no fix for the gamepad or Fullscreen and resolution issues (that I’ve been reporting after every patch since I started playing in April) on the macOS game client, not even an acknowledgment from you guys. Also, the crash-to-user-login (logout crash) issue is back. Pathetic. I’m disappointed.

As a paying customer, the least I expect is some sort of acknowledgment of these issues from ZOS staff and a fix would be great - I even sent you guys links to Apple Developer documentation on how to fix these issues. It's not that difficult.

Cancelling my ESO+ sub again until this gets fixed. Come on now @ZOS_MattFiror, why the neglect? :-(
    Edited by thedavidventer on July 1, 2020 3:40PM
  • ZomZom
    ZomZom
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW I'm having the same issue. Works fine when I connect via USB.

An odd thing is that it also works fine via Bluetooth when playing via Stadia through the same MacBook Pro.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    ZomZom wrote: »
    FWIW I'm having the same issue. Works fine when I connect via USB.

An odd thing is that it also works fine via Bluetooth when playing via Stadia through the same MacBook Pro.

That’s interesting. Google obviously uses the correct Apple Controller Framework and/or the Apple Gamekit API to “register” and map the controller with Stadia. I’ve shared various links above to the Apple Developer library containing guides on how to fix this on the ESO macOS game client but since April, this has been ignored by ZOS Staff.

@ZOS_GinaBruno please do something about this already! Thanks.
    Edited by thedavidventer on August 1, 2020 7:23AM
  • sarhin
    sarhin
    Soul Shriven
    Is months since the community started to raise this claim and they are still not really taking any effort to solve it, I will reproduce my last conversation with them, sorry it is a bit long.

After some previous messages from their side telling me to connect my computer and some other obvious configuration thing I reply to them this:

Customer response on 07/12/2020 08:34 AM
    Hello!

The controller is working and connects properly with my Mac, in other games the controller work with no problem.

I think you are having a problem with the Xbox Elite Controller and some other Xbox controllers in Mac but seems that no one is paying attention. I am not the unique one experiencing this problem and is already some months that it has been there.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/1488866813762212271/
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507255/can-we-finally-use-a-xbox-one-controller
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/497352/controller-templates-not-functional
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520104/controller-gamepad-support-in-eso-is-broken-on-macos-catalina

and no is not a problem with the Apple side, as already mention it does work prefect in other games.

Hope you can help all of us here!
    Thank you
    ________________________________________________________________________________

The Elder Scrolls Online Team response on 07/12/2020 08:45 AM
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

I am escalating your ticket to a specialized team to ensure you receive the best possible resolution of your issue. Thank you for your patience while they review your request, they should be reaching out to you shortly.

If you have any further questions or information regarding this issue, please respond directly to this ticket to ensure the proper team is able to see your response.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

Warm Regards,

The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    ________________________________________________________________________________

The Elder Scrolls Online Team response on 07/16/2020 11:42 PM
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is Jonny and I will be discussing this issue with you today.

I do apologize for the delay in response. We are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of tickets at this time and are working our fastest to have these issues addressed and resolved. Unfortunately, Gamepad is not support for the Mac platform as it requires additional third-party software to use. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Warm Regards,
    Jonathan

Hello!

Thanks for your reply but since Catalina the gamepads and specially Xbox bluethoot controllers do not require a third-party software.

In some of the links that I sent some other player already pointed out the problem and add links to possible solutions, follows his comment:

"If any of the developers are looking at this forum, here's how to fix the above-mentioned issue...

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/616/

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/IncorporatingControllersintoYourDesign/IncorporatingControllersintoYourDesign.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013276-CH4-SW4

Please fix this!"

thedavidventer

I hope you take a closer look to this matter.

The Elder Scrolls Online Team response on 07/17/2020 12:37 PM
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team. My name is Daiquann, and it's my pleasure to assist you today.

We thank you for this information, know that we have added it to our report and we will pass it along to the proper team for future review and consideration.

If you have any other issues or concerns in the future then feel free to let us know. Have a nice day.

Warm Regards,
    Daiquann

And that was it… I hope they know by now about this problem of that this can help someone not to go crazy as I went when I bought my controller
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Based on their initial responses, they're still regurgitating solutions and misinformation from many years ago, as if they have not at all kept their knowledge up to date on the latest Apple developments. I wonder if they've ever viewed an Apple WWDC Keynote or if they've ever looked at updated developer documentation and API's. I guess not.

"Not supported - Requiring third party software" - That statement would've perhaps been relevant 3 years ago. Things have changed drastically for gaming on macOS with full support for advanced graphics, game controllers, etc. Dear ZOS, please try to stay up to date with Apple. Watch a WWDC Keynote. Check out the developer documentation... and PLEASE FIX THIS!
  • sarhin
    sarhin
    Soul Shriven
    I stoped my ESO+ account and deleted the game, will be back if at least they fix this…
  • Wolfster
    Wolfster
    ✭✭✭
    I ran into this this week when I came back to the Mac version after playing on PS4 a while.

You can circumvent the issue by connecting the DS4 by cable. If you get weird map behaviour, disconnect-reconnect the controller cable.

It would be nice to use the controller wirelessly but I can put up with the cable. The game plays so much better with a controller.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfster wrote: »
    I ran into this this week when I came back to the Mac version after playing on PS4 a while.

You can circumvent the issue by connecting the DS4 by cable. If you get weird map behaviour, disconnect-reconnect the controller cable.

It would be nice to use the controller wirelessly but I can put up with the cable. The game plays so much better with a controller.

I use an Xbox one wireless controller (bought from Apple). Tried using it with a cable... same result. Moving/looking around and basic attack works, everything else is messed up.
  • TheBunny
    TheBunny
    ✭✭
    Wolfster wrote: »

I use an Xbox one wireless controller (bought from Apple). Tried using it with a cable... same result. Moving/looking around and basic attack works, everything else is messed up.

I believe the Mac version only works with a PS4 controller and a cable.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP @ZOS_Adrikoth

Please see the following:

"Support game controllers in your app"
    "How to add support for game controllers"
    https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=hk2u622s

Also, a guide and example code on how to map the controls accordingly:
    https://developer.apple.com/wwdc20/10614

I recommend installing the 'Apple Developer' App from the macOS App Store, and searching for "controller" within the app to see all the information and guides available from Apple to make gamepad input function correctly in ESO on macOS.
    Get the Developer app here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-developer/id640199958

Please pass this along to the ZOS dev team to fix gamepad input on the macOS game client. Thank you.
    Edited by thedavidventer on September 20, 2020 12:33PM
  • sarhin
    sarhin
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP @ZOS_Adrikoth

Is now Microsoft going to do something about this?

Some official reply would be nice! Thank you!
  • sarhin
    sarhin
    Soul Shriven
    Hello!

Can someone tell me if this is still broken or is working now?
    I am bored and would like to play this game again…

Thanks!
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    sarhin wrote: »
    Hello!

Can someone tell me if this is still broken or is working now?
    I am bored and would like to play this game again…

Thanks!

Still broken. Still no acknowledgment or feedback from @ZOS. Sorry 😢

Zero fixes to the macOS client in the latest update. Full screen mode is still broken. Gamepad input is still broken. Resolution is still limited. Installer still requires double the space of the actual game. I’m staring to lose hope, seeing as I’ve been reporting all these issues after every update since I’ve started playing in APRIL!

The best I can recommend is logging in and submitting an in-game bug report as these forums seem largely ignored by ZOS staff, and when they do respond here, they recommend contacting support, and support responds with the assumption that everything is working fine along with a list of 3-5 year old copy/paste resolutions that are no longer valid. In-game bug reports apparently go directly to the developers. They don’t respond to those but if you love this game as much as I do, please take the time to submit in-game bug reports and hopefully, eventually, they’ll do something about this mess.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    *Launches Game*

*Notices new patch... -downloading-*

*Gets excited*

*Launches game*

*Notices how gamepad input is STILL NOT FIXED*

*rage-quit*
This discussion has been closed.