Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Controller Templates not functional

MontyTheMooch
MontyTheMooch
Soul Shriven
With the advent of Catalina and all of its other associated headaches I'm running Tinto the issue of the ESO controller templates (a, b, c) are not functioning. I can change the template to any given setting and it has zero impact on the control structure. It appears that the only way to affect the control structure is by utilizing the Steam Controller configurator which allows me to get the controls "close", but still has issues.

I'm using an Xbox Bluetooth controller which connects to MacOs seamlessly, but there is no configuration options. Anyone have any success?
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    no success, i downgradet to Mojave. xbox Controller are only working in apple Arcade Games correctly.
    Xbox github driver are not working in cata.
  • MontyTheMooch
    MontyTheMooch
    Soul Shriven
    Correct. I just had an "event" occur in Mojave where all was working fine with the controller then suddenly the settings reverted to whatever Steam had active. I had to completely close everything out and reload the game in order to get the Controller template back inside the game.
  • MontyTheMooch
    MontyTheMooch
    Soul Shriven
    The hits just keep on coming. Played all day with no fewer than 4 crashes. Then at some point..ping...controls go all wonky. I even turned OFF controller in the settings, but still had control with the controller. Damned annoying.
  • qbkitsune
    qbkitsune
    ✭✭
    I just upgraded to Catalina thinking that the game would be playable with the new launcher, only to discover all the keybindings are scrambled for my brand new Xbox One wireless controller that I bought because Apple said it was supported (and they sell the Xbox One controllers themselves). Thanks for posting this thread. I feel a little less crazy knowing I'm not the only one having issues.

I don't have the game via Steam, so I don't have any controller settings to work with, unless someone knows a work-around? I was reading on GitHub that the Apple Arcade games were programmed to work with the new Catalina security and drivers for Xbox One controllers, whereas separate software developers would have to make games compatible with the new inputs themselves. People were commenting about how ESO and a couple other games' controls were swapped or missing in almost the exact same way. I don't have games beside ESO on my Mac to confirm this, but it seems like a huge problem for Mac gamers in general.
  • MontyTheMooch
    MontyTheMooch
    Soul Shriven
    I would not expect this to be fixed any time soon. The driver developer and Apple have kicked it to ZOS. In my last ticket with ZOS they kicked it to Apple.

The only way currently to get the wireless controller to function properly is to physically plug it in. Then the controller will function normally. Assuming you can keep the game from crashing constantly. I'm averaging 4-6 crashes a session
  • qbkitsune
    qbkitsune
    ✭✭
    Whether wired or wireless, the mapping for the Xbox one controller isn't functioning for me in a workable way (I can maybe do light and heavy attacks, but I can't access any skills at all), but I lucked out with my wired PS4 controller. Wirelessly, the PS4 mapping is equally bizarre, but wired it works just as it should with the exception of seeing the written programmed names instead of button icons (under the skills, it should just have a shape or letter, but it says "Gamepad Button..." and the text is overlapping because it won't all fit under each skill box). I'm not sure if it's just my computer or if the drivers for the wired PS4 controllers are actually somewhat functional. Or maybe Sheogorath is having some fun at our expense?